Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: So Stressful!  (Read 3311 times)

Mecherath

• Baron
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
So Stressful!
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »

I doubt I'm the only one who just scrolls down to his cards when people start commenting on the contest submissions.  One of my two cards is getting mostly good comments, and the other... is not.  I'm already composing rebuttals in my head for a post-contest post.  Briefly toyed with trying to reply about it anyway, but then I'd have to add in a bunch of other comments as camouflage, and might not be convincing enough.  Plus now this post is here.

Anybody else feel the same way? :)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: So Stressful!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:14:21 pm »

I do this of course. And when commenting, I make semi-negative comments on my card to try to disguise it. :P

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:18:08 pm »

Not at all surprised to see one of my cards get panned, and/or dismissed with prejudice. Past a certain point I was fixing it up more as a matter of pride than anything else (well, okay, also because I would have otherwise had to start fresh, and I didn't have another idea :P ). I think it'll be fun to talk about later, although I'm skeptical that I'll convince anyone of anything.

Mecherath

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:28:33 pm »
+1

I wanted to do something cool with Aqua Regia as a Potion cost card. An acid so named because it could dissolve the "noble" metals - Platinum and Gold).  As far as I know, there are no cards that really talk about Platinum, since they aren't always in the supply. And then whose treasure would it trash? Yours for some crazy benefit, or theirs?

Was thinking of having it trash all treasures it finds, like a Thief that you don't get to keep the loot from, but then realized that would get degenerate fast if multiple people used one.  At least with a Thief or Noble Brigand, somebody has the treasure for at least a little while.  And then of course Pirate Ships become their own Treasure-less force.

I fought with that idea for a while, but never got it close enough to even salvage an idea like zahlman did with his own.  Plus you know, with hidden names, the fact that I was using a historical potion name won't help it.  Also thought about something for Aqua Fortis (another acid that can dissolve silver but not gold) or Aqua Vitae (basically booze).

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:28:49 pm »

I doubt I'm the only one who just scrolls down to his cards when people start commenting on the contest submissions.  One of my two cards is getting mostly good comments, and the other... is not.  I'm already composing rebuttals in my head for a post-contest post.  Briefly toyed with trying to reply about it anyway, but then I'd have to add in a bunch of other comments as camouflage, and might not be convincing enough.  Plus now this post is here.

Anybody else feel the same way? :)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:09 pm »

I fought with that idea for a while, but never got it close enough to even salvage an idea like zahlman did with his own.  Plus you know, with hidden names, the fact that I was using a historical potion name won't help it.  Also thought about something for Aqua Fortis (another acid that can dissolve silver but not gold) or Aqua Vitae (basically booze).

Isn't Aqua Vitae also "Water of Life"?  Yeah it's just ethanol but the name itself is pretty cool.  I actually gave my submission that name, and I wonder how many others did as well. :P

Whenever I comment on my own cards I am usually fairly critical.  Whenever my cards get panned, I am very rarely inclined to defend it.  The criticisms are usually justified, and I accept it with humility.  For example, I submitted a trashing Village to contest #7.  I thought it was really neat and balanced at first... then someone brought up the comparison to Upgrade.  Oops!

Mecherath

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:35:57 pm »

Yeah, you've got Strong Water, Royal Water, and Water of Life.  I guess there's only so much liquids can do for you though... dissolve things or get you drunk.  Alchemy is one for romantic names though.

That would be a cool thing if Alchemy had come out after Dark Ages.  With the Ruins pile as a template, get a bunch of random potions that do stuff when you play them (or trash them).  Get 4-5 different effects, 8 each, and then randomly select 16 for your potion pile.  Almost have to make them face down instead of face up, since they'd all be good, rather than bad like Ruins.  They'd of course all still work like Potions but getting rid of old potions is always a concern.  Alternately, with the Hermit / Madman upgrade notion, some special brews not in the supply that potions can upgrade into.  No worries about more than one Potion card when the Potions themselves can do stuff. :)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2130
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:37:15 am »

What's disheartening is coming up with a new and exciting card idea or mechanic, then seeing other entries with a similar idea, or worse, similar cards appearing in dark ages.

Mind you, with the latter you can gloat about your excellent foresight

PenPen

• Thief
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:35:45 pm »

I'm mostly in for the fun, but obviously I hope I don't get last place! I better at least vote so I can get a point in my cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.