Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
Music
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:13:50 pm »
+2

Since I looked and did not find such a topic, I made it.

What's everyone's favorite/least favorite Music genre/artist/song?

My personal favorite artist is Two Steps From Hell, they are just awesome. The genre is an awesome genre called Epic music, that is getting fairly popular. As for what I don't like, I absolutely despise Pop, Rap, Hip-Hop, Country Rock, and Dubstep. Everything else, I just tend not to listen to.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Music
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »
+1

"Pop, Rap, Hip-Hop, Country Rock, and Dubstep."  That's a lot of music!  I have the feeling you're wrapping a blanket around some of those, but I'm sure you have your reasons and I'm not here to judge.  For the record, I also hate dubstep (it being one of the few genres I just don't understand).  Even blanket genres I'm not warm to, like prog and metal, I've at least been able to find one group I can appreciate on some level.  (Also, technically rap is just a non-genre that falls under hip-hop, but eh, it's semantics on the base level) 

I use the website Rateyourmusic to help me find new stuff, and have for several years.  It's probably slanted my perspectives, but I can't complain because I never really found anything I liked besides video game music before I went there. 

I listen to lots of singer-songwriter/folk music, indie pop, video game music, Brazilian music, post-rock and post-punk era stuff.  My favorite bands are Talking Heads, Godspeed You Black Emperor and Los Hermanos.  My favorite solo artists are Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Fiona Apple.    I also like making lists of things and was tempted to just list 500 things, but I stopped myself. 

My least favorite genres of music are pretentious [insert genre name here] metal, electronic music that sounds like it was made in FLStudio by amateurs, most dance music, stuff that plays in grocery stores, and hardcore gangsta hip-hop.  I don't really have anything against most of those, they just audibly annoy me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:57:48 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:04:49 pm »

"Pop, Rap, Hip-Hop, Country Rock, and Dubstep."  That's a lot of music!  I have the feeling you're wrapping a blanket around some of those, but I'm sure you have your reasons and I'm not here to judge.  For the record, I also hate dubstep (it being one of the few genres I just don't understand).  Even blanket genres I'm not warm to, like prog and metal, I've at least been able to find one group I can appreciate on some level.  (Also, technically rap is just a non-genre that falls under hip-hop, but eh, it's semantics on the base level) 

I use the website Rateyourmusic to help me find new stuff, and have for several years.  It's probably slanted my perspectives, but I can't complain because I never really found anything I liked besides video game music before I went there. 

I listen to lots of singer-songwriter/folk music, indie pop, video game music, Brazilian music, post-rock and post-punk era stuff.  My favorite bands are Talking Heads, Godspeed You Black Emperor and Los Hermanos.  My favorite solo artists are Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Fiona Apple.    I also like making lists of things and was tempted to just list 500 things, but I stopped myself. 

My least favorite genres of music are pretentious [insert genre name here] metal, electronic music that sounds like it was made in FLStudio by amateurs, most dance music, stuff that plays in grocery stores, and hardcore gangsta hip-hop.  I don't really have anything against most of those, they just audibly annoy me.

I don't think I've ever listened to much Video game music. Do you have anything you recommend?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:10:19 pm »

I usually listen to music from games I like, which helps gateway it a bit.  If you have no idea what to try, the soundtrack to Nier is fantastic.  I can't really recommend to genre to people who aren't familiar with the games I guess, or people who don't need tons of background music like me.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33:03 pm »

Tbh, I didn't really like the Nier stuff, it was too.... I dunno.... boring?
I like intense and/or fast paced and/or really intricate stuff like this:
- This is my all-time favorite tsfh song.
and this:
- my all-time favorite song.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:18 pm »

It's really hard for me, personally, to explain what I like without delving into personal artists. So I'll just start out with this: http://www.last.fm/user/ZBuchalski

I really love blues rock, also singer/songwriter and some folk. It's really hard to generalize, though, because there are very few genres I dislike just because they're a member of that genre. I even like some of that hardcore gangsta rap jsh mentioned earlier. I haven't heard any dubstep I like, but I wouldn't put it out of the question.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:44:12 pm »

This is now a last fm thread: http://www.last.fm/user/jsh357

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:17:03 am »

http://www.lastfm.se/user/Lekkit

It's not really up to date. But it's pretty accurate anyway. You could possibly add Muse to that list.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 06:36:05 am »
+1

Rock, Metal, some Singer/Songwriter.

=> stuff like Rush, Springsteen, New Model Army, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Primus, Overkill, Testament, Nevermore, Slayer, Dylan, Cash, Beatles, Stones etc.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 08:13:15 am »

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:41:34 pm by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 09:42:23 am »
+2

My personal favorite artist is Two Steps From Hell, they are just awesome. The genre is an awesome genre called Epic music, that is getting fairly popular. As for what I don't like, I absolutely despise Pop, Rap, Hip-Hop, Country Rock, and Dubstep. Everything else, I just tend not to listen to.

You might like the Pandora "Epic Soundtracks" radio.  I listen to it when working or boardgaming.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 01:00:31 pm »

You might like the Pandora "Epic Soundtracks" radio.  I listen to it when working or boardgaming.

I have something similar if you're all interested: http://www.pandora.com/station/907802464688804950

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:22:33 pm »

I like a whole lot of music from the mainstream to the completely obscure. Actually there is very little music I find myself unable to derive any enjoyment from. My collection is outrageous in scope and size.

All that said, the band I most like that pretty much everyone recognizes and knows at least one song they dig is Modest Mouse.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 02:00:28 pm »

I like a whole lot of music from the mainstream to the completely obscure. Actually there is very little music I find myself unable to derive any enjoyment from. My collection is outrageous in scope and size.

All that said, the band I most like that pretty much everyone recognizes and knows at least one song they dig is Modest Mouse.

I'm like a hermit when it comes to music.  I honestly do not know anything about a supposed band named Modest Mouse, nor any of its songs.

And I know, per xkcd 903 (and the alt-text on xkcd 333), that I could go find these things fairly easily.  I have very little motivation to do so, tbh.  Because in the end, I just don't find the discovery of music as compelling as the discovery of other things.

I do enjoy singing, though.  The right kinds of choral music is amazingly fun and fulfilling to sing.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 02:29:58 pm »
+1

I have something similar if you're all interested: http://www.pandora.com/station/907802464688804950

I'm digging this!  Added to my stations.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 02:30:48 pm »
+3

I'm like a hermit when it comes to music.  I honestly do not know anything about a supposed band named Modest Mouse, nor any of its songs.

And I know, per xkcd 903 (and the alt-text on xkcd 333), that I could go find these things fairly easily.  I have very little motivation to do so, tbh.  Because in the end, I just don't find the discovery of music as compelling as the discovery of other things.

I do enjoy singing, though.  The right kinds of choral music is amazingly fun and fulfilling to sing.

I strongly recommend Pandora.  The way I have it set up now, I basically have one station that 80% of the time plays songs I know and like, and 20% of the time plays a new song for me that I also like.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »

Yes, definitely Pandora.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »

Punk (well, actually, Serbian bands only), Power Metal, Irish Rock/Pank/Whatever.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 12:38:03 pm »

Punk (well, actually, Serbian bands only), Power Metal, Irish Rock/Pank/Whatever.

why only serbian punk? is that it's own subgenre, or do you just prefer that style of music sung in that language? im curious to hear some of it now.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2012, 12:49:01 pm »

I'm from there. I didn't really get into any other bands than locals (mostly due to concerts and stuff).

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 07:37:37 pm »

I mostly listen to video game music - original soundtracks, chiptunes, and remixes. If you are interested in that kind of stuff, I highly recommend Rainwave. It is a social online radio site that hosts 5 different channels: newer game music, chiptunes, game music covers, remixes from OCR, and a channel that plays a combination of all 4 other channels. It's great to listen to while playing Dominion (especially compared to the Goko music).

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 05:31:07 pm »

I don't think I've ever listened to much Video game music. Do you have anything you recommend?

I don't either, but Bastion is the exception (and also a great game).

I have a pretty eclectic list shouldered by Tom Waits, Porcupine Tree, and Wuthering Heights.
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 03:58:27 am »

When it comes to video game music, Castlevania is the only thing I listen to. But that music is great!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 04:00:33 am »
+1

When it comes to video game music, Castlevania is the only thing I listen to. But that music is great!
I have the tune from the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past as my ringtone. ;D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 04:22:32 am »

I had for the longest time.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 09:19:15 am »

My favourite piece of video game music:

Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 09:48:39 am »

I will listen to anything, and I do mean anything. I 100% support lastfm, http://www.last.fm/user/danboyle86 is my page. Grew up listening to pretty much only classic rock so bands like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Electric Light Orchestra will always be among my favorites, but I really don't discriminate. As far as I'm concerned, there's pretty much a time and place for any song, even if I'm playing it in jest.

Pandora is definitely a great site too, but I really like Lastfm's recommended radio suggestions as well. And if you love statistics (pretty much anyone on this forum as near as I can tell), you can't beat the listening and trending stats it provides.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 10:13:06 am »
+3

i would encourage the last.fm users out there to also check out the last.fm playground as well as lastgraphs. they both take your listening data and do some cool stuff with it.  i am a big fan of the genderplots on the playground, which attempt to guess a user's age and gender based on listening history. lastgraphs has detailed plots, a few nice visualization options, and lets you pull all your own data to a working file.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:33:27 am by greatexpectations »

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 10:22:46 am »

Those are definitely some cool sites, especially that playground one. Almost makes me want to be a subscriber to try the VIP ones...

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 07:10:48 am »

My favourite piece of video game music:

While the music is nice in that game, I really hate it. We played it during a marathon, and we couldn't get past the laboratory...

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 08:22:42 am »

Too bad last.fm won't put out a working Android app since that's the only way I wold check them out.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 02:43:18 pm »

theory has mad piano skills.  You should hear him play Vanessa Carlton ;P.

I want to see video.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 03:47:49 pm »

Too bad last.fm won't put out a working Android app since that's the only way I wold check them out.

simple last FM scrobbler works in all my players

Saucery

• Thief
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 09:23:10 am »

I love TSFH. In addition to this, the occasional rock or metal (The Black Keys - Little Black Submarines)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 10:27:42 am »

I love TSFH. In addition to this, the occasional rock or metal (The Black Keys - Little Black Submarines)

i've become quite a fan of the black keys in recent months. good stuff.

and not sure how many other fans of punk there are out there, but i figured id toss out that i just got to spend last weekend at the fest. pretty solid experience, overall.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 10:49:02 am »
+1

Speaking of video game music, this was the song my wife marched down the aisle to at our wedding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2jxrcKAxvA

All you nerds may now be jealous of me. :D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:10 am »
+3

All you nerds may now be jealous of me. :D

as a nerd i am indeed totally jealous. you have a wife!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 07:58:03 pm »

Classical.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 07:58:28 pm »

Meaning classical music.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.