Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Durations and cleanup  (Read 2080 times)

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Durations and cleanup
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:35:48 pm »

I noticed in the guide to fan card creation the comment that a new card type is not needed for "permanent" effects, as Duration cards can be designed to stay out indefinitely and do something each turn.

My question is... how do you know? Or rather - for cards that don't stay out - all the standard e.g. "now and at the beginning of your next turn: +X, +Y" cards - what causes them to be cleaned up on the next turn? Is it just directly implied by the listing of benefits - i.e. it has to "do something" on a given turn to stay out? That seems... kinda vague.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Durations and cleanup
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:40:02 pm »

From the Seaside rulebook:

A Duration card does something after your turn. Leave the card in front of you until the Clean-up Phase of the last turn in which it does something (discard it before drawing for the following turn).

You play a Duration card on turn X.  Now (turn X) and at the beginning of your next turn (X+1), you get some benefit.  Then, it does nothing else, so you clean it up in that clean-up phase.

If a Duration card gives a benefit on every turn, it would continue to stay out.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »
+1

Yep. Also check out my FAQ, that explains that and gives sourced examples of what that means in practice: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Complete_and_All-Encompassing_Dominion_FAQ

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 04:16:25 am »

Yep. Also check out my FAQ, that explains that and gives sourced examples of what that means in practice: http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Complete_and_All-Encompassing_Dominion_FAQ
That's an impressively thorough document that I haven't seen before.  Good job!

UltimaPenguin

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:24:32 pm »
+1

One extra caveat that I've seen come up on a fan card or two:

Be careful with text like "While this in play X". By convention, this indicates an effect that doesn't happen as a result of the card being played, so the duration cleanup rule doesn't come into play.

For example, lighthouse still gets cleaned up after your next turn, even though it would continue to provide protection benefits as long as it stays out. If lighthouse didn't give the +coin at the start of your next turn, it would get cleaned up at the first opportunity just like a non-duration card (of course making it completely pointless)

What this means is that if you want a permanent duration with only a passive effect like that, you should include some kind of extra wording or mechanism to keep it in play.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 11:53:29 pm »

You could remove the Island mat and turn the card into a Duration something like Haven, but specifying that it's never cleaned up until the end of the game. So as long as something on the card says "Do not discard this from play until X", it can stay out as long as it needs to.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.618 seconds with 21 queries.