Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: So who's going to GenCon/Worlds?  (Read 11876 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
So who's going to GenCon/Worlds?
« on: August 12, 2012, 06:23:50 pm »
+1

What the topic title says - obviously Fabian and I are going (so psyched!), but who else here is going, either to the tournament or just the convention?

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: So who's going to GenCon/Worlds?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:58:54 pm »
+2

I'm leaving tomorrow morning. Going to be a fun week, I even played a few Dominion games earlier today!

Still super confused as far as time/place/structure/etc of the event goes. Have you received any information? I got an email a few days ago about a Gencon badge having been bought for me, but I don't really get what I need to do to get it, or when I need to get it, or what.

Oh well I'm sure it'll work out. Pretty psyched too, not so much about the tournament itself as the trip in general though if I'm being honest.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:15:10 pm »

I got some details from Jay; i'll send them to you via PM when I get the chance.

Quite honestly though, I'm not particularly excited for the convention itself - I'm not much of a board game player.

(We totally need f.ds shirts!)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:18:23 pm by dondon151 »

rickert

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Rec Room
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:43:46 pm »

I will be working Dominion demos in the room and am occasionally asked to help on ruling questions, but so far have not heard any details about which days or times or even the number of players who have qualified.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:23:31 pm »

Thanks for the PM dondon, lots of good information in there heh.

No random kingdoms :( Oh well.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:49:34 am »

FWIW last year's premade kingdoms were good.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:37 am »
+2

Premade kingdoms are bad by definition in my opinion. I don't want a bias towards "good" kingdoms or "interesting" kingdoms or "interactive" kingdoms or "enginey kingdoms" or "kingdoms where you clearly have to go HP+Baron" or "competitive" kingdoms or "kingdoms where lots of interesting synergies are present and figuring out the optimal strategy from many seemingly very good strategies is pretty tricky indeed" or any other type of kingdom. I want random kingdoms. Of course, many, including Donald, seem to disagree. Fair enough.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:16:41 am by Fabian »

rickert

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • Rick's Rec Room
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 07:51:04 am »
+1

I prefer the designed kingdoms for two reasons. First, because they can be designed so that there is more than one really good approach to winning and there's a chance that might not be true in random setups. Also, some random setups really lend themselves to long games. That can be avoided with designed layouts. to me, one of the worst things we can do with players' time is to waste it waiting around doing nothing because their table had a fast game but one or two tables are slow layouts.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:24:34 am »

i will show up as well. I'll arrive Tuesday evening. I'm so excited because it was a last second possibility that allowed me to come.

@Fabian: I also prefer random Kingdoms to preconstructed ones.  They probably want to get a lots of rounds in, so they prefer fast games. DXV mentioned he designed his sets to allow for fast matches, so maybe thats why.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 12:09:48 pm »

Premade kingdoms are bad by definition in my opinion. I don't want a bias towards "good" kingdoms or "interesting" kingdoms or "interactive" kingdoms or "enginey kingdoms" or "kingdoms where you clearly have to go HP+Baron" or "competitive" kingdoms or "kingdoms where lots of interesting synergies are present and figuring out the optimal strategy from many seemingly very good strategies is pretty tricky indeed" or any other type of kingdom. I want random kingdoms. Of course, many, including Donald, seem to disagree. Fair enough.
Man I'm all in favor of me not having to make endless lists of 10 cards. The game works with random. Not every game is as interesting but that's okay too. If you wanted to avoid duds you could deal out ten random cards and then replace the last couple if you didn't get at least three cards costing $5, that would be pretty good. And you could ban a short list of cards to get faster games, Spy and such. Anyway with those rules it wouldn't be purely random, but it would still be pretty random; nothing would be pushing particular strategies.

There are people who want them to be nonrandom though. I do not expect them to be random this time. I didn't make any sets-of-10 specifically for this, but I gave Jay a list of sets-of-10 I'd made for the online campaigns, so he may use some of those.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 06:22:44 pm »

I didn't make any sets-of-10 specifically for this, but I gave Jay a list of sets-of-10 I'd made for the online campaigns, so he may use some of those.

Smart man!  I assume some of the later rounds will be Dark Ages exclusive just to mess with people's minds.

I bet next time around he could get lists-of-ten from this place.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 06:36:10 pm »

What the topic title says - obviously Fabian and I are going (so psyched!), but who else here is going, either to the tournament or just the convention?
I'll be going to Gencon for the weekend (Saturday, Sunday).  Is the tournament open for everyone to join? I was under the impression it was invitation only.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:34:30 pm »

I'll guess that you won't be able to play, but you'll be able to watch.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 07:36:20 pm »

I'll guess that you won't be able to play, but you'll be able to watch.
Good enough for me!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 08:41:19 pm »

I'd really love to go, but logistically it's just not going to happen =(

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:22 pm »

My impression is that this is to prevent a repeat of what happened in the US National tiebreaker. I do like random kingdoms to a certain extent (definitely moreso biased-random kingdoms than truly random kingdoms), but far too often when playing IRL we'd skip maybe every other randomly generated kingdom because it's too boring or because if a single dominant strategy or something.

I'll be going to Gencon for the weekend (Saturday, Sunday).  Is the tournament open for everyone to join? I was under the impression it was invitation only.

I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to meet fellow f.ds'ers!

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 09:48:10 pm »

Well... the people who I was going to go with have bailed, so I might end up not going.  Bleh.

Meet you guys some other time. 

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 07:09:36 pm »

I just got here, and uh... Anything good to do here in Indy? I'm not much of a board gamer...

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 08:32:51 pm »

I just got here, and uh... Anything good to do here in Indy? I'm not much of a board gamer...

Spoil the dark ages cards for us!

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »

Well hey, now's as good a time as any to try some different ones out, eh? There's bound to be one or two others that you like.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 09:18:57 pm »

Well hey, now's as good a time as any to try some different ones out, eh? There's bound to be one or two others that you like.

Or I can work on my AMCAS apps

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:26 pm »

I spent a bunch of time in Indy last year.

I recommend walking the canal. There is a great restaurant at the end if the canal too. You can sit on their deck outside. Really nice atmosphere.

Sometimes at the Indy track you can rise in an Indy car. Pricey though I think.

Have fun!

Ed

Turambar

• Baron
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 11:59:02 pm »
+1

I didn't manage to qualify for the tournament this year, however my brother did, he is Axiom on isotropic (he hasn't played there for a while). But I, Astonix, Caprica and Xeiron has traveled with him to support him (and to visit USA for the first time), so we are five Norwegian isotropic players here in Indy ;) .
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:02:51 am by Turambar »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 01:08:17 am »
+1

Nice to see that Norway represents. :D Too bad I couldn't make it there. You were a good sport last year. Enjoy GenCon and go, Scandinavia!

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 05:59:50 am »

Have you met anybody from Germany, yet?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.