Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16  All

Author Topic: Band of Misfits rules questions  (Read 126857 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Band of Misfits rules questions
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »
+1

2) The rest of us wondering if we're supposed to be talking about the leaked cards
Well Reddit is more public than this subforum. They are talking about them on SomethingAwful too. Not on the German forums or BGG though.

So, how many bugs will Band of Misfits have? I think Doug had an obscure one he never fixed.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Band of Misfits rules questions
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 01:57:25 pm »

I seem to remember somewhere Doug being somewhat annoyed about Band of Misfits because it was easily the most complicated card for Isotropic coding purposes?  Or am I misremembering?

"Play this as if it were an Action card in the Supply costing less than it that you choose. This is that card until it leaves play."

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 01:58:43 pm »

Band of misfits probably doesn't work great with empty piles. Also are ruins technically kingdom cards? Could be something wierd with picking a ruin that you don't know if its in the kingdom. The wording on reddit was terrible but assuming you can pick any kingdom card costing less it might function wierdly with picking a treasure if you still have actions left.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:00:43 pm »
+1

I seem to remember somewhere Doug being somewhat annoyed about Band of Misfits because it was easily the most complicated card for Isotropic coding purposes?  Or am I misremembering?
I think it was a combination of, this card is a mess and this expansion will probably never go public anyway.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 02:02:03 pm »

Band of misfits probably doesn't work great with empty piles. Also are ruins technically kingdom cards? Could be something wierd with picking a ruin that you don't know if its in the kingdom. The wording on reddit was terrible but assuming you can pick any kingdom card costing less it might function wierdly with picking a treasure if you still have actions left.
You can only play actions with it; playing the top Ruins is legit and not tricky; you have to pick a physical card, so once a pile is empty you can't pick it anymore.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:03:00 pm »

You can only play actions with it; playing the top Ruins is legit and not tricky; you have to pick a physical card, so once a pile is empty you can't pick it anymore.

I assume that you don't actually gain the card? Or do you?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 02:06:30 pm »

Not from playtesting on Goko. It becomes the card until end of turn, and then is Band of Misfits again. I will say this, when I playtested it, Band of Misfits was a real, real power card, but there were also several viable $4 and under options out. But, on some boards, this card will be amazing!

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 02:08:20 pm »

You can only play the top ruins?

Or this one, I Kings Court Band of Misfits, Choosing Fortress, I then choose mining village and choose to trash band of misfits, Do I get BoM in my hand or no?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:10:05 pm »
+3

Yeah, Band of Misfits is the card that I wasn't even going to attempt to understand until reading the FAQ. Since Donald brought it up, I feel safe posting the actual wording on the card, which should facilitate discussion.

"Play this as if it were an Action card in the Supply costing less than it that you choose. This is that card until it leaves play."

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:09 pm »

Ninja'd by DXV
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:13:19 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 02:12:58 pm »

You can only play the top ruins?

Or this one, I Kings Court Band of Misfits, Choosing Fortress, I then choose mining village and choose to trash band of misfits, Do I get BoM in my hand or no?
You can only play the top Ruins.

When you King's Court BoM and pick Fortress, it locks in as Fortress; the other two plays are also Fortress. It stays Fortress until it leaves play.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 02:14:00 pm »

Well, there's also the question of, if you do play Band of Misfits via Throne Room, do you get to choose a different card the second time? After all, Band of Misfits is still in play when you play it again, so it's still the card you declared it to be.

EDIT: Whoops, Donald beat me to it.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 02:14:15 pm »

You don't gain the card.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 02:16:00 pm »

It's really the various when-you-trash-this and when-you-(would-)discard-this-from-play interactions that are going to make Band of Misfits confusing. I have no idea how those are going to work.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 02:17:39 pm »
+1

I think Band of Misfits might end up becoming my all-time favorite Dominion card.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 02:19:23 pm »
+3

So this is basically a wild card?
-The Compulsive Completist

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 02:20:54 pm »

So this is basically a wild card?

No. You choose what action it becomes. It can be JoaT, Sea Hag, Village, whatever is out in the supply and cost less than $5.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 02:21:55 pm »

It's really the various when-you-trash-this and when-you-(would-)discard-this-from-play interactions that are going to make Band of Misfits confusing. I have no idea how those are going to work.

I thought of the trash this thing but most of them are "Trash this" as opposed to "Trash embargo" which I think makes BoM clear.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »

I think Band of Misfits might end up becoming my all-time favorite Dominion card.

I'm most excited about the two cards that are described but not named in the reddit post, actually. (One of them is mislabeled Fortress in the post and the other on is the one with all the options.)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 02:24:19 pm »

Well, most, if not all, TFB cards are when they are trashed from your hand. Band of Misfits becomes a different action when you play it, so if you trash it from hand, it will still be a Band of Misfits, so you wont get any TFB.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:26:05 pm by Beyond Awesome »

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

I'm most excited about the two cards that are described but not named in the reddit post, actually. (One of them is mislabeled Fortress in the post and the other on is the one with all the options.)

Personal fave is procession and is the card I thought was talked about earlier (I got to play it in a kingdom with fortress :)))

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:05 pm »

As a programmer (and human being) I can understand this, because maaaaan.

Could you play it as a card from an empty pile?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:12 pm »

All the Options one is a great opener for 5/2. It's like a super Chapel.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 02:26:06 pm »

As a programmer (and human being) I can understand this, because maaaaan.

Could you play it as a card from an empty pile?

Don't think so it's worded supply instead of kingdom.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 02:30:49 pm »
+2

So, how many bugs will Band of Misfits have? I think Doug had an obscure one he never fixed.
Some weird interactions with existing cards:
  • Scheme needs to choose an Action card you have in play. But if you played, say, both a Village, a Band-of-Misfits-as-a-Village, and a Band-of-Misfits-as-a-Smithy, the interface for this becomes tricky to get right.
  • Crossroads looks at "have I played Crossroads previously on this turn". I figure BoM-as-XR should count. Tricky to code though.
  • Throne Rooming or King's Courting a BoM: after the first choice of card, it becomes that card, so you don't get to change it the second/third plays.
  • Play a BoM as a Treasure Map with another Treasure Map in hand. You trash it and the Treasure Map from your hand. Do you get 4 Golds? TMap says "if you do trash two Treasure Maps". Note that, going by BoM wording, it does not become a Treasure Map until after being played. So I think at the time you trash it, it's not a Treasure Map, and therefore you don't get 4 Golds.

Furthermore, since the card actually leaves play while being played, BEFORE "this is that card until it leaves play" takes effect, it actually becomes a Treasure Map permanently once in the trash. If you Graverobber it from the trash, you can then later play it as a normal Treasure Map to trash it, and at that point it becomes a BoM again in the trash. LOL?
  • Play a BoM as an Island. As with TMap, it leaves play before the "this is that card until it leaves play" instruction, so it actually is still an Island on the Island mat, and therefore counts for 2 VP at the end of the game.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:33:07 pm by blueblimp »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.