Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What do you do with a Possession + Ambassador game?  (Read 1574 times)

mcshoo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
What do you do with a Possession + Ambassador game?
« on: July 28, 2011, 06:10:57 pm »

Here's a game I played recently (http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110726-100253-c5d43622.html).  I jumped out to an early lead by clogging up my opponent's deck with 2x ambassador and quickly accelerated into Grand Markets thanks to some quarries.  Unfortunately, she picked up a potion and started picking up possessions.  I figure to just race her - she can't play possession that frequently and I can gunk up her deck with ambassadored junk.  Unfortunately, that was not to be the case. 

First possession, she ambassadors herself a plat and buys a colony (thankfully not sending my plat back). 
Second possession, she ambassadors herself a colony and sends two of mine back (ouch!). I go from 4-3 in her favor (with me having a shot at colony + dutchy for the win) to 5-1 in her favor.  No chance to catch up.   

So the question I have is this: In an ambassador game with possession (and no trashing), do you ignore the ambassadors?  Do you deliberately gunk up your deck with green early? 

I think I made my deck too efficient - she bought green with my deck, and simply continued to possess my deck while buying small green herself.  Maybe I should have just gone possession myself and raced her in greening my deck.  Suggestions?

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with a Possession + Ambassador game?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 06:44:39 pm »

Pray that Gardens are out too.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:58:13 pm »

I think it's a super hard decision, and I haven't found a great way to handle it.  But you could switch to possession as well, and also ambassador your ambassador away (so you are less likely to be hit by, and more likely to convert).

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:02:37 pm »

If you have a strong early lead and she has a brutal late-game card like that, you might try going for Provinces instead of Colonies -- win while you're ahead, before she can do a lot of damage to you with her Possessions.  As rrenaud says, getting rid of your Ambassadors is a good idea once you've done your early-game damage.

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:19:05 pm »

So the question I have is this: In an ambassador game with possession (and no trashing), do you ignore the ambassadors?  Do you deliberately gunk up your deck with green early? 

I wouldn't ignore Ambassadors and I wouldn't gunk up my deck hard unless I felt I could end the game.

I'd aim to get a sizable, but not deck-crippling lead. Making sure I only have one Ambassador in my entire deck and that my opponent has as many as possible after the early-game. Getting as many Possessions of my own as I can (hoping to Ambassador away my opponent's Possessions/green as a top priority). Looking for any opportunity to end the game.

Don't forget to keep fancy little tricks in mind like not necessarily returning your opponent's Estates, Duchies & even Provinces under the right conditions to the supply in an effort to end the game while you still have the lead.

Like I said in the other Possession thread though. In matches between equally skilled players involving high variance power cards, one should expect and get used to being in coin flip situations.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.