Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Things we DIDN'T see in the previews  (Read 14780 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Things we DIDN'T see in the previews
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 03:02:41 pm »

According to the Secret History of the Intrigue Cards, Intrigue once had a Reaction that tied into the one-shot theme it originally had. I'm guessing that Reaction was something to the tune of, "When you trash a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing [less than/as much as/$1 more than] that card." If so, it would be nice to see that reaction effect in Dark Ages.

Another plausible Reaction effect is, "When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, trash [some number of cards] from your hand."

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 03:36:01 pm »

I don't think it would react on trashing otherwise it would have to have an obligatory trashing action itself.

On the other hand, other reaction cards can be useless without Attack cards or in the case of Tunnel: A discarder.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 03:45:24 pm »

I don't think it needs to be a trasher itself as long as it does something useful in a game without trashers.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 05:03:43 am »

And still expect to:
A treasure card that does something when trashed (dougz - I think it was him, maybe it was Donald - mentioned that there is a card in DA that makes it important that the cards actually hit the trash from thief; hmmm, but he also said that in practice, this won't matter, so maybe it is not this)

I really hope we do see this, it'd be a nice boost to Mine

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 05:07:12 am »

It might also be a reaction to trashing a card

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 07:55:08 am »

The reaction to trashing is a good idea, and fits thematically. Seems likely :) What would it do?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 07:59:59 am »

The reaction to trashing is a good idea, and fits thematically. Seems likely :) What would it do?

Still one of my favourite cards:
"Doctor $4 Action-Reaction // Trash up to two cards. Get +$1 for each trashed card. -- When you would trash a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, discard this and put the trashed card aside. Put that to your discard pile in your clean-up phase"

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 08:01:53 am »

That's probable, because of the talk earlier of it becoming important for instance that Thief trashes even the cards that don't stay in the trash.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 08:12:57 am »

Still it has to react to your own trashing instead of your opponent's to prevent targeting.
Or something with your left or right neighbor.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 08:41:44 am »

Well, with thief its the attacked player trashing, so i dont see the problem.

bozzball

• Bishop
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 08:53:20 am »

Two trashing reaction possibilities:

When an opponent trashes a card, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, discard it and you may trash a card with the same name.

When you trash a card, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, you may either return it to the supply or top deck it. (Sort of a reverse watchtower)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 08:59:07 am »

When you trash a card, you may reveal this card from your hand. If you do, you may either return it to the supply or top deck it. (Sort of a reverse watchtower)

Which would be one reason for the rules having to mention the lose-track rule. When the Thief "may gain any or all of these trashed cards" they might not be in the trash anymore.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 11:32:13 am »

While Graverobber is thematically a traditional upgrading card (i.e. trash a card in hand for a better card from the supply) with an extra ability, like the Villages mostly involving a word that invokes a sense of a place with lots of people (X Village, City, University), I wonder whether there's going to be something with a more thematic name along the lines of Upgrade/Remake/Develop. What's left in that space, anyway? Renovate?

Improve.  Rebuild.  Reconstruct.  Deconstruct.  Downgrade.   Worsen. 

A trash for benefit that doesn't improve the cost of your cards might be interesting, something like:

'Retool' or 'Reconstruct'
+1 action
Trash a card from your hand; gain a card of the same cost putting it in your hand.

It would give you flexibility. If your hand has too many terminal draw cards you can convert one to an equal cost village and then you're set. Also you could just replace a card with the same card if you only want it for the on-trash/on-gain benefit, or if you want to deplete that pile.

A reaction to trashing or treasure that does something when trashed would also be good, but they would make Thief worse, and it doesn't really need that. Maybe a reaction to other players trashing would work, e.g. When another player trashes a card you may reveal and discard this card; if you do, draw up to 6.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:27 pm »

While Graverobber is thematically a traditional upgrading card (i.e. trash a card in hand for a better card from the supply) with an extra ability, like the Villages mostly involving a word that invokes a sense of a place with lots of people (X Village, City, University), I wonder whether there's going to be something with a more thematic name along the lines of Upgrade/Remake/Develop. What's left in that space, anyway? Renovate?

Improve.  Rebuild.  Reconstruct.  Deconstruct.  Downgrade.   Worsen. 

A trash for benefit that doesn't improve the cost of your cards might be interesting, something like:

+1 action
Trash a card from your hand; gain a card of the same cost putting it in your hand.

It would give you flexibility.

It would also allow you to instantly drain the entire Retool pile in one turn, as soon as you have a Retool and another card that costs the same as Retool in your hand. However, it's a good idea that can work if you say "gain a differently named card of the same cost, putting it in your hand" instead.

*EDIT* Nothing to see here.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:46:51 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 12:41:43 pm »

+1 action

It would also allow you to instantly drain the entire Retool pile in one turn, as soon as you have a Retool and another card that costs the same as Retool in your hand.

Wait, how?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »

+1 action

It would also allow you to instantly drain the entire Retool pile in one turn, as soon as you have a Retool and another card that costs the same as Retool in your hand.

Wait, how?

Started to write out the steps that would allow it; and saw my mistake! Even if you gain another Retool in your hand, you'll need a different card to trash when you play the new Retool. Never mind then!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 01:14:42 pm »

Maybe Retool costs 4 and you've already Ratted up your deck, so every time you play it you trash a Rats, drawing a card (which is another Rats) and gaining a Retool to hand. I don't know what you were thinking in this game, this is probably a terrible plan.

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:34 pm »

Maybe Retool costs 4 and you've already Ratted up your deck, so every time you play it you trash a Rats, drawing a card (which is another Rats) and gaining a Retool to hand. I don't know what you were thinking in this game, this is probably a terrible plan.

The best victories are the surprise victories that come from running down three piles before anyone expects.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.