Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: IsoDom 5: Quarterfinals Thread  (Read 13700 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 5: Quarterfinals Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 09:46:34 pm »

blueblimp 3 : 1 Turkman

Game 1: Turkman 39 - blueblimp 26
Game 2: blueblimp 35 - Turkman 28
Game 3: Turkman 18 - blueblimp 23
Game 4: Turkman -100 - blueblimp 18

Thanks Turkman for the games. This was a mix of terrible kingdoms (game 1, game 2) and fun kingdoms (game 3, game 4). In the Swiss portion, I had lucked into 1st-player advantage in every series, and finally this time I started second in game 1.

Game 1: So very little going on here. Turkman does BM+Remake. I do BM+Remake+Cache. (Is BM+Remake any good, anyway?) Somehow I end up very, very far behind. Not sure why.

(In between these two, I had to step away for a few minutes and got disconnected. Turkman graciously allowed me to resign a game so that I would be first player in game 2.)

Game 2: King's Court and Mountebank are here. Walled Village too, which we use a bit (Turkman more so). Possession and Witch are present but not so attractive. (Would it be stronger to go Witch here than Mountebank?) I snag a Trading Post after my first Mountebank, but it doesn't do much. I win by pounding Duchies really hard, then piling out on Duchies, Estates, and Curses.

Game 3: A Torturer game, but Trading Post is here to soften it somewhat. I elect to delay my Torturers a bit, instead getting a Trading Post and getting a lot of Highways. I think he got bad draws here and I got good ones. I grab a couple Colonies and am able to pile out the Curses for the win.

Game 4: Ambassador game, and I'm second-player. In hindsight, I probably should have opened Amb/Silver anyway (or maybe Amb/FV), because getting Margrave quickly will decide this game. Turkman gets it first, but thankfully I can get one too. Later, a misclick by him (discarding the wrong cards) results in a dead turn 14, which is enough for me to comfortably win off an Alchemist/Fishing Village/Monument engine.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:48:33 pm by blueblimp »

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 10:48:48 pm »

rspeer 3 : 0 ednever

These were some fun games that worked out very well for me. Thanks for the games, Ed, and sorry about the part where I won all of them!

Game 1: ednever 24 - rspeer 36. Someone explain this game. Ed got two early provinces and played Tournament to get two prizes, and he also cursed me seven times... but I got the last 6 provinces to win.
Game 2: ednever 37 - rspeer 41. I bought Mandarin and Cache and I regret nothing! The Mandarin was to line up Villages and Rabbles for the next hand while making money; the Cache was so I had more money to keep feeding the Spice Merchant. It came down to the last turn.
Game 3: ednever 32 - rspeer 43. A bit of odd maneuvering at the start. I gave myself the option of buying Familiars, but once he had two Traders and a Lighthouse I fell back on Alchemists. As fallbacks go, Alchemist is not bad. And on turn 13, when his deck was fatter, I bought a Familiar to snipe a couple of points.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 01:44:20 am »

Young Nick 3 - 1 yuma.

Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Game 4

Analysis to come at a future point.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 10:07:59 pm »

Kirian 3:0 Jorbles

A series of interesting boards:

Kirian 48-9 Jorbles: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/22/game-20120822-181242-afe9f56b.html
Kirian 50-39 Jorbles: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/22/game-20120822-181242-afe9f56b.html
Kirian 67-47 Jorbles: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/22/game-20120822-181242-afe9f56b.html

Jorbles has some bad luck in each of these.

Game 1:  I get great Swindler luck, and Jorbles gets lousy Swindler luck.  His giving me a second Potion with Swindler was a bad decision as it allowed me to catch up on Alchemists, but I think his Swindlers hitting literally zero Coppers really doomed him here.

Game 2:  Crossroads/GH is pretty awesome for drawing your deck, but it needs a bit to get going.  Jorbles gets unlucky early with Festival and Library not colliding, but the game is still close; a bit better luck on his part and the game would have been his.

Game 3:  No one expects the Tribute pile to run dry... but when it's the only source of actions, and you really want to play with the Goons and GMs, well... here you go.  I get an early lead, Jorbles catches up with me, but I get a couple of lucky Colony turns at the end and run out the Estates to clinch before he can get lucky too.

Well-fought games all.  Good match.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2012, 06:03:55 pm »

clb-3, Wizard of Woz-0
Thanks for the games, Wizard.
clb 26 - Wizard 4
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/23/game-20120823-142130-b754e858.html
This first game was rough on Wiz because of a mis-click early on.
clb 59 - Wizard 57
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/23/game-20120823-143007-98216aa0.html
The second was BM+X with a couple of different guesses as to the best X. I am not convinced that my strategy was strictly better - seems lady luck smiled on me today.
clb 72 - Wizard 57
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/23/game-20120823-144830-fc55aa3a.html
The third game was my Margrave+Fools Gold v his Walled Village + Margrave + Grand Market with some Expand help. I had intended to get some hamlets along the way, but never found a terribly convenient time. Luckily, I got a couple of Colonies in, then was able to get 7 provinces fast enough to stave off his mounting engine. His engine would have been very powerful - seems that it just wanted a little longer (two more Colony turns) to beat me out.

Thanks for the games, Wizard!

Edit: fixed duplicate log info - thanks HME!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:20:06 am by clb »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 06:31:00 pm »

@both previous posters: both of you have some duplicate game log links

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 06:45:30 pm »

Kirian 3:0 Jorbles

A series of interesting boards:

Jorbles has some bad luck in each of these.

Game 1:  I get great Swindler luck, and Jorbles gets lousy Swindler luck.  His giving me a second Potion with Swindler was a bad decision as it allowed me to catch up on Alchemists, but I think his Swindlers hitting literally zero Coppers really doomed him here.

Game 2:  Crossroads/GH is pretty awesome for drawing your deck, but it needs a bit to get going.  Jorbles gets unlucky early with Festival and Library not colliding, but the game is still close; a bit better luck on his part and the game would have been his.

Game 3:  No one expects the Tribute pile to run dry... but when it's the only source of actions, and you really want to play with the Goons and GMs, well... here you go.  I get an early lead, Jorbles catches up with me, but I get a couple of lucky Colony turns at the end and run out the Estates to clinch before he can get lucky too.

Well-fought games all.  Good match.

Not sure what I would have done differently here, I guess this is just a reminder that this is still a game of luck. Aside from giving him a second Potion which was a gaff, I don't think I would have really changed much. Game 1 Swindler's went bad for me. Game 2 I still like my Festival/Library strategy, but man did I have an atrocious time getting them to line up (especially in the earlier portions of the game). In Game 3, the Tribute game, his Tributes flipped my first Goons 2 or 3 times, and I was just kinda left shaking my head. Any advice on something I could have done tactically to improve my odds would be appreciated, but I'm not really sure I had much of a chance here.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 07:58:52 pm »

@both previous posters: both of you have some duplicate game log links

Aw dammit.

Meanwhile, on Council Room:  Internal Server Error.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 06:15:21 pm »

-Stef- beats ycz6 in a close match that required a 6th game.

1-0
1.5-0.5
1.5-1.5
2.5-1.5
2.5-2.5
3.5-2.5

I dont have that much to say on these games. The 5th match he played a lot better then I did.
Join the Dominion League!

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 06:45:59 pm »

1. Apprentice / Witch game with some crazy endgame shenanigans where I screwed up

2. Steward / Fool's Gold. Not sure if my one Noble Brigand helped or not, sure seemed like it did though.

3. Chapel / University / Torturer mirror where I went off first.

4. Tactician / Forge and Warehouse / Menagerie. He outplayed me at every step.

5. Horse Traders / Silk Road with Farmland around also.

6. Duke, Smugglers and a bunch of other stuff. Still not sure what the right strategy would have been here, seems tricky.

jmieden

• Baron
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 11:30:32 am »

Teproc 3- jmieden 1

Game 1: Teproc 50, jmieden 24
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-071947-6913c187.html

This one started with an alchemist race, and turn 3/4/5 put Teproc well ahead of me as he went 5/3p/4p and I got 4/4/5p. He didn't waste the advantage and grabbed Goons and great support with Cartographer early. He smoked me; it wasn't even close. Good game though :)

Game 2: Teproc 68, jmieden 63

I forgot to grab the log on this one. This board was crazy. It was a colony board with many great province cards. It was Goons, Mine, Minion, Vault, Venture, Tournament, Horse Traders, JoaT, some $3 and Fool's Gold. With so many choices and so many power cards for province games, each of us contemplated whether to rush provinces or go after colonies. I ended up going heavy into Tournament and took a Minion and Goons as well. He took a Horse Traders and a bunch of Ventures and a Goons early, then transitioned to Tournament and BM. We both got to province at the same time and the game ended up really close, but Teproc came out on top.

Game 3: jmieden 14, Teproc 11
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-071947-6913c187.html

This was a fun one. I opened Warehouse/JoaT and he opened Silver/JoaT. It was a great tactical IGG game, which are my favorite to play. I think that the Warehouse (awesome synergy with JoaT) sealed this one up for me. Just like many good IGG games, it was really close.

Game 4: Teproc 36, jmieden 22
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201208/28/game-20120828-074914-35257447.html

This was a fun game. I was feeling like I wanted to experiment, having had Warehouse work out so great in the last game, so I didn't open Sea Hag/Silver like I should have. Instead I went Talisman/Silver hoping to Get 2xRemake early and Highways and get into that combo. The Sea Hags slowed me down too much and Teproc built a great deck with Nobles, Walled Village, Conspirator and Highway. On my last turn, I was able to get to 6 back with 1 province remaining, but Teproc buried me on his next go.

Overall:
Four great games with a very classy player. Had some very interesting boards with very different skill sets needed to win. Two times, we opted for completely different strategies, so that's always fun too. I enjoyed these thoroughly and look forward to playing against Teproc again. Much luck to him in the next round!

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.