Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Anyone else looking forward to the campaign/adventure mode?  (Read 11561 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Anyone else looking forward to the campaign/adventure mode?
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:29:37 pm »
+4

My first reaction was "that sounds stupid", but after reading some comment from Donald X about designing kingdoms for it, I think it could be pretty fun. Sort of like solo challenges, except from the designer.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else looking forward to the campaign/adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:32:51 pm »

Oh, definitely. It should be great.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:33:44 pm »

Sounds awesome. Could you please link to the page where Donald talked about it? I must have missed that.

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:34:58 pm »

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it too.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:38:33 pm »

Very much!  I remember that unofficial Dominion client someone made that has a campaign mode.  It was neat too, but this one should be cooler. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:40:01 pm »
+2

Sounds awesome. Could you please link to the page where Donald talked about it? I must have missed that.

well the existence of a campaign mode is sort of old news, but he made a passing reference at designing sets here.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:41:27 pm »

well the existence of a campaign mode is sort of old news, but he made a passing reference at designing sets here.

Nice, thanks.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:19:37 pm »

Yes, I can't await to try this out. I especially hope this isn't only challenging for newer players, but also for more experienced players like all of us.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »
+1

I wonder what sort of challenges they will be.  Get more than 6 Provinces on this board?  Accrue a certain amount of points?  Get all of one pile?  Do some fancy combo trick?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 03:28:36 pm »

I wonder what sort of challenges they will be.  Get more than 6 Provinces on this board?  Accrue a certain amount of points?  Get all of one pile?  Do some fancy combo trick?

Oh, those are just challenges.  I hope the campaign mode will be much more story-focused.  "You must save your dominion from evil prince dickface!"  He sends militias to attack you at every opportunity, but your advisor has taught you to build watchtowers to ward off the oncoming mobs.  If you can amass a large amount of treasure quickly enough, you can buy off the mobs and turn them against him!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »
+5

My first reaction was "that sounds stupid", but after reading some comment from Donald X about designing kingdoms for it, I think it could be pretty fun. Sort of like solo challenges, except from the designer.
I have not actually seen an implemented version of the campaigns, and my details there are sketchy.

A campaign (for a full or half set) consists of 20 levels, each level is a game with 10 cards as usual. I picked out the 10 cards for most of them, but not for the main set / tutorial, and not for a few levels on some of the other ones. Basically when I first saw them I was displeased with how slowly new cards were introduced in them, and I ended up redoing most of the levels to fix that. And they hadn't done all the sets so I just did the other sets. There are a few I didn't change though.

However there is more to a campaign level than that - in particular I think the starting decks may vary by level. Every nth level is a "boss" in some sense, I am not clear on that either. There is story text. I didn't do any of that work, I just picked out the cards.

There are achievements, that is unrelated, and they will not be in the initial launch. There are generic achievements, I don't know what those are, and there are per-card achievements, and I picked out all of those, with help from playtesters.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 03:34:39 pm »
+1

I have not actually seen an implemented version of the campaigns, and my details there are sketchy.

A campaign (for a full or half set) consists of 20 levels, each level is a game with 10 cards as usual. I picked out the 10 cards for most of them, but not for the main set / tutorial, and not for a few levels on some of the other ones. Basically when I first saw them I was displeased with how slowly new cards were introduced in them, and I ended up redoing most of the levels to fix that. And they hadn't done all the sets so I just did the other sets. There are a few I didn't change though.

However there is more to a campaign level than that - in particular I think the starting decks may vary by level. Every nth level is a "boss" in some sense, I am not clear on that either. There is story text. I didn't do any of that work, I just picked out the cards.

There are achievements, that is unrelated, and they will not be in the initial launch. There are generic achievements, I don't know what those are, and there are per-card achievements, and I picked out all of those, with help from playtesters.

I believe you (or someone) mentioned that Promo cards would be unlocked in-game - would that be in the campaign/adventure mode?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:10 pm »

I believe you (or someone) mentioned that Promo cards would be unlocked in-game - would that be in the campaign/adventure mode?
My understanding is that there will be multiple ways to get the promos, and one way will be beating campaigns.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 03:40:13 pm »

Can you play with cards from expansions you don't own in the campaign mode?

I would think so, but rather ask and get an answer.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 03:43:37 pm »
+1

Since that seems like an amazing way to sell the expansions, I would be incredibly surprised if it weren't the case.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »
+2

No, the campaigns are by expansion (or half - a Seaside A campaign, a Seaside B campaign, a full Seaside campaign, etc.), and you have to have the expansion to play them. And then within the campaign it's just that set and the main set. And you own that set since that got you the campaign, and the main set is free, so there you go.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 03:46:29 pm »
+6

No, the campaigns are by expansion (or half - a Seaside A campaign, a Seaside B campaign, a full Seaside campaign, etc.), and you have to have the expansion to play them. And then within the campaign it's just that set and the main set. And you own that set since that got you the campaign, and the main set is free, so there you go.

Please turn your expansion over to Seaside B in order to hear the rest of this recording.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 03:51:07 pm »
+2

Please turn your expansion over to Seaside B in order to hear the rest of this recording.
B-Side to Seaside, that's by Suzy and the Red Stripes. But as a Loud Family fan, I'll stick with The Tape of Only Linda.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 04:27:15 pm »

Glad I asked.  :D

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 04:54:16 pm »

When I first heard about the idea of a single-player adventure mode, I didn't see the point in it. Now that I've played almost exclusively against bots for the last month (and enjoyed it), I see the potential value.

Similarly, I'm against the idea in general of different starting decks, but I'm totally fine with it in the context of a single-player challenge mode. I just hope the people that are designing these "bosses" have a good enough understanding of Dominion dynamics to make them fun and challenging!  :D

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 07:05:06 pm »

I tried to come up with some potential ideas for a good starting deck... no idea what they will come up with. Everything I came up with was either too Over Powered or too Under Powered. -.-
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 07:24:03 pm »
+14

I hear Celestial Chameleon is designing these adventures.  If so, we are all doomed.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 08:57:18 pm »

I hear Celestial Chameleon is designing these adventures.  If so, we are all doomed.

Adventure #3: You have three turns before your opponent's KC-Goons-Masquerade pin is in place. End the game in a win. You were first player, so a tie is a loss.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 10:48:29 pm »

This is the thing I am looking forward to most about Goko.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 01:24:22 am »

Who? o.O
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 01:56:42 am »

There is some info in the game`s javascript already (at least there was yesterday)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 02:49:10 am »

Who? o.O

Check out the Puzzles forum.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 03:15:26 am »
+2

Who? o.O

Check out the Puzzles forum.
It's another one of Donald's alts.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 04:56:03 am »

Actually this is the part of the game I'm most looking forward to.  I've played thousands of games against hundreds of players of all abilities on Isotropic and real life, and against bots in the Funsockets beta, but I like the idea of something that I can do on my own that adds a new twist to Dominion and gives new challenges.

Avin

• Spy
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »
+1

Well at least each adventure will only last for five turns then.

Christy

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 04:18:17 pm »

Well at least each adventure will only last for five turns then.

Looking at those threads, 5 turns for CC is a bit longer for me (or if you get a 'You Fail' screen after each one I'll be able to try each one many times without worrying about already knowing the answer.)
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 20 queries.