Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Don't start to flirt before the game is over.  (Read 8285 times)

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Don't start to flirt before the game is over.
« on: July 29, 2011, 06:16:34 pm »

After being tortured by opponents last turn you end up with: Menagerie; Province and Curse in your hand. You decided to take last curse from supply rather than discard your last 2 cards. Unfortunately you are quite a bit behind in VP and duchies are over, however there are 2 provinces left, and as a coincidence that would be just enough to celebrate minimal win.

So you play your Menagerie and draw promising: Village,Village and Ghost ship.

Play village drawing: Curse.

Play Ghost ship: now your opponent, which happens to be very sympathetic girl thinking that she has won starts to tease you - she shows that she has 3 golds and 2 villages, slowly putting back those villages on draw pile while keeping to gaze in your eyes. You play village.

You overcome this really tough situation and win.

In fact you have been concentrating and know that there is only one treasury treasure card in your draw pile and it is silver. (There are 10 cards in your draw pile.)

You aren't allowed to play or use any other action cards but the ones that you can now find at your hand. (You have 3 unknown cards in your hand and all of them are action cards.)
Solutions featuring Possession, Outpost, Saboteur, Kings court, Bank, Expand, Masquerade, Venture and Chancellor are not intended. And there are no other victory or VP token cards around.

Edit:also golem, forge, native village, pirate ship, counting house, tournament prize solutions are not intended.

Here is some additional information: you remember your deck and know that there are golds in your discard pile and these are only treasures in discard pile. Knowing this you can always win, no matter how you shuffle.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:45:51 am by ARTjoMS »
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Don't start to flirt before the game is over.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:09 pm »

... there is only one treasury card in your draw pile and it is silver...

I assume you mean treasure.

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:35:14 pm »

You aren't allowed to play or use any other action cards but the ones that you can now find at your hand.

Should I assume Golem violates this constraint?

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:14:25 pm »

Remake/Upgrade + Forges works, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

I assume you don't want solutions involving Native Village, Pirate Ship or Trade Route.

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:21:20 pm »

I think I found the solution you're looking for.

Tribute +4 cards +2 Actions +$2 (revealing Harem + Nobles)
Council Room +4 cards +1 Buy
Vault +2 cards $12 (discarding 12)
Play Silver $2
Buy 2 Provinces

Edit: Hmmm... maybe not. You said Duchies gone (I think.) and there are no other victory cards around (So Nobles & Harem can't be existent, but empty. Also, does this mean that Estates are empty too? I'm asking to see if empty piles matter).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:24:20 pm by Blooki »

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 12:03:01 am »

In the problem, his opponent put two villages back on top of her deck, so Tribute would not be able to reveal Harem/Nobles.  I do think drawing all of the cards and vaulting them might be pretty close to what is needed.  King's court->Laboratory, and then Vault is pretty close, but only draws 8 cards.  I suppose there is the problem of needing a buy too, so that isn't even remotely close.  Remake, Forge, Forge (or Expand or King's Court) is a pretty good answer I think, but I agree that is probably not what the OP is looking for.

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 12:10:01 am »

Ah, I missed that. You have to do more than draw the deck and play Vault. Throne Room + Council Room + Vault gets you there, but falls $2 short.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 12:37:44 am »

I guess this doesn't count...
You play a Counting House and pick all the coppers in you discard pile. Play something for +buy and buy the two Provinces.

I guess the question is: are we to suppose that the solution works for any deck that contains one silver as the only treasure, and any discard deck? Or can we assume the deck composition, as long as it does not violate the constraint? If so, using Scrying Pool+Vault makes it very easy.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:49:46 am »

It does fall $2 short just vaulting the 9 cards (don't vault the silver) from the deck plus the 3 in your hand.  I had missed that there are still 2 actions available from the Villages and wasn't thinking we could Throne something and then play Vault.  We could leave 2 of the cards in the discard if we Throne something that gives $2 before the Vault.  (or perhaps Vault is just a red herring.)

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:57:17 am »

If deck-rigging is legal, Princess + Vault + Horn of Plenty works.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 03:54:45 am »

You aren't allowed to play or use any other action cards but the ones that you can now find at your hand.

Should I assume Golem violates this constraint?

Yes.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:07:52 am by ARTjoMS »
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 04:02:17 am »

There are somu solutions that i am not looking for because i said:

You aren't allowed to play or use any other action cards but the ones that you can now find at your hand. (You have 3 unknown cards in your hand.)

intending to avoid golem, upgrades and some other solutions. I will edit OP.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:09:30 am by ARTjoMS »
- Axe Knight

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 04:14:38 am »

Edit: Hmmm... maybe not. You said Duchies gone (I think.) and there are no other victory cards around (So Nobles & Harem can't be existent, but empty. Also, does this mean that Estates are empty too? I'm asking to see if empty piles matter).
Estates make no difference.
- Axe Knight

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 04:19:51 am »

Ok, I see. The point is that You are not allowed to determine the ordering or the content of the deck, but are able to decide what you have in the discard pile.

It's unlikely that people would know you mean this without being told IMO.

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 04:29:52 am »

Your description of the discard pile is still very vague. If you'd really like to direct us to your solution you should try to be as specific as possible without giving anything away.

Depending on deck composition (1 Silver in draw and Golds in discard), Throne Room - Adventurer - Horn of Plenty should do it, but I have a feeling it's still not the answer you're looking for.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 04:44:52 am »

but I have a feeling it's still not the answer you're looking for.
Indeed, that was not what i was looking for. These 3 unknown cards are all action cards.
- Axe Knight

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 05:17:40 am »

Are you allowing interaction?

Princess - Throne Room - Smugglers

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 05:25:18 am »

Are you allowing interaction?
No. :(. And i edited OP saying that tournament prizes are not intended.
- Axe Knight

Blooki

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 05:47:24 am »

Well I'm stumped right now. Closest I can get with 3 actions and no funny business is Throne Room - Council Room - Vault for $14 and 2 Buys.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 05:56:57 am »

Ok, some more tips.

1) it doesn't matter which of these 3 action cards you play 1st. Oh, no. You can't start with 1 of them. But you can start with the rest 2.
2) i just used search function in this topic to ascertain you can find all card names that feature in my intended solution, but not together.

Or i can PM intended solution
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 06:08:28 am by ARTjoMS »
- Axe Knight

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 06:17:05 am »

Not your intended solution, but: Throne Room, Adventurer, Remodel; TR Adventurer, getting 3 golds and a silver, remodel a gold into a province, buy a province.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 06:48:59 am »

What's the ruling on duration cards?

You could have 10 KC'd Wharfs and Merchant Ships in play...

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 06:55:49 am »

Not your intended solution, but: Throne Room, Adventurer, Remodel; TR Adventurer, getting 3 golds and a silver, remodel a gold into a province, buy a province.
This would have worked before, but now i specified that you can start 2ith 2/3 cards. Here you must start with throne room.
- Axe Knight

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 06:56:53 am »

What's the ruling on duration cards?

You could have 10 KC'd Wharfs and Merchant Ships in play...
These things happen at start of turn. If such things happened i would have told.
- Axe Knight

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 09:28:53 am »

I assume this is a Province game, so you can't do something funky with Colonies or Platinums.

I am kind of stuck, so please look at what I'm up to and improve if you can.

The 3 action cards in your hand are Hunting Party, Adventurer and ???

You play Hunting Party, drawing a Silver and the rest of the cards in your draw deck are all Curses or Provinces, so you need to reshuffle and voilá, you pull out a Gold, since it's the only thing you don't already have in your hand.

You play Adventurer, drawing 2 more Golds.

This is where I'm stuck, you have $11 but one buy (1 remaining action).
So you need $5 with an extra buy.

You could play a Wharf and draw 2 Golds but this would require some shuffle luck.

Also, this partial solution requires you to play the cards in this order.

A working (but possibly invalid) solution is

Salvaging both the Province in your hand as well as a Peddler. This gets you $16 and 2 buys, enough to buy the last 2 Provinces.
However, you've destroyed a Province, so you only gained 6 VP.

The original problem definition didn't specify the amount of VP needed, so this could possibly work.

The problem specified som other trashers which weren't allowed, so maybe Salvager is neither.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:34:03 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.302 seconds with 20 queries.