Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #12: Non-Terminal Draw!  (Read 42632 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #12: Non-Terminal Draw!
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »

Argh there was a tweak I wanted to make to my card, but I put it off and now I've missed the deadline. Oh well. The original version is still not horrible, I think.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 04:25:42 pm »
+1

Bump

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 05:21:13 pm »
+1

Here is the ballot for Challenge #12!  Votes are due in a week.

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Monday, August 27, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

Note that the supplied card names are for discussion/identification only -- they are not the card names that were submitted to me.  The proper card names will be revealed when the results are announced.  Whenever card text says "[This Card]" it means the submitted text says the card's own name there.

Inclusion on the ballot means that the card was deemed eligible for the contest.  You therefore do not need to consider eligibility when voting.  In some cases, this may mean a pretty loose interpretation of the eligibility requirements.  I tried to be fair but also forgiving when a submission came in that twisted the rules in a way I hadn't foreseen.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

Hitchcock
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
Gain a copper in hand.
Gain up to 3 more Coppers, +1 Card per Copper gained.

Wilder
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one that isn't a Victory card or a Curse. Put the revealed cards into your hand. If you didn't reveal a Victory card or a Curse, gain a Victory card costing up to $5, putting it on top of your deck.

Ford
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Discard a card for each other [This Card] you have in play.
Reveal your hand. +1 Card per Copper revealed.

Kubrick
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card for every 6 cards in the trash pile up to 4 cards, rounded up.
If no cards are in the trash pile, +1 Card, +$1.

Welles
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Choose one of the following:
+1 Card, +$1.
+2 Cards, +1 Buy.
+3 Cards, gain a Copper.

Renoir
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If the top card of the trash pile costs more than this card: +1 Card.

Spielberg
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard one of them. Put the other two into your hand.
Each other player may gain a copy of the card that you have discarded.

Capra
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck.  The player to your left separates them into two piles.  Choose one pile to discard and draw the rest.

Malick
$6 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal your hand.
+2 Cards for every Action card in your hand.
Trash this card.
--
This card may not be gained, it may only be bought.

Ozu
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.
Put 2 cards in your hand that do not share any type or subtype.
Discard the rest.
--
(Rule clarifications:  As always you try to do as much as you can. So if you reveal 3 Treasures, you can put 1 in hand and have to discard the others.)

Nolan
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Discard a card costing $0 from your hand.  If you do, +3 Cards.

Lang
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, the player to your left reveals a card from his hand.  Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal the named card.
If you do, trash it or put it in your hand, your choice.  Otherwise, gain a copy of the named card.

Curtiz
$6 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal three cards costing at most $4. Put those cards into your hand, discard the other revealed cards.

Coen
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
If there are no cards on your [This Card] mat, set aside an Action or Treasure card from your hand onto your [This Card] mat or reveal a hand with no Actions or Treasure cards. Otherwise, take a card from your [This Card] mat and place it in your hand.

Tarantino
$5 - Action
+1 Action
The player to your left names a card.
Reveal cards from you deck until you reveal the named card, putting it and one other revealed card of your choice into your hand.

Lean
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. If it is a Copper, put it in your hand.
Discard any number of Coppers. +1 Card per Copper discarded.

Chabrol
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard 2 Victory cards. If you do, +3 Cards.

Fellini
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.  The player to your left chooses one for you to set aside.  Draw the rest.
--
During cleanup, return the set aside cards to the top of your deck, in any order.

Truffaut
$3 - Action
+1 Action
If you have an odd number of cards in play (including this), +2 Cards.

Fincher
$5 - Action-Victory
Worth 1 VP
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

Bergman
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Action cards into your hand. Discard the rest.
--
At the end of your clean-up phase, place this card at the bottom of your deck instead of discarding it.

Lynch
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
The opponent to your left reveals and discards the top card of their deck.  Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs less than your opponent's card, place it in your hand; if it does not, discard it.

Visconti
$5 - Action-Duration
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn:
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses two for you to discard. Draw the rest.
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may put that card on top of your deck.

Murnau
$5 - Action
+4 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card per [This Card] in play (including this one).

Melville
$3 - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. If it costs $0 and isn't a Treasure, +3 Cards.
--
When you gain a card costing less than this, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put the gained card in your hand.

Coppola
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard 3 cards or a Silver.

Huston
$4 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+1 Action
On your next turn, draw 7 cards during your draw phase instead of 5.  If you play more than 3 actions, trash this card.

Kurosawa
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
All players reveal a card from his hand. If all players revealed a Treasure card, +1 Card for all (including you) and +$1 for you. Otherwise, all players gain a Copper, putting it into his hand (including you).

Griffith
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal any number of Coppers from your hand and draw that many cards.  Trash one of the revealed Coppers.  If you do not reveal a Copper, gain a Copper and put it into your hand.

Wyler
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Pick one: Gain a card costing up to $4 onto your [This Card] mat, or place a card from your [This Card] mat into your hand.
--
At the end of the game, trash all of the cards on your [This Card] mat.

Cukor
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may gain a Copper, putting it into your hand. If you do, +1 Card.

Herzog
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
Choose one: +3 Cards, and return this card to the supply; or trash a card from your hand, and gain a [This Card]; or put this card on your deck at the start of your Clean-up phase.
--
(Rules clarification: When doubled or trebled with Throne Room, King's Court, or Procession, you may choose the first option multiple times despite returning only this copy of [This Card] to the supply.  You may gain multiple [This Card]s with the second option, but you must trash one card for each copy you gain.  You can only put the played copy on top of your deck; choosing this option does nothing if the card was returned to the supply.  If the card was returned to the supply with the first option, it cannot be trashed by Procession, and you do not gain a card costing $5.)

DeMille
$6 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
--
While this is in play, you can't buy any Treasure.

Eisenstein
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one; you get the version in parentheses:
Each player draws 2 (1) cards and discards 2 (0) cards from his hand;
or each player draws 2 (3) cards and discards 1 (1) card from his hand.
--
While this is in play, Attack cards you play do not affect players with more than 5 cards in hand.

Scorsese
$4 - Action
+1 Action
You may gain a Copper, if you do +2 Cards.
You may gain an Estate, if you do +1 Card.
You may gain a Curse, if you do +1 Card.

Cassavetes
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. Discard two differently named cards which are not Action cards from your hand if you can.

Bunuel
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Victory Cards. Put them into your hand. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

Lubitsch
$4 - Action
Reveal your hand. If there are no Action our Treasure cards costing $5 or more in it +2 Cards, +1 Action.

Kazan
$5 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Every other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a Treasure card or reveals a hand without any Treasure.
--
You can't gain this if you have a [This Card] in play.

Leone
$5 - Action
+1 Buy
You may discard a Treasure. If you do, then +4 Cards, +1 Action, and each other player may discard a Treasure. If he does, then he draws 2 cards.

Altman
$3 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player may choose one: Discard his hand and draw 4 cards OR Draw up to 6 cards in hand.

Powell
$6 - Action
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck.  Discard them or put them back.
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Eastwood
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Draw any number of cards up to the number of Buys you have in play. -1 Buy for each card drawn this way.

Pollack
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player draws a card, then discards a card from hand.

Antonioni
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may reveal your hand. If you do and you have no Treasure Cards other than Copper in your hand, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure Card that isn't a Copper.
Put it into your hand and discard the rest.

Clouzot
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. The player to your left picks one for you to discard. Put the others into your hand.

Gilliam
$5 - Action-Looter
Gain a Copper, Estate, or Ruins to the top of your deck.
+1 Action
+3 Cards
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:04:02 am by rinkworks »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 05:30:15 pm »

Renoir... I'm not so sure it works to care about the order of cards in the trash. Especially now that we have cards like Graverobber that allow people to gain cards from the trash... there's no guarantee or rule that says that when looking through the trash to see what you want to gain, you have to make sure you keep all those cards in the same order.

Welles is strictly better than Laboratory; by a lot.

Fellini - how can there be more than 1 set-aside card?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:44:52 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »

Ford doesn't have a cost.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 06:36:05 pm »

I suspect this was my error, rather than the submitter's, as I remember that having a cost.  But I don't have any record of what it should have been; I'll PM the author and update when I get an answer.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:34 pm »
+3

Priceless.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 07:30:21 pm »

Welles is strictly better than a lab-same cost and can give an additional buy. not to mention it is more flexible if you dont want that option
Go, and do likewise.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 08:00:54 pm »

Fellini - how can there be more than 1 set-aside card?

If you play multiple Fellinis, I guess?

I'm a little confused about how Huston works -- do the 3 actions have to be just in one turn, or do they add up?  When do you actually trash it, and does it count actions that were played before Huston?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 08:03:25 pm »

Disclaimer: one of these is mine.

Hitchcock
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
Gain a copper in hand.

The initial part treads a little too close to Almoner.  I like it anyway, but there is just so much Copper stuff in this set now. :P

Wilder
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal one that isn't a Victory card or a Curse. Put the revealed cards into your hand. If you didn't reveal a Victory card or a Curse, gain a Victory card costing up to $5, putting it on top of your deck.

I like the main part.  You draw one "useful" card a la Farming Village, plus potentially a lot of junk.  I am not so sure about the gain effect - it seems superfluous.

Ford
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Currently missing a cost.  rinkworks is getting it from the creator.  Will evaluate when a cost is given.

Edit: Not sure if the self-limit is necessary, since the strategy space for this card already seems fairly narrow.  Although maybe it's too strong in the early game?  OTOH, I heavily underestimated Apothecary when I first learned about it.

Kubrick
$4 - Action
+1 Action

This is going to start off as a Peddler.  In kingdoms without trashing, it stays a Peddler.  Well, that's perfectly fine at $4.

When anything is trashed, it actually weakens the card.  It becomes a cantrip, nothing more.  At this point, it is terrible.

When 6 cards are trashed, then it is a Lab.  At this point, it is really STRONG at $4, and it will only get stronger (barring some crazy graverobbing shenanigans).

I am not sure how this would play out.  It is a good buy when there is nothing in the trash.  If there is strong trashing, it is a good buy in anticipation of becoming a cheap lab.  But during that awkward middle ground, whoever has Kubrick will really want to trash and whoever doesn't have Kubrick (or has much fewer) probably wants to avoid trashing.  Very strange!

Welles
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card, +$1.
+2 Cards, +1 Buy.
+3 Cards, gain a Copper.

No good -- the second option makes this strictly better than a Lab.

Renoir
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

Almost worthless in games without trashing.  Also, "top card of the trash" is not a good mechanic to use.  It would be a huge hassle in games with Graverobber.  When you are digging through the trash to find something to bring back, you have to maintain the order, especially when the top card is chosen.

Spielberg
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard one of them. Put the other two into your hand.

Hm... this looks better than Lab in most cases, because the card you discard probably isn't something others will want to gain.  You may end up in odd situations where you don't want to discard the Province or something.  I'm not sure if those situations are enough to warrant a price drop.

Capra
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck.  The player to your left separates them into two piles.  Choose one pile to discard and draw the rest.

Sounds fun.  You will usually end up with fewer cards than Envoy, but this is non-terminal and you can always choose the pile that has what you want in it.  The biggest issue is probably major AP by both the player to the left (how do I split these cards?) and the player (which pile do I chooose?), but the latter will probably be pretty simple.  Card splitting would definitely be a lot harder.  I wonder if it would be more or less interesting if these two steps were flipped (player makes piles, player to left chooses pile).

Malick
$6 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal your hand.
Trash this card.
--

I don't understand why it has the gain restriction.  Not sure if making it a one-shot was necessary.  Seems very strong, but for the self-trash.

Ozu
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Discard the rest.
--
(Rule clarifications:  As always you try to do as much as you can. So if you reveal 3 Treasures, you can put 1 in hand and have to discard the others.)

Interesting.  Probably better in Curse games and when greening, where you can filter/cycle through junk.  Also good in strategies that rely on a healthy mix of actions and treasures.  Weak in engines, when you could draw a clump of you your.  Looks fine as it is.

Nolan
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Seems as strong as Stables, but cheaper.  You can't discard Silver or Gold, but that's already sketchy to do with Stables.  In this case, you can discard Curses and Ruins.  Has interaction with Highway, Bridge, Princess, BM+Quarry.

Lang
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you play this, the player to your left reveals a card from his hand.  Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal the named card.
If you do, trash it or put it in your hand, your choice.  Otherwise, gain a copy of the named card.

Some wording issues.  No card is ever named, so the second sentence needs correcting.  The "Otherwise" was a bit confusing for me -- took a moment to figure out that it was "if the card is not in your deck".  That's more my own issue though.

I think it's an interesting mini-game with your neighbour, worth way more than $3.  If they reveal a junk card, you get to trash it from your deck.  If they reveal a good card, you get to draw it.  Of course, it is weak if you are pursuing different strategies, or if they reveal a junk card that you don't have (since you must then gain a copy).  Still, I think this is worth closer to $5 -- it's a cantrip trasher or a Lab!

Curtiz
$6 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal three cards costing at most $4. Put those cards into your hand, discard the other revealed cards.

The upper limit on cost is weird.  In some games this really hurts it, in others it doesn't matter.  In the latter situation, this is a strong card -- non terminal draw 3 is really good.  I like this.

Coen
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
If there are no cards on your [This Card] mat, set aside an Action or Treasure card from your hand onto your [This Card] mat or reveal a hand with no Actions or Treasure cards. Otherwise, take a card from your [This Card] mat and place it in your hand.

So you alternate between "discarding" a card and drawing an extra card.  Interesting.  I like it.

Tarantino
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal cards from you deck until you reveal the named card, putting it and one other revealed card of your choice into your hand.

I like this too.  The other player will want to name a junk card that you have a lot of, to make sure you only get one useful thing and to limit your choices.  An exception would be if they somehow know the top card of your deck, in which case they should name that card.

(Edit: actually, I think this might be a bit too similar to Gatherer.  Will still vote for it, but not as highly as I was going to.)

Lean
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

We're doing too much with Copper now. :P  This looks fine though.

Chabrol
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

Better during greening phase, probably whiffs a lot before that.  Seems fine to me.

Fellini
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.  The player to your left chooses one for you to set aside.  Draw the rest.
--
During cleanup, return the set aside cards to the top of your deck, in any order.

Interesting mix of Lab and Envoy.

Truffaut
$3 - Action
+1 Action

So weird!  I imagine this would be really strong with a bunch of cantrips.  First play is a lab (exception: Durations) and then it's easy enough to alternate with cantrips.  I like this, but wonder if it would be better at $4.

Fincher
$5 - Action-Victory
Worth 1 VP
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards into your hand. Put the other cards on top of your deck in any order.

Improved Scout.

Bergman
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Action cards into your hand. Discard the rest.
--
At the end of your clean-up phase, place this card at the bottom of your deck instead of discarding it.

The discard rule is weird.  Does it apply whether it was played or not?

Lynch
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
The opponent to your left reveals and discards the top card of their deck.  Reveal the top card of your deck. If it costs less than your opponent's card, place it in your hand; if it does not, discard it.

Interesting game of chance.

Visconti
$5 - Action-Duration
+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses two for you to discard. Draw the rest.
--
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may put that card on top of your deck.

Discarding 2/4 hurts a lot!  The topdecking seems out of place, and it counters itself half the time -- if you topdeck a good card, your opponent can just make you discard it.

Murnau
$5 - Action
+4 Cards
+1 Action

Nice self-limitation.

Melville
$3 - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
--
When you gain a card costing less than this, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put the gained card in your hand.

It would mainly be used for non-terminal trashing.  Only lets you draw if you have junk in your deck.  The reaction helps put that junk in your hand, so that's nice.  Seems fine, though I don't think it would see much use if there isn't a Curser or Looter on the board.

Coppola
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action

Warehouse that gets away with discarding a single Silver.  I wonder if that's worth $5.  $4 sounds OK as well though.

Huston
$4 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+1 Action
On your next turn, draw 7 cards during your draw phase instead of 5.  If you play more than 3 actions, trash this card.

The wording is a bit confused here.  Does this take effect during this turn's Clean-Up phase?  Because that's when you draw... but then it wouldn't be a Duration.  Or does it actually last until the next Clean-Up phase, ultimately having an effect on the turn after next?  And the self-trashing, is that in effect only on this turn, or on the next turn as well?

Kurosawa
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
All players reveal a card from his hand. If all players revealed a Treasure card, +1 Card for all (including you) and +$1 for you. Otherwise, all players gain a Copper, putting it into his hand (including you).

This is really weird.  Either everyone gets a card or everyone gets a Copper... so it doesn't really help you at all!  Oh, I guess you get +$1 if everyone cooperates... but then there's no real incentive for them to cooperate.  They'd only reveal Treasure if they really want an extra card for themselves, or if the Copper hurts you/others more than it hurts them.

Griffith
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal any number of Coppers from your hand and draw that many cards.  Trash one of the revealed Coppers.  If you do not reveal a Copper, gain a Copper and put it into your hand.

Seems OK.  A little on the weak side, I think, though in some situations it could explode.

Wyler
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Pick one: Gain a card costing up to $4 onto your [This Card] mat, or place a card from your [This Card] mat into your hand.
--

Seems fine...

Cukor
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

Too similar to Almoner.

Herzog
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
Choose one: +3 Cards, and return this card to the supply; or trash a card from your hand, and gain a [This Card]; or put this card on your deck at the start of your Clean-up phase.
--
(Rules clarification: When doubled or trebled with Throne Room, King's Court, or Procession, you may choose the first option multiple times despite returning only this copy of [This Card] to the supply.  You may gain multiple [This Card]s with the second option, but you must trash one card for each copy you gain.  You can only put the played copy on top of your deck; choosing this option does nothing if the card was returned to the supply.  If the card was returned to the supply with the first option, it cannot be trashed by Procession, and you do not gain a card costing $5.)

Non-terminal trashing that gives you more of itself, but unlike Rats you can burn these out for HUGE draw.  Too strong for $4.

DeMille
$6 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
--

Stables with discard afterwards, which need not be a Treasure card.  Seems fine, but not all that interesting.  The Treasure ban seems tacked on.  Really encourages engine building, I guess.

Eisenstein
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
While this is in play, Attack cards you play do not affect players with more than 5 cards in hand.

Umm.  That's a really strong benefit to give to opponents, whatever you choose.  Second choice gives you huge draw.  But then the Attack card moating will often hurt you a LOT.

Scorsese
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Not sure how to feel about this.  Probably works fine, at least until the Estates and/or Curses run out.

Cassavetes
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. Discard two differently named cards which are not Action cards from your hand if you can.

Why not action cards?

Bunuel
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Victory Cards. Put them into your hand. Shuffle the other revealed cards back into your deck.

Improved Scout. :P

Lubitsch
$4 - Action
Reveal your hand. If there are no Action our Treasure cards costing $5 or more in it +2 Cards, +1 Action.

But it does nothing every other time?  I guess you could try to fashion an engine based on spamming these and Silver or other cheap actions.

Kazan
$5 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Every other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a Treasure card or reveals a hand without any Treasure.
--

Seems too strong.  The buy restriction is only thing keeping it from being auto-buy over Lab, but it doesn't stop the first purchase.  Subsequent purchases probably aren't too terribly difficult either.

Leone
$5 - Action
+1 Buy
You may discard a Treasure. If you do, then +4 Cards, +1 Action, and each other player may discard a Treasure. If he does, then he draws 2 cards.

Super Stables that lets other players Stables.  Hum.

Altman
$3 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player may choose one: Discard his hand and draw 4 cards OR Draw up to 6 cards in hand.

I don't think that the help it gives to other players is enough to balance out the power of $3 Labs.  Looks too strong to me.

Powell
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Oracle Lab.  Probably works fine, but I don't find it very interesting.

Eastwood
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Draw any number of cards up to the number of Buys you have in play. -1 Buy for each card drawn this way.

Messing with Buys like this is too weird for me.

Pollack
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Cheap Labs that helps opponents just aren't that interesting to me.

Antonioni
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may reveal your hand. If you do and you have no Treasure Cards other than Copper in your hand, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Treasure Card that isn't a Copper.

Strangely narrow.  Interesting, but it's sad that they don't stack.

Clouzot
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. The player to your left picks one for you to discard. Put the others into your hand.

Not my entry.  I think this is too similar to my entry in challenge #8.  (Edit: Fellini is too, actually, but I think $4 is better and Fellini has the top-deck which is a little different.)

Gilliam
$5 - Action-Looter
+1 Action
+3 Cards

Seems fine.  If there are no Estates left, could I choose Estate and gain nothing?

(Edited to fix quoting issue.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:07:31 pm by eHalcyon »

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 10:04:18 pm »
+1

Priceless.

+1 for awesome pun by nopawnsintended, even if it was intended.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2012, 02:09:40 am »
+1

Did anyone else have to fight the urge to just vote for your favorite directors?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2012, 09:04:39 am »

Update:  I added in the cost/type of Ford ("$4 - Action").  As I had presumed, the error was mine, not the submitter's.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2012, 01:03:26 pm »

Priceless.

Well, sure. Just because the pawns aren't intended doesn't mean the puns can't be.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
+1

Priceless.

Well, sure. Just because the pawns aren't intended doesn't mean the puns can't be.

It's true.  I have a Dominion problem.  I randomly buy Pawns without intending to do so.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2012, 03:59:28 pm »

Hitchcock
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
Gain a copper in hand.
It feels like this could be broken. It is like Cache if Cache gave you $4 instead of $3.

Wilder
$4 - Action
+1 Action
Seems okay. it is interesting that these played after each other gives you Duchies that don't harm your next hand.
Ford
$4 - Action
+1 Action

I don't want the randomness for drawing cards for copper. Discarding cards for other copies is cool, explored elsewhere in this set.

Kubrick
$4 - Action
+1 Action
It doesn't start being a lab until 7 trashed cards. That cantrip section is pretty awkward.

Welles
$5 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card, +$1.
+2 Cards, +1 Buy.
+3 Cards, gain a Copper.

second option makes this strictly better than a Lab. Still too strong at $6.

Renoir
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash order gets confusing with Graverobber. I would prefer if a card had to have this ability it would have another interaction with the trash.
Spielberg
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Interesting ability. Nearly all of the game you are discarding a Copper or Estate so the gaining doesn't matter, but you are choosing the best of 3 cards, which is too strong for even $5. The end game is awkward when you reveal 3 provinces and everyone else gains one and the game ends.

Capra
$5 - Action
+1 Action
We have been seeing cards like Fact or Fiction from Magic, but here is it exactly. One thing it has in Dominion that it doesn't in magic is that terminals can be paired and treasures separated from that pile. Early game decisions like "Do you want 2 coppers or 2 coppers and an estate" are silly. The collaboration element of this card is bothersome, since a friendly opponent can make this better than a triple Lab.

Malick
$6 - Action
+1 Action
Reveal your hand.
Trash this card.
--

The wording needs to be changed to "this card cannot be gained unless it was bought", since gaining happens after buying.
I don't like how dead this card can be drawn as.
Ozu
$5 - Action
+1 Action
Discard the rest.
--
This so often draws only 1 useful card. It almost always draws at least one victory card or Curse and leaves an Action or Copper behind. It leads to too many bad feelings in non-junking games.

Nolan
$4 - Action
+1 Action

Like eHalcyon said, too cheap and not different enough from Stables. Maybe if you discarded a 0 cost card to a Village type, or if you gained terminal $3 instead of non-terminal draw?

Lang
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Little minigames work best if they are on expensive cards or terminals. Wishing Well is an exception, but it is you versus deck instead of the opponent. it also needs the line, "discard the other revealed cards from your deck." Your opponents need to keep intimate track of your deck, so this isn't friendly for new players. The benefit is too big for $3 in all but one case, your opponent has a curse (or estate) and you don't, in which case this a self-curser.
Curtiz
$6 - Action
+1 Action

It misses Victories, Golds, and strong actions. This may be more interesting as revealing 2 cards, not 3, and giving you 2 actions instead of 1. I am not sure. Seems okay.

Coen
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
I wonder whether players will play this card with only one in their deck. It could "hide" a Copper that way, but it would not come up enough times for that to be a strong way to play.

Tarantino
$5 - Action
+1 Action

It looks too painful on someone who reveals that card first. What if you don't have the named card at all? It would be cool if that let you get any 2 cards from your deck, but it only lets you get 1, which is too weak.

Lean
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Seems okay. Not as redundant with our set as the Copper-gainers here.

Chabrol
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
This encourages early greening in an interesting way. It also works with cards that set up large hand sizes. Seems okay.

Fellini
$4 - Action
+1 Action
--
This is much weaker than lab (as it should be), but only slightly weaker than Caravan. I can excuse the team-building thing because the opponent could want to deny a bad card since it shows up in your next hand.

Truffaut
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Too wacky for my taste.

Fincher
$5 - Action-Victory
Worth 1 VP
+1 Action
+$1
I wish Scout was this, but I don't think a just-better version is the best result.

Bergman
$4 - Action
+1 Action
--

This is too similar to a village in Dark Ages.

Lynch
$3 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

I don't like that this can discard your best stuff from the top of your deck. Maybe move the stuff to the bottom?

Visconti
$5 - Action-Duration
+1 Action
--
This nearly always give you really weak cards in large quantities. That gives bad feelings. Think about how Apothecary was until DXV made the change that the other cards go on top.
Murnau
$5 - Action
+4 Cards
+1 Action
Too strong by itself. I explained why that is bad in the Village challenge for +2Cards +2 Actions
Melville
$3 - Action-Reaction
+1 Action
--

I don't like how specific this is at all. I don't like rewarding what you already want to trash so much.

Coppola
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action

Very similar to warehouse, but not many cards are right now. The Coppola/Silver opening may get too annoying. There might be an interesting version of this, costing 5 as a village? Seems okay.

Huston
$4 - Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Buy
+1 Action

I don't like the duration effect. Does this encourage Big Money?
Kurosawa
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

Too similar to and weaker than Almoner and the "game" doesn't seem fun.

Griffith
$5 - Action
+1 Action

I still don't like it being so dependant on the number of coppers in your hand, especially this one as an opener.
Wyler
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--

I don't like that it lets you stock up on useful VP cards in the first half of the game and gain them later, but that doesn't happen in every game. This set needs some kind of gainer. Seems fine.

Cukor
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action

Too similar to Almoner, again.

Herzog
$4 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Card
--

When trebled? I prefer to bass my Herzogs :) It should be just put on the top of your deck immediately, i think. One shot draw of 4 cards is too strong of an option, especially since you can gain this en masse.
DeMille
$6 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action
Discard a card.
--
I had this restriction on a 3 cost card in the terminal draw contect. It seems more restrictive at that cost and to prevent BM. This works just fine outside of BM (you can always buy this at 6). It is too strong.

Eisenstein
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
--
You can give your opponent a huge bonus either way whether you get a Lab or +4 cards, +1 action, discard 2 cards. It makes the game much shorter. It seems like a better and simpler card without the first version.
$5 - Action-Attack
+4 Card
+1 Action
Discard 2 cards.
Each other player with 5 or less cards in hand discards 1 card and draws 2 cards.
? Actually this still looks pretty bad.
Scorsese
$4 - Action
+1 Action
If you keep gaining stuff, you can set up huge hands. At the end of the game, this is an amazing card. I want to gain coppers and estates to draw 3 cards. Until then, this seems like a niche card for large decks. Seems okay.

Cassavetes
$4 - Action
+3 Cards
+1 Action

You can usually discard a copper, estate, and/or curse. That just makes this a less interesting Warehouse than Coppola.

Bunuel
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
I like that early this should only be bought up to once early game. The point is usually that it cleans up the top of your deck in a more interesting way that just an improved scout. I like this for the same reason I liked the $2 version in the terminal draw challenge. Seems fun.

Lubitsch
$4 - Action
Interesting with cheap +Buys, trash for benefit, weak trashing, alt-VP or gains. I like the deck designs this could create. Obviously you don't want to get it except as an opener unless you have a way to eliminate it or high cost cards from your hand. Seems fun.

Kazan
$5 - Action-Attack
+2 Cards
+1 Action
+1 Buy
--
Too strong if you only get 1, which I talk about all the time.

Leone
$5 - Action
+1 Buy
Could end the game very quickly. Not as bad about it than Governor. In fact, it is a lot like a Stable Governor.

Altman
$3 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Could end the game very quickly, especially in multiplayer. If the pile is empty, you can mulligan your hand several times until it is near perfect, which often includes containing this card. I don't want this kind of effect on a $3 card.

Powell
$6 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Catacomb with actions. A little boring to me.

Eastwood
$2 - Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Since non-terminal +buys are rare, this is most often a cantrip or the +1 action, +1 buy mode on Pawn. I like the idea, but this might not be the best execution.

Pollack
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
This is one of the better labs that benefit opponents. Could end the game too quickly, like the others. I like the simple effect.
Antonioni
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
I don't like this effect. You want to have a Gold or Platinum in your deck but not your hand or Silvers anywhere?

Clouzot
$3 - Action
+1 Action
For quite a bit of the game, this gives you a Copper and a Estate. For the rest of it, it gives you a silver (or low cost action) and copper. Hmmm... I would dislike missing out on my good cards, like an opposite (or poorly played) sage.

Gilliam
$5 - Action-Looter
+1 Action
+3 Cards
It might need an "If you do" clause to make it work. Copper is nearly always much better than the other 2 options. It needs some kind of benefit for taking the other options or other rebalancing.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »

Leone
$5 - Action
+1 Buy
Could end the game very quickly. Not as bad about it than Governor. In fact, it is a lot like a Stable Governor.

Or a Stables Governor.  Leone:Stables as Council Room: Laboratory.  I like the card.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2012, 05:18:53 pm »

Gilliam
$5 - Action-Looter
+1 Action
+3 Cards

Seems fine.  If there are no Estates left, could I choose Estate and gain nothing?

You have to gain a Copper even if no Estates remain.  It's just like when you discard a Province to Tournament and no Duchies remain, you have to gain a Prize, because it is possible to "gain a prize or Duchy".  Torturer is different because you choose a penalty, then suffer the penalty if able.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:20:22 pm by popsofctown »

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2012, 05:41:37 pm »

Fincher
$5 - Action-Victory
Worth 1 VP
+1 Action
+$1
I wish Scout was this, but I don't think a just-better version is the best result.

I think this is appreciably different than Scout.  The fact that it self combos and gives money and VP is much cooler than Scout.

Altman
$3 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Could end the game very quickly, especially in multiplayer. If the pile is empty, you can mulligan your hand several times until it is near perfect, which often includes containing this card. I don't want this kind of effect on a $3 card.

True.  The externality can be strong for the opponent, but if you take a mulligan one too many times, you end up being Minion'ed.  That's kind of a fun interaction.  I think the "If the pile is empty" condition is something that may or may not be satisfied.  Plus, if you only have two of these in your deck and hand and your opponent mulligans his hand on the first, do you play the second (when doing so will surely give your opponent a better bonus)?  It is an interesting dilemma.  Also, I'd think twice about buying this if Tunnel is in the kingdom. 

Truffaut
$3 - Action
+1 Action
Too wacky for my taste.

I like this, but I'm a little wacky.  With other non-terminal actions in the deck, this could be as strong as a lab, but you need to exert some effort to build such a deck.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:01 pm »

I think this is appreciably different than Scout.  The fact that it self combos and gives money and VP is much cooler than Scout.
I was saying that it does Scout's bit and does a bunch of other things for not much more cost. Bunuel is also better than Scout but is functions very differently than Scout.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2012, 05:57:56 pm »

Gilliam
$5 - Action-Looter
+1 Action
+3 Cards

You have to gain a Copper even if no Estates remain.  It's just like when you discard a Province to Tournament and no Duchies remain, you have to gain a Prize, because it is possible to "gain a prize or Duchy".  Torturer is different because you choose a penalty, then suffer the penalty if able.

Hm, interesting.  I always thought you could choose Duchy with Tournament, and then end up gaining nothing if there were no more Duchies.  Of course, you could just not reveal the Province, though I suppose there are edge cases (e.g. Library in hand).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2012, 06:20:19 pm »

Iso is on your side, actually.

This was fundamental to my understanding of Ironworks/Trader, so now my world is rocked.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2012, 06:22:53 pm »

Iso is on your side, actually.

This was fundamental to my understanding of Ironworks/Trader, so now my world is rocked.

I thought that way because of Androminion, but I wouldn't consider it as definitive as iso.

How does it apply to Ironworks/Trader?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2012, 06:32:33 pm »

Do we want to open that can of worms?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2012, 06:43:00 pm »

Do we want to open that can of worms?

I'm just curious.  I'm not sure how it links up with the whole blue dog scenario is all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 1.939 seconds with 20 queries.