Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Beating IGG  (Read 937 times)

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Beating IGG
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:23:01 pm »

Hi,

I just played this IGG game.  I'd like to discuss it because at first I thought IGG was a horrible card because it completely takes over practically every game, but now I'm starting to think it's kind of interesting.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/09/game-20120809-161019-8a81c651.html
Warehouse
Navigator, Treasure Map
Ill-Gotten Gains, Outpost, Trading Post
Harem, Hoard , Vault
Forge

Here was my strategy:
-Open Navigator/silver
-Get hoard ASAP, before you hit $6 buy IGG/silver to get there.  (I got there turn 4, nice)
-In the midgame, prefer hoard at $6 if no hoard in hand, then harem, then duchy at $5 and maybe a couple of IGG, then warehouse at 4-.

Navigator gets me playing hoard faster (hopefully), harem and hoard get me gold and green while my opponent is busy cursing me, and warehouses find my gold in the green and curses.  It worked out pretty well and I only bought two IGG.  In my opinion my opponent made some mistakes: He bought a forge turn 12 instead of a province, he bought warehouse turn 19 instead of harem or duchy.  He also didn't adjust at all to what I was doing and just bought IGG until they were gone.

So my questions for you:
-Would I have won against super optimized IGG bot?
-Is there a way to improve on what I did?  Maybe a trading post?  I don't really see how I could fit that in though, I just wanted to buy green so soon.
-What are your own ways you've avoided IGG, especially on boards with no cursing?  And by avoid I mean: buying at most 3, and not because you just can't friggin hit $5.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 07:24:38 pm by carstimon »

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Beating IGG
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:54:45 pm »

I've done it on a decent engine board with Upgrade before.  I'll try to dig up the log later tonight.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Beating IGG
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:16:48 pm »

I ran some simulations for a 4 player game from the last isodom semi-finals and the hoard/harem combination worked fine. Even harems on their own can be ok and does make sense if you think about it. With navigator support and vault in reserve I can certainly see that working.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.