Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Things we DIDN'T see in the previews  (Read 14275 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Things we DIDN'T see in the previews
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:29:57 am »
+2

And still expect to:
A treasure card that does something when trashed (dougz - I think it was him, maybe it was Donald - mentioned that there is a card in DA that makes it important that the cards actually hit the trash from thief; hmmm, but he also said that in practice, this won't matter, so maybe it is not this)
A curse-giver (though with the looters, this set might not have one)
A more conventional trasher (a la chapel, steward, remake, etc.)
A card with Village in the name
The 5th ruins
The 2nd upgrade card (a la hermit/madman).
The other 2 looters
The other 2 ways to get spoils
More cards that interact with things in the trash somehow, rather than just being trashed
Some reason why the shelters type is important, other than colour....

And which we now don't expect to see
....yeah, pretty much anything seems in play to me now.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
Re: Things we DIDN'T see in the previews
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:58:59 am »

Quick, someone go read the Secret Histories for clues...if things get slow enough at work, I might just do this and post findings here.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:09:37 pm »

And still expect to:
A treasure card that does something when trashed (dougz - I think it was him, maybe it was Donald - mentioned that there is a card in DA that makes it important that the cards actually hit the trash from thief; hmmm, but he also said that in practice, this won't matter, so maybe it is not this)
The 5th ruins
The other 2 looters
More cards that interact with things in the trash somehow, rather than just being trashed

Pretty sure we saw the second upgrader (pillage into double spoils)

also the card doesn't have to have village in its name...it could be a...homeless shelter, or a ghost TOWN (shanty town)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:31:51 pm »
+2

Pretty sure we saw the second upgrader (pillage into double spoils)

That wasn't it.  In Preview #4, Donald accounted for all 500 cards, and the second upgrader and Spoils were separately accounted for.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:05:40 am »

A $2 attack? Unlikely I suppose, but so was pretty much everything else so far ...

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 01:45:01 am »

Between Donald X's comments about "upgrading" being changing cards for other cards, the general poverty theme, and the hit certain Trash-for-Benefit cards took with $1 cost cards, perhaps a trasher that trades cards you have for cards of a lower value.  You might even be able to buff it a bit by having it go into your hand like Trading Post.

Example:

Pawnbroker ($4 / Action)
Trash a card from your hand.  Gain a Card Costing Exactly $1 Less, Putting It Into Your Hand

The idea being you're getting rid of stuff for quick cash.

And still expect to:
The 5th ruins
The other 2 looters

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 03:04:37 am »

While Graverobber is thematically a traditional upgrading card (i.e. trash a card in hand for a better card from the supply) with an extra ability, like the Villages mostly involving a word that invokes a sense of a place with lots of people (X Village, City, University), I wonder whether there's going to be something with a more thematic name along the lines of Upgrade/Remake/Develop. What's left in that space, anyway? Renovate?

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:37:48 am »

What's left in that space, anyway? Renovate?

That could work. Demolish might also fit with the theme. Restore?

It's also interesting to think up thematic effects... maybe a reverse remodel, return a card from your hand to the supply; if you do, gain a card costing up to 2 more from the trash.

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 04:10:28 am »

Improve.  Rebuild.  Reconstruct.  Deconstruct.  Downgrade.   Worsen. 

What's left in that space, anyway? Renovate?

That could work. Demolish might also fit with the theme. Restore?

It's also interesting to think up thematic effects... maybe a reverse remodel, return a card from your hand to the supply; if you do, gain a card costing up to 2 more from the trash.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 08:31:47 am »

A Reaction? Or has it been said that this set doesn't have any?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:34:30 am »

hovel is a reaction

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 10:26:12 am »

Last stand:
Trash a card. If you do play it two (three?) times.

Usually worse than throne room/kings court. But sometimes you would want the card gone. Maybe if it worked in treasure too...

Ed

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 12:10:05 pm »
+3

Last stand:
Trash a card. If you do play it two (three?) times.

Usually worse than throne room/kings court. But sometimes you would want the card gone. Maybe if it worked in treasure too...

Ed

Would totally use this on Moneylender.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 12:12:46 pm »
+5

Scout Friend
Victory $4
Worth 1 VP per copy of Scout you have
A man on a mission.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 12:46:17 pm »

hovel is a reaction
Yes, but would there be another?

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:20 pm »

hovel is a reaction

In the secret history of Seaside, Donald X says that they asked him to put in a card that counters attacks, which turned out to be Lighthouse. All the other sets have a reaction card that counters attacks, and my guess is that Dark Ages will have a card of some sort in it that you can play against attacks.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2012, 04:12:51 pm »

hovel is a reaction

In the secret history of Seaside, Donald X says that they asked him to put in a card that counters attacks, which turned out to be Lighthouse. All the other sets have a reaction card that counters attacks, and my guess is that Dark Ages will have a card of some sort in it that you can play against attacks.

Except for Alchemy.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 12:54:09 am »

That actually fits in with a thought I'd already had - in the realm of "unspoken rules", there's the one of "if you trash a card for benefit, the benefit should be worth more than having the card" or, in Remake terms, if you trash something you get something better. Besides Develop, how could you leverage a card that had "Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly/up to a value $1 less than that of the trashed card" into something actually useful?

(Thoughts: it gives you something as well, it gains the card into hand and gives +1 Action, you get coins equal to the difference but then how is that different from Salvager ...)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 12:59:00 am »
+2

hovel is a reaction

Except for Alchemy.

Alchemy was a half-set, though.  The other half set does have a reaction.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 01:24:07 am »

hovel is a reaction

Except for Alchemy.

Alchemy was a half-set, though.  The other half set does have a reaction.

So, we will certainly see one in Dark Ages then.  But will we for Guilds?
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 02:05:39 am »

The easiest way would be for it to be a mass trasher (say, up to three cards).  They are often useful to get rid of your starting deck.  The other way would be for it to turn into an attack.  Like Vandals or Mobs that force opponents to discard but also take a small toll on some of your own property.

That actually fits in with a thought I'd already had - in the realm of "unspoken rules", there's the one of "if you trash a card for benefit, the benefit should be worth more than having the card" or, in Remake terms, if you trash something you get something better. Besides Develop, how could you leverage a card that had "Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly/up to a value $1 less than that of the trashed card" into something actually useful?

(Thoughts: it gives you something as well, it gains the card into hand and gives +1 Action, you get coins equal to the difference but then how is that different from Salvager ...)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 02:32:48 am »

Reactions will never hurt the attacker directly. But so many rules conventions have been broken already, this may be next. I doubt it though.

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 11:34:18 am »
+1

• Gain two cards, each costing up to $1 less than the card you trash.
  • The card does something cool, and the trash-for-unbenefit is actually a "cost" rather than a benefit. For example, imagine a Laboratory that only costs $3 or $4, but it downgrades a card in your hand (putting it back to your hand).
  • On that thought, imagine something like Salvager that "splits" your card. The wording is complicated, but "Trash a card from your hand. +$X, and gain a card costing up to $Y, where X+Y is the cost of the card trashed."

Of these, I think the first fits most thematically with the "poverty" aspect of Dark Ages. Plus, combos abound. Estate -> 2xPoorhouse, Feodum -> 5xSilver. And of course, Rats makes everything better.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 07:24:07 pm »

• On that thought, imagine something like Salvager that "splits" your card. The wording is complicated, but "Trash a card from your hand. +$X, and gain a card costing up to $Y, where X+Y is the cost of the card trashed."

I love this idea, or a forge variant. Trash x number of cards, gain x cards of the same total value. You could trash two rats and get a copper and a province.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 10:11:44 am »

I love this idea, or a forge variant. Trash x number of cards, gain x cards of the same total value. You could trash two rats and get a copper and a province.

A card like that could get tricky to balance. As you wrote, where you need to gain exactly the same number of cards back, it is probably too weak/specific. Picture a nice forge hand where you trash 7 coppers and an estate. This card would be worthless there. Also wouldn't be terribly useful for trashing any single card, as you could have usually just bought the card of the same cost anyway. I guess it kind of reverses a swindler, but that seems overly specific. I do think these forge-variants are a cool concept, just hard to get the wording and power-level correct while keeping the card useful.

The 'split' a card version is exactly Salvager. The +buy gives you the flexibility to do exactly what is described, without having to take an extra copper if not wanted.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 21 queries.