Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Blooki's Puzzle #2 - Confused Swindler  (Read 2394 times)

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Blooki's Puzzle #2 - Confused Swindler
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »

This one should be much easier and less laborious than the other one.

It is our Hero's 3rd turn in what's shaping up to be an interesting 3-player Dominion game in which no players have bought the the same card. Eager to fill her opponents' decks with rubbish in this Moat-less and Lighthouse-less kingdom set, our Hero plays a Swindler only to discover that while neither player neither opponent gains a card from her Swindler! How can this be?

Note: I'm interpreting a revealed Watchtower as a successful gain followed by a successful trash or topdeck. You are welcome to use Watchtower in your solution, but it will not successfully prevent our Hero's opponents from gaining cards.

ElyV already got the solution I was looking for (Minion and Vault are alternatives to Council Room).

I actually really like timchen's Mint solution so much that I'm going to enhance the original puzzle to reflect it. I hope that's alright with you

For all intents and purposes, you have solved this puzzle. Good job you guys! I'm making these modifications for future readers who would like to try.

Here is the full solution:
Turn 1
P1 - Buys Black Market.
P2 - Buys Council Room.
Hero - Buys Swindler.
Turn 2
All players do nothing.
Turn 3
P1 - Buys $4 card off of Black Market
P2 - Plays Council Room, buys Mint, trashes 7 Coppers.
Hero - Plays Swindler.

P1 has no draw deck, reshuffles & reveals her Turn 3 purchase. There are no $4 cards in the kingdom. P2 has only 5 cards in his deck and they are all in his hand.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:29:07 pm by Blooki »

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
Re: Blooki's Puzzle #2 - Confused Swindler
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34:20 pm »

because he/she reveals an watchtower?

Seriously, still thinking.

Or this?
That guy opened chapel-mint. And he reduced his deck to less than 5 cards in his third turn.

I was trying to come up with something that involves the moat player, so that having a moat becomes a constraint. Haven't found anything along that line though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:54:05 pm by timchen »

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:55:43 pm »

moat guy goes first, you go last. Moat guy opens moat/council room, playing council room on turn 3. Player 2 opens village/black market. On his turn 3, he plays village, then BM, and buys a 4 from the BM. He draws the 5 cards remaining, and the 4 ends up on top. Luckily for him, there are no 4s in our game, so it just goes away when you swindle.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »

moat guy goes first, you go last. Moat guy opens moat/council room, playing council room on turn 3. Player 2 opens village/black market. On his turn 3, he plays village, then BM, and buys a 4 from the BM. He draws the 5 cards remaining, and the 4 ends up on top. Luckily for him, there are no 4s in our game, so it just goes away when you swindle.

Ah, nice.  I was trying to get Black Market to work too, but I couldn't figure out how to get the Black Market purchase on top of the deck when the Swindler is played.

I suppose the Village purchase (which can really be any cantrip costing 2 or 3) is unnecessary.  Player 2 can simply have opened Black Market/-, right?

Elyv

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »

Ah, nice.  I was trying to get Black Market to work too, but I couldn't figure out how to get the Black Market purchase on top of the deck when the Swindler is played.

I suppose the Village purchase (which can really be any cantrip costing 2 or 3) is unnecessary.  Player 2 can simply have opened Black Market/-, right?
I didn't think of it, but you're right. Also, it actually doesn't matter which order the other two players go in, as long as they both go before you.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 05:58:36 pm »

Isn't it simpler for one player to have a moat in hand and the other player to use a lighthouse on their turn (earlier in round 3)?

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 06:15:24 pm »

Isn't it simpler for one player to have a moat in hand and the other player to use a lighthouse on their turn (earlier in round 3)?

Haha, whoops. Reworded.

Elyv

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 04:46:16 pm »

I just realized this is actually possible in a 2 player game. Your opponent, going first, opens (shanty town/Wishing Well) + Black Market.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.