Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #28 - Studio  (Read 2284 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Clasic_Cards #28 - Studio
« on: August 15, 2012, 06:24:42 pm »

Studio (3)
Treasure - Victory
$1
1VP
When you play this, discard the top card of your deck. If its a...
...Treasure card: +$1.
...Victory card: +1VP

• This was a difficult card to conceptualize. I went with studio because its a property that churns out goods, often to be multiplied into more goods. If you have a better idea, let me hear it.
  • I think it's fine to spam these. It's like Fool's Gold in its effectiveness, though a bit more reliable on getting you somewhere. I swayed between costing it at 4 and 3, but I think it can be reasonable at the lower cost, though a great deal better.
  • This was an idea I didn't quite work out for the dual-type contest. I got it to where I want it finally, but submitted something else instead. Obviously a play on Tribute.

Kelume

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Re: Clasic_Cards #28 - Studio
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 06:53:13 pm »

Surely has to be too strong in big money? On top of being usually a silver worth 1vp, it also gives 1vp periodically at the cost of only 1 coin, and more often toward the end of the game when you need it most. Not only that, hitting itself makes it a non-terminal Monument for $1 less.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »

I'm assuming I get both bonuses if I use a Studio to flip over another Studio, right?

+1VP seems like a very dangerous ability to put on a non-terminal, even if you don't always control what is your next card, and especially if there's some way for you to get Coppers out of the way. This costs $1 less, gives $1 less, and is not guaranteed +1VP like Monument, but it can be played repeatedly without any help required, so getting multiple +1VP per turn is more feasible. It's why I like Venture more than Adventurer, despite Venture costing only $1 less and picking up 1 less treasure (and forcing the treasure to be played immediately, which can be bad in certain cases).

Also, Studio doesn't do anything for you if you flip over an Action? This is probably intentional, though I think it might make one more reluctant to use Actions with Studio.

Seems that Kelume summed up my concerns very succinctly though.

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:56:32 pm »

Feels way too strong. Just spamming this could probably beat an engine. Maybe:
Studio (3)
Treasure - Victory
$1
1VP
When you play this, discard the top card of your deck. If its a...
...Treasure card: +$1.
...Victory card costing $5 or more: +1VP

This may still be a bit powerful late-game, but it prevents early spamming.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:47:51 pm »

I knew I should have cost it at 4! The Monument comparison is a startling one. I'm considering this change:

Studio #2 (4)
Treasure - Victory
$1
1VP
When you play this, discard the top card of your deck. If its both of the following, choose one instead. Otherwise, if its a...
...Treasure card: +$1

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:59:12 pm »

I knew I should have cost it at 4! The Monument comparison is a startling one. I'm considering this change:

Studio #2 (4)
Treasure - Victory
$1
1VP
When you play this, discard the top card of your deck. If its both of the following, choose one instead. Otherwise, if its a...
...Treasure card: +$1

Still seems too self-helping and spammable.

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:09:22 pm »

reads really awkwardly. if it's the only treasure-victory, is the occasional monument function really that scary? unless you have some amazing thinning it's rarely gonna actually work. maybe if you open with this and chapel and then pick up some more while you trash down to just 5 of these and a chapel you can get there. especially if you can then pick up an island to get rid of the chapel with. and maybe that's a big enough deal that it needs a fix. but honestly limiting it to 1 isn't much better, since once you're set up you're not actually spending the money anyway, so all you lose is the occasional incidental VP along the way to setting it up.

so in the decks where you're most likely to get the monument function, you're least likely to need it. in decks where you're not, the fix doesn't matter.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:28:08 pm »

It is like the Dark Ages card Ironmonger, except that one is a filtering village, peddler, or lab.

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 06:45:34 pm »

It is like the Dark Ages card Ironmonger, except that one is a filtering village, peddler, or lab.
I really like Ironmonger and Studio wrinkles me the wrong ways. Really, the only meaningful detail that the two cards have in common is flipping a treasure to get +$1. Studio giving away VP chips makes me plenty worried, but +1 Card might be beneficial in the Buy phase, since it might fetch you another treasure to play or draw another card that you might not want on your next turn.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.