Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Black Market with cards requiring Setup  (Read 4433 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Black Market with cards requiring Setup
« on: July 30, 2011, 08:31:25 pm »

Is there an official ruling on how to handle pulling Young Witch out of the Black Market?  Seems weird that you'd pick a Bane card for every game with Black Market but not Young Witch, just in case someone pulls Young Witch out.

I'm also confused about pulling Trade Route out of the Black Market as well.  Let's say some Estates and Duchies, but not Provinces, have been purchased at the time someone pulls Trade Route out of the Black Market.  Do the Trade Route tokens for Estate and Duchy go directly onto the Trade Route mat, or do you put them on the Estate and Duchy piles anyhow and only move the tokens to the Trade Route mat when an additional Estate/Duchy is purchased?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
Re: Black Market with cards requiring Setup
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:21:25 pm »

Is there an official ruling on how to handle pulling Young Witch out of the Black Market?  Seems weird that you'd pick a Bane card for every game with Black Market but not Young Witch, just in case someone pulls Young Witch out.

I'm also confused about pulling Trade Route out of the Black Market as well.  Let's say some Estates and Duchies, but not Provinces, have been purchased at the time someone pulls Trade Route out of the Black Market.  Do the Trade Route tokens for Estate and Duchy go directly onto the Trade Route mat, or do you put them on the Estate and Duchy piles anyhow and only move the tokens to the Trade Route mat when an additional Estate/Duchy is purchased?
In both cases, if the card is in the Black Market deck, you do its setup as if it were in the supply - you put out a Bane card for Witch, and you put tokens on piles with a Trade Route mat for Trade Route.

Yes, it seems weird, but there was no better way to handle it. You can avoid this by not putting cards with setup in your Black Market deck.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:23:08 pm »

Ah, ok, thanks!

Silverback

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 10:38:34 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the official rules say, that the black market deck consists of all cards that are not in the supply.

I like the way it is done on isotropic. Picking 25 cards and revealing them to all players is something you can also do with cardboard.

Should Black Market gain some sort of errata or at least some practical advice on how to put together the black market deck?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 05:47:10 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the official rules say, that the black market deck consists of all cards that are not in the supply.
To use the Black Market Kingdom card, you must create a Black Market deck before starting the game. The Black Market deck is made up of Kingdom cards that are not in the Supply of the current game. The players should agree before the game which cards will be used to create the Black Market deck (for example, you could agree to use one of every Kingdom card you own that is not a part of the Supply). It is recommended that the Black Market deck contain at least 15 Kingdom cards, with no duplicates. All players can see which cards are placed in the Black Market deck before the game begins.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:53:30 am »

If it's optional, why does the text on the card itself support Silverback's version?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:06:11 am »

If it's optional, why does the text on the card itself support Silverback's version?
There's nothing interesting to say here. The card text was written one day and the FAQ another. The FAQ does not intentionally contradict the card text, but the FAQ is what I intend the rules to be. You can only put so much text on a card, and this is a wonky promo. And hey, if you prefer to follow the card text over the FAQ, go for it.

Censure

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 04:14:40 am »

You can avoid this by not putting cards with setup in your Black Market deck.

This seems like the simplest solution to me.

agrajag

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:20:41 pm »

I dunno, I like it when weird stuff like a BM deck with Trade Route or Young Witch happens. Black Market is a crazy card, and stuff like that just makes it even crazier.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.