Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A drunken affair  (Read 1590 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
A drunken affair
« on: July 30, 2011, 04:30:50 am »

Puzzling is all the rage these days, so here’s one more. It’s fiendishly difficult, but should be a doozy if you’re smart, eager and young, which is likely because you’re reading this forum!

Here’s the situation: Ken0 (good friend of mine and a level 10-ish) and I have started a 2-player game on isotropic using the default card selection. The game is very friendly and we engage in some inane chatter.

Ken0: I just beat theory two games in a row
Geronimoo: wow, good job!
Geronimoo: he must have been pissed
Ken0: yeah, I’m too now
Ken0: cebelerating with my good fiernd Jack Daniesl
Geronimoo: :)
Ken0: stupid kebyaord

Amazingly Ken won against the bane of 5000 players, but I doubt he’ll be able to beat me in his current state. I manage to accumulate 5 Provinces and feeling pretty good about myself. Ken’s only green in sight is the little goblin dancing in front of his eyes, but he’s still able to win this game.

Here ‘s what’s left of the board at the start of my turn:

10 kingdoms:
1 City, 9 Bridge, 8 Gardens, 10 Ironworks, 9 Woodcutter, 9 Fishing Village, 8 Wharves, 9 Laboratory, 7 Pawns, 10 King’s Court

The other cards:
3 Provinces, 8 Duchies, 8 Estates, 10 Curses, 6 Golds are gone, 10 Silvers are gone, some Coppers are gone (Ken0 bought a few due to misclicks)

I buy the last City with my $5. The puzzle starts at Ken0’s turn. You wouldn’t believe it , but Ken0 (curse him!) will still win. However, he needs your help!

Make Ken win before he passes out, so be quick! Really, really quick! No, actually much quicker than that! Use as few turns as possible!

Apart from the 5 Provinces I’m not going to tell you the rest of my deck’s contents, nor Ken’s. You can figure that out for yourselves.

You may assume perfect shuffle luck for Ken0 and awful luck for Geronimoo…

No spoilers, there are hints built into the puzzle
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:32:53 am by Geronimoo »

RobF

• Steward
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: A drunken affair
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:54:23 am »

Don't you win on piles if you buy the last city and both silvers and golds are empty?  I'm not sure if that matters to your intended solution.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 04:57:07 am »

there are more than 10 Silvers and Golds in the supply at the start of the game (unlike the kingdom cards)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 07:15:51 am »

Well, since there are no constraints on which and how many cards you both have, we can just assume you have only bought that City and those 5 Provinces with 3 Silvers, drawing 2 Coppers with those 3 Silvers 5 times (lucky you!).

His starting hand is 5 Cities. From his previous turn, 2 Wharves and 1 Fishing Village are in play.
He gets 4 random cards from his Wharves.

With those 5 Cities in hand, he draws his 4 other Cities with 6 other cards, with those 4 Cities he draws 8 extra cards.
He plays Lab and draws 2 more.

This means he has still 20 cards in his hand.
Among them are 1 Bridge, 1 Woodcutter, 3 Pawns and 15 Treasures.

He plays a Bridge, a Woodcutter and 3 Pawns for +3 Buys / +3 $.

This nets him 8 buys total.

He needs 3 Provinces and 5 Duchies, with Bridge in play, they cost $7 and $4 respectively, so he needs $41 ($21 + $20).
Fishing Village, Woodcutter, Bridge and the Pawns provide a total of $7, $34 remains.

7 x Silver ($14) + 6 x Gold ($18) + 2 Copper ($2) (15 treasures in total) = exactly $34, enough to buy 3 Provinces and 5 Duchies.

He wins by 3 points.

He could also have drawn 3 Coppers with those 3 Pawns instead of playing them for $1, this doesn't matter much.

There are no trashers in the Kingdom, which means both players still have their original 7 Coppers + 3 Estates.
Considering this, ken0 could have bought 5 Gardens instead of 5 Duchies.

Ken0 has at least 9 Cities + 2 Wharves + 1 Lab + 3 Pawns + 1 Fishing Village + 3 Estates + 3 Provinces + 5 Gardens + 7 Silvers + 6 Golds + 9 Coppers (he bought some, thus > 1) = 49 cards, making each Garden worth 4. Having bought one more Copper, each Garden would be worth 5.

This means he could have won by 8 or 13 points. Either way Gardens are better than the Duchies, but the Duchies also work.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:31:57 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 20 queries.