Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion uh...misconceptions  (Read 19507 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Dominion uh...misconceptions
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:40:10 am »
+9

Sometimes I like to read old BGG threads or Amazon reviews about Dominion and its expansions. It's fun to see how people outside this community perceive the game and sometimes, well...misperceive it. I love coming across gems like this from a comment on an Amazon review of Alchemy:

Take, for instance, the Alchemist card, which is perhaps the most powerful card in all of Dominion.

Then, the very next comment:

With that potion in your hand, you'll damn near always have enough money to buy yourself a Philosopher's Stone.

Mmmm mmmm. :) What a great card.

This stuff is all over the place, but this time I just had to post something.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion uh...misconceptions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:36:46 am »

Sometimes I like to read old BGG threads or Amazon reviews about Dominion and its expansions. It's fun to see how people outside this community perceive the game and sometimes, well...misperceive it. I love coming across gems like this from a comment on an Amazon review of Alchemy:

Take, for instance, the Alchemist card, which is perhaps the .

With that potion in your hand, you'll damn near always have enough money to buy yourself a Philosopher's Stone.

Wow! that's great. just imagine being able to draw all your cards with the "most powerful card in all of Dominion" and then have a p-stone -worth 0. Redefining village idiot?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 05:24:38 am »
+6

EXPAND
This action card, at a cost of 7 coins(!), has quickly become a favorite of mine. It allows you to trash a card and gain a new card costing 3 coins more. So, you can trash a Copper in favor of a Silver, then later trash that Silver for a Gold, then trash that Gold for a Platinum.

You mean Mine, righ... oh.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 09:31:39 am »

Lol this thread is already a favorite of mine. Putting this here so I can see this in new replies ^^
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:06:35 am »
+4

Take, for instance, the Alchemist card, which is perhaps the .

Wow! that's great. just imagine being able to draw all your cards with the "most powerful card in all of Dominion" and then have a p-stone -worth 0. Redefining village idiot?

Yeah, what kind of moron would ever do something like that.  Psssshhh.  (They don't appear in my final deck because Trade Route was going to be the only way to ever get money out of them.)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 06:12:16 pm »
+2

From a review of Seaside on Amazon:

Finally, the *highly* interactive Spy and Thief are favorites from the original, and they have their analogs in Intrigue/Seaside.

And from Cornucopia, I guess someone had never hit Remake-Copper-Copper-Estate-Estate:

Remake *:
Trash two cards and gain 2 cards costing exactly $1 more than each. Tried using it and it's rarely worthwhile. It'd be better if you could trash up to 2 cards I think. The conditions are too harsh and it costs 4.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:35:41 pm »

And from Cornucopia, I guess someone had never hit Remake-Copper-Copper-Estate-Estate:

Remake *:
Trash two cards and gain 2 cards costing exactly $1 more than each. Tried using it and it's rarely worthwhile. It'd be better if you could trash up to 2 cards I think. The conditions are too harsh and it costs 4.

I suspect that a lot of beginner/uneducated players don't really think about the effect of the timing of a buy (i.e. whether a card is a good opener, or whether you want to get it lategame with your +Buy even if it's cheap enough to get early), and it almost certainly hasn't occurred to most of them that this lets you trash Copper, even if they do appreciate the value of trashing Copper.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 03:29:30 pm »

A lot of beginners also look at Chapel and ask why did they print this card.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 12:47:35 pm »
+7

A lot of beginners also look at Chapel and ask why did they print this card.
Ah, I remember learning Dominion...when I saw Chapel, my first thought was "There's clearly something I don't understand about trashing."

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:44:48 am »

I wish I could look at the ending deck composition of my first ever game of dominion. It was with intrigues and I think most of my decks was a terrible hodge-podge consisting of the majority of scouts and probably very little silver, no gold.

Fun times.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:36 am »

Also, new expansions are a great source of hilarious misconceptions about new cards. JoaT? That can't be good...

I eagerly await looking back at Dark Ages postings once we are all a little more experiences.

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 11:39:52 am »

I wish I could look at the ending deck composition of my first ever game of dominion. It was with intrigues and I think most of my decks was a terrible hodge-podge consisting of the majority of scouts and probably very little silver, no gold.

Fun times.

You should pat yourself on the back for not going the village idiot route.  I remember my first deck fondly - it was cellers, villages and markets.  I could draw the whole deck and generate up to $7 on a regular basis!

mnavratil

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 11:46:52 am »
+2

Fun times.

You should pat yourself on the back for not going the village idiot route.  I remember my first deck fondly - it was cellers, villages and markets.  I could draw the whole deck and generate up to $7 on a regular basis!

I think it's funny that the village-idiot mentality is what seems to hook so many people in the first place. Sure, you probably didn't win that game, but I bet it sure was fun to play!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 11:55:41 am »
+4

Fun times.

I think it's funny that the village-idiot mentality is what seems to hook so many people in the first place. Sure, you probably didn't win that game, but I bet it sure was fun to play!
You can draw your ENTIRE DECK!

I distinctly remember the game where my roommate played all nine of his villages (I think), drew his entire deck, went "With $7, I buy..." (long pause) "...another village," and the look on his face as he shuffled it into his deck. I could watch the realization spread across his face.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 12:44:36 pm »

Fun times.

You clearly understood the power of Scout early on, and were even prescient enough to start practicing for Feodum decks - pretty impresive!

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 01:25:38 pm »

My first game was playing zombinion, which is Base + Intrigue with a zombie theme.

All I remember is spamming Nobles and somehow beating three way more experienced players than myself.

I played Zombinion once and somehow totally failed to realize that the cards were all direct rips of actual Dominion cards, as opposed to fan expansion stuff.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 01:32:14 pm »
+14

I remember having played just a few games of Base+Intrigue. I really enjoyed the mechanics of the game, and though I had never seriously been into any other board games, I was hooked.

Then my friend, who had introduced me to Dominion, brought over the other expansions he had. I picked up the Seaside box and read the card descriptions. A particular card caught my eye. Certainly this must be a joke. A card this strong must dominate each kingdom in which it appears. Why print such an absurdly powerful gamebreaking card?

I knew then that we needed to set up a kingdom with this card and play it immediately. I would buy and buy this card and nothing else until it led me to inevitable victory. Fools who ignored it to pursue other strategies would come to regret their naïveté.  I refer of course not to lowly imposters like Wharf, Ambassador, Ghost Ship, Tactician or Sea Hag, but to the mighty Treasure Map.

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 01:42:07 pm »
+1

That's actually pretty understandable.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 01:56:20 pm »

When I first played Seaside, I also thought of Treasure Map as totally awesome. However, I figured the strategy was to buy two, buy some trashers and/or drawers and then get the maps together and transition to big money. On that side, I wasn't too far off. However, I was off in my belief that it had to be a must-buy every game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 02:05:45 pm »

When I first played Seaside, I also thought of Treasure Map as totally awesome. However, I figured the strategy was to buy two, buy some trashers and/or drawers and then get the maps together and transition to big money. On that side, I wasn't too far off. However, I was off in my belief that it had to be a must-buy every game.

For my first several Seaside games, both Treasure Map and Pirate ship were complete must-buys when they were available for everyone in our group.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mnavratil

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 02:09:45 pm »
+5

Now I am just picturing somebody relatively new coming to this thread.
"What do you mean these cards aren't must-buy? So I should only buy pirate ship/Treasure Map like 90% of the time? I don't understand."

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »
+3

When I first played Seaside, I also thought of Treasure Map as totally awesome. However, I figured the strategy was to buy two, buy some trashers and/or drawers and then get the maps together and transition to big money.

I'm not sure why you would muck around with all that when you could just buy more Treasure Maps. You guys know they give you 4 golds on your deck right? Granted, you need two of them, but still. Each treasure map = 2 golds. They'd be balanced at $12.

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 03:08:24 pm »
+2

Until I discovered dominionstrategy, I had no idea of the value of attacks. I figured they were good, but not that great. Totally did not get Sea Hag at all.

zahlman

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 03:19:04 pm »

However, I figured the strategy was to buy two, buy some trashers and/or drawers and then get the maps together and transition to big money. On that side, I wasn't too far off.

What else would you do, except maybe buy a third?

gman314

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 03:22:42 pm »

However, I figured the strategy was to buy two, buy some trashers and/or drawers and then get the maps together and transition to big money. On that side, I wasn't too far off.

What else would you do, except maybe buy a third?

Well, a couple of my friends loaded up on them and tried to get two match-ups in a game.

Speaking of cards I totally didn't get, I totally mis-read Tournament at first. I thought you could only get the +1 card, +$1 if you revealed a Province. I also thought that anyone who revealed a Province could get a prize. Not just on your turn.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.