Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Tournement / Competition?  (Read 10647 times)

Stick In The Mud

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Tournement / Competition?
« on: July 31, 2011, 01:56:25 pm »

Would it be viable / enough interest, to have a tournement on isotropic? Maybe a seeded knock out affair, each round you play best of 3 random kingdoms?

Could be a lot of fun, but I guess a lot of organising.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Tournement / Competition?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:29:02 pm »

I'd be interested but I'm GMT and I have a job, so it might be a bit tricky to meet up with opponents from other continents.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 02:36:51 pm »

This was done through the BGG league, but faltered a couple of months ago. It may restart if people show enough interest. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/940

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »
+1

I would be interested, though I'd certainly lose horribly.  :)

Definitely the hardest part is getting all the players to show up--that's been the case in every online tournament I have run/been in for any game.  I suggest setting a semi-strict schedule and disqualifying stragglers, possibly on a 3 strike rule.  I know it seems malevolent, but I'm just talking out of experience.  A group I play with has been trying to finish a Dominion tournament for several weeks now, and only one group has even met for the first round.  (On that note, 2 player Dominion is probably the easiest to set up by far)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:13:41 am »

There probably would be enough interest if someone organized this.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:18:32 pm »

I think it's easier to run one tournament when every participant is online during the course of an evening / sunday afternoon, rather then spreading out over a couple of weeks and trying to comply with everyone's schedule.

If you just do a knockout tourney with 32 players on Isotropic, there are only 31 (32 if playing for 3rd/4th spot) games that need to be played.
There will be 5 rounds. With each lasting up to 30 mins (Saboteur, Goons, no trash) with some variation and some pee breaks, this can be done within 3 hours.

Alas, my schedule doesn't allow for 3 hours of tourney administration, so I will not be able to do this, although this may change.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

mcshoo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 12:44:54 pm »

What about a season where people can play others over the course of a month (or 3 months?), followed by the top 8 doing a 1 time tournament over the course of an afternoon/week?

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 02:39:00 pm »

I think it's easier to run one tournament when every participant is online during the course of an evening / sunday afternoon, rather then spreading out over a couple of weeks and trying to comply with everyone's schedule.

If you just do a knockout tourney with 32 players on Isotropic, there are only 31 (32 if playing for 3rd/4th spot) games that need to be played.
There will be 5 rounds. With each lasting up to 30 mins (Saboteur, Goons, no trash) with some variation and some pee breaks, this can be done within 3 hours.

Alas, my schedule doesn't allow for 3 hours of tourney administration, so I will not be able to do this, although this may change.

This sounds about right... get everyone together for a quick tournament, results available immediately. 

Would recommend including fixed tables for each round (first team runs random, everyone else copies?)
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »

What do you do in the unlikely but possible event of a tie?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »

What do you do in the unlikely but possible event of a tie?
Sudden death! Maybe drawing virtual straws or something. Not ideal, but perhaps the best solution.
If it was a quick match: a rematch maybe?

We could also do a group stage with 4 players with 3 pts for win, 1 pt for draw and 0 pts for loss, just like in the Football (Soccer) World Cup.
End group ties are less likely and you could apply the same rules as in the World Cup: VP count and results between opponents.
This means that setups need to be fixed for every round, not just past the group stage.

If the number of players is not a power of 2, we could increase the number of players in some groups.
This shouldn't have too big of an effect on the results; the cream will always rise to the top.

I may be able to organize a tourney (if no one else is willing), but probably only for Sunday evening from 19:00 CET (1 PM EST).
I think a time like this accomodates both our American and European players best.

We also need to check who is willing to participate, let's make and quote a list with forum name (isotropic name)

1. Davio (Davio)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 03:19:59 pm »

Ever ever ever using VP count as a tiebreaker is asking for lots of trouble.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 03:55:37 pm »

Yes, but since all games would have the same setup, I think it's ok.

And we could choose to only consider it after the results between the tied players, instead of the other way around.
Example: If John and Sarah were tied for 2nd place, whoever beat the other player would go through, if they had tied, I guess we could count total VPs.

I am also thinking whether we should include Colony and Platinum for every game, since they seem to add more depth to the games, which should favor the better players. If you think this is brilliant or absurdly stupid, please let us know.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 03:59:18 pm »

And we could choose to only consider it after the results between the tied players, instead of the other way around.
Example: If John and Sarah were tied for 2nd place, whoever beat the other player would go through, if they had tied, I guess we could count total VPs.

I am also thinking whether we should include Colony and Platinum for every game, since they seem to add more depth to the games, which should favor the better players. If you think this is brilliant or absurdly stupid, please let us know.

I agree that colony games should favor better players, but I worry that it causes you to develop bad habits as you get use to looking for the engine, rather than figuring out how to province race first.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 04:13:15 pm »

We could also for instance play Province games during the group stage and Colony games afterwards or let it be random for all games.
I'm just trying to accomodate the good players to decrease randomness and crown a deserving winner, even though randomness roars its ugly head with every shuffle.

It would be cool to have a rail function on Isotropic to join and see games between good players live and not just analyze the log afterwards.

To settle ties during the knockout phase, we could let the players play the setup again, but make it a race for the first Province with the 2nd player always finishing his turn if the 1st player buys first. And if the 2nd player buys a P too, it becomes a race for the 2nd P.
If this is too confusing, we could just do the rematch option.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »

You miss my "ever ever ever". It's still asking for trouble.
As for the Colony/Platinum thing, I think it's neither brilliant nor absurdly stupid, but rather good-intentioned but misguided. I don't think good players get extra advantage from the length and complexity, in fact I think there's a mild bias toward the opposite, as longer games tend to make the shuffle even a little more important. But overall, I think they're just different.

I really don't think there's a good tiebreaker beyond that in the rules, and I think the only way to decrease the randomness really is to play more games.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 06:16:13 pm »

I'd be in for something.  I agree with WW that VP count for tiebreaker is not a good idea.  Also, I think for 2-player format, winner of a best of 3 series moves on.  That way, you don't get knocked out solely for unlucky events like drawing your chapel turn 5 with your silver and no estates while your opponent was able to trash all 3 estates on turn 3 or 4.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Agrisios

• Chancellor
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 08:47:09 pm »

I second this. What about a Swiss System format like in Chess instead of a knockout?
A bit less drama, but less luck overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 02:22:20 am »

I second this. What about a Swiss System format like in Chess instead of a knockout?
A bit less drama, but less luck overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_system
I'm ok with this; I have a football background and no chess background, so that's why I thought of the group stage - knockout phase style tournament.

With this system, ties can be handled well I believe.

Agrisios

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 02:42:12 am »

With this system, ties can be handled well I believe.

Yes, a tie is simply a tie. The system is used for Magic as well (I don't have a Magic background though).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 03:46:37 am »

What about the date/time?

Would Sunday 19:00 CET / 18:00 GMT / 13:00 EDT / 10:00 PDT be okay?
We could do it 1 hour later if 10:00 is too early for the West Coasters.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:01 am »

I'm not interested if this is being done in one 3+ hour period. I can't dedicate that much time to sitting on a computer doing nothing. Sorry.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 04:11:38 am »

Well, the time needed depends on the number of entries and the avg game length of course.

The Swiss system has a drawback that you need to play more games, you have to play n-1 games, where n is the number of players.
We could decide to do a double Swiss and let the top player of each ranking do a best of 3 for the Grand Final.

Agrisios

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 04:59:51 am »

The Swiss system has a drawback that you need to play more games, you have to play n-1 games, where n is the number of players.

No, you don't have to. n-1 is a round robin when everybody will face everybody. You can predefine up to which number of players you will play a round robin. If there are too many players the Swiss comes in.

It works as follows: You will have a sorted starting list (Isotropic rating is perfect for this). Suppose you have 100 participants. First round Number 1 will play number 51, number 2 plays number 52 and so forth (there might be further considerations regarding starting position). In the following rounds players with equal number of points will play each other.

Suppose in round 1 all higher seeds win. In round 2 number 1 will play number 26, number 2 plays 27, number 51 plays 76 and so on. There are software applications for this.

The number of rounds is quite flexible - there is a minimum though. So 2^n will determine the recommended max. number of players. 7 rounds are for a maximum of 128 players - but you can easily play 9, 11 or 15 rounds. The application will normally alternate starting position (just like white/black in chess). Odd number of rounds is recommended so that you can better match the best players in last round but not an obligation.

You can play 1 game per round. Or a best of 3 match per round. Ties are just ties. In best of 3 there are max. 5 games. Tie still possible.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:38:53 am by Agrisios »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 05:31:21 am »

Well, this explanation is way better than the one on Wikipedia.  ;D

I get it now, thanks.

Edit: I don't know whether an even number of players is needed. If so I will participate / sit out depending on the number of players.
If it is odd, I'll join in. If it is already even, I'll sit out.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:37:19 am by Davio »

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 02:50:29 pm »

I get it now, thanks.

Edit: I don't know whether an even number of players is needed. If so I will participate / sit out depending on the number of players.

There is a "bye" system to handle an odd number of players if people are fine with this.  When using byes, the currently lowest ranked player in the tournament who has yet to receive a bye in this tournament (for the first game this can be decided randomly or using Isotropic ranking, as Agrisios has suggested) sits out for a round and plays no one, but receives a full win point (i.e. the number of points someone would receive for willing).

If a loss is worth 0 points and a win is worth 1 point, we have to decide how many points a tie is worth; the two standard choices are 1/3 (used in Magic: The Gathering and in group rounds of some association football tournaments) and 1/2 (used in chess).

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 04:28:08 pm »

Tournament? I thought the main discussion would be about the prizes! I would suggest:

Concubine: +1 Card, +1 Action. Trash a card, and gain a card costing exactly one 1$ more than the trashed card, and put it in your hand.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 02:13:16 am »

I get it now, thanks.

There is a "bye" system to handle an odd number of players if people are fine with this.  When using byes, the currently lowest ranked player in the tournament who has yet to receive a bye in this tournament (for the first game this can be decided randomly or using Isotropic ranking, as Agrisios has suggested) sits out for a round and plays no one, but receives a full win point (i.e. the number of points someone would receive for willing).

If a loss is worth 0 points and a win is worth 1 point, we have to decide how many points a tie is worth; the two standard choices are 1/3 (used in Magic: The Gathering and in group rounds of some association football tournaments) and 1/2 (used in chess).
Ties can be delibirately chosen by both players instead of happening "by accident" since both players can keep score. This makes a tie something more of a strategic choice, hence I propose 1/2.

I don't know what the reasoning is behind Magic's 1/3, but I feel the chess scores are better here.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 03:40:39 am »

I assume the choice of 1/3 has the same reasoning as football's choice of 1 for a tie where wins are worth 3 points.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 03:58:00 am »

I assume the choice of 1/3 has the same reasoning as football's choice of 1 for a tie where wins are worth 3 points.

Don't know how it is in Magic, but I would say the situation in Dominion is a different one than in football. In football, you want to give both teams the motivation to play more risky in the end, as with 1/2 points for a tie it is likely that at the 70. minutes both teams settle for it, because they don't want to risk loosing as much as they can win. So the situation is that the game state already IS a tie, and you want to motivate the players to move away from it, to get a little less 0:0 games where nobody does anything for the second half of the second half.

In Dominion, only one player can go for a tie, and that's the second player who usually is (and would even with full points for a tie) in disadvantage. And the game state usually is not a tie, but the second player is behind and strategically can end the game in a tie, when he would, with high probability, have lost in the game in the next turn if he choose to prolong the game.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 04:03:14 am »

We could always go 5/12 which is in between of those two. :)

I think we have to decide whether a tie is a good and respectable result.

Football is a spectator sport and it's more fun to see both teams really go for the win since they get triple the points, not just double. A lot of times in football, both teams are disappointed with a tie, since it helps neither.

Chess is not as flamboyant and if a player makes a mistake early on, but still manages to scramble for a tie, I think he has done very well.

I feel Dominion is more closely related to the chess instead of the football example, therefore I would propose 1/2 for a tie.

The rules say it all: "...rejoice in shared victory!" So, rejoice!

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 04:14:02 am »

Yes, I agree with 1/2. Otherwise it would be "<you> and <opponent> lament their shared victory!"

I'd be interested in this tournament.

sherwinpr

• Spy
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 12:13:45 pm »

Although I hadn't thought about it as much when I posed the 1/3 or 1/2 question, in light of what everyone has said, I think 1/2 makes more sense for Dominion.  Of course, if we want to use integer-valued scores, we can let losses be worth 0, ties be worth 1, and wins be worth 2.

We can even make losses worth 1, ties worth 2, and wins worth 3; this way if someone can't make a game, rather than disqualifying them, they still may be able to place, while we still reward players for participation and playing every game.

It may also be worthwhile to have the top 4 (or 2 or 8, but I think 4 sounds about right) players of the Swiss tournament to play in a knockout tournament (maybe scheduled for a different day).  We could even use best 3 of 5 for that round, but maybe I'm overcomplicating things.

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »

1 for a loss, 2 for a draw, 3 for a win: Sounds good.

Just make sure not to schedule people for so many games that it becomes like BGGDL, which always struck me as more like a scavenger hunt for opponents to play than a tournament.

mikeg542

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »

I would be very much willing to run this. I would also be very willing to create software to pair up for each round and post standings. Here is how I would think it should be run:

I definitely think that it should be a one continuous tournament instead of spreading it out. Almost every sort of tournament that I've seen spread out had 50%+ of the people just disappear after a round or two and make it miserable for anyone who has lost a round or two.

As well, I feel that either the tournament organizer should give a group their kingdom cards or every group in the round is playing the same ones, so that people don't 'accidentally' decline with cards they aren't the best with. This should be testing how good each player is with any sort of group.

I personally like 3 player the best of any player number for dominion, but I understand that takes much longer to run, so I won't push it (however, this makes it possible to have a top 6 than top 2).

For anyone who has played mtg before, it should be run as a swiss tournament (up to 8 players - 3 rounds,  up to 16 players - 4,  up to 32- 5. 33+ - 6 rounds).

I think points should be: winner gets 3, ties get 2, losses get 1. Tie breaks in case of same score should be based on opponent game win percentage. Every round, everyone is paired with someone with the same (or as close as possible) record as them, as long as they haven't played before. Since no round should take longer than 20mins, even with 64 people it would be over in 2 hours.

When would people, if at all, be interested? and thoughts?

rspeer

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 06:20:04 am »

I think points should be: winner gets 3, ties get 2, losses get 1. Tie breaks in case of same score should be based on opponent game win percentage. Every round, everyone is paired with someone with the same (or as close as possible) record as them, as long as they haven't played before. Since no round should take longer than 20mins, even with 64 people it would be over in 2 hours.

When would people, if at all, be interested? and thoughts?

What happens if a game does take longer than 20 minutes? Some Dominion games do. I think the time you've allowed to organize the next round is not just too short, but actually negative.

mikeg542

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 09:38:23 am »

Setting up each round would take 30 seconds - 1 minute, tops. I would say that the average round wouldn't be much more than 20 minutes if at all. The final time was a estimation.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 20 queries.