Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #11: Dual-Type Card!  (Read 34385 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #11: Dual-Type Card!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 10:30:14 pm »

So I can't enter this, then?

Escalator Link
$9
Action-Treasure

If played as an Action: +2 Coin, +1 VP
If played as a Treasure: Worth 1 Coin for every treasure you have in play, including this.

Fair enough. I might enter something else.

Very clever joke

For those who don't get it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank-Monument_station

FTFY.  If you want to spoiler a link, you have to add a color=black tag.

Didn't get the joke.  Explanation earns a +1.  Joke too. :)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 10:42:38 pm »

If there is a card with the reaction "whenever an opponent buys a card, reveal this from your hand. Gain a copy of the bought card"

Can it be revealed multiple times for the same bought card? Or do you reveal it, gain a copy, opponent gains the bought card?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 10:49:42 pm »
+1

If there is a card with the reaction "whenever an opponent buys a card, reveal this from your hand. Gain a copy of the bought card"

Can it be revealed multiple times for the same bought card? Or do you reveal it, gain a copy, opponent gains the bought card?

Well first, you'd have to phrase it as "you may reveal this from your hand."  And yeah, they could reveal it multiple times unless you have them set the card aside or discard it or something.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 11:23:22 pm »

Thought so, thanks!

By the way, this is not my card idea. Its a similiar idea though.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:02 pm »
+1

Here is the ballot for Challenge #11!  Votes are due in a week.

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Monday, August 27, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

Note that the supplied card names are for discussion/identification only -- they are not the card names that were submitted to me.  The proper card names will be revealed when the results are announced.  Whenever card text says "[This Card]" it means the submitted text says the card's own name there.

Inclusion on the ballot means that the card was deemed eligible for the contest.  You therefore do not need to consider eligibility when voting.  In some cases, this may mean a pretty loose interpretation of the eligibility requirements.  I tried to be fair but also forgiving when a submission came in that twisted the rules in a way I hadn't foreseen.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

Sturges
$3 - Victory-Reaction
Worth 2 VP if you have the most Copper cards in your deck compared to other players (a tie for most would qualify as well).
--
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a Copper. You may discard this card to put the Copper into your hand.

Allen
$5 - Action-Attack-Victory
Worth 2 VP
--
Discard a card that is neither a Treasure nor an Action; if you do all other players gain a Curse.

Schrader
$3 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
+$1
--
Worth 1 VP for every 5 Treasure cards in your deck.
---
You may not buy this card if you have any Treasure cards in play.
--
Setup: You may start with three of these in your deck instead of three of your starting Coppers.  If anyone does, adjust the kingdom pile so it contains 8 or 12 [This Card]s, based on the number of players.

(Edit: This card was incorrected included on the ballot and should not receive votes.  It was an earlier submission from an author who submitted a replacement card subsequently; the replacement card also appears on this ballot.)

Goldman
$4 - Action-Duration
+$4
At the start of your next turn, discard a card.

Trumbo
$3 - Victory-Reaction
Worth 1 VP plus an additional 1 VP for each Randomizer card you have.
--
Whenever a supply pile becomes empty, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put that pile's randomizer card on top of that pile (if that card is still outside the game).
--
(Rule clarifications: This card counts the number of Randomizer cards that you have in your deck. Randomizer cards are not normally used in play, but using this card's Reaction ability can put them in the supply. A Randomizer card in the supply can be gained or bought just like any other card in the supply.)

Mankiewicz
$5 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
If you have 3 or more [This Card]s in play (counting this), gain a [Support Card], putting it in your hand.
Otherwise, +1 Card, +1 Buy.
--
This card is worth 1 VP for each [Support Card] in your deck.
Setup: Add [Support Card] to the supply.
[Support Card]
$4* - Action
+1 Action
+$1
If you have 3 or more [Support Card]s in play (counting this), +1 VP.
--
Setup: Do not include this in the Randomizer deck. Only add it to the supply if [This Card] is in the Kingdom.
--
(Rule clarifications: [Support Card] cannot be bought or gained except by playing a [This Card].)

Simon
$6 - Action-Attack-Victory
+3 Cards
Each other player discards a Victory card from their hand or reveals a hand with no Victory cards and gains an Estate and a Copper.
--
Worth 1 VP for every 2 Estates in the supply.

Chayefsky
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When an opponent trashes a card, you may reveal this card and either gain the trashed card or gain a copy of it from the supply.
--
If there are no cards capable of trashing in the kingdom (not including Black Market) gain a Silver to the discard when played.

Towne
$4 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2
Worth 1 VP
--
When this card is in play, if possible you must use all of your buys.

Hecht
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
When you play this, reveal the top card of your deck and either discard it or put it back.
--
When you discard this from your hand or from your deck, you may reveal it and set it aside.  In your next Buy phase, play this card.
--
(Rules clarification: If discarded during your Buy phase, e.g. by another copy of this card, it will be played in the next turn's Buy phase.  If you don't play this card in your Buy phase, the reaction can still be used when you discard it from your hand during the Clean-Up phase.)

Puzo
$4 - Victory-Reaction
2 VP
--
When another player trashes a card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, he gains a Curse.  At the start of your next turn, return this to your hand.

Seaton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
Trash a Treasure you have in play.
--
When another player plays a [This Card], you may reveal and discard this from your hand. If you do, reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Gain a copy of one of the revealed Treasures, putting it into your hand, then discard the revealed cards.
--
(Rules clarification: you may trash a [This Card] to itself, and must if you have no other Treasures in play)

Kaufman
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
1 VP

Benton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack; return [This Card] to the supply and gain a Silver, putting it in your hand.

Diamond
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When you gain a victory card, you may discard this from your hand.  If you do, +2 VP.

Lehman
$3 - Action-Duration-Victory
Worth 1VP.  If the game ends while this is in play, worth 8 VP instead.
--
Now: +1 Buy.
At the start of your next turn: +1 Buy.

Brackett
$7 - Action-Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$3
You may discard a Copper. If you don't, gain a Copper, putting it on your deck.
--
Worth 2 VP

Kasdan
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put any or all of the revealed Curses and Victory cards into your hand and put the rest back on top in any order.
--
When another player plays an Attack you may discard this from your hand. If you do, reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Discard any or all of the revealed Curses and Victory cards, then put one into your hand and the rest back on top in any order.

Hughes
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
When you play this, +1 Card. You may put a card on top of your deck.
--
When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put your deck in your discard pile. Then, either put the gained card on top of your deck, or set it aside. Discard the set aside cards at the start of your next turn.

Zaillian
$6 - Action-Duration-Victory
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn:
+1 Card
+$1
--
Worth 1 VP

Monahan
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
If you have unused Actions (not Action cards), this is worth $1, otherwise it's worth $2.
--
When you play an Action card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, discard this and +1 Action.
--
(Rules clarifications: To use the Reaction effect of this card, you must discard it after playing an Action card but before resolving the effects on that Action card, in much the same way that one reveals Reactions to the Attack cards of other players prior to them resolving the effects of the Attack card.)

Gaghan
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
Gain a [This Card].
--
Worth 2 VP

Sorkin
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $3
If an opponent plays an Attack, reveal [This Card] from your hand.  Gain a copy of the Attack card and trash [This Card] from your hand.

Robinson
+2 Cards
Opponents with 4 or more cards in hand discard a card.  If any Victory or $0-cost cards were discarded, gain a token on the [This Card] mat.
--
Worth 1 VP for every two tokens (rounded down) on the [This Card] mat at the end of the game.

Pierson
$6 - Action-Victory
Worth 2 VP
--
Pick one: Gain a Silver in hand; or Gain a Gold and a Copper.

Cody
$5 - Action-Victory
Reveal your hand.  +1 Action for each differently named Victory card in play and in your hand, including this one.
--
Worth 1 VP for each differently named Action card that your deck contains two copies of, including this one.
--
(Rules clarification:  For instance, if your final deck contains 5 copies of [This Card], 2 Markets, 1 Menagerie, and no other actions, each [This Card] is worth 2 VP: 1 each for the pair of Markets and more than two copies of [This Card], but nothing for the single Menagerie.)

Nugent
$5 - Treasure/Reaction
Worth $3
-$1 for each card remaining in your hand when this card is played, but not less than 0.
+1 Buy
--
If one of the other players has no cards in his hand at any point except the clean-up phase of their turn, you may trash this card, gaining a Duchy on top of your deck.

Goyer
$5 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $1
--
When you discard this from play, you may trash a Treasure you have in play.
--
Worth 1 VP for every $2 (rounded down) in the cost of the Treasure card you have the most copies of in your deck (the most expensive card if there is a tie).

Mamet
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
When you play this, look at the top card of your deck. Discard it or put it back.
--
When another player plays an Attack card you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them. Put the rest back on top in any order. If you discarded any cards this way, either discard or trash this.

Crowe
$4 - Action-Victory
Trash two cards.
--
Worth 1 VP for every two differently named cards in the trash (round down).

Foote
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $0
Choose one: Trash a card from your hand, +$1; or trash this card immediately, +$2.
--
When you discard a card other than during a Clean-up phase, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, trash the discarded card.

Darabont
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When you gain a card, you may set aside the gained card if this card is in play or you reveal this from your hand.  Return the set aside card to your deck at the end of the game.

Howard
$4 - Action-Victory
Either trash up to 2 cards from your hand or move a card from the trash to your [This Card] mat.
--
Worth 1 VP for every 2 cards on your [This Card] mat.

Greene
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
Choose one: +$1 or +1 Buy.
--
When you gain a card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, in your buy phase play this twice.
--
(Rules clarification: If you set this aside in your buy phase, you immediately play it twice.)

Odets
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
+1 Buy
+$1
--
Whenever you buy a card, you may reveal and discard this card from your hand. If you do, every other player gains a copy of the bought card instead of you.

McQuarrie
$3 - Action-Victory
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck.  You may discard up to one card.  Put the rest back in any order.
+2 Cards
--
If a Victory supply pile other than Provinces or Colonies is empty, this is worth 2 VP.  Otherwise, this is worth 0 VP.

Ephron
$5 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2 and 1 VP
--
When you gain or play this, look at the top 4 cards of your deck.  You may discard any number of them.  Put the rest on top of the deck in any order.

Sherwood
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
When you play this, gain a card costing less than this.
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing less than the Attack card that is not a [This Card], putting it into your hand.

Brooks
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When any player gains a Victory card you may reveal and discard this, if you do gain a Gold in hand or on top of your deck.

Riskin
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When you would discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may set this aside from your hand instead.  If you do, +$2 and return it to the discard pile at the end of your turn.
--
(Rule clarifications: If you discard this during another player's turn (e.g., because of Militia), you get +$2 at the start of your next turn.)

Helgeland
$5 - Victory-Reaction
1 VP
--
Whenever a player buys a non-victory card, you may reveal and discard this. If you do, gain a copy of that card.

Pressburger
$2 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Discard any Victory or Curse cards. Put the rest back on top of your deck in any order. If you discarded all three cards, +$3.
--
If the Estate or [This Card] supply pile is empty, this is worth 1 VP. Otherwise, this is worth 0 VP.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 09:25:55 am by rinkworks »

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:43 pm »

I'll have to write my thoughts on each one later, but I just wanted to say, there are a lot of cool cards here!

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 04:05:15 pm »

Update:  Fixed a wording error (mine, not the submitter's) in Mankiewicz.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 05:05:12 pm »
+1

How is Goldman in here? It is only Action-Duration, which is not one of the accepted type combos.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »

Aargh I had thoughts typed up on almost half of them, and then lost the post. Note to self: ctrl-R is not 'redo'.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 05:16:46 pm »

Commentary:

Sturges
$3 - Victory-Reaction
Worth 2 VP if you have the most Copper cards in your deck compared to other players (a tie for most would qualify as well).
--
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a Copper. You may discard this card to put the Copper into your hand.

I dislike that this doesn't give you VP unless you win the Copper race. You can put all this effort into buying the card and find that its worth nothing come game's end. I'd have given it a base VP and just award the winner with extra VP. Also, as I've been counseled 100 times over the past month, you can reveal reactions multiple times. That sort of wording error doesn't bother me, but I'd make the discard mandatory to avoid it.

Allen
Worth 2 VP
--
Discard a card that is neither a Treasure nor an Action; if you do all other players gain a Curse.

Interesting card. In theory, it's equivalent to a Duchy, and the way it goes about doing so is nifty. I like the self-interaction and self-regulation. Nice card!

Schrader
$3 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
+$1
--
---
--
Setup: You may start with three of these in your deck instead of three of your starting Coppers.  If anyone does, adjust the kingdom pile so it contains 8 or 12 [This Card]s, based on the number of players.

This is a neat idea, but there's too much going on. This feels like a case of trying to mash a concept into a criteria it doesn't belong to. If this were just the setup and the VP value, I'd think it was great. But as it is, the action bogs it down, and I'm not sure the "no treasure" restriction is needed, either (though I do see why you added it).

Goldman
$4 - Action-Duration
+$4
At the start of your next turn, discard a card.

Feels like it should be +$3 instead. It doesn't have the discard restriction of Baron (which seems a close enough comparison).

Trumbo
$3 - Victory-Reaction
--
Whenever a supply pile becomes empty, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put that pile's randomizer card on top of that pile (if that card is still outside the game).
--
(Rule clarifications: This card counts the number of Randomizer cards that you have in your deck. Randomizer cards are not normally used in play, but using this card's Reaction ability can put them in the supply. A Randomizer card in the supply can be gained or bought just like any other card in the supply.)

Quirky card. I like it's different approach and unusual reaction qualifier. I like that it gives VP even if you can't get randomizer cards into your grip.

Mankiewicz
$5 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
If you have 3 or more [This Card]s in play (counting this), gain a [Support Card], putting it in your hand.
--
[Support Card]
$4* - Action
+1 Action
+$1
--
Setup: Do not include this in the Randomizer deck. Only add it to the supply if [This Card] is in the Kingdom.
--
(Rule clarifications: [Support Card] cannot be bought or gained except by playing a [This Card].)

That's a lot to process. I like the idea of cards being married like this, but I find it more interesting when they do so in a limited capacity, or with some variety. Some cards are good when you just spam the hell out of them, but that fact isn't usually written out on the card so obviously, and when it is, it's with a rather basic part of the game (Duke, Counting House, etc.). It just doesn't click here for me.

Simon
+3 Cards
Each other player discards a Victory card from their hand or reveals a hand with no Victory cards and gains an Estate and a Copper.
--

Interesting method of VP battling. I like how it hurts itself by hurting others, how that interaction stifles itself in the long run, and how this encourages Estate rushing, which might be incorrect anyway. Very interesting combination of abilities.

Chayefsky
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When an opponent trashes a card, you may reveal this card and either gain the trashed card or gain a copy of it from the supply.
--
If there are no cards capable of trashing in the kingdom (not including Black Market) gain a Silver to the discard when played.

I'd make the last bit a regular feature of the card: "If the trash pile is empty, gain a Silver." The simpler and easier to execute, the better. It might require some rebalancing at that point, but the ability just reads (and likely plays) better. The reaction is a bit swingy; the games it's good in, it's REALLY good in.

Towne
$4 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2
Worth 1 VP
--

It's a nice idea, one I've toyed with a bit. I'd rather see it on a straight-up treasure than a dual-card like this, but I admit the VP is an okay balancing feature to cost it where you did. Simple and neat.

Hecht
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
When you play this, reveal the top card of your deck and either discard it or put it back.
--
When you discard this from your hand or from your deck, you may reveal it and set it aside.  In your next Buy phase, play this card.
--
(Rules clarification: If discarded during your Buy phase, e.g. by another copy of this card, it will be played in the next turn's Buy phase.  If you don't play this card in your Buy phase, the reaction can still be used when you discard it from your hand during the Clean-Up phase.)

I'm a fan of self-interaction, but I'm not sure it was absolutely necessary here. True, it gives the card more playability, but the natural discarding feature of the game always guarantees an outlet. I don't actually think this is a worse version, though; just a choice I wouldn't have made for this particular card (and again, I make that same choice QUITE OFTEN). I like the overall construction.

Puzo
$4 - Victory-Reaction
2 VP
--
When another player trashes a card, you may set this aside from your hand.  If you do, he gains a Curse.  At the start of your next turn, return this to your hand.

Victory cards are a prime place to put these ideas: even if there aren't any trashers in the game, the VP alone makes them worthwhile. It's an interesting reaction, and the setting aside feature makes it a lot less stupid when Watchtower is in someone else's hand. There's not a huge difference between returning it on your turn or on the next player's turn, but I like the latter, just so its a bit more open for everyone to get hit.

Seaton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When another player plays a [This Card], you may reveal and discard this from your hand. If you do, reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Gain a copy of one of the revealed Treasures, putting it into your hand, then discard the revealed cards.
--
(Rules clarification: you may trash a [This Card] to itself, and must if you have no other Treasures in play)

I feel like just putting a revealed treasure into your hand is a better route. It avoids the Copper problem and just feels more natural.

Kaufman
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
1 VP

I'm a fan of simple cards, but unless their quirk is rather resonate, they suffer a bit in contests. I really want this to be named Pavilion, for what it's worth.

Benton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack; return [This Card] to the supply and gain a Silver, putting it in your hand.

I'd make the return part of the revelation. I won't claim to be 100% sure, but I think the timing needs to work like that, otherwise multiple reveals are possible. Semantics aside, that's a fun and simple quirk, but I feel that returning to the supply is just worse than trashing. It's a pile that'll never go away in both attack and non-attack games.

Diamond
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When you gain a victory card, you may discard this from your hand.  If you do, +2 VP.

The numbers on this one are tricky. It rewards you for having excess coin, a feature that can be really good with small Victory rushes. I feel like +1 VP is enough compensation. I like the base mechanic, forcing you to not spend it in exchange for VP. It's elegant and interesting.

Lehman
--

I REALLY like this idea, but REALLY think 8 is too much. Like, 4 even seems like it could be pushing it. Great concept, though.

More to come.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 05:18:18 pm »
+1

How is Goldman in here? It is only Action-Duration, which is not one of the accepted type combos.

You'd think I'd notice simple things like that, but no.

I've removed it from the ballot.  And just like that, the writer of The Princess Bride and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is stricken from this list of great screenwriters.  It's a brutal world.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 05:46:16 pm »

Disclaimer -- one of these is mine.

Sturges
$3 - Victory-Reaction
--

Interesting... not sure if I would ever go for this.  2VP for $3 is quite normal (e.g. Tunnel) but the fact that it could end up being worthless (if you don't have the most Copper) is off-putting.  The reaction is really only useful against junking attacks, since Copper is free to buy.  Trader has a nice extra use case that lets you "buy" Silver for free.  This would be a fine buy if you already have a lot more copper than others (e.g. from Almoner or Pawnshop), but I don't think it would be a winning strategy to go for these from the start.

I still think the set has enough alt VP already. :P

Allen
Worth 2 VP
--

I am not sure why there is a restriction on the card to discard.  This is a $5 Attack that doesn't benefit you on your turn, so why not leave the option open to discard your good cards if you so desire?

Schrader
$3 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
+$1
--
---
--

I don't think we need another treasure counting card.  Museum in the set and Feodum from DA are enough.  On its own, this is neat enough.  The main issue with Treasure-counting VP is that it's too easy to ramp up without any real penalty.  The penalty here is that you can't buy it with Treasure.  But hey, you could gain it.  The "start with these instead of Copper" effect is strange.  What happens in a 4 player game where everyone wants to start with it?  Are there going to be 12 extra copies of the card available to include in the Kingdom?

(Edit: removed Goldman because it actually didn't fit contest criteria.)

Trumbo
$3 - Victory-Reaction
--
--

So... can the randomizers be placed anywhere in your deck, like Stash?  Otherwise, you have accountability issues when shuffling.

This is not all that great to buy.  I'd only buy this if I was going to buy Estate with $3 anyway.  This card is only worth more than 1VP if you are lucky enough to have this reaction in hand when a supply pile empties -- otherwise, you miss that opportunity.  Even if you get lucky with that, an opponent could buy the Randomizer before you get a shot at it.  If you manage to snag a Randomizer, that only bumps up Trumbo by 1VP; how many of these will you have when they're unlikely to be worth very much?  If the stars align and you snag another randomizer, this is worth 3VP.  You probably won't get a shot to buy the third randomizer, because the game ends!  There are mega-turn games where this might be a blow-out -- you draw your deck, play a bunch of Bridges and WVs and buy everything, gaining all the Trumbos and a load of other cards and their randomizers.  I think its utility is far too narrow.

Mankiewicz
$5 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
--
[Support Card]
$4* - Action
+1 Action
+$1
If you have 3 or more [This Card]s in play (counting this), +1 VP.
--
--

Duke variant.  You need to purchase and line up 3 of them in order to make them worth anything, and the Suport card that makes them worth VP makes it more difficult to line them up.  If there is any support for this card (good sifting, trashing) then you pretty much have to fight for it, or else your opponent will piledrive Mankiewicz and then very, very quickly gain a bunch of the Support card, eventually making it worth 8VP (or more, with more than 2 players).  But if you mirror, the winner of the split will have a huge advantage, especially if it splits 6/2 because the loser has no way to get the Support card!

It just doesn't feel balanced.

Simon
+3 Cards
--

Hm.  It is a big junking attack like Mountebank, except it is generally easier to block and the attack hurts less.  One issue is that the size of the Estate pile does not scale up with number of players, as Curse does.  The Estates will empty really, really fast. 

That also means that the VP-ness of the card is negligible, unless your plan is to buy Simon and not play it, hoping to keep it worth 4vP (or 6VP in a bigger game).  But then the counter is pretty simple -- whoever loses the split is the one who will play the attack, eventually reducing Simon to an expensive Smithy.

Chayefsky
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--

The second "gain a Silver" clause is awkward and seems out of place.  Reactions should be designed such that they can still be worthwhile even if the reaction can never be used in the given kingdom.  It's not very elegant to specifically call out such a situation.

Towne
$4 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2
Worth 1 VP
--

Fairly interesting.  The extra VP makes this strictly superior to Silver, but then it adds on a condition that is usually detrimental.  However, it is easy to get around this restriction -- don't have any +Buy.  Some kingdoms don't have +Buy anyway, which makes Towne a no-brainer buy over Silver.  In Kingdoms that do have +Buy, you'll have to determine if Townie is there is a stronger strategy to make use of it.

I think this card would be far more interesting if it itself had +Buy.

Hecht
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--

I like this, because I like $5 Silver with benefit.  There are obvious combos with anything that discards (e.g. Vault, Minion, Tactician) and it hard counters discard attacks.  In the absence of these combos, it can still combo with itself.  The self-Haven is nice for smoothing out draws.  I like that it has an interesting tension with Soothsayer.  It doesn't hurt to discard this one.

I wonder if this is strong enough for $6.

Puzo
$4 - Victory-Reaction
2 VP
--

Too political.

Seaton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--

I like this.  The reaction is interesting and is a neat complement to the on-play effect (trash a treasure vs. mint a treasure).  The reaction would be better if it was triggered by something more general.

Kaufman
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
1 VP

Village with a VP.  Great Hall with an extra action.  Very simple, most likely balanced... but not very interesting.

Benton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

I think the one-shot Moat is interesting, but I don't like the $4 price.  The price gap is very small compared to Silver, and there is almost no reason to buy Silver instead of this (one exception would be Feodum).  I much prefer Silver-with-benefit at $5+.

Diamond
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

Woo, $5 Silver-with-benefit. :P

Interesting in that the reaction will usually only be useful if you can muster enough money that you can buy the VP you want without this.  In some cases, it can have a huge effect on gameplay.  It's often better to buy Estate instead of a Duchy, using this to get the +2VP.  If you hit $7, you can buy a Duchy and use this reaction to come close to a Province anyway.  This is also a nice counter to Ambassador and might have some applications in some other situations (e.g. Governor games).  I like this.

Lehman
--

7VP jump just because you were lucky enough to have this in play when the game ends?  Yeah OK, sometimes you can purposely set it up to get a bunch of these in play and then pile out.  But in general, this is way too swingy.  It doesn't help that it can be a major deterrent to ending the game for opponents.

Brackett
$7 - Action-Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$3
--
Worth 2 VP

Grand Market is harder to buy and it is only a cantrip Silver.  This is a cantrip GOLD that is worth 2VP.  The Copper gaining doesn't seem like much of a penalty at all.  The lack of +Buy is pretty bad, given that you should be able to get quite a lot of virtual coin with these.  Nonetheless, I think it is too similar to GM without the buy restriction.

Kasdan
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
When you play this, reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Put any or all of the revealed Curses and Victory cards into your hand and put the rest back on top in any order.
--
When another player plays an Attack you may discard this from your hand. If you do, reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Discard any or all of the revealed Curses and Victory cards, then put one into your hand and the rest back on top in any order.

Improved Scout as a Treasure, with a powerful reaction to boot?  OK, it reveals one less card on play, but it has everything else going for it.  This is probably just fine.  The reaction is really strong though, and it even chains with itself (if you reveal a second Kasdan, you can choose to put that one in your hand and reveal it to the same attack).  That's not a bad thing.

Hughes
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, put your deck in your discard pile. Then, either put the gained card on top of your deck, or set it aside. Discard the set aside cards at the start of your next turn.

Seems fine, I think.

Zaillian
+1 Action
+1 Card
+$1
--
Worth 1 VP

Putting aside the 1VP, this a peddler on this turn, Lab+Peddler on the next turn.  That actually sounds fine at $5, since Wharf is like two Labs and MS is like two Peddlers.

The VP seems very much tacked on though.

Monahan
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
If you have unused Actions (not Action cards), this is worth $1, otherwise it's worth $2.
--
When you play an Action card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, discard this and +1 Action.

Unreliability (as a Silver) in exchange for a reaction that gets you a free action.  Sounds fine.

Gaghan
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
Gain a [This Card].
--
Worth 2 VP

All it does it gain itself, which is worth 2VP.  Weak except in rushes, not all that interesting to me.

Sorkin
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $3
If an opponent plays an Attack, reveal [This Card] from your hand.  Gain a copy of the Attack card and trash [This Card] from your hand.

Wait what.  Worth as much as Gold.  Costs only $5.  Has a reaction that can get you an Attack card?  And remember that reactions have to be optional because they can't be enforced (unless you give it the Stash treatment).  If it was mandatory then it would kind of be a drawback, but it s not mandatory.

Robinson
+2 Cards
Opponents with 4 or more cards in hand discard a card.  If any Victory or $0-cost cards were discarded, gain a token on the [This Card] mat.
--
Worth 1 VP for every two tokens (rounded down) on the [This Card] mat at the end of the game.

I like the concept but I don't like how it works with more than 2 players.  The first and second play of this in a round will usually be the best -- they cause everyone else to discard, and you'll probably hit VP, Copper, Curse or Ruin.  But the third play won't hit as many players since they are already down to 3 cards.  If P1 can play this twice (hitting P2-P4), then P2's play will be much less effective because it will only cause P1 to discard.  Eh.

Pierson
$6 - Action-Victory
Worth 2 VP
--

Seems fine to me.  Comparable to Harem, becoming a terminal action in exchange for treasure gaining.

Cody
$5 - Action-Victory
Reveal your hand.  +1 Action for each differently named Victory card in play and in your hand, including this one.
--
Worth 1 VP for each differently named Action card that your deck contains two copies of, including this one.
--
(Rules clarification:  For instance, if your final deck contains 5 copies of [This Card], 2 Markets, 1 Menagerie, and no other actions, each [This Card] is worth 2 VP: 1 each for the pair of Markets and more than two copies of [This Card], but nothing for the single Menagerie.)

Sounds fine but it's hard to judge.  I think it is too similar to Fairgrounds.

Nugent
$5 - Treasure/Reaction
Worth $3
-$1 for each card remaining in your hand when this card is played, but not less than 0.
+1 Buy
--
If one of the other players has no cards in his hand at any point except the clean-up phase of their turn, you may trash this card, gaining a Duchy on top of your deck.

Very interesting Gold-with-penalty.  Gets significantly worse with junkers, significantly better with discarders.  I like it and would vote for it in a Treasure competition.  However, I feel like this reaction is just tacked on to fit the dual type theme.  I may still vote for it, depending on the other entries.

Goyer
$5 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $1
--
--
Worth 1 VP for every $2 (rounded down) in the cost of the Treasure card you have the most copies of in your deck (the most expensive card if there is a tie).

Sounds like this should have a Reaction type as well, for the discard effect.

The VP worth is odd and rather complicated.  So it's worthless if you have mostly Copper, 1VP if you have mostly Silver, 3VP if you have mostly Gold.  2VP if you have mostly this.

If it's worth buying, it would probably be for Copper trashing.  But it itself is only worth $1.  Maybe in that case you want it for the VP, but then it's really only worth it if you manage to get a majority of Gold.  But then you'll need a lot of Gold -- more than you have Goyers!  If your goal is just to amass Goyer in a rush of some sort, then you wouldn't want to trash your Copper.

Mamet
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
When you play this, look at the top card of your deck. Discard it or put it back.
--
When another player plays an Attack card you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, look at the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard any number of them. Put the rest back on top in any order. If you discarded any cards this way, either discard or trash this.

Simple enough.  I like it.

Crowe
$4 - Action-Victory
Trash two cards.
--

Not sure how to feel about this.  Using the trash is interesting, if not quite original.  The Trade Route problem is quite pronounced here though.  Crowe can end up being worth a lot if you manage to trash enough differently named cards (it scales a bit faster than Fairgrounds).  But it is using something public, which means your opponent benefits from your trashing.  Hm.

Foote
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $0
Choose one: Trash a card from your hand, +$1; or trash this card immediately, +$2.
--
When you discard a card other than during a Clean-up phase, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, trash the discarded card.

Trashing Copper or 1-shot Silver.  Reaction seems fine.  I think this card would work at $3.

Darabont
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
When you gain a card, you may set aside the gained card if this card is in play or you reveal this from your hand.  Return the set aside card to your deck at the end of the game.

The while-in-play/reaction is really strong.  The card has to be $5 at least!  At just $4, there is no reason not to buy this over Silver.

Howard
$4 - Action-Victory
Either trash up to 2 cards from your hand or move a card from the trash to your [This Card] mat.
--

Sounds fine, I think.

Greene
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When you gain a card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, in your buy phase play this twice.
--
(Rules clarification: If you set this aside in your buy phase, you immediately play it twice.)

Weird reaction, but I kind of like it.  I definitely like the main portion, where you choose to make this Silver or get an extra Buy.

Odets
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
+1 Buy
+$1
--
Whenever you buy a card, you may reveal and discard this card from your hand. If you do, every other player gains a copy of the bought card instead of you.

The reaction doesn't seem to fit with the Treasure component (Copper with +Buy) but maybe the card name would tie it together thematically.  The big thing here is that it can be used as an Attack that breaks through Lighthouse, Moat, etc.  It combos with itself in that, with two in hand, you can play one for the +Buy so you can Curse and still buy something useful on your turn.

McQuarrie
$3 - Action-Victory
Look at the top 2 cards of your deck.  You may discard up to one card.  Put the rest back in any order.
+2 Cards
--
If a Victory supply pile other than Provinces or Colonies is empty, this is worth 2 VP.  Otherwise, this is worth 0 VP.

The action is very similar to Oracle.  Option to discard just one is usually better than option to discard both, IMO.  I think the VP is too similar to Canal, and it doesn't match the action at all.

Ephron
$5 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2 and 1 VP
--
When you gain or play this, look at the top 4 cards of your deck.  You may discard any number of them.  Put the rest on top of the deck in any order.

Harem that costs less and is worth slightly less VP, but with an on-gain and on-play Cartographer.  I think it would be OK if the effect was on-gain only, but otherwise it just seems too strong.  Should cost $6, I think.

Sherwood
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing less than the Attack card that is not a [This Card], putting it into your hand.

Mostly a Silver-gaining Copper?  Not a fan of that.

The reaction is really neat though.  Basing the gain off of the Attack card's cost is clever and unique.

Brooks
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When any player gains a Victory card you may reveal and discard this, if you do gain a Gold in hand or on top of your deck.

Too similar to FG, IMO.

Riskin
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
When you would discard this other than during a Clean-up phase, you may set this aside from your hand instead.  If you do, +$2 and return it to the discard pile at the end of your turn.
--
(Rule clarifications: If you discard this during another player's turn (e.g., because of Militia), you get +$2 at the start of your next turn.)

Reaction is quite similar to Hechte, above.  I like it, but I think it is better integrated in Hechte.  Being one-shot makes fun combos (e.g. with Tactician) unsustainable.  It could be a counter to discard attacks, but it still only works once, and otherwise is just an expensive Copper in your hand.  In boards without any discarding, this really is just an expensive Copper.

(Edit: "Return to the discard" phrasing confused me.  The correction makes this better, though it still feels too narrow.  No good on boards without discard attacks/sifters/discard-for-benefit.)

Helgeland
$5 - Victory-Reaction
1 VP
--
Whenever a player buys a non-victory card, you may reveal and discard this. If you do, gain a copy of that card.

Like Smugglers, but as a reaction.  That sounds fun, especially in games with more than 2 players (do I gain this card, or do I wait to see what the next guy buys?).  But there must be a better main effect for this?  1VP doesn't fit and feels very weak.

Pressburger
$2 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
Reveal the top three cards of your deck. Discard any Victory or Curse cards. Put the rest back on top of your deck in any order. If you discarded all three cards, +$3.
--
If the Estate or [This Card] supply pile is empty, this is worth 1 VP. Otherwise, this is worth 0 VP.

This is pretty much better than Gold.  It is always worth $3 if you want.  When you don't do it, it means you can set up an even better next turn!  And it cycles your deck for you.  And it can even be worth VP.  Way too strong!

Oops, misread.  Only gives you +$3 if you flipped all VP or Curse.  This is actually pretty neat.  It gives you a nice boost when your deck is junked, and can really help you out in the end game.  When your deck isn't junked, it is still helpful but not that great -- fine for a $2 card.  I like this.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:37:15 pm by eHalcyon »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »

@Rush

The Sturges reaction is idempotent.  If you reveal multiple times, you still only gain one Copper, because you gain that INSTEAD of what you would have gained.  It's like Trader.

I like the suggestion made for Chayefsky re: the Silver gain.  Neatly and elegantly solves the awkwardness of having two "under the line" effects/clauses.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »

Pressburger
$2 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
--

This is pretty much better than Gold.  It is always worth $3 if you want.  When you don't do it, it means you can set up an even better next turn!  And it cycles your deck for you.  And it can even be worth VP.  Way too strong!

I think you misread?  It looks to me like you only get the $3 if all three of the cards get discards (i.e. if they were all victory/curse cards).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 06:01:19 pm »

Pressburger
$2 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
--

I think you misread?  It looks to me like you only get the $3 if all three of the cards get discards (i.e. if they were all victory/curse cards).

Oh hey, you're right.  I thought that you could just discard anything.  Reevaluating...

Edit: Updated.  Nice catch. :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:03:30 pm by eHalcyon »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 06:12:52 pm »

Sturges
$3 - Victory-Reaction
--

Often too weak in the kind of game (cursing or ambassador) when you want it most. Watchtower lets you trash the card or topdeck it, but it is an action you would want throughout the game. You only want this at the end.

Allen
Worth 2 VP
--

The Victory doesn't seem relevant on this card. Shouldn't you be able to discard this thing to itself. Its cursing effect is stronger if you are already getting cursed or late game.

Schrader
$3 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
+$1
--
---
--
Interesting. This card is better than Copper nearly every board and can be Upgraded to far better cards, so I can't think of when it wouldn't be used (this is bad). As a victory card, it is very strong, but hard to get without upgrading or virtual money.

Trumbo
$3 - Victory-Reaction
--
--
This is an absolute mess without sleeving and for game cleanup.

Mankiewicz
$5 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
--
[Support Card]
$4* - Action
+1 Action
+$1
--
--
The cards seem worthless except for when you are doing the "strategy" of getting as many of one or both of these. I can see the comparison to Duchy. Too complicated for me.

Simon
+3 Cards
--
This is probably weak in many boards as people don't mind discarding Victories with draw up to or Menagerie, Tunnel, or gaining Estates which help Gardens, Barons, or Silk Road. In multiplayer, 2 players using these fill the other players with Estates that weaken the VP of themselves.

Chayefsky
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--
I don't want to worry about whether the kingdom has trashing. This card is weakened by the presence of trash for no benefit (Chapel, Steward), since you don't want to gain Copper/Estate/Curse nearly all of the time. It needs what Rush_Clasic suggested.

Towne
$4 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2
Worth 1 VP
--
A no brainer in kingdoms without +Buy, but there is enough Victory interaction in kingdoms without +Buy that the choice seems strategic. Seems okay.

Hecht
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--
I think this doesn't need the clarification as badly if you change to "At the beginning of your next Buy phase". Seems okay except for occassional rule headaches.

Puzo
$4 - Victory-Reaction
2 VP
--
Sometimes shutting down trashing you completely whiff with this card (other players trash the turn before or after you have this in hand). It is definitely targetted and political since you can choose not to use it on one player and instead hope to use it on another.

Seaton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--
A Treasure Moneylender. Since you already got the coin from the Copper you trashed, isn't this just better than Moneylender?

Kaufman
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Card
+2 Actions
--
1 VP
Fine, but a little boring. This pile will run out in most Engine games, especially with gainers or cost reduction.

Benton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
Superior to Silver and at $4, no other official card is. I would worry about BM being invulnerable to attacks.

Diamond
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
A $5 silver with Farmlands logic. With one Diamond: 10=P+2VP, 9 = P, 8= P, 7= D+2VP, 6=D, 5=D, 4=E+2VP. A little less complicated than Farmlands, interesting in multiples. It also lets you manipulate the PPR to your favor (If you have more of these). Seems okay.

Lehman
--
A little wacky. You have 2 turns and opponents have 1 turn to win for a bonus whenever this is played. In a game without +Buy, both players could have 1 and be ambivalent to ending the game. With a player having 2 or more of this, it gets even wackier.

Brackett
$7 - Action-Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$3
--
Worth 2 VP
A better Grand Market with VP added? Sounds too strong.

Kasdan
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
I would prefer if the two versions of this card had the same wording. Also, if you suffer an attack and reveal this, you look at the same 3 cards you kept on top again on your next turn.

Hughes
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
Why are the set aside cards not discarded immediately? Just wondering. This is a Courtyardified Peddler. The reaction is nearly always worse than Watchtower's, and I don't see the point of the Chancelloring.

Zaillian
+1 Action
+1 Card
+$1
--
Worth 1 VP
The victory seems tacked on. The card already is 2 Peddlers and a Lab. When do you want this mainly for the VP?

Monahan
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
--
This is overly complicated for what amounts to a bad Village when you are not using it as a bad Silver. Also, do you get to reveal this before or after you play a smithy?

Gaghan
$4 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
Gain a [This Card].
--
Worth 2 VP
It doesn't need the +1 Action. It is too strong with it, giving a player a chance to get up to 16 points in 2P unimpeded, causing a piles ending.

Sorkin
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $3
You cannot enforce this. If this was optional, it is better than Gold and costs less.

Robinson
+2 Cards
--
It is worth more when opponents discard what it doesn't hurt them to discard. If you have 4 or more of these, each time it is used, it gains 2VP for your side if any opponents discard a junky card. There is reason to get this late because it seems the Robinson mat is shared between all players. Seems okay.

Pierson
$6 - Action-Victory
Worth 2 VP
--
Awkwardly similar to Harem. If there was no Harem, I would say this is great.

Cody
$5 - Action-Victory
--
--
Variety... hmmm... the wording could be made more similar to my District from the Victory challenge "Worth 1 VP for each card you have 5 or more copies of." For you it would be "Worth 1 VP for each Action card you have 2 or more copies of". The differently names Victory card in play bit is weird. Only Great Hall and Nobles are relevant for it, and Nobles that are in play like this are likely in Action mode where it would be redundant.

Nugent
$5 - Treasure/Reaction
Worth $3
+1 Buy
--
A Treasure that becomes better if you are lucky or can trash or discard the Victoies out of your hand. Seems okay.

Goyer
$5 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $1
--
--
It eats your coppers like a Loan while you attempt to make an expensive card the most prevalent in your deck. It is awkward when you have 4 Coppers and 3 of this and Gold at the end of the game, but that can often feel like the player's fault. Seems okay.

Mamet
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
Seems okay. Definitely not a power card and I would often consider not getting it even with $2, which is a good thing.

Crowe
$4 - Action-Victory
Trash two cards.
--
I could see this strategy getting pretty crazy, especially near the end of the game where a person might be encouraged to get these over Duchies. That would take 6 differently named trashed cards, so that seems okay. An interesting opener that I don't think people would always get.

Foote
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $0
--
I especially like this reaction. My favorite version of the reaction is "When another player plays an Attack card, you can reveal this from your hand. If you do, trash a card from your hand." I would like that here.

Darabont
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
Better than silver at $4. I avoid that.

Howard
$4 - Action-Victory
--
A Crowe variant. Its alternate mode is a Monument that grows in power the more you have in your deck. Having more in your deck causes you to have to trash more things to restock. This may create awkward games where all players trash their cards and fill their 4 Howards up with VP, causing the game to go very long. That needs to be tested.

Greene
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
--
Does this play twice if you use its +Buy to buy a card? I am confused.

Odets
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
+1 Buy
+$1
--
A Sea Hag if you have a bad hand or any other sources of +Buy? Having 2 of these collide in the same hand with 2 copper is $3 and you curse your opponents. Later in the game it lets you do the same with Estates. Seems okay.

McQuarrie
$3 - Action-Victory
+2 Cards
--
*You have to empty a pile for this to work? That is a weird set of games, especially for the weak terminal effect the rest of the card has. I am not sure.

Ephron
$5 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2 and 1 VP
--
*Just a slightly different version of Harem. It looks too good in big money and we already have Tea House for this kind of interaction.

Sherwood
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
*Free Ironworks for anyone attacked? Talisman or Bureaucrat or something? Seems fun.

Brooks
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
*The reaction is too strong. The regular card is very weak. Normally, this seems to balance out. In this case, it makes players wary to attempt to end the game (buy victories).

Riskin
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
--
*I don't like cards that use tunnel reactions to give you buys, cards, actions or coin. It has weird memory issues. This example isn't a very good card, either.

Helgeland
$5 - Victory-Reaction
1 VP
--
*A strange Smugglers variant. It works better than Smugglers in multiplayer. Also, you can gain a bonus copy of whatever you can buy that turn. Even after you use this twice, just buying the cards you want instead of this would be superior. A Helgeland strategy attempting to use more than one would be silly and fun. Sadly this card is awkward during greening.

Pressburger
$2 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
--
*So, you get an extraordinary bonus when you already get lucky enough to only discard Victories or Curses? As a linear strategy, this looks weak.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 06:43:29 pm »

Updated:  Schrader was an earlier submission by someone who submitted a replacement card subsequently.  (That card is also on the ballot.)  So I crossed that one off.

Now Paul Schrader, who wrote Taxi Driver, isn't one of the great screenwriters either.  Man.  Tough crowd, tough crowd.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 08:29:47 pm »

I'm going to start near the end and do these in chunks, quoting eHalcyon's post because he did the work of separating things for me (thanks!).  My comments are in BOLD.

Odets
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
+1 Buy
+$1
--

The reaction doesn't seem to fit with the Treasure component (Copper with +Buy) but maybe the card name would tie it together thematically.  The big thing here is that it can be used as an Attack that breaks through Lighthouse, Moat, etc.  It combos with itself in that, with two in hand, you can play one for the +Buy so you can Curse and still buy something useful on your turn.

I don't like that this is a thinly-veiled attack that busts through moats and lighthouses.  Then again, I typically have a distaste for attacks, especially of the cursing/junking variety.

McQuarrie
$3 - Action-Victory
+2 Cards
--

The action is very similar to Oracle.  Option to discard just one is usually better than option to discard both, IMO.  I think the VP is too similar to Canal, and it doesn't match the action at all.

I partially agree.  It IS similar to Oracle, and the option to discard one does make it stronger, but unlike Oracle, there's no attack component.  I think the card probably works thematically.  This card's pile is a Victory pile, so you can piledrive this to make these cards worth something.  To me, this looks like an enabler of alt-VP and a decent pick up in a game that is clogged with curses or with late game VP.  Plus, it is probably a fairly good enabler of Silk Road.  In those sorts of games, it is nice to filter out some green and that's what the action part does.  It is probably fairly weak on many boards, but I don't think it is strongly dominated across all boards.

Ephron
$5 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2 and 1 VP
--

Harem that costs less and is worth slightly less VP, but with an on-gain and on-play Cartographer.  I think it would be OK if the effect was on-gain only, but otherwise it just seems too strong.  Should cost $6, I think.

The comparison to Cartographer is good, but I don't think it is quite right to say that it is exactly an "on-gain and on-play Cartographer."  A strength of Cartographer is to set cards up for this turn (and next turn, too) and the +1 Card, +1 Action with 4 card reorder/discard ability does that.  On-gain/on-play Cartographer doesn't net that card this turn, so the best you can do is to set up a good turn next turn (which is nice, but not overpowered).

Sherwood
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

Mostly a Silver-gaining Copper?  Not a fan of that.

The reaction is really neat though.  Basing the gain off of the Attack card's cost is clever and unique.

I like the idea too.  Late game it could gain Estates.  I would like it better if it was "you may gain a card up to the cost of this card."

Brooks
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

Too similar to FG, IMO.

Agreed, and more expensive.  Probably an OK counter to an Alt VP rush if you're not mirroring.

Riskin
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
--

Reaction is quite similar to Hechte, above.  I like it, but I think it is better integrated in Hechte.  Being one-shot makes fun combos (e.g. with Tactician) unsustainable.  It could be a counter to discard attacks, but it still only works once, and otherwise is just an expensive Copper in your hand.  In boards without any discarding, this really is just an expensive Copper.

It's not really one-shot in the sense I think you mean because it says "return to the discard pile" not the "supply."  That said, this would be a nice enabler of double-Tac.  I like it.

Helgeland
$5 - Victory-Reaction
1 VP
--

Like Smugglers, but as a reaction.  That sounds fun, especially in games with more than 2 players (do I gain this card, or do I wait to see what the next guy buys?).  But there must be a better main effect for this?  1VP doesn't fit and feels very weak.

This would be great in Colony games to pick up Platinums.  It is a little more expensive than I would pay, but I'm bad at costing cards.

Pressburger
$2 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
--

Oops, misread.  Only gives you +$3 if you flipped all VP or Curse.  This is actually pretty neat.  It gives you a nice boost when your deck is junked, and can really help you out in the end game.  When your deck isn't junked, it is still helpful but not that great -- fine for a $2 card.  I like this.

I like the name.  If this card is accepted, it should keep the name Pressburger.  Then again, even if your deck is junked it is not a reliable $3.  I don't foresee getting that bonus often.  Plus, the 1 VP part of the card isn't worth fighting for.  Like McQuarrie, this would probably be a decent enabler of Silk Road.  The fact that it is cheap is a plus for this as well.  I feel like I like this more than I should

I'll do more commentary later.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »
+1

Huh, Riskin says "return to discard".  I thought it was "return to supply" because otherwise why not just say "discard it"?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 08:37:52 pm »

@One-Armed Man - Cody needs to count Victory cards in play because it, itself, is a Victory card in play you want to count for it to ever be a Uni.

Incidentally, I like the card, it seems balanced and good wacky, seems like that funky Menagerie deck you built and that funky Fairgrounds deck you made work rolled in one (or at the least, one or the other, and since I love Black Market - Cornucopia kind of games I'd like the card)

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:09 pm »

I'm only going to be discussing the non Victory Dual cards. Not because they are all bad (because actually there are some pretty cool ones) but because I think this set has enough Victory cards :P

Disclaimer: One of these cards is mine

Chayefsky
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--

Interesting Reaction. I think it's balanced, but I really don't like the last Section of it.

Hecht
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--

Really like it. A Silver that you can is saved for next turn.

Seaton
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--

The reaction seems a bit forced, and acts as a Mint. Like the Treasure part, acts as a stronger Loan in the beginning, but is a nuisance at the end.

Diamond
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

Cool card with a unique Reaction! Really simple and elegant.

Kasdan
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

A lot of top X cards of your deck shenanigans. Seems balanced, but a bigger nightmare IRL than Secret Chamber.

Hughes
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

Kind of like an Action-Treasure with the +1 Card part. It also has a nice Chancellor affect which is nice. I'd like it a lot better without the +1 Card part.

Monahan
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
--

Has some cool self synergy, and a pretty neat Treasure part. Like it a lot.

Sorkin
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $3

Too good. To be balanced it could give $2, but I still wouldn't like it.

Nugent
$5 - Treasure/Reaction
Worth $3
+1 Buy
--

Keeping track of how much this card is worth could be an issue, and the Reaction seems that it wouldn't activate often.

Mamet
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

I know who's entry this is, and I'm glad they submitted it. It's a really solid card with a defense similar to Secret Chambers, but without the headache.

Foote
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $0
--

Copper or a one-shot Silver. Has a cool defense against Discard Attacks and Draw then Discard Attacks. Like this one a lot too.

Darabont
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--

Strictly better than Silver. Cool Reaction though, just badly priced.

Greene
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
--

Huh. This one's interesting. I can't tell if its balanced or not, but I like it.

Odets
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
+1 Buy
+$1
--
Whenever you buy a card, you may reveal and discard this card from your hand. If you do, every other player gains a copy of the bought card instead of you

An Attack, that's a Treasure. It's got the self synergy I like and can act as a junker. Another solid card that I like.

Sherwood
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

The first practical Reaction to an Attack that doesn't block or trash it. The gaining a card costing 3 or less is a little strange though, but I like it.

Brooks
$4 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--

Seems balanced. I like it.

Riskin
$2 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $1
--
--

Acts as a counter to discarding Attacks. Solid card.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:53:18 pm by Archetype »

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:09 am »

Monahan
$3 - Treasure-Reaction
--

Also, do you get to reveal this before or after you play a smithy?

I added a clarification, but basically the rule is as it is when playing Reactions to attack cards played by other players.  The attack card is played, then Reactions are revealed and resolved, and then the Attack card is resolved.

So the sequence of events would be:

(1) I play a Smithy.
(2) I reveal Monahan, discard it, and get +1 Action.
(3) I draw 3 cards from the Smithy.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 01:36:02 pm »

Here are more comments, starting from the beginning.  Mine are in bold.

Sturges
$3 - Victory-Reaction
--

Interesting... not sure if I would ever go for this.  2VP for $3 is quite normal (e.g. Tunnel) but the fact that it could end up being worthless (if you don't have the most Copper) is off-putting.  The reaction is really only useful against junking attacks, since Copper is free to buy.  Trader has a nice extra use case that lets you "buy" Silver for free.  This would be a fine buy if you already have a lot more copper than others (e.g. from Almoner or Pawnshop), but I don't think it would be a winning strategy to go for these from the start.

I still think the set has enough alt VP already. :P

I disagree that the set has enough alt VP, but I am not a huge fan of this card.  It is too all or nothing for me.  I'd like it better if it were 1 VP if you don't win the copper battle and 2 VP if you do.

Allen
Worth 2 VP
--

I am not sure why there is a restriction on the card to discard.  This is a $5 Attack that doesn't benefit you on your turn, so why not leave the option open to discard your good cards if you so desire?

Agreed.  Seems fairly weak.

Schrader
$3 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
+$1
--
---
--

I don't think we need another treasure counting card.  Museum in the set and Feodum from DA are enough.  On its own, this is neat enough.  The main issue with Treasure-counting VP is that it's too easy to ramp up without any real penalty.  The penalty here is that you can't buy it with Treasure.  But hey, you could gain it.  The "start with these instead of Copper" effect is strange.  What happens in a 4 player game where everyone wants to start with it?  Are there going to be 12 extra copies of the card available to include in the Kingdom?

Again, I disagree on the need for another treasure counting card.  I like the idea of counting treasure.  On the other hand, I think this is too "special" for me (e.g., no buy if you have treasure in play, start with 3 of these.)

(Edit: removed Goldman because it actually didn't fit contest criteria.)

Trumbo
$3 - Victory-Reaction
--
--

So... can the randomizers be placed anywhere in your deck, like Stash?  Otherwise, you have accountability issues when shuffling.

This is not all that great to buy.  I'd only buy this if I was going to buy Estate with $3 anyway.  This card is only worth more than 1VP if you are lucky enough to have this reaction in hand when a supply pile empties -- otherwise, you miss that opportunity.  Even if you get lucky with that, an opponent could buy the Randomizer before you get a shot at it.  If you manage to snag a Randomizer, that only bumps up Trumbo by 1VP; how many of these will you have when they're unlikely to be worth very much?  If the stars align and you snag another randomizer, this is worth 3VP.  You probably won't get a shot to buy the third randomizer, because the game ends!  There are mega-turn games where this might be a blow-out -- you draw your deck, play a bunch of Bridges and WVs and buy everything, gaining all the Trumbos and a load of other cards and their randomizers.  I think its utility is far too narrow.

This introduces a new mechanic that doesn't strike me as worth the opportunity cost of learning.

Mankiewicz
$5 - Action-Victory
+1 Action
--
[Support Card]
$4* - Action
+1 Action
+$1
If you have 3 or more [This Card]s in play (counting this), +1 VP.
--
--

Duke variant.  You need to purchase and line up 3 of them in order to make them worth anything, and the Suport card that makes them worth VP makes it more difficult to line them up.  If there is any support for this card (good sifting, trashing) then you pretty much have to fight for it, or else your opponent will piledrive Mankiewicz and then very, very quickly gain a bunch of the Support card, eventually making it worth 8VP (or more, with more than 2 players).  But if you mirror, the winner of the split will have a huge advantage, especially if it splits 6/2 because the loser has no way to get the Support card!

It just doesn't feel balanced.

This feels like a lot of creativity went into it, but unfortunately, I like simplicity.

Simon
+3 Cards
--

Hm.  It is a big junking attack like Mountebank, except it is generally easier to block and the attack hurts less.  One issue is that the size of the Estate pile does not scale up with number of players, as Curse does.  The Estates will empty really, really fast. 

That also means that the VP-ness of the card is negligible, unless your plan is to buy Simon and not play it, hoping to keep it worth 4vP (or 6VP in a bigger game).  But then the counter is pretty simple -- whoever loses the split is the one who will play the attack, eventually reducing Simon to an expensive Smithy.

I don't understand why you need to reveal a hand with no Victory cards in it.  If you don't discard, just gain the Estate and Copper.  Do you want to force players to discard valuable dual types (e.g. Nobles)?  Do you want to keep players honest about not deliberately gaining Estates?  Maybe that's it.  I like the Estate interaction, but I'd like it at a lower price point because I'm not sure I want to pick this up for the VP.  Maybe +2 Cards and price it at $5?  Then, maybe it is a weaker attack.  Maybe just price it at $5?  I don't know.

Chayefsky
$5 - Treasure-Reaction
Worth $2
--
--

The second "gain a Silver" clause is awkward and seems out of place.  Reactions should be designed such that they can still be worthwhile even if the reaction can never be used in the given kingdom.  It's not very elegant to specifically call out such a situation.

Agreed.

Towne
$4 - Treasure-Victory
Worth $2
Worth 1 VP
--

Fairly interesting.  The extra VP makes this strictly superior to Silver, but then it adds on a condition that is usually detrimental.  However, it is easy to get around this restriction -- don't have any +Buy.  Some kingdoms don't have +Buy anyway, which makes Towne a no-brainer buy over Silver.  In Kingdoms that do have +Buy, you'll have to determine if Townie is there is a stronger strategy to make use of it.

I think this card would be far more interesting if it itself had +Buy.
If it had a +Buy, would you price it lower or higher?  That's interesting.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:34:23 pm by nopawnsintended »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012, 04:18:59 pm »

Simon
+3 Cards
--

I don't understand why you need to reveal a hand with no Victory cards in it.  If you don't discard, just gain the Estate and Copper.  Do you want to force players to discard valuable dual types (e.g. Nobles)?  Do you want to keep players honest about not deliberately gaining Estates?  Maybe that's it.  I like the Estate interaction, but I'd like it at a lower price point because I'm not sure I want to pick this up for the VP.  Maybe +2 Cards and price it at $5?  Then, maybe it is a weaker attack.  Maybe just price it at $5?  I don't know.
I think it is because this card itself is a valuable dual type and to prevent late game purposeful Estate gains.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 06:19:19 pm »

Simon
+3 Cards
--

I think it is because this card itself is a valuable dual type and to prevent late game purposeful Estate gains.

That interaction makes me like the card less.  If I am about to attack with my own Simon, and I get hit by one of these, I might be left Simonless and angry at my luck that I didn't have other green cards in my hand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 4.656 seconds with 20 queries.