Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: Ask FunSockets anything!  (Read 82796 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: Ask FunSockets anything!
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2012, 07:49:31 pm »

Weird. Reasonable enough, but what if somebody uses promo cards to get just KC, Goons, Masquerade, and then plays with just those and base? :P

It wasn't worded very clearly, but I THINK you only get a promo card from the set associated perhaps?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2012, 07:51:49 pm »

Weird. Reasonable enough, but what if somebody uses promo cards to get just KC, Goons, Masquerade, and then plays with just those and base? :P

That wouldn't be any different than just creating your own deck in thr deck manager (assuming it works at launch) and luring people into games with you, just as happened on Isotropic.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2012, 07:54:43 pm »

That wouldn't be any different than just creating your own deck in thr deck manager (assuming it works at launch) and luring people into games with you, just as happened on Isotropic.
Well my understanding is that when you play "pro" style, it randomly selects one of you and randoms 10 cards out of that person's purchased cards (or maybe 10 cards that either of you own? I'm not sure). So by controlling which cards you have purchased, you influence the random selection.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2012, 08:05:45 pm »

Well my understanding is that when you play "pro" style, it randomly selects one of you and randoms 10 cards out of that person's purchased cards (or maybe 10 cards that either of you own? I'm not sure). So by controlling which cards you have purchased, you influence the random selection.

This is the rumor.  We don't have confirmation on the behavior.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2012, 08:42:54 pm »

It wasn't worded very clearly, but I THINK you only get a promo card from the set associated perhaps?
Well I haven't seen this wording you speak of, but at this point I have a reasonable guess as to what the card gets you, and I'm not going to make a guessing game out of it, but what you said didn't match what I'm expecting.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2012, 08:46:10 pm »

I think promo cards are defined as the promos: black market, envoy, stash etc....  This is how they were organized in the beta - a single card in their own set... like Promo - Governor or something.

If you could cherry pick specific cards - then yes - just cherry picking KC / Goons / Masq would be obscenity.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2012, 09:37:44 pm »

Okay, I'm confused now. Does that mean the Base Set card only unlocks one art of your choosing. lol Getting one card from a set sounds really silly, but this is Goko we are speaking of, so...

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2012, 10:08:59 pm »

Okay, I'm confused now. Does that mean the Base Set card only unlocks one art of your choosing. lol Getting one card from a set sounds really silly, but this is Goko we are speaking of, so...
Currently, people at large do not know what the card gets you.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »

I've read it all before, I just take issue with the premise.  I understand the argument completely and it is logically sound.  I still think it's silly.  Just chalk it down to a generational difference, what with me considering google an extension of my self instead of an unholy abomination the use of which will destroy all that it means to be human.
How about we make a variant where instead of shuffling your deck, you stack it? CC instantly becomes the best player in the world, and hey. Well, with lots of stuff, particularly lots of attacks, you get into this sort of guessing game, which hand am I going to get attacked in? Villages hit perfectly efficiently. Key cards like never miss reshuffles. Your money balances out just how you want. Chancellor turns into a very very strong card. All kinds of stuff happens for you, right? So this is clearly a variant, clearly pretty far away from dominion, and given how much people hate shuffle luck, probably one lots of people would like, too (well, I actually think this game would be degenerate at some point on a lot of boards, so not really, but....). So let that 'count' or whatever. or make it where attacks can be moated by estates, 'cause I hate attacks. Or a thousand other changes you can make. Now, it's not that these changes are all bad per se - indeed, there are definitely some things you can do to make the game a little better - it's just, which things do you do, and why do you do those, and not others? I mean, if there is huge consensus for deck counters, then boom, go for it. But there isn't this huge consensus, so you fall back on the rules as printed.

As for the google-is-an-extension-of-your-knowledge. You may be interested in reading stuff by Dr. Andy Clark, like Natural-Born Cyborgs. Fascinating stuff. Anyhow, while I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with this, like for life in general, it's a bit different when you're looking at entertainment. Like, if I call my car an extension of myself, then really Usain Bolt isn't at all the fastest guy in the world, and nobody would care about him. But we like, for whatever reason, focusing on particular aspects, and limit ourselves to have competitions which focus on these, because we enjoy it more, it's more fun.

I think this would be worth it just to see the logs of CC's games.

I'm missing something... Who is CC?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2012, 10:54:44 pm »

I'm missing something... Who is CC?

CelestialChameleon.  He has been rocking the puzzle forum with ridiculous 5-turn solutions to everything.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2012, 11:34:24 pm »

As it is now, one player hosts the game. I hope that the host ends up being random at some point, but at this point, it looks like one player can host a game, but on pro, your card selection is still random.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2012, 02:45:00 am »

Well I haven't seen this wording you speak of, but at this point I have a reasonable guess as to what the card gets you, and I'm not going to make a guessing game out of it, but what you said didn't match what I'm expecting.

Would you like to see the wording, I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it but I also don't see an NDA in the email
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2012, 03:19:07 am »
+1

Would you like to see the wording, I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it but I also don't see an NDA in the email
Not so much, I just don't want to misinform people.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2012, 10:51:14 am »

It's a long shot, but is there any possibility of playing with unofficial cards on Goko? For example, it would be great to play with the Mini-Set Design Contest cards. Or, to be able to implement fan cards to play with friends. This seems like it would be near impossible without an extensive interface for defining card rules, so I'm guessing the answer is no. But it would be so awesome.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2012, 10:53:41 am »

It's a long shot, but is there any possibility of playing with unofficial cards on Goko? For example, it would be great to play with the Mini-Set Design Contest cards. Or, to be able to implement fan cards to play with friends. This seems like it would be near impossible without an extensive interface for defining card rules, so I'm guessing the answer is no. But it would be so awesome.

Based on DX's reply regarding Goko's straight inability to invent their own cards - this is really a question for DXV I believe.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2012, 11:07:09 am »
+7

Do you want us beta testers to continue beta testing? If so, what version should we be using? Where should we post feedback/bugs?*

*Yes, it's ridiculous I should be posting this here, but we've tried asking them every other way...

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:19 am »
+4

How do you feel about comparisons between your company and Zynga in the mainstream press?

Example: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-08/20/goko-launch-problems

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2012, 11:47:31 am »

How do you feel about comparisons between your company and Zynga in the mainstream press?

From that article:

The elaborate printed expansions for the Dominion card game run between $30 and $45 (£19-£29) at retail -- for their digital equivalents Goko is asking around $15 (£9.50) apiece in their "Gokoins" currency, and special individual cards exclusive to Goko are planned as additional purchases.

O rly?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:19 am »

From that article:

The elaborate printed expansions for the Dominion card game run between $30 and $45 (£19-£29) at retail -- for their digital equivalents Goko is asking around $15 (£9.50) apiece in their "Gokoins" currency, and special individual cards exclusive to Goko are planned as additional purchases.

O rly?

I'm hoping that this is incorrect based on what DXV has stated this weekend.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2012, 02:45:42 pm »

From that article:

O rly?

I'm hoping that this is incorrect based on what DXV has stated this weekend.

At this point whose permission would they need to introduce their own promo cards?  Jay's?  Donald's?  No one's?  That's my question, I guess. 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2012, 03:51:25 pm »
+2

They were interested, and at the moment I am the one shooting this down. I don't want to have to spend time testing fan cards, or to have fan cards I haven't tested.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2012, 03:53:00 pm »
+1

I will have you know, we turned down the people who wanted to do everything with micropayments. You can ignore the hats and just buy expansions. They are in halves but the half size is still the size of the existing small expansions.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2012, 03:54:59 pm »
+2

At this point whose permission would they need to introduce their own promo cards?  Jay's?  Donald's?  No one's?  That's my question, I guess.
I'm not interested in in-depth analysis of legalities. They aren't making any new cards unless I'm okay with it. I'm not. I might at some point agree to an online-only card that I designed, provided it was something that couldn't be done on a card irl.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2012, 04:20:05 pm »

I'm not interested in in-depth analysis of legalities. They aren't making any new cards unless I'm okay with it. I'm not. I might at some point agree to an online-only card that I designed, provided it was something that couldn't be done on a card irl.

I read what you're saying and I read what Goko is saying and they seem to be at odds.  While I certainly consider you the more credible source and I want to believe you, I worry that there's a disconnect somewhere and that Goko fully intends on creating their own content.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2012, 04:26:34 pm »
+7

I read what you're saying and I read what Goko is saying and they seem to be at odds.  While I certainly consider you the more credible source and I want to believe you, I worry that there's a disconnect somewhere and that Goko fully intends on creating their own content.
Worry all you want dude. I'm not worried.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.