Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Is it really that bad?  (Read 26806 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Is it really that bad?
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2012, 09:51:42 am »
+1

Where's the setting that lets me just click on the card to play it, instead of having to click on the tiny + in the bottom right hand corner of the card?

Also, where is the undo option akin to isotropic's?

The + is for BUYING the card.  That's the Supply, not your hand.  And iso NEVER HAD AN UNDO BUTTON.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2012, 09:53:12 am »
+2

Where's the setting that lets me just click on the card to play it, instead of having to click on the tiny + in the bottom right hand corner of the card?

The + is for BUYING the card.  That's the Supply, not your hand.  And iso NEVER HAD AN UNDO BUTTON.

False!  You can undo basic treasure plays - so if you accidentally play copper and you f'd your grand market buy - you can fix it.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2012, 10:08:42 am »
+1

False!  You can undo basic treasure plays - so if you accidentally play copper and you f'd your grand market buy - you can fix it.

That wasn't an undo button so much as a "are you sure you want to do that?" button.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

polonkus

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2012, 10:10:20 am »
+1

That wasn't an undo button so much as a "are you sure you want to do that?" button.

Um, it says "UNDO" on it. Why do people on this forum have such a hard time admitting they could be wrong about something?
This user is banned.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2012, 10:12:05 am »
+2

Why do people on this forum have such a hard time admitting they could be wrong about something?
Why is everyone generalizing from a sample size of 1?*

*Admission: I'm probably wrong about the sample size actually being one.

Edit2: @topic: Goko probably needs an undo button for more things than isotropic has with the current interface. Iso can undo basic treasures, but it's a lot easier to misclick Actions, or trash accidently (this is more an interface problem), especially on touchscreen.
Edit3: On the other hand, it's probably impossible to undo actions, because of information gotten from drawing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:17:34 am by DStu »

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:10 am »
+1

There aren't a whole lot of actions you can Undo. Anything that draws a card, reveals your deck in any way, has opponents react in any way, or has a variable effect can't be undone. So that leaves what, Merchant Ship?

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2012, 10:44:58 am »

Edit3: On the other hand, it's probably impossible to undo actions, because of information gotten from drawing.

I think it would be nice with an undo you always could do as long as you haven't got any new information (which is the way I generally play many games with friends). Drawing cards is one obvious thing that gives information. Another is playing of attacks or doing other things that opponents can have Reactions for. But many actions don't give information, like playing Monument or Mint. That could even be dependent on cards in play. If Fool's Gold is in the game there is a ::NO_UNDO_PAST_THIS:: on gaining a Province, but otherwise you can change your mind so if you have $10 and 2 buys and bought a Province you can buy one, gain it, and then undo, "no, I buy two Minions instead!". (If you only have 1 buy it would probably not be possible to change your mind, because it would be to much hassle with having to press "end-of-turn" each turn explicitly.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 10:45:05 am »
+4

There aren't a whole lot of actions you can Undo. Anything that draws a card, reveals your deck in any way, has opponents react in any way, or has a variable effect can't be undone. So that leaves what, Merchant Ship?

Woodcutter. KC, TR. Festival. Fishing Village. I could go on...

Anyway, you can't do it consitently, so better leave it. It's just confusing when you can undo some actions and can't undo others.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 02:41:52 pm »
+3

We don't need an undo button. We need the interface to make more sense like having your cards grow red when your opponent is playing Bishop. Instead, they glow green and where I come from, green means go. Red means stop. So, when I see Green, I'm like, hey, it's my turn. And, then I'm like, of crap, I just trashed a Nobles.

Also, everything is single click. It should be double click. It is easy to misclick with single click.

alcaras

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
    • Subcreation
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2012, 08:13:07 am »

We don't need an undo button. We need the interface to make more sense like having your cards grow red when your opponent is playing Bishop. Instead, they glow green and where I come from, green means go. Red means stop. So, when I see Green, I'm like, hey, it's my turn. And, then I'm like, of crap, I just trashed a Nobles.

Basically this. I'd be in favor of having you tap on cards to select them, then click a button (where the DONE button is, but with a proper label) to actually "lock in" your action. Analogous to iso's checkboxes and submit buttons.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2012, 08:34:26 am »
+6

Yeah - I raised this with them - there should never be a "Done" button - it should always be explicit what activity you are done with.   I'm done discarding to vault vs. I'm done with my buy phase are very very different things.

Also - the "I'm done buying" button should not be 10 pixels away from "Play all my treasures"
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2012, 02:43:30 pm »
+1

Also - the "I'm done buying" button should not be 10 pixels away from "Play all my treasures"

One thing I definitely will praise Goko for--having the + buttons in lower right corner of the cards for gaining/buying is wonderful. If you miss by a few pixels and click the next card over, you don't get stuck picking up the wrong card! It's also a nice way to indicate what cards are available for you to buy/gain.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2012, 02:46:59 pm »
+1

Yeah - I raised this with them - there should never be a "Done" button - it should always be explicit what activity you are done with.   I'm done discarding to vault vs. I'm done with my buy phase are very very different things.

I'm surprised the whole "Done" button hasn't gotten more attention. I forget who it was (might have been on the beta forum) but whoever posted that it might as well say "Press Me" had the most accurate take on the situation.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2012, 03:46:35 pm »

I think it'd be cool for Trashing to just drag the card from your hand to the trash -- No misclicks then!

And for discarding, move it from your hand to the discard pile -- No misclicks either!
A man on a mission.

Elysium

• Steward
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2012, 03:48:41 pm »
+4

I think it'd be cool for Trashing to just drag the card from your hand to the trash -- No misclicks then!

And for discarding, move it from your hand to the discard pile -- No misclicks either!

No! No dragging!  Ever!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2012, 03:48:55 pm »

Yeah that's what we need, more drag and dropping :( :( :(

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2012, 04:03:26 pm »

Genuinely notsureifserious

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2012, 04:13:08 pm »

Poe's Law comes to f.ds.

OK, not really, but I'm preeeety sure Powerman is being heavily sarcastic there.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2012, 04:17:38 pm »

No! No dragging!  Ever!

Dude, dragging is awesome on a phone/tablet. I prefer it to "clicking". If Goko ever solves their myriad issues (including the memory leaks that make play on mobile devices all but impossible), I'll be very happy to have the drag and drop options.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2012, 05:16:49 pm »
+1

No! No dragging!  Ever!

Dude, dragging is awesome on a phone/tablet. I prefer it to "clicking". If Goko ever solves their myriad issues (including the memory leaks that make play on mobile devices all but impossible), I'll be very happy to have the drag and drop options.
Dragging: great on a touchscreen (provided non-sweaty hands), bad with a mouse, horrible with a touchpad.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2012, 05:32:01 pm »

No! No dragging!  Ever!

Dragging: great on a touchscreen (provided non-sweaty hands), bad with a mouse, horrible with a touchpad.

Agreed. That's why you have the option to click or drag. The interface just needs to make it more clear what your click will do.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:18 pm »

No! No dragging!  Ever!

Agreed. That's why you have the option to click or drag. The interface just needs to make it more clear what your click will do.
There are plenty of things you can't do without dragging, unfortunately.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2012, 12:08:19 am »

Poe's Law comes to f.ds.

OK, not really, but I'm preeeety sure Powerman is being heavily sarcastic there.

No not sarcasm... thinly veiled contempt :)
A man on a mission.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2012, 09:37:58 am »

Actually, in the current beta, you CAN DRAG to the discard and trash instead of clicking. But, you can click, as well....So there are still mistakes. I actually don't like the dragging that much because the Trash and discard piles are so small relative to the card size, it's kind of hard to see what you're doing.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2012, 05:01:39 pm »
+1

I believe they intend to provide buttons as alternatives in more cases. This is something I complained about and they okay'd. Like Pearl Diver has buttons, you know, and that makes it easier to resolve than Spy, which doesn't.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.