Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Coverage  (Read 17084 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Coverage
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:06:24 am »

Will there be any coverage from DMW? Also, when is it? When can we expect to know how people performed and how many that showed up?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Re: Coverage
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 11:07:05 am »
+2

I have a few friends at gencon.  Maybe I should try to con them into watching it.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
+2

Go Fabian & dondon!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 11:11:41 am »

@rrenaud: Not maybe. You definately should.

@theory: Yeah. I was kinda rooting for people I know of. And since I know Fabian more than I know of him, I'm kinda hoping he ends up winning the whole thing. Go Sweden!

Still. Some results and kingdoms and stuff would be nice.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 11:16:29 am »
+4

I support Fabian because he flew all the way out there :) 

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 02:25:18 pm »

We're having some meeting dinner on Friday and the entire tournament is on Saturday. I've received no information about kingdoms or anything just yet. I think that Fabian and I, among other avid f.ds'ers, will probably be keeping good track of what goes on, though.

As of right now I haven't even been to the RGG room because it's 2:30 pm here and I just woke up, Yeesh.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »
+1

Are there any other f.ds'ers other than you and Fabian?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 02:43:03 pm »

No clue; I've not been told yet who else is participating.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 05:06:10 pm »

Results?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:13:00 pm »
+2

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/843807/wm-dominion
We want to announce the results and congratulate the winner of the 2012 Dominion Tournament, which concluded a short time ago. Kazuhiko Mitsuya of Japan is the winner of this year's tournament. We also want to thank all who participated. All players were respectful and, I hope enjoyed themselves.

Jay

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 08:23:47 pm »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 12:14:35 am »
+6

Better known as manzi  ;)

As far as I know (hopefully I am not wrong):
1st: manzi (Japan) - 26 pts
2nd: Fabian (Sweden) - 21 pts
3rd: Alex (Austria) - 20 pts
4th: dondon151 (US) - 19 pts
5th: Axiom (Norway)
6th: Pepe (Spain)
7th: Mikko (Finland)

I got 2 1st places, 1 2nd place, 2 3rd places, and 1 tie-for-1st. Those 3rd place finishes were a combination of poor luck plus a couple of buying mistakes that cost me a chance at the top :( manzi played excellently except for his first match (where he got a 3rd place); Fabian played very well in general as well but couldn't get to the top because of unfortunate seating position in his final game (3rd player on a Cutpurse kingdom with really nothing else going on).

Jay's going to e-mail us the sets and I may comment on my games after my memory is jogged a bit... I've been playing Dominion all night with Axiom's Norwegian buddies and Alex (all incredibly awesome guys/gal, btw) and am rather fatigued.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:06:19 am by dondon151 »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 12:47:31 am »

Were there only 7 participants or do you not remember the rest? Those japanese guys are good. Two years in a row. Guess it's back to the Dominion Dojo to train! Anyways, congratulations to manzi! And Fabian too. And pretty much all the national champions who made it there!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 01:04:30 am »
+1

Were there only 7 participants or do you not remember the rest? Those japanese guys are good. Two years in a row. Guess it's back to the Dominion Dojo to train! Anyways, congratulations to manzi! And Fabian too. And pretty much all the national champions who made it there!

It was just 7 of us. There was supposed to be an 8th from Brazil, but he couldn't make it, so one of Jay's RGG demo players subbed in for him. He was pretty good, too; he would have tied me for 4th if his score had counted at all.

Unfortunately many of the potential participants from other countries were not going to receive subsidized trips, so they declined to come. Additionally, Germany wouldn't send a representative because supposedly, their national championship takes place at Essen, which is after Gen Con, and they didn't want to send last year's winner for whatever reason...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:05:43 am by dondon151 »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 01:07:46 am »
+1

I'll bet that was refreshing for manzi after losing to olneyce in the DS tournament.  Wish I could have been at Gencon to see this. (And, uh, get Dark Ages early)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 02:46:54 am »

Did you guys get any special like a copy of DA or anything? And, what about Fabian. He came in second and paid for his transportation. I wonder if Jay was nice and offered him some sort of reward, even if it weren't cash.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 03:40:25 am »

Did you guys get any special like a copy of DA or anything?

Nope. :( No consolation expansions for us. Would have really liked it, though. I think they're all sold out right now at the venue, too...

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 11:14:00 am »
+5

Better known as manzi  ;)

As far as I know (hopefully I am not wrong):
1st: manzi (Japan) - 26 pts
2nd: Fabian (Sweden) - 21 pts
3rd: Alex (Austria) - 20 pts
4th: dondon151 (US) - 19 pts
5th: Axiom (Norway)
6th: Pepe (Spain)
7th: Mikko (Finland)

I got 2 1st places, 1 2nd place, 2 3rd places, and 1 tie-for-1st. Those 3rd place finishes were a combination of poor luck plus a couple of buying mistakes that cost me a chance at the top :( manzi played excellently except for his first match (where he got a 3rd place); Fabian played very well in general as well but couldn't get to the top because of unfortunate seating position in his final game (3rd player on a Cutpurse kingdom with really nothing else going on).

Jay's going to e-mail us the sets and I may comment on my games after my memory is jogged a bit... I've been playing Dominion all night with Axiom's Norwegian buddies and Alex (all incredibly awesome guys/gal, btw) and am rather fatigued.

So, i'm the Austrian guys finishing 3rd. Since we didn't receive the list of Kingdoms used, i will comment on my games when we have them. Manzi is the true champion, no doubt about that.

Fabian is a worthy 2nd, although i would not second his bad luck on seating. Everybody had 2 games in 3rd position. I had a SeaHag game when i was 3rd, and there was nothing you could do either (and in the end i was one point short of 2nd plac). In my last game 1 had a shot at the last Province but ended up with 7 coins. So with a little bit of better luck i could have made 2nd Place.

So everybody in the Tournament has his Story of "bad luck", even manzi finished one game in 3rd Place probably also a game where he couldnt do anything about it. In the end the strongest player won, and that is how it should be.

The rest of the GenCon i spent playing Dark Ages one game after the other with dondon and the Norwegian guys (5 of them). They were all quite strong players, so i enjoyed that a lot. You dont get to play strong players IRL so often.

Well we didn't receive any complementary sets officially, but Jay from RGG provided us with a couple of expansion sets and base cards with new art to play around. So in the end everybody who stayed there a little bit longer ende up receiving some sort of Price.

The points as far as i remenber were

Axiom 18
Pepe 11
Mikka 10

Pepe was a little bit handicapped, because in Spain the tournaments are only with the base set, and he had very little expirience with all the other cards. So he was easy prey. Mikka on the other hand was a former Magic PRO, and plays now poker. Dominion is more of a side hobby for him, and as he said it was more an accident that he won his nationals. He is not a bad player at all, but he hasnt played a tremendous lot of games, so he lacks expirence.

Besides that there were some really good games going on. I remember especially one where all the Victory points were bought out before the last Province. That was quite intense. When the sets are out, i would love to here comments from the other players about the games.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 11:53:06 am »

I don't really agree with you on the luck part. If everyone plays from 3rd seat 2 times there could still be a lot of luck. Say I get to be 3rd player on a BM+Smithy Board, it's not half as bad as being 3rd on a Witch/Sea Hag/Cutpurse board. I know manzi is a great player, and I'm pretty sure he deserved to win, though. ;)

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 12:09:39 pm »

I don't really agree with you on the luck part. If everyone plays from 3rd seat 2 times there could still be a lot of luck. Say I get to be 3rd player on a BM+Smithy Board, it's not half as bad as being 3rd on a Witch/Sea Hag/Cutpurse board. I know manzi is a great player, and I'm pretty sure he deserved to win, though. ;)

What i wanted to say is, that all the guys on the top were hit quite equally with their 3rd place kingdoms. I got hit with Sea hag, Fabian got hit with Cutpurse. I can't remember what manzi had to face since his 3rd place was in the very first game (or he just wanted to give us a head start). The bad thing that happened to Fabian was that it was the last game of the tournament, when he received the cutpurse beating (by me btw.). So i can understand his frustration on that point. On the other hand he already had all the good starting positions, and should have made them count.

In retrospect it was a fair tournament. The only edge you could get was playing the guys fom Finland ans Spain twice, because that were the easy points to be had

rhitmojo

• Pawn
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:45 pm »
+7

This is the RGG guy that filled in for Brazil.  I had a great time playing in the tourney and was mostly happy to not constantly lose and make a fool of myself.  I remember being very impressed with not only the play of all involved but also the candor and feel of those playing.  The one game that manzi lost was the first game with myself and dondon51.  I don't remember very clearly (the whole day is a bit of a blur since I was also sleep deprived) but the board was something along the lines of:
Steward
Minion
Worker's village
Militia
Conspirator
Council Room
Bureaucrat
(not sure what else was there)

I saw the engine potential with worker's village/militia/conspirator/council room but figured that a bureaucrat could both slow down the engine and race with BM, which is essentially what I did.  I opened silver/bureaucrat and both manzi and dondon51 opened militia/steward.  I eventually supplemented with Council Rooms (since both were drawing most of their deck anyways) and stuck with BM, went green fairly early, and was able to win the race.  I remember that game because it was particularly intense.  I don't remember the final scores (perhaps one of the players wrote them down) but I do remember that the engines were starting to majorly kick in and I was definitely getting nervous, thankfully I had amassed enough earlier provinces to come out on top.

Another game I was in had the following:
scheme
festival
smithy
bordervillage
moneylender
cache
stables
(i don't remember what else)

I opened scheme/moneylender and the two others opened silver/moneylender.  I was able to very quickly get an engine going that just got better over time, leveraging schemes to keep it going.  By the end I had scheme/bordervillage/smithy/festival/moneylender/stable and kept buying cache's to get coppers back *in* my deck to keep things going with moneylender/stable (i think when the game ended I had 3 cache's and only 4 coppers in my deck, or something along those lines).  That was a very enjoyeable game.

I also remember having two boards where there were hunting party + tournament and no cards that handed out curses.  In each game, the person who got followers won :-/.  Once it was me and the other time it wasn't.  One of those games was the one where all the duchies and all the estates were purchased before the final province.  At the end of the day I went 3wins - 1 tie for second - 2 third place finishes for a total of 19 points, tied with US.  GO BRAZIL! ;-)

EDIT: One last thing.  Dark Ages was not used because it was determined that due to possible language issues, it would not be fair to include a new set that not everyone had time to understand and would only have cards/rules in english available on hand.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:34:39 pm by rhitmojo »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 04:48:51 pm »

So everybody in the Tournament has his Story of "bad luck", even manzi finished one game in 3rd Place probably also a game where he couldnt do anything about it. In the end the strongest player won, and that is how it should be.

No, manzi legitimately played rather poorly that game. Maybe luck had a little to do with it, but he opened Steward/Steward, trashed down to a point where he didn't really have buying power, didn't get Council Room (which, unfortunately, is necessary for an engine because that's the only +buy in the kingdom), and started buying Provinces when his deck was not prepared to consistently hit $8.

I opened Militia/Steward and my Steward fell to turn 5. I'm pretty sure that had that not happened, I would have accelerated much faster and pulled out a win. Additionally, I probably made a mistake where I bought Minion on my first $5 instead of Council Room.

(Final score was 42-39-25. I should have bought the last 2 Duchies on my last turn instead of ending the game: if neither you nor manzi could buy a Province, I would have had a chance at winning.)

Here's hoping that Jay remembers to e-mail us the kingdoms; I distinctly remember what went on in all of my games, but I don't want to give a full report without knowing all of the cards first.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:54:19 pm by dondon151 »

Turambar

• Baron
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 03:54:25 am »

I remember the kingdom where Axiom, Manzi and a third I don't remember played, because it was the exact same kingdom i played at Essen last year:

DomAlc: Chancellor, Festival, Moat, Witch, Woodcutter / Apprentice, Golem, Philosopher's Stone, University, Vineyard (from http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/714428/dominion-wm-tournament )

Not really sure why this was reused, if Donald X reads this, maybe he'll comment?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 08:09:28 am »

That kingdom haunts me to this very day. D: I played it soo badly. I was really set on opening Chancellor/Potion, but got a 5/2 split and fell behind on the Potion because I didn't really think about buying it for my 5. Haven't made that mistake again since then. :)

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:33 am »

That kingdom haunts me to this very day. D: I played it soo badly. I was really set on opening Chancellor/Potion, but got a 5/2 split and fell behind on the Potion because I didn't really think about buying it for my 5. Haven't made that mistake again since then. :)

I would guess it wasnt reused on purpose. Jay from RGG had a list of sets
And used them at will. I don't think we played the sets Donald created
but other ones. Maybe Donald used some cards from Dark Ages
and we agreed at the welcome dinner not to use them, so maybe
that's why old kingdoms were replayed
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.