Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Ask FunSockets anything!  (Read 82812 times)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Ask FunSockets anything!
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 05:38:41 pm »
+1

I have been buying physical copies of Dominion out of respect for a game developer who allowed Isotropic to continue. Depending on the answer to my questions, this may have been a mistake.

Can I redeem these for online versions?

If I buy a physical copy of Dark Ages, do I get the online copy free?

Do I at least get a discount for having purchased the physical copies?

I believe that the answer to all of those has already been given as no. The online versions are financed independently and have to make money on their own; they get nothing from physical sales.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 05:40:44 pm »

I have been buying physical copies of Dominion out of respect for a game developer who allowed Isotropic to continue. Depending on the answer to my questions, this may have been a mistake.

Can I redeem these for online versions?

If I buy a physical copy of Dark Ages, do I get the online copy free?

Do I at least get a discount for having purchased the physical copies?

I believe that the answer to all of those has already been given as no. The online versions are financed independently and have to make money on their own; they get nothing from physical sales.

Thats not true actually, Base Cards, Guilds and Dark ages all come with redeem cards presumably that can be used to redeem but we don't know what redeeming them does if anything
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 05:45:21 pm »

Oh! Cool. Well, I'm wrong then! Base Cards, Dark Ages, and Guilds do give you something in the online version.

I'm still pretty sure that all previous things that were bought do not interact with the online version, though?

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »

Oh! Cool. Well, I'm wrong then! Base Cards, Dark Ages, and Guilds do give you something in the online version.

I'm still pretty sure that all previous things that were bought do not interact with the online version, though?

This is correct.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Biderman

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2012, 07:22:05 pm »
+1

Diring my testing, I discovered that I can deliberately crash my opponents computer by simply typing code into the game interface? I can easily hack your site to redirect users who are logging in to any site I wish.

What plans do you have to make us feel that your site security is going to be at an acceptable level for us to feel comfortable giving you our credit card info?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:36:39 pm by Biderman »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2012, 07:27:31 pm »
+4

This sort of vitriol does not help anyone. (Edit: Thanks for toning it down. This post is out of date now.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:05:14 pm by blueblimp »

Biderman

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2012, 07:29:19 pm »
+1

This sort of vitriol does not help anyone.

Your right, my could probably use a lot of work. But since I'm asking them to explain why an 18 year old can run circles around their "security procedures" I think it is wholly justified.

-----

Your right. I reworded my post.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:37:29 pm by Biderman »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2012, 12:35:48 am »
+1

New question: Now that you have pushed back the launch to continue beta testing, do you have a new ETA for this product?

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2012, 01:04:37 am »

This sort of vitriol does not help anyone.

Your right, my could probably use a lot of work. But since I'm asking them to explain why an 18 year old can run circles around their "security procedures" I think it is wholly justified.

-----

Your right. I reworded my post.
In fact, I'm younger, and if I felt like it, I could have probably tried to DOS them. But, then, that wouldn't be fun until they fixed the main stuff, then I could DOS to bring to their attention that there is still holes. But, I'm not a complete jerk.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2012, 01:58:53 am »

Diring my testing, I discovered that I can deliberately crash my opponents computer by simply typing code into the game interface? I can easily hack your site to redirect users who are logging in to any site I wish.

What plans do you have to make us feel that your site security is going to be at an acceptable level for us to feel comfortable giving you our credit card info?

This question is already being asked, with less WOOT I AM A HAXOR and more reality.

microman

• Moneylender
  • Stop "Making Fun" of me!
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2012, 02:35:33 am »
+1

How long will it take for players like me, that have a skill ranking of 22 on isotropic, but are new to the forum, to be able to play on goko.com :)

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2012, 08:20:31 am »
+3

We talked about it, and it would be trivial since there already is one which only the AI uses. I don't know for sure if it will happen, but it's likely if people are clamoring for it.

Then I hereby clamor at the top of my lungs not only for a simple point counter, but also for an official full deck counter at least as extensive as Dr Held's Chrome extension. (It could be more extensive in also tracking discarded cards which I would welcome a lot.)

I realize that you ruled that using point or deck counters is a variant and therefore there needs to be an option ensuring that people who don't want to play opponents who use a counter don't get auto-matched with them.

But I and many others like this variant a lot better than the 'normal' Dominion without a counter.

I'll go as far as to say that I'll only really like the goko version if there is a full deck counter for it. For me, this is probably the most important thing about the whole implementation. (Well, after fixing the obvious massive flaws which are still at hand now, of course, but I count that as going without saying... ;))
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:21:34 am by Varsinor »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »
+1

Then I hereby clamor at the top of my lungs not only for a simple point counter, but also for an official full deck counter at least as extensive as Dr Held's Chrome extension. (It could be more extensive in also tracking discarded cards which I would welcome a lot.)
A full deck counter seems very unlikely.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2012, 02:02:48 pm »

One reason I want to know their policy on 3rd-party extensions is because full deck tracking is actually easier here than on isotropic. It's not something they need to implement themselves, as long as they don't intend to forbid it (assuming of course that it's subject to similar constraints as isotropic's PCE).

Edit: Also there are other interesting things, completely unrelated to deck tracking, that could be done with a 3rd-party extension.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:04:44 pm by blueblimp »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2012, 02:05:32 pm »

A full deck counter seems inevitable given what some have revealed about how much information the client has.  Whether that full deck counter is part of the app or not is completely up to Goko.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2012, 04:52:37 pm »

"American Hot" (Pepperoni and chilli slices) or "Hawaiian" (Ham and Pineapple)?

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

Thx for the info. But may I ask why? Do you think it is not worth spending programming time on or don't you or Jay want to support a variant with a full deck tracker for some reason? Or maybe something else entirely?

If it is about the time programming it, I would think that having the information should help a lot for programming better bots as well. Or maybe all cards in the deck are already counted for the bots right now? (That would certainly seem important to program a good bot.)

If the alternative (hopefully ;)) is that some fan programs and distributes an extension, it really seems better to have the deck tracker available as an official option for everyone without installing some extension which might need a specific browser.
I mean, there was the fairness concern about the old deck tracker that it gives an advantage because it displays the information more comfortably for the person who has installed the extension. Which is certainly true to some extent, so it would really be fairer to just have it officially for everyone who plays in a game where all opponents agreed to it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:18:48 pm by Varsinor »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »
+4

Thx for the info. But may I ask why? Do you think it is not worth spending programming time on or don't you or Jay want to support a variant with a full deck tracker for some reason? Or maybe something else entirely?
I am not sure Jay will even approve a point counter. I personally do not mind that, but do not approve of a full deck counter. I do not think it's at all likely that Jay would approve a full deck counter.

I have been down the road of arguing with "but everyone will cheat so therefore everyone should get this" in some other thread here. It did not turn out to be a great use of time that time. When the rule is "you can't use a chess computer to make moves for you," or whatever it is, well, believe it or not, many people will follow the rules. The intention is to let you make a list of people to block (and to friend); use it to avoid playing with people that you suspect of cheating.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2012, 06:01:16 pm »
+1

I have been down the road of arguing with "but everyone will cheat so therefore everyone should get this" in some other thread here.

I think you may have misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about cheating in my posting above at all.

I was talking about the case when all players have agreed to the possible use of a full deck counter which announces itself and provides the information to all players - like the current one for Isotropic. However, it is quite likely that such a deck counter will not be able to display the information as comfortably for people who have not installed the extension - maybe because they do not want to install a new browser or don't like installing unofficial extensions. Which gives some advantage to the people using the extension. Not an illegal advantage which would have to do anything with cheating because the other players have agreed to it, but still.

So this is obviously not cheating but people mutually agreeing to play a Dominion variant which is not the 'mainstream' version, but nevertheless quite popular (at least on Isotropic).
Why shouldn't they be able to do that if it enhances their enjoyment of Dominion?

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:17 pm »
+2

Hey, Goko should be all for that, one more thing to monetize ::)
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2012, 06:07:02 pm »

Additionally, if the official interface doesn't offer an option to prohibit, require or not care about a full deck counter, it might become difficult to tell for sure if all people mutually agreed to the counter variant - like currently on Isotropic. There it can easily happen that people formally agreed to an auto-match with someone announcing the extension in his status but in reality only wanted to agree to the simple point counter and didn't see this status before accepting the game. Having incorporated an official option about the PCE in the interface would have solved this problem.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2012, 06:07:51 pm »

I have been down the road of arguing with "but everyone will cheat so therefore everyone should get this" in some other thread here.

I think you may have misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about cheating in my posting above at all.

I was talking about the case when all players have agreed to the possible use of a full deck counter which announces itself and provides the information to all players - like the current one for Isotropic. However, it is quite likely that such a deck counter will not be able to display the information as comfortably for people who have not installed the extension - maybe because they do not want to install a new browser or don't like installing unofficial extensions. Which gives some advantage to the people using the extension. Not an illegal advantage which would have to do anything with cheating because the other players have agreed to it, but still.

So this is obviously not cheating but people mutually agreeing to play a Dominion variant which is not the 'mainstream' version, but nevertheless quite popular (at least on Isotropic).
Why shouldn't they be able to do that if it enhances their enjoyment of Dominion?

Not sure that I agree this is "obviously not cheating". It's just cheating that everybody is party to.

Varsinor

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2012, 06:14:50 pm »

Not sure that I agree this is "obviously not cheating". It's just cheating that everybody is party to.

Sorry, but this is just ridiculous. I am not sure why it was even necessary because it is obvious, but Donald X. confirmed himself in several postings (let me check quickly, for instance *here*) that mutually agreeing to play a variant is obviously not cheating but totally OK.

EDIT: *Here*'s another link to such a posting from Donald. Note the ironic undertone which seems to imply how ridiculous any other notion would be... ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:23:24 pm by Varsinor »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2012, 06:54:09 pm »
+5

I am totally fine with people playing variants that everyone has agreed to. I do not think it's reasonable to call such things "cheating." They are playing variants that everyone has agreed to.

@Varsinor: Okay to avoid miscommunication over issues that people feel strongly about, let's say instead you were talking about a variant in which, say, you can pay $0 to give another player a Curse, as your buy. I have chosen this as a random thing I don't like that I have heard of people doing.

It's one thing to provide some cards and be fine with people making up their own rules for them. It's another to specifically program a variant and offer it up. I do not wish to offer up variants I don't like. The "pay to hand out Curses" variant has no chance.

Dominion has a lot of variety to it. So providing variants isn't really that exciting. The campaigns do have variants. That variant sounded good for campaigns. A variant for the main game - such as the existing "add platinum/colony plz" variant - is going to have to sound really good to me.

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 18, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »

So if someone has a really really extraordinarily good memory, are they playing a variant too?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.