Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dougz - I would like to send you money  (Read 24923 times)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
Re: Dougz - I would like to send you money
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2012, 02:03:14 am »
+1

The awkward flipside to that argument is how much would we care about dominion without isotropic?  Yes, Isotropic is the reason I am a bit underwhelmed by Goko, but Isotropic's also the reason I give a Scout about Dominion in the first place.  Had I not stumbled across Iso, Dominion would still be that pretty fun game I played once and would kinda like to play more but lol fifty bucks.  I'm not really sure what I am getting at, though.

(I am still PROBABLY going to throw some money at Goko if they can get themselves together)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:05:23 am by Tombolo »
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2012, 02:07:23 am »

The awkward flipside to that argument is how much would we care about dominion without isotropic?  Yes, Isotropic is the reason I am a bit underwhelmed by Goko, but Isotropic's also the reason I give a Scout about Dominion in the first place.  Had I not stumbled across Iso, Dominion would still be that pretty fun game I played once and would kinda like to play more but lol fifty bucks.  I'm not really sure what I am getting at, though.

(I am still PROBABLY going to throw some money at Goko if they can get themselves together)

Ditto the sentiment. I played physical Dominion once with my buddies on vacation a year ago, thought it was pretty fun, found isotropic much later. I'm addicted to iso, not Dominion. After it folds, I'm done. And not just to throw some sort of righteous temper tantrum.. Dominion itself just isn't compelling enough to go through all the trouble and expense.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:51:47 am by Kahryl »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2012, 03:24:02 am »

Some part of me wants to make this a kickstarter just to see how much money we can send to Doug altogether.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2012, 07:16:42 am »
+1

Some part of me wants to make this a kickstarter just to see how much money we can send to Doug altogether.

How about a kickstarter for DougZ to publish Isotropic server code with the copyright-infringing elements removed?
Then someone can put up fan-iso using cards from the variants forum.
This user is banned.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2012, 08:09:41 am »

How about a kickstarter for DougZ to publish Isotropic server code with the copyright-infringing elements removed?

I think he has.  Someone else can find it.

Androminion is open source.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

dor

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 09:32:11 am »

I think he has.  Someone else can find it.

Androminion is open source.

Here

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49:42 am »

Ooooohhh.... Pseudo-Dominion with fan cards? Maybe even the ones that win rinkworks's contest? I'd free ride off of someone's hard work on modifying Isotropic for that!

Maybe I'd even do a little more than free ride...

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 11:06:22 am »
+1

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 11:15:18 am »

This user is banned.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »
+2

We need to kick rinkworks' card-design contest into high gear so we can start churning out more cards!  I love the idea of making a new "Isotropic" using the fan cards that win the contest.  Honestly, I'd be more likely to play that than Goko at the moment.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 04:51:46 pm »

We need to kick rinkworks' card-design contest into high gear so we can start churning out more cards!  I love the idea of making a new "Isotropic" using the fan cards that win the contest.  Honestly, I'd be more likely to play that than Goko at the moment.

I could actually really get behind the idea of a long-term f.ds project of building a game like Dominion with fan cards created by us using isotropic's interface. We could use the set design contest and some other well-tested and well-respected fan cards as the initial basis and incorporate more fan cards over time as they're balanced and coded. I would love to help out with this by helping design and test cards and would be willing to donate some money to a kickstarter if it's something people are genuinely interested in. I'd be curious to hear from Dougz and Donald X. about this idea. I think of it as a tribute to the best game I've ever played, but I don't want it to be perceived as a rip-off of the original game.

Maybe this is all too far-fetched anyway, but I'm just brainstorming here. I'd love to hear others' thoughts!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 05:03:45 pm »

If we had some active coders, that would be a great tool to mass test and debug fan sets and would boost the quality of fan sets a lot.
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 08:24:04 pm »
+6

Provinces with Friends!
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:51 pm »

If we actually start a project of making an online dominion populated solely by fan cards, we'll need to work out all the unused vanilla cards. :P

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2012, 08:27:54 pm »

I wanna see a +Card/+Buy.  I don't know why, but I do.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2012, 09:34:03 pm »
+2

You mean Wharf?

I wanna see +Card/+$

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »
+1

Don't confuse the issues with the facts!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 10:17:20 pm »
+5

Making an alternative server with fan cards doesn't seem on the up-and-up to me. Even though it's not using the card data from Dominion, it'd still be using the same ruleset, so it's still something awfully similar to real Dominion (just with worse card design). For example, the value of the expansion Seaside is not just the new cards it introduces, but also new rules like for Duration cards. If you make a fan card that's a Duration, then it's inherently derivative of Seaside, even if only a little bit.

I wouldn't see any problem if the point were to help design and test fan expansions, but the way it's being discussed in this thread is as an isotropic replacement and Goko alternative, which to me puts it in rip-off territory.

Also see the thread http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3232.0, where Donald X comments:
As usual I have zero interest in discussing exactly to what degree you can rip off Dominion and get away with it legally. Let's just pretend here, among friends, that no-one would do such thing, that any Dominion-inspired game anyone here made would be sufficiently different that of course I would wish them well and so much for that.

Now, a Dominion-inspired game, that would be interesting. Also a lot of work, and hard to make a good one. Donald X had been designing games for around a decade when he created Dominion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 10:31:18 pm »

Fair point.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 11:10:19 pm »
+2

Clearly we should bribe DougZ to implement Tanto Cuore instead.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 11:10:31 pm »

I have nothing to add to blueblimp's post.  That pretty much sums it up.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

minakichan

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 12:14:01 am »

Clearly we should bribe DougZ to implement Tanto Cuore instead.

Always kind of wondered how Arclight got away with it... Maybe because the cards are weaker and the game is therefore not quite as fun.

So it should be okay if isotropic is "Dominion, but not as good!"

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 04:29:29 am »

Well for me it would definitely not be an alternative to IRL Dominion or Goko...I will for sure be getting Goko after the security issues and whatnot are fixed. I would think of this as a by the fans, for the fans tribute to the game we love...but all that said I can see how it might look like a rip off and that's the last thing I'd want to to be. I certainly wouldn't want to do it if DXV didn't like the idea.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

anlin_wang

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2012, 06:01:00 am »

I agree. Me and a few of my friends discovered Dominion at college and the only reason we ever seriously got into the game and the community was through isotropic. Without it I think pretty much all of us are just done with this game other than IRL with the base set and Prosperity that we have.

But I still will throw some money at Dougz though.

Tombolo

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:19 am »

I kinda wanna give Donald some money too if the Goko thing winds up not working out for me.  I haven't bought the real cards (no point- my only interested friends already own them) but I have gotten a bunch of mileage out of his game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.