Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64  All

Author Topic: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia (CONGRATULATIONS VOLTGLOSS, aka DEATH)  (Read 164864 times)

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia IX: Major Arcana Mafia (CONGRATULATIONS VOLTGLOSS, aka DEATH)
« Reply #1550 on: September 15, 2012, 10:31:56 am »

i remembered that before volt had agreed with yuma's stunt and decided to vote for galz; but then said later that he thought that was scummy and NKed him

It didn't look scummy when yuma switched to Galz (and at the time I genuinely didn't think sparky was scum).  But when sparky actually flipped scum, yuma's switch away from him looked rather scummy indeed.

I was telling the truth there, actually.  I suspected yuma of being scum and figured the other scum would almost certainly be killing conf-town targets that night.  That's part of why I killed yuma.  (The other part was that yuma has a tendency to NOT "follow the herd" in terms of suspecting people, which made him - in my view - one of the likeliest people in the town to try to push a wagon on me.)

The fact that yuma turned out to be Wands was a happy accident.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: September 15, 2012, 11:17:36 am »

Well, I don't think there's ever been such an effective, systematic elimination of scum... that still culminated in a scum win?

Sparky, Insomniac and I did horribly, though I'm not sure where we went so wrong. I suspect Insomniac got a bit unlucky. Sparky made that huge confession slip up, that was disaster. I was under a lot of suspicion the whole game, and I was trying to play a different scum game this time by being less polished and involved. Didn't work. Oh well!

Congrats, Volt!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: September 15, 2012, 11:24:46 am »

It didn't look scummy when yuma switched to Galz (and at the time I genuinely didn't think sparky was scum).  But when sparky actually flipped scum, yuma's switch away from him looked rather scummy indeed.

That was one of the more embarrassing moments for me....

But I don't regret it, it got the town moving and pushing and eventually led to town getting lynched, which was my whole goal. But I do have to admit it was pretty funny to start a fake wagon on scum and then abandon it to start a real wagon on town!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 15, 2012, 11:25:22 am »

Oh, and Angrybirds. Dear, sweet Angrybirds. The hilarity of you locking onto me as scum D1 was almost too much to bear. I was convinced at one point that Cayvie must've mentioned me somehow in your PM because it was just to ironic that you would push to lynch the one person who had loved you your whole life!
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: September 15, 2012, 11:26:28 am »

But I don't regret it, it got the town moving and pushing and eventually led to town getting lynched, which was my whole goal.

And I bet you had a 0% chance of flipping town, too  ;)

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 15, 2012, 11:33:06 am »

But I don't regret it, it got the town moving and pushing and eventually led to town getting lynched, which was my whole goal.

scumslip vote: yuma

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:57 am »

I read that. But I haven't had any coffee yet so just assumed that my brain was interpreting what you were saying wrong. Guess it wasn't. post-game vote: Yuma

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: September 15, 2012, 11:37:00 am »

I read that. But I haven't had any coffee yet so just assumed that my brain was interpreting what you were saying wrong. Guess it wasn't. post-game vote: Yuma

what you all don't know is that I did that on purpose so the next time I am scum and scumslip I can reference back to this and say, "It happens all the time, I even did it when I was town, after the game was over!" But now I just told you all that, so....

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 15, 2012, 11:37:37 am »

Well, I don't think there's ever been such an effective, systematic elimination of scum... that still culminated in a scum win?

Yeah, I know, right?

I think this game is really good evidence that more nightkills = bad for town, even if the nightkills are town-controlled.

Consider: N3, Morgrim didn't get his night action in until an hour before deadline. I really thought he wasn't going to shoot; and that would have resulted in a town win! (Volt had told me he was going to lynch Axxle, and then Morg shoots Volt at night).

Mostly it's that the town got to lynch a total of 3 people in a 16 person game. I think the absolute minimum should be 5.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: September 15, 2012, 11:54:23 am »

Ack, sorry I let you down Insomniac and Robz. I was doing SO WELL for a while, but then I garnered attention with my stupid L-1 vote (which, hey, was actually on opposing scum!) and I couldn't get out of that rut  :( I also got overwhelmed by all the role-claims. I also should have tried to point out remaining scum with my flip. It was fun playing with you guys though. Lots of "what-ifs" for me, but idunno if it would have mattered. Volt pwned absolutely everyone XD

I suspected that the last Tarot card was Death actually. I'd imagine it was something like "once during the game, you can vote someone and it'll count as an instant lynch," pretty close but not quite. With the actual power, once he lasted to Day 4 the game was over, he was too powerful.

At least I brought down ONE person lol. shraeye did a good job for suspecting me at one point, even if drunk. He had to go  ;D

I said in the Spectator QT that angrybirds had a power role, because I was looking at everyone's "last active" times, and angrybirds was taking a while. At the back of my mind I thought, if it wasn't angrybirds it was Morgrim, because he wasn't very active either. Turn outs Morgrim was the last town PR.

Quote from: Voltgloss on September 03, 2012, 11:05:31 am
I wish I had time to finish my "...reading from the beginning..." posts, but unfortunately real life has conspired against that - so let me summarize recent thoughts as:

- (yuma's gambit) Exactly the kind of thing I tried to do in a recent (not yet finished) game where I was Town.

- (sparky case) Like it not.  yuma's case on Galz makes a lot more sense to me.  Galz citing raw statistics in response (post counts) feels slightly scummy to me - citing raw numbers without taking into account how many posts were RVS or non-substantive?  Misleading. 

yuma and I have had our different views in the past but I approve of his thinking here.

Vote: Galzria

Quote from: Voltgloss on September 13, 2012, 10:42:12 pm
But when I targeted yuma Night 2 (in retrospect of sparky's flip, I thought yuma's pushing sparky's wagon along only to abandon it towards day's-end was scummy) and saw the "heart attack" flavor, I was even more confused.  It was only after rereading Eevee and realizing he would never have targeted yuma that I concluded the serial killer is, in all likelihood, Major Arcana and able to use otherworldly killing abilities.  His flavor trumped mine on Night 2.  I don't know what happened to his kill on Night 1 - maybe Insom doctored it in his last gasps as Mafia Doc.

nice catch angrybirds! I knew Volt was lying somewhere once I saw his claim lol. You played well, much better than I did lol

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: September 15, 2012, 11:56:41 am »

yeah, at one point, sparky, i messaged jo to tell him i thought you were the scum doing the best job

i was very surprised that you wound up lynched that day!
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: September 15, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »

haha, well if Grujah wasn't like "It's THREE confirmed townies on him! Come on guys," I might have escaped unscathed  ;D The whole town, especially Grujah, did really well to find me out.

I've been told in the past that I'm a dangerous player when Mafia. Day 1 I did well, Day 2 not so much though lol

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 15, 2012, 12:10:50 pm »

It was a lot of fun to watch this one knowing the whole setup. As unbalanced as it might be, I would definitely play if cayvie ever decided to use a tarot set-up again. (There's still 3 more MA even I don't know what they do!)
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: September 15, 2012, 12:12:05 pm »

It was a lot of fun to watch this one knowing the whole setup. As unbalanced as it might be, I would definitely play if cayvie ever decided to use a tarot set-up again. (There's still 3 more MA even I don't know what they do!)

3 more?

Theres 20 more!

she/her

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 15, 2012, 12:19:18 pm »

I would also absolutely play another round.

Mafia Record:

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: September 15, 2012, 12:21:33 pm »

The thing is that, the systematic elimination of competing scum benefited me in a way that it wouldn't for a "normal" SK.  Usually a SK has some protection against the scum (bulletproof), but no protection from the lynch.  Here, I was completely vulnerable to the scum (and ALL THE OTHER NIGHTKILLS running around), but had a late-game means to manipulate the lynch.

Congrats, Volt!

Thanks!  I'm curious:  did you genuinely think I was town, or were you just throwing wine in the town's face?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: September 15, 2012, 12:23:16 pm »

3 more?

Theres 20 more!

:o

I would recommend excluding the used ones from the deck next deal.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: September 15, 2012, 12:25:14 pm »

TBH, I'm going to be significantly revamping the deck.

Death turned out pretty much exactly like I'd hoped.

The High Priestess was really weak; I'll probably redo that one.

she/her

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 15, 2012, 12:30:48 pm »

Also:

Hey everybody, notice the massclaim discouragement I put in this game! There's probably going to be more of that in future games I run!

she/her

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: September 15, 2012, 12:33:39 pm »

I fingered you as an SK pretty early Volt but good job none the less!
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 15, 2012, 12:42:52 pm »

The thing is that, the systematic elimination of competing scum benefited me in a way that it wouldn't for a "normal" SK.  Usually a SK has some protection against the scum (bulletproof), but no protection from the lynch.  Here, I was completely vulnerable to the scum (and ALL THE OTHER NIGHTKILLS running around), but had a late-game means to manipulate the lynch.

Congrats, Volt!

Thanks!  I'm curious:  did you genuinely think I was town, or were you just throwing wine in the town's face?

I actually had a pretty null read on you until right before I died, at which point I was fairly certain you were scum. So yes, a bit of wine. I had trouble faking opinions in this game particularly--I didn't know what to say about anyone!--and claiming you were town was the best I could do.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: September 15, 2012, 12:43:57 pm »

but Robz, I TOLD you Volt was the SK, even invited you to hydra it, but before you said anything you got day shot  >:(
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 15, 2012, 12:54:18 pm »

Night 2:
Morgrim stabs Grujah

wait what

sparky5856

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 15, 2012, 12:56:01 pm »

Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to be cautious. I would have let other scum kill him though. I thought Grujah's proof was pretty adequate that he was who he was.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 15, 2012, 12:57:58 pm »

Night 2:
Morgrim stabs Grujah

wait what

hey, i can actually follow that logic.

morg knew that the stabs were him, and the natural causes deaths had yet to show up. therefore, the strangles seemed like the SK.

she/her
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.