Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Do we know when exactly it's going up?  (Read 114364 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Do we know when exactly it's going up?
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:19 am »

Not being able to spend the exact amount of money you want sucks, but that is how Xbox Live has been doing it forever. I suppose you could argue that Xbox Live is a better service though.

Just because other people are doing it too doesn't make it right.

This was probably the best post @ bgg yesterday

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/12629?commentid=3133969#comment3133969

Last year at genCon, I had the opportunity to meet with the Goko(then FunSockets) guys. They wanted a license for Innovation, along with other Asmadi products. Really nice guys, but something just didn't feel right about the whole deal. They wanted a long term exclusivity contract, and I just wasn't interested in ceding that control for years with no guarantee of delivery.

They had solid business background, but my read on what they were best at was acquisition. It was an exec team that could boast the most about being able to secure VC funds. They didn't have a ny tech details to offer me except the word HTML5, and so I ultimately passed. I hope they succeed in creating a great online board game portal, but I hope it is not at the expense of offline play for board gamers.

My concern is that people who are good at acquiring funding are not always folks that are good at delivering. They sure did convince a lot of people to give them digital rights, and they got their $8M. I hope they use it to make an awesome site, and not the next 38 Studios.

I think these guys are great business guys, but clearly not great coders
Seems like a pretty fair assessment. I'm just befuddled at how such groups GET so much funding, licenses, etc.

I don't get the outrage over the price-scheming though. I mean, it's not unexpected or dishonest. It is self-serving, but... you live in America, right? How many companies are there around that aren't self-serving? How many people? It's not that it's none, and we were very fortunate to have DougZ as a shining example of someone who wasn't. But while this price scheme doesn't make me all happy inside... color me thoroughly meh.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2012, 08:56:56 am »

From Bgg:

[q="tqboz"][q="tqboz"]Website is now working [/q]

And although its active it dosent appear to allow you to do anything.

DOH......[/q]

I got as far as discovering that when starting a game of Dominion I can pay 'zaps' in order to 'downgrade my opponents deck' and promptly shut the browser in disgust.

(Edit: I should point out this was an adventure game against AI - haven't yet seen if this is allowed multiplayer - I'd hope not!)
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 17, 2012, 08:57:59 am »
+1

I don't get the outrage over the price-scheming though. I mean, it's not unexpected or dishonest. It is self-serving, but... you live in America, right? How many companies are there around that aren't self-serving? How many people? It's not that it's none, and we were very fortunate to have DougZ as a shining example of someone who wasn't. But while this price scheme doesn't make me all happy inside... color me thoroughly meh.

Let's go with Valve as an example of a company that doesn't appear to be out to bone us over?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2012, 08:58:54 am »
+1

Let's go with Valve as an example of a company that doesn't appear to be out to bone us over?
Again, I'm not saying they're not out there. I'm saying they're rare.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2012, 08:59:29 am »
+1

I'd totally buy a dominion hat.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2012, 09:00:33 am »
+4

When you don't complain on these things that are only anti-costumer and only self-serving, the anti-costumer will not have any negative impact, so any wise buisness decision would be to ignore costumer.  Therefore, you should complain and not be company-understanding.

Maybe it's rational for them to do so, but it's not rational for us to except it.  Edit: Because, in the long run, what's rational for companies depends on how the costumer behaves.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:01:35 am by DStu »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2012, 09:01:28 am »

I manged to get to main screen without any UI (just background) + music.

This sucks. I think I'll go ... study.  :-\

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2012, 09:03:19 am »
+1

When you don't complain on these things that are only anti-costumer and only self-serving, the anti-costumer will not have any negative impact, so any wise buisness decision would be to ignore costumer.  Therefore, you should complain and not be company-understanding.

Maybe it's rational for them to do so, but it's not rational for us to except it.  Edit: Because, in the long run, what's rational for companies depends on how the costumer behaves.
I have bigger things to complain about.
Do you guys actually think your complaints will do anything? All that they're going to care about is whether people buy the stuff or not.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2012, 09:04:06 am »
+1

My thinking is this - some evil you just can't avoid - you're probably paying some manner of cable company or telecom.  You pay too much for text messages (which are cheaper to deliver than voice - but still cost more money).  You have to shave your face so you overpay for razors.

But for a small company and a non-essential product - I would much rather support someone who is friendly to their consumers.  I have no interest in the Zynga of boardgaming.

DerWaldschrat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2012, 09:04:49 am »

Totally agree with DStu.
See it like that: If you buy the boardgame, you have 100% control about what you are doing with it where to take and so on.
If you buy virtual goods in a store like that, you are completely dependend on them: You do not know whether their service will shut down, if there is a lot of server load, the service is broken and so on...
So pricing is ok, but it should not be to much because it is not 100% reliable

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2012, 09:06:03 am »

My thinking is this - some evil you just can't avoid - you're probably paying some manner of cable company or telecom.  You pay too much for text messages (which are cheaper to deliver than voice - but still cost more money).  You have to shave your face so you overpay for razors.

But for a small company and a non-essential product - I would much rather support someone who is friendly to their consumers.  I have no interest in the Zynga of boardgaming.

And that's totally fine. But I am perplexed by the complaining much more about this pretty standard, accepted price scheme, than, say, the huge, gaping lack of security. Which is why I'm going to steer clear of the thing for a long time, at least.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2012, 09:06:17 am »

I have bigger things to complain about.
Do you guys actually think your complaints will do anything?
Rationalizing what's good for companies also does not change anything, and we have spend as many posts on this.

All that they're going to care about is whether people buy the stuff or not.
Yepp, in the end, that's exactly what you have to consider when you don't like the behaviour of some companies. But for first, maybe you can talk...

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2012, 09:08:32 am »

And that's totally fine. But I am perplexed by the complaining much more about this pretty standard, accepted price scheme, than, say, the huge, gaping lack of security. Which is why I'm going to steer clear of the thing for a long time, at least.

Yepp, but also, things do add up. I don't know excatly anymore why end ehrn I entered this thread, but I don't like this "they are companies, they do what is good for you and we should understand and except that"-attitude.  What's good for them depends on us.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2012, 09:09:21 am »

Yepp, but also, things do add up. I don't know excatly anymore why end ehrn I entered this thread, but I don't like this "they are companies, they do what is good for you and we should understand and except that"-attitude.  What's good for them depends on us.
I'm not saying we should accept it. I'm saying that whining about it doesn't help anything.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2012, 09:10:14 am »

I'm not saying we should accept it. I'm saying that whining about it doesn't help anything.

So whats your recommended approach?  Don't pay?

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2012, 09:10:43 am »
+2

What do you have against whining?
It's a time-honored and instinctual means of getting attention.
This user is banned.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:04 am »

I'm not sure if I agree with "not anything", but you are right, there are more effective means...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2012, 09:11:31 am »
+1

Well, if that bothers you enough, yes. The pricing thing doesn't bother me that much, but other stuff does. But basically, yeah, don't pay.

polonkus

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:12 am »

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"
This user is banned.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:52 am »
+2

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2012, 09:13:13 am »

You're not getting THEIR attention by whining here... only annoying already aggravated people more. They don't read what's going on here. If you want to whine to them directly, be my guest. Don't know how much that will help you, but go ahead.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2012, 09:13:30 am »
+3

I've yet to even get an opportunity to pay for anything on Goko...and I've been trying for half an hour.  Makes me think I definitely shouldn't/won't pay.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

polonkus

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:22 am »
+1

You're not getting THEIR attention by whining here... only annoying already aggravated people more. They don't read what's going on here. If you want to whine to them directly, be my guest. Don't know how much that will help you, but go ahead.
It's also a fairly well established method of commiseration... the "bitch session". I guess my question is why does it annoy you so much?
This user is banned.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:58 am »
+3

It's also a fairly well established method of commiseration... the "bitch session". I guess my question is why does it annoy you so much?
It distracts from the much larger, more important problems for which communication actually does something important.

Like the fact that they have BASICALLY NO SECURITY AT ALL

polonkus

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:16 am »

It distracts from the much larger, more important problems for which communication actually does something important.

Like the fact that they have BASICALLY NO SECURITY AT ALL

Fair enough, no argument there.
This user is banned.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.