Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #24 - Factory  (Read 2715 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Clasic_Cards #24 - Factory
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »

Factory (5)
Action
Choose one: Gain a card costing up to 5; or gain two differently named cards each costing up to 3.

• Expensive or fast? You choose!
  • I don't know how good that second half is. I thought it might be too good being able to get the same card twice (for pile rushes), so I added the "differently named" clause. It's probably still rather powerful.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:42:36 am by Rush_Clasic »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Clasic_Cards #24 - Factory
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:46:36 pm »
+3

I believe gaining a card up to $5 is too powerful.  You can do it with Feast, but it is only 1-shot, and University, but you need to invest a Potion and it only works on Actions.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 11:38:40 pm »

I believe gaining a card up to $5 is too powerful.  You can do it with Feast, but it is only 1-shot, and University, but you need to invest a Potion and it only works on Actions.
Indeed. Maybe cost $6? But then it would be too late and you would never buy it.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 11:43:17 pm »

Workshop costs $3 and is gaining $4s, but of course the $3-4 jump is much smaller than the $4-5 jump.

It might work at $6 with maybe letting you gain the same card twice left in.  I mean if you're going for cheap cards anyway, Bridge is pretty darn good at getting 2 a turn anyway.  Heck, with the comparison to Workshop and the aforementioned $4-5 jump being so big, at $6 it might well work as a Gain 2 $4s card.  I'd leave them different again at that point though.

And while I typed that, Mogrim made the point that if you price it at $6 you're getting it instead of gold.  And gold is already getting you most of the way to a $5 card and is a lot more flexible.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 02:49:44 am »

I suppose I could nerf it down to costing 4, gaining 4, or gaining two 2s. It'd still be an interesting card, but the second half would look dumb in a lot of set-ups. Still, I think y'all are right. I forgot that the jump between 4 and 5 is that much more significant.

Factory #2 (4)
Action
Choose one: Gain a card costing up to 4; or gain two differently named cards each costing up to 2.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 08:37:48 am »

Don't think that this will now seperate enough for Workshop, and also not justify the price difference. You get the option to gain 2 $2s instead of the $4. That might be worth paying $4 for it, but as you need to gain two differently named, do you really want that? Yeah, you could get Estate/Copper in the endgame of a Gardens game, but otherwise? In the beginning of every other type of game, you would usually prefer Hamler over Hamlet/Estate or Hamlet/Copper. And oftern there is no different $2 on the board. So in the end it will play like Workshop.

Maybe just drop the restriction? So you can get double-Estate endgame moves, that will certainly be worth the $3->$4 cost increase. And you can get double-Hamlet, double-Haven when you want.

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 02:01:13 pm »

how nuts would it be to be able to get two three-cost things with the $4 version? I don't feel like it'd be too bad, but it'd make the card feel much more different from workshop, since you're much more likely to use the second option. probably needs to be tested.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 09:42:14 am »

Factory (5)
Action
Choose one: Gain a card costing up to 5; or gain two differently named cards each costing up to 3.

• Expensive or fast? You choose!
  • I don't know how good that second half is. I thought it might be too good being able to get the same card twice (for pile rushes), so I added the "differently named" clause. It's probably still rather powerful.

It seems like this was similar to the Altar card from the Dark Ages set. This was on the right track.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:16:57 pm »

Indeed. Maybe cost $6? But then it would be too late and you would never buy it.

Fun, because Altar costs $6.

We eat our words! :P

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:28:08 am »

I don't know that the two cards are that comparable.  Altar requires a trash (with cards in hand), so it's kind of a Remodel variant rather than a gainer.

Does the trashing requirement it stronger or weaker?  Tough to say.  Probably stronger in the beginning and in Curse/Ruins games but weaker otherwise.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.