Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Effects of negative coin?  (Read 3727 times)

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Effects of negative coin?
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:02:07 am »

I have a purely theoretical question here, because this doesn't come up in any official dominion card.  Imagine you have a card that simply gives -$3, such that you could end up with negative money at the end of the turn.  What happens? 

I would argue that it simply means you can't buy anything, not even a copper.  Other than that, it has no effect.  Would this break anything that I'm not considering?

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
Re: Effects of negative coin?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:20:57 am »

Since all cards reducing costs until today always claim "not less than 0" and similar on Poor House "to minimum of 0" i would assume there are no negative money. It should be not worse than having no money at all.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 03:30:56 am »
+3

Well, in this hypothetical situation where you can have $-3, then yeah, I think it should be worse than having no money at all. When you buy a card, you have to have at least that much money to spend. If you have $-3, and a copper costs $0, then you don't have $0 to spend. You have less.

Of course, the amount that that breaks people's brains is a great reason never to have a card that allows negative money.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 05:49:22 pm »

I have a purely theoretical question here, because this doesn't come up in any official dominion card.  Imagine you have a card that simply gives -$3, such that you could end up with negative money at the end of the turn.  What happens? 

I would argue that it simply means you can't buy anything, not even a copper.  Other than that, it has no effect.  Would this break anything that I'm not considering?

In the world of a game; you could certainly make such a rule, but I don't think you would. It would simply make more sense to re-price everything so that your lowest negative is $0 instead; and then change the other rules around that.

Now, in real life, it doesn't work that way, even if it "should." Say you don't have a single penny to spend, and worse, you are $100 in debt. You have $-100 available. And yet, you are still able to take any free items that are out there; even though they cost $0 and you have less than $0.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Guy Srinivasan

• Salvager
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »
+4

Interesting... just as -1+i is not less than 0, is -1+P not less than 0? Play Bridge, Play Potion, buy Vineyard, buy Great Hall. :D

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »

Great hall costs 3, with bridge it costs 2, you wouldn't be able to buy it if you only had 1p...

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 07:09:54 pm »

Great hall costs 3, with bridge it costs 2, you wouldn't be able to buy it if you only had 1p...

He's saying that the Bridge makes the Vineyard cost -1 + P, and the Great Hall costs 2.  You have $1 plus the negative 1 from the Vineyard, since "-1 + P" is not "less than 0".  Too bad it doesn't work that way :(
A man on a mission.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 09:19:29 am »

He's saying that the Bridge makes the Vineyard cost -1 + P, and the Great Hall costs 2.  You have $1 plus the negative 1 from the Vineyard, since "-1 + P" is not "less than 0".  Too bad it doesn't work that way :(

Who says that it doesn't?

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:58:45 am »
+2

The Alchemy rules.

Bridge makes cards cost $1 less this turn. This lowers the cost of a card costing $1P to $P. It does nothing to the cost of a card costing just $P.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 12:42:34 am »
+3

Rulebooks? You mean you can read those instead of misplacing them and finding them years later sandwiched between Power Grid expansions?

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 12:51:44 am »

We live in the information age.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.