Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  All

Author Topic: Official Version Launching 8/16?  (Read 98056 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Official Version Launching 8/16?
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2012, 03:17:38 pm »

(Unless they didn't wipe their account database, because then I will have lost the game already. :>)

Thanks... now I just lost The Game.

Arggghhhhh.....damn you!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2012, 03:18:30 pm »

From the Goko Twitter page:

"No ETA yet, but scout's honor that we'll send an update as soon as we get one. "

The irony of this statement is surely lost on whoever types the tweets.  Nothing like swearing on the honor of the worst Dominion card that you'll have your Dominion server up soon!

Now we know this is another four months away.

Wolphmaniac

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: DividedSpy
  • Respect: +279
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2012, 03:22:34 pm »
+1

You would think that a company making web-based products would have more than 12 tweets in its history. (10 today and 2 on 7/31).  That + failed Dominion launch = kinda amateurish.       
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:23:43 pm by Wolphmaniac »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2012, 03:28:15 pm »
+1

You would think that a company making web-based products would have more than 12 tweets in its history. (10 today and 2 on 7/31).  That + failed Dominion launch = kinda amateurish.       

Top be honest, I kind of expected this would happen. My thoughts last night were that this wouldn't launch on time. It will probably be up sometime during Gen Con, but I just had a gut feeling this would happen. Also, the lack of communication from Goko is frustrating. I mean, why not reveal the pricing plan ahead of time, among other things. The whole thing has been in the dark and so secretive. I mean, aside from DA cards, there really isn't anything to hide. But, yah, I saw this coming.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2012, 03:31:15 pm »

Top be honest, I kind of expected this would happen. My thoughts last night were that this wouldn't launch on time. It will probably be up sometime during Gen Con, but I just had a gut feeling this would happen. Also, the lack of communication from Goko is frustrating. I mean, why not reveal the pricing plan ahead of time, among other things. The whole thing has been in the dark and so secretive. I mean, aside from DA cards, there really isn't anything to hide. But, yah, I saw this coming.

Honestly I'm now a lot more worried about how they're trying to brand themselves as the new center for online boardgame developers.
So far today I've seen announced RFTG, Citadels, Catan and I think one other I'm forgetting?
I really think they're going to end up spread too thin and we're gonna have a flashy but very buggy Dominion for a long time.
This user is banned.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2012, 03:33:16 pm »

Honestly I'm now a lot more worried about how they're trying to brand themselves as the new center for online boardgame developers.
So far today I've seen announced RFTG, Citadels, Catan and I think one other I'm forgetting?
I really think they're going to end up spread too thin and we're gonna have a flashy but very buggy Dominion for a long time.

But Dominion is, when it launches, their first functioning product. I'd expect them to make it look good.

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2012, 03:35:12 pm »
+1

But Dominion is, when it launches, their first functioning product. I'd expect them to make it look good.

Look good sure, but actually BE good? I dunno.
Their model seems to be focused on fast development, which may mean polishing falls by the wayside.

Also, since they seem to be hoping to launch hundreds of games in the near future, how much extra development can possibly be justified for a single one of those 6 months out?
I would much rather have seen a company which was focused solely on providing an awesome Dominion game, rather than a "social gaming platform".

I guess previously I thought that Goko was commissioned by RGG to create digital Dominion. Now it seems more like RGG sold out the IP for Goko to use as their launch product.
And that doesn't give me warm fuzzies about the future.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:22:20 pm by polonkus »
This user is banned.

jamuspsi

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:27 pm »
+4

Having played the beta, I can say that it's really improved a lot in the last month or so.  After a few games when I got over the fact that it isn't arranged like and doesn't feel like iso, it became enjoyable just the same.

I also got the feeling- speaking of gut feelings- that the developer(s) have kind of gotten into the game.  Dominion has always seemed to be an extra-attractive game for programmers.  I've seen a few bugs, sure, but I've also seen some really careful attention to detail- like being able to reveal moat twice to one action, for instance.  I'm much more optimistic about it than I was a couple months ago, and I think the extra time they're taking actually supports that.

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2012, 06:13:44 pm »
+1

If this thing doesn't launch by 8/22, do we think they will keep iso up past then? (and maybe with dark ages cards)

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »

I doubt it.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 16, 2012, 08:13:15 pm »

It's a safe bet it will be launched by 8/22, anyway.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 16, 2012, 08:38:46 pm »

....is it?
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 16, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »

....is it?
Yeah. The beta version works well enough. Whatever it is that's holding them up, there's no way it can take more than a week to resolve.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 16, 2012, 09:00:50 pm »
+1

....is it?
Yeah. The beta version works well enough. Whatever it is that's holding them up, there's no way it can take more than a week to resolve.

Aren't you the guy who just found some severe issues...?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2012, 09:04:28 pm »
+1

....is it?

The cheating stuff is not a big deal, because most of it is detectable (so you can ban the offender), and the non-detectable exploits are relatively modest (e.g. peeking on your opponent's current hand). It needs fixing eventually, but it doesn't need to hold up release.

The XSS exploit, on the other hand, is serious and really should be fixed before launch. Shouldn't take long to do though.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2012, 09:12:12 pm »
+2

....is it?

The cheating stuff is not a big deal, because most of it is detectable (so you can ban the offender), and the non-detectable exploits are relatively modest (e.g. peeking on your opponent's current hand). It needs fixing eventually, but it doesn't need to hold up release.

The XSS exploit, on the other hand, is serious and really should be fixed before launch. Shouldn't take long to do though.

peaking at your opponents hand is huge when it comes to PPR
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2012, 09:13:10 pm »

Is it true that we have until 8/22 to keep playing on Isotropic? That's reasonably good news, but surprisingly specific given the lack of information. Where did it come from?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »

....is it?

peaking at your opponents hand is huge when it comes to PPR
I agree. But it only affects people who play with cheaters, so for casual play it's largely a non-issue. The pro leaderboard won't be entirely credible until cheating is impossible, but that's not enough to hold up release IMO.

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2012, 09:49:44 pm »
+1

Fron http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/839965/boardgamearena-shutting-down-dominon-official-v
Mark Judd
(Beaveman)

Re: BoardGameArena shutting down Dominon... Official version soon?
[q="lfisher"]
Quote:
Dominion will be taken down from BGA on August 22th.

Isn't August 22 a date that has been thrown around for the approximate release of Dark Ages? It would seem kind of fitting that Dark Ages and the official electronic version are released at the same time.
 Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:20 pm
QuickReply QuickQuote Reply Quote
Chris Ferejohn
(cferejohn)

Is isotropic going down as well?

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:37 pm
QuickReply QuickQuote Reply Quote
Doug Z
(spongyform)

cferejohn wrote:
Is isotropic going down as well?

Yes, same date.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2012, 11:50:37 pm »

What is Goko's twitter handle? I cannot seem to find it.

rbruba

• Swindler
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 17, 2012, 12:02:21 am »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08:34 am »

http://twitter.com/gokogames

They are getting pretty reamed on there for screwing up their launch. :-\ And they're responding to pretty much every tweet, positive and negative.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 17, 2012, 12:35:13 am »
+1

They are getting pretty reamed on there for screwing up their launch. :-\ And they're responding to pretty much every tweet, positive and negative.

I hate to say this, but they rightfully so do deserve to get some heat. A press release went out today saying that it would be out today. That is kind of silly.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 17, 2012, 12:46:47 am »

I hate to say this, but they rightfully so do deserve to get some heat. A press release went out today saying that it would be out today. That is kind of silly.

Oh I completely agree. It's unprofessional and of course it sucks for all of us who want to play. But still, calling them out on twitter isn't really gonna make things go any faster. So I was surprised to see them responding to all those tweets.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3670
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2012, 12:52:29 am »

Oh I completely agree. It's unprofessional and of course it sucks for all of us who want to play. But still, calling them out on twitter isn't really gonna make things go any faster. So I was surprised to see them responding to all those tweets.

I think it's called damage control.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.