Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12  All

Author Topic: Official Version Launching 8/16?  (Read 98198 times)

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Re: Official Version Launching 8/16?
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2012, 01:43:22 pm »
+2

And the new place isn't tournament ready yet.
Incidentally Trisha will be running "manual" tournaments in the short term; "automatic" tournaments are a planned feature but def. not making the launch.

If she ever needs help putting those tournaments together, there are a few people here who would be glad to help I'm sure. :)
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2012, 01:49:49 pm »
+1

Dominion without Cornucopia ? IMPOSSIBLE.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »

... My favorite expansion by far.  ;D ;D ;D

Prosperity and Hinterlands tie for a distant second/third.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2012, 02:14:06 pm »
+3

Oh, I'm sure having Dark Ages will more than compensate for this temporary loss.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »

Oh, I'm sure having Dark Ages will more than compensate for this temporary loss.

Correction: Having 1/3 of dark ages.  Also, you won't have hinterlands, cornucopia, or alchemy. 
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Jedit

• Scout
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2012, 02:18:13 pm »

Dude, I haven't taken anything away from anything. I am a rock of unlearning.

Aha, so we will see Duration cards return! :D

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2012, 02:33:41 pm »
+1

At this point, the thing most likely to drive me away from Dominion (pretty much entirely, since I don't have a great deal of people to play more-than-just-Base with IRL) is this community. It was this community that got me so wrapped up in Dominion once I discovered Isotropic. The discussions, friendliness, puzzles and articles were all so interesting and insightful that I stayed around and for a long time I was the third (and possibly second for a bit when Guided disappeared) most active member of the forums. Recently though I haven't even been bothered enough about Dominion to even think of going to Isotropic to play the game. I think the reason for that is because I'm spending my time here reading the forums and there's no interesting Dominion discussion. There's just whining and moaning about Isotropic closing and being replaced by an official product, which, as Kirian quite handily pointed out, WE'VE KNOWN ABOUT FOR THE LAST 18 MONTHS. We've also known for the vast majority of that time that it's not going to be a pay-for version of Isotropic, because we were told a long time ago that ChickenZ didn't want the job.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this but I've considered leaving this community a number of times over the last few months because of this, the only reason I haven't is because I've been here so long that I know I won't be able to just walk away. It's not somewhere that really makes me want to play a game that I love and enjoy like it used to anymore though. What's the point of playing a game if I can't have fun discussions about it too?

Unfortunately, at this point, there's no way I can make a statement such as "Funsockets will be getting my money on day 1", and it's nothing to do with Funsockets itself. I think Funsockets is a great implementation of a great game, in need of a few tweaks and additions, but otherwise great. It's this community that's holding my money from Funsockets.

I'm going to wait it out a month of so. If the naysaying doesn't stop, I'll have no choice but to walk away from what's been a huge and exciting part of the last few years of my life. If it does stop and the naysayers leave/get over it, I'll be able to continue enjoying my hobby.

I doubt it'll last. I mean, people always talk about what the latest is. When there were previews happening, there was discussion on the previews, and that went on. There's a whole subforum which sprang up in a week.

Now, isotropic is about to go down, and there's a new implementation - of *course* that's going to dominate discussion for a while. And considering how big news it is, that it'll take over the conversation is sort of unavoidable.

I would expect that once it actually comes out and people start playing in it, people will shift discussion to that. There'll be new Dark Ages cards. Someone will probably start up tournaments or a league on the new platform. And so on.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2012, 03:40:18 pm »

And the new place isn't tournament ready yet.
Incidentally Trisha will be running "manual" tournaments in the short term; "automatic" tournaments are a planned feature but def. not making the launch.

Can you explain?

The main reason I say not tournament ready is the inability to select a random set of cards.  Right now the randomness of a set is only known to one player.

Do you mean that one person will be able to initiate such a game at launch?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2012, 03:47:27 pm »
+7

Can you explain?

The main reason I say not tournament ready is the inability to select a random set of cards.  Right now the randomness of a set is only known to one player.

I am expecting pure random games at launch, and for only those games to be ranked for the pro leaderboard. The intention is to allow biases ala isotropic and I don't know where that stands.

The games where you see the ten cards first and can rerandomize will only be casual leaderboarded.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2012, 03:50:43 pm »
+4

That sounds great, and exactly what I would want for a pro/casual leaderboard.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2012, 03:57:19 pm »
+1

Can you explain?

I am expecting pure random games at launch, and for only those games to be ranked for the pro leaderboard. The intention is to allow biases ala isotropic and I don't know where that stands.

The games where you see the ten cards first and can rerandomize will only be casual leaderboarded.

There's 1 item off the list!  Thanks DX!
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »

Can you explain?

Excellent.  I'll scratch that off my list in the other thread when I'm on an actual computer.

Edit: lol ninja'd
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2012, 04:09:13 pm »

That sounds great, and exactly what I would want for a pro/casual leaderboard.
There's also a third option, "unrated."

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »
+29

UNRATED DOMINION BY DONALD XXX VACCARINO
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2012, 04:19:41 pm »
+3

Can't wait to see the expansion Dominion: Harem's Gone Wild

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:06 pm »

This belongs in the RSP sub-forum, sheesh. You people are so disrespectful around these parts.
Theory, please fork this ASAP.

No, I'm not serious.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2012, 12:15:18 am »

While we're talking about it ... I suppose I don't see the point in having both a 'casual' and 'pro' leaderboard.  Why not just put focus on the pro leaderboard (random games make sense, predetermined kingdoms do not)?

For the record, I'm not a fan of bias games being ranked on a pro board - that doesn't make sense.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:20 am »
+1

I'm really hoping that the first Dark Ages set will be up immediately on launch, because I'll most likely be purchasing it.  I just want to play with ***** again!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2012, 12:53:32 am »

While we're talking about it ... I suppose I don't see the point in having both a 'casual' and 'pro' leaderboard.  Why not just put focus on the pro leaderboard (random games make sense, predetermined kingdoms do not)?

For the record, I'm not a fan of bias games being ranked on a pro board - that doesn't make sense.

From what I understand the pro leaderboard will be for pure random, no sneak peek games. IMO this is the only way to do a realistic leaderboard. The problem, of course, is that lots of people don't like certain cards or want to no play certain kingdoms. Well, these people want a leaderboard too to give them appropriate matchups and to track their skill changes. So I am all in favor of having 2 leaderboards.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2012, 01:14:22 am »

Wow, thanks for this info Donald! Just wondering, can you make an Article here on your thoughts of the product when it launches?
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2012, 01:17:47 am »

From what I understand the pro leaderboard will be for pure random, no sneak peek games. IMO this is the only way to do a realistic leaderboard. The problem, of course, is that lots of people don't like certain cards or want to no play certain kingdoms. Well, these people want a leaderboard too to give them appropriate matchups and to track their skill changes. So I am all in favor of having 2 leaderboards.

From the sound of it, the pro leaderboard won't have veto mode, and I think that is awesome. On iso, I have it set to veto because too many people decline matches. I prefer pure random myself.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2012, 01:48:43 am »

So that people who spend a lot of time playing stuff that's not pure-random also get some sort of feeling of achievement for winning stuff, whereas people who want accurate rankings with random sets can have that, too.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2012, 03:07:29 am »

It seems straightforward that people who want to include Colony in every game or whatever may still enjoy being rated, while at the same time people who want a hardcore test of skill may still want to play with shiny new cards.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2012, 03:41:03 am »

It seems straightforward that people who want to include Colony in every game or whatever may still enjoy being rated, while at the same time people who want a hardcore test of skill may still want to play with shiny new cards.

Will the pro board really be true random?  I'm bad at Prosperity and Cornucopia, but great Promo and Intrigue - maybe I should only buy those?  I think someone else's already mentioned this ... perhaps it can't be solved?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2012, 03:52:01 am »

Will the pro board really be true random?  I'm bad at Prosperity and Cornucopia, but great Promo and Intrigue - maybe I should only buy those?  I think someone else's already mentioned this ... perhaps it can't be solved?

My guess is that one players set of cards is randomly chosen and then a random setup is chosen. So, let's say you don't buy Prosperity, but the other player did, my guess is that the game could choose to use your cards or his cards and so you could still come up against people playing Prosperity. As far as Cornucopia goes, well, that won't be available just yet. And, regarding promos, you will have to earn those, but Stash and Black Market aren't in the system just yet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12  All

Page created in 1.486 seconds with 21 queries.