Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Who am I? Why am I here?  (Read 13969 times)

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Who am I? Why am I here?
« on: June 15, 2011, 05:05:22 pm »

Hello, all.  I didn't see an introduction thread, so I thought I'd start one.  I just thought it'd be nice to have a space to say as much or as little (but not too much ;)) about ourselves as we'd like.  Maybe who we are, how long we've been playing Dominion, what we do, and what other stuff we like, etc. 

I'll start.  Axe Knight is both my forum name and my isotropic name, derived from the old Enix game, Dragon Warrior.  I've been playing Dominion for about a year now.   I also like too many other things to list here, but mainly music (both playing my piano and listening), and photography.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:59:44 pm by Axe Knight »
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Who am I? Why am I here?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 06:57:35 pm »

Hello. Jack Rudd is my name on here, on BoardGameGeek, on Isotropic and on various other places.

I sometimes claim to be a professional chess player, for given values of "professional".
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:35:50 pm »

Things my friends have called me:

Board Game Geek (speaks for itself)
Band Geek (piano and trumpet)
Crazy Runner (cross country and track)
Mad Scientist (chemistry major)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:06:13 am »

Hello. Jack Rudd is my name on here, on BoardGameGeek, on Isotropic and on various other places.

I sometimes claim to be a professional chess player, for given values of "professional".

This intrigues me, because, as far as I know (and I know several titled players), there are maybe several dozen professional players in the world, and less than 20 (probably closer to 10) in the Americas. I'm guessing that our definition differ not so much of "professional" but more on "chess PLYAER" as opposed to what I call chess professionals - people who probably play for some money but more write and, especially, teach.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:53:46 pm »

This intrigues me, because, as far as I know (and I know several titled players), there are maybe several dozen professional players in the world, and less than 20 (probably closer to 10) in the Americas. I'm guessing that our definition differ not so much of "professional" but more on "chess PLYAER" as opposed to what I call chess professionals - people who probably play for some money but more write and, especially, teach.

"Several dozen" is quite a way wide of the mark - when the person ranked 1802 in the world can make a living almost entirely as a player, there are probably several hundred such players.

(Having said that, I'm not actually good enough to do so yet. Watch this space.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:55:20 pm by Jack Rudd »
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 01:06:26 pm »

He can make a living

"Several dozen" is quite a way wide of the mark - when the person ranked 1802 in the world can make a living almost entirely as a player, there are probably several hundred such players.

(Having said that, I'm not actually good enough to do so yet. Watch this space.)

He can make a living almost entirely as a player!? (That said, key word is "almost"). And he's a grandmaster, which helps. I'm sure many of the lower-titled, higher-rated players would have much more difficulty than him, and there aren't THAT many grandmasters. Further, U.K. is one of the better places for a player to be a pro player. By several dozen, I'm envisioning ~60 to ~150. I'm also talking how many players DO make a living solely as players, rather than COULD. So like Carlsen is not a full-time player, even at #2 in the world, due to his modelling. Obviously he could be a full-time player. I guess it wouldn't be unreasonable to call him a pro player, and probably he should count, but somebody like Kaidanov is clearly NOT a pro player, though he's a chess professional. Same goes for every U.S. player except Nakamura, Akobian (both of these actually also coach an extremely limited number of players, so under some definitions, even they wouldn't count) and Kamsky, as far as I know. Of course, it's much better in Europe, but I don't think THAT much better. Certainly fewer than 1800 are out there.
And I find it quite unlikely that a Grandmaster would be on this site - by sheer unprobability, I doubt you are one. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »

He can make a living almost entirely as a player!? (That said, key word is "almost"). And he's a grandmaster, which helps.
He does a bit of coaching, but it's very much a sideline - the vast majority of his income comes from playing in tournaments.

Of course, it's much better in Europe, but I don't think THAT much better.
I think you'd be surprised. England has a thriving international scene, and it's not the best European country for chess by a long way.

And I find it quite unlikely that a Grandmaster would be on this site - by sheer unprobability, I doubt you are one. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
True. I am a mere International Master.

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:40:28 pm »

He can make a living almost entirely as a player!? (That said, key word is "almost"). And he's a grandmaster, which helps.
He does a bit of coaching, but it's very much a sideline - the vast majority of his income comes from playing in tournaments.

Of course, it's much better in Europe, but I don't think THAT much better.
I think you'd be surprised. England has a thriving international scene, and it's not the best European country for chess by a long way.

True. I am a mere International Master.

The only thing that really surprises me there is that you're an IM. I'm impressed, sir.

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:12:09 pm »

I am probably the least math savvy person on these boards - I'm a former English/Theatre major in the process of applying for PhD programs in Literatiure. I was taking a year to make sure it was what I really wanted to do and now I'm going to try to leap into full time academia. I might end up taking another year though - right now I work in an awesome coffee shop and spend my off-time dancing, playing music in bars, and playing dominion. I also love super-complex fantasy flight games, when I can find people to play them with me.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

JokerDoom

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 02:15:26 pm »

It is cool to see that there are chess players that play dominion as well. I am a mere 1800 and have been out of chess for about a year but still love the game a ton and hope to be inspired to put more work into it soon. About me:

-programmer
-loves strategy games
-loves video games
-loves cats

RichyRich

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:47:43 pm »

-loves cats

I know the perfect person for you :) -->

I have a habit of becoming wrapped up in something if I am interested in it (as of recently, Dominion). Right now I'm at college and studying Japanese and Quant. Econ. Love reading fantasy/manga in my free time, as well as breakdancing.

My name RichyRich is comes from a former username, RichyRitz, which itself is a derivative of the name I used in competitive super smash bros. melee, Ritz.
Good luck and have fun :D

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:26:57 pm »

Things my friends have called me:

Board Game Geek (speaks for itself)
Band Geek (piano and trumpet)
Crazy Runner (cross country and track)
Mad Scientist (chemistry major)

Funny, my friends have all called me those things at some point!   ;D

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »

I am probably the least math savvy person on these boards - I'm a former English/Theatre major in the process of applying for PhD programs in Literatiure. I was taking a year to make sure it was what I really wanted to do and now I'm going to try to leap into full time academia. I might end up taking another year though - right now I work in an awesome coffee shop and spend my off-time dancing, playing music in bars, and playing dominion. I also love super-complex fantasy flight games, when I can find people to play them with me.

A friend of mine brought Runewars to a game group meeting one night.  Looked interesting, but unfortunately he decided to wait until 11PM...

PetterTB

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 04:25:02 pm »

Hi

I'm a 21 year old norwegian, studying math/physics, playing boardgames and RPGs :)

I'm impressed by you chessplayers here! I played a little (in what I think in america translates to junior high /high school) but weren't very good at it, ended up at 900 in rating or smth :) WOW to you guys!

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 06:33:07 pm »

Well, here's about me:

1) 14 years old
2) Addicted to dominion
3) am aspiring to be a software engineer
4) Memorized 142 digits of pi (in order :) )

(Kind of a nerd, if you hadn't noticed)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:30:16 pm by Graystripe77 »

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 08:20:10 pm »

Hello, my name is Karlis.

I'm 21, from Latvia, studying math. I got tibia fracture month ago while running half-marathon, so i have had some free time for dominion recently. I used to play chess, but then i eventually moved to bridge.

Future aspirations: getting lvl 40+ on isotropic.

I never say gl, and very rarely say gg. I hate to lose when i think i have played better, beware.

Add me on facebook:Karlis Olte.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

Raine

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 07:34:40 am »

Whats up everybody.

I'm John; I live in Baltimore and am a construction engineer.  I am probably dumber than most people on Iso.  I try to be friendly and I play almost any sport you can think of other than rugby.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 04:08:05 pm »

Halo! my name is Caron

I like bunnies, butterflies and flowers  :P

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:31 pm »

Ok I just noticed this thread lol. I'm ^_^_^_^ and my name is Dan. I'm slightly addicted to the computer and some board games. I am kinda shy in real life in front of anyone that I don't know pretty well. I like the video games Star Craft and Tribal Trouble. I think dominion is the best card game I've played for sure and probably better than some board games too. I read a lot and have been called many nick names by my friends:

DKL(My initials) DKL jr. DKL2 The Second DKL etc. (I have a brother with the same initials)
Chess Geek
Singer
Geek with no friends(I'm in 4-H and in Boy Scouting I got friends ;))
Home Work noob(Called this by another video game lover. I wasn't doing my home work for 4 straight years all without getting any grade below a D+)
Fatty(I was fat for a few years, then I grew taller and skinnier than them ^_^_^_^)
Stalker(I have stalker eyes =/)

edit: Arya your isotropic username link should be edited to remove the (duh) as that screws up the link.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 04:31:44 am »

My name is Thisisnotasmile (TINAS for short). I live in the UK and stuff. I don't have a huge list of insulting names that you can call me...

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 08:38:57 am »

My Isotropic name is Young Nick and my Board Game Geek name is toughjuicepech0.
My real life name is not Nick and I do not consider myself particularly young, though at 18, I am younger than most on Isotropic.
I often will get very competitive on Isotropic, asking for rematches until I win at least 1 (hopefully I win the whole mini-series, but I'll settle for 1 win).

Credit goes to anyone who can find out the meaning of my two usernames and how they are related.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 09:34:40 am »

My iso name is Superdad. I've been a nuclear thermohydraulics engineer for about 7 years now. I do lots of anaylsis/stats/simulations at work, and that translates into my hobbies. My wife thought I was nuts when I calculated the probabilities of various opening rolls in Monopoly so that I could optimize my buys accordingly (which didn't really do anything, since it's generally smart to just buy anything you land on! haha). That says more about me than anything... I like to understand something, even if there's no point in understanding it!

Any game I play, I usually run spreadsheets of statistics to analyze openings/probabilities and optimize my play accordingly. I don't really *just do* anything. If I do it, I usually go all out - although that's harder with kids now!

I love to discuss strategy and open up both sides of a conversation, just to explore it. This drives my wife nuts, and possibly people on these forums also, so I apologize for that if it happens. I just like to analyze something to death.

I really like to quantify everything (nature of my work I guess), so as soon as I see someone posting a "solution" that is completely unquantified (i.e. such as "Horse Trader/Grand Market beats Potion/Silver/Familiar openings), that sets off alarm bells, and I'll either simulate, calculate or attempt to quantify it in some way in order to stop any possible misinformation or snap-judgements that could lead to inaccurate group-think.

I'm also usually too wordy... as I prove in this post!

Glad to meet you all.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:37:48 am by Superdad »

play2draw

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 05:45:31 pm »

Howdy! I'm just an aggregation of cells. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

My education background is in economics. I enjoy seeing things clearly and reasonably. As such, I've taken the test for Law School and scored very adequately. I'm deferring my start of law school until a future year, for I don't feel quite like burying myself beneath a mound of debt while I am still uncertain as to whether I want to be a lawyer or if I'd rather use my time to move toward a degree in programming or some sort of applied mathematics (both of which I have little background in, but I enjoy a good challenge).

Regardless, I would assume that my interest in Dominion is at least somewhat related to my interest in the formal logic.

ShuffleNCut

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 06:46:12 am »

I used to play MTG and was a high ranking Limited player and went to a bunch of events (State Champ, on the Pro Tour, won some cash tournaments)

Once I tired of dumping money into that I played poker online for a couple years.  I was just getting to the point where I hired a coach and was beating some low stakes games for a small amount when Full Tilt, Poker Stars, and Absolute got ousted from the USA.

Now poker is on hiatus until I am reasonably sure that the US market is stable for a few months (or get bored outta my mind and reinvest in something shady) so I am playing Dominion online.

I have spent MANY MANY MANY hours of my life in the pursuit of mastering various games (MMOs, card games, board games, you name it).

As far as work and education...  I have a degree and a bunch of Cisco certs and I work in IT.  How exciting.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 10:53:02 pm »
+2

Yeah, this thread is really old, I know. But it should probably get moved to the introductions section now...
Man I'm weird and spend way too much time on the boards.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.