Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A missed opportunity  (Read 4048 times)

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
A missed opportunity
« on: August 10, 2012, 02:32:27 am »

So, Feodum is the only Victory card in this set, which seems a bit low for 35 Kingdom cards.  I've mentioned already that I'm a bit sad that it turns out to only count Silvers instead of all Treasures (or at least non-Copper Treasures).  But I just realized something else.

It would have been great and on-theme to see an alt-VP card that counted stuff in the Trash.  Obviously, it would have to be a trasher itself as well, to ensure that it's not a dead card whenever no other trashing is around.  Perhaps something like:

Midden
$3 Action-Victory
You may trash a card from your hand.
_____
Worth 1 VP for every two differently-named cards in the Trash.

By going with differently-named cards, like Fairgrounds, this might solve the scalability problem, that a card like this would otherwise be vastly more powerful with more players (doing more trashing!) if you counted number of cards, or the Coin value of the trashed cards.  The VP value and cost could be tweaked, of course; you could possibly also tack on a +1 Action if necessary.

Also, it would totally have actually sort-of comboed with Scout for real.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Re: A missed opportunity
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 02:41:56 am »

All of the current alt VP count things that you own. As soon as you count something external you share out with your opponent. That means anything you do to make it better also makes it better for your opponent. This ends up with as not particularly interesting situation. If you split them evenly it I'd irrelevant how many points they are worth.

EDIT: Furthermore any trash counting card would need to be a trasher lest it be obsolete on some boards my bad
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:35:48 am by Loschmidt »

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 03:06:12 am »

All of the current alt VP count things that you own. As soon as you count something eternal you share out with your opponent. That means anything you do to make it better also makes it better for your opponent. This ends up with as not particularly interesting situation. If you split them evenly it I'd irrelevant how many points they are worth.

Furthermore any trash counting card would need to be a trasher lest it be obsolete on some boards

Obviously any trash-counting card needs to be a trasher itself, my hypothetical example does just that.

I don't see how a card that counts the Trash to determine its benefit is any more problematic than Trade Route or City, both of which also have variable benefits that depend upon the state of supply piles.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 03:30:03 am »

All of the current alt VP count things that you own. As soon as you count something eternal you share out with your opponent. That means anything you do to make it better also makes it better for your opponent. This ends up with as not particularly interesting situation. If you split them evenly it I'd irrelevant how many points they are worth.

Furthermore any trash counting card would need to be a trasher lest it be obsolete on some boards

Obviously any trash-counting card needs to be a trasher itself, my hypothetical example does just that.

I don't see how a card that counts the Trash to determine its benefit is any more problematic than Trade Route or City, both of which also have variable benefits that depend upon the state of supply piles.

Because those cards to interesting things when you play them. Midden is a VP card. In order for it to make the game interesting, it has to be possible to go for some sort of Midden strategy in which you build up the trash. But then your opponent can buy some Middens to "block" you, but they end up getting the same number of points for them that you get. So you did all that work for nothing. So since it's not worth pursuing due to the blockability problem, it's just a boring VP card you buy when you get $3 (or more if there's a lot of stuff in the trash).

Also, it would totally have actually sort-of comboed with Scout for real.
This is one of the major sub-themes in Dark Ages :)

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 04:05:05 am »

I agree with the OP's point that it's a shame there are no other alt-VP cards in the expansion.  I don't need another VP card that counts X, but I do like hybrid victory cards like nobles, tunnel and harem.  These cards are neat, and they add a lot to the game.  I was hoping for another hybrid victory card.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:16:10 am »
+1

All of the current alt VP count things that you own. As soon as you count something external you share out with your opponent. That means anything you do to make it better also makes it better for your opponent. This ends up with as not particularly interesting situation. If you split them evenly it I'd irrelevant how many points they are worth.

EDIT: Furthermore any trash counting card would need to be a trasher lest it be obsolete on some boards my bad

You make a good point.  How about:

Midden:
Action-Victory - $3

Trash a card from your hand.

----

Worth 1 VP for every differently named card in the trash that is not a duplicate of a card in your deck.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:54:47 am »

I agree with Loschmidt and HiveMindEmulator. That being said, there could easily be an Action or Treasure card that cares about the composition of the trash in the same way that City and Trade Route care about Supply piles. I'm expecting at least one of these, since the blurb mentions "cards that care about the trash" and I assume that Graverobber isn't the only one.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 09:54:54 am »

This is very similar to the victory card I suggested the other day here. So yes, I agree it would be interesting to have a victory card that cares about the state of the trash.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:01:43 am »
+5

It would have been great and on-theme to see an alt-VP card that counted stuff in the Trash.  Obviously, it would have to be a trasher itself as well, to ensure that it's not a dead card whenever no other trashing is around.  Perhaps something like:
There was one in Seaside, and people in general hated it. In a sense City is the fixed version - they both get better based on a common resource, but City does so in a much more tolerable way.

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:37:13 am »

There was one in Seaside, and people in general hated it. In a sense City is the fixed version - they both get better based on a common resource, but City does so in a much more tolerable way.

Good to know!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.