Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dark age predictions, day 3  (Read 3690 times)

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Dark age predictions, day 3
« on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:42 am »

You know the rules of the game. Try not to look at other people's guesses before you guess how valuable the cards are. If it's for another day's cards do it in that thread.

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Re: Dark age predictions, day 3
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:26:36 am »

squire ordinarily a nice, boring, utility card. Fine in engines as a source of +buy/actions good in disappearing engines. Will probably be used for +actions most of time, the silver is just there for when you can't use the earlier options but, still, it's nice. Probably a good medium strength 2. Approximately as good as Crossroads. With good trashing AND a good attack you can wait for it becomes very strong. Goons loves it, Familiar will love to be gained by it etc... probably too slow for witch/hag a lot of the time. Combo's well with things like gravedigger whichever there will be in the city.
Hermit, outside of Madman, a pretty mediocre card. However it does act as a reasonable light terminal trasher/gainer, not strong in either aspect but capable of trashing and getting cheap engine components. Will be killer with mega-turn decks, absolutely awfully, killer because madman is the best card (well, maybe possession) ignoring cost in the game right now. Will be hard to play properly but, when done, will be beyond ridiculous. And definitely will need some form of +buy/strong pseudo for it to be worthwhile but when it's good it will be SO good.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:27:53 am »
+5

Do we really need a new thread like this for every preview?  I thought the point of the game was just to see how wrong we were in the future.  In that case, it is much easier to keep all the predictions together, which is why I am continuing to edit my post in the first thread.  Actual discussion would be better in the specific Preview thread. 

Making a new prediction game thread for every preview seems excessive.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:35:09 am »
+2

Yeah, please edit your post in the original thread. It gets confusing otherwise.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »

Squire is good. On a BM board, it acts as a weaker JoaT. It is a good opener on a 5/2 split for BM. Or, even going silver/Squire sounds good because you will be filling your deck with Silver, and although it doesn't trash those estates like JoaT, it does provide +$1 on top of gaining a silver. Also, the +Buy can come in handy late game with BM.

Sometimes, you will even want to open 2/2 on a 5/2 split if Chapel and Goons are on the board!!!

On boards with a trasher and good attacks like Witch, Mountebank, Goons, Familiar, etc, Squire is great

Also, Squire is great in engine boards, it becomes a FV w/out the duration effect, but also the option of 2 +Buys!!! And, let's face it, FV is way, way under-costed at $3, should probably be $4 or even $5.

Consesus: Squire is a good card to buy on almost most boards.

Hermit: Hmm, now this is interesting. It trashes cards and gains more Hermits which can gain you more Madman. Its effect is interesting. On boards with lots of ruins or cursing, this is good because you gain silver and get junk out of your deck. Also, it can be a good card for triggering other TFB cards like Squire while gaining another Squire!!! Wait, a sec, trash squire, get goons, gain another squire. Hmm, seems nice.

Consensus: Pretty good. Will require some testing. On some boards, Hermit/Madman will be a powerhouse engine enabler.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 12:22:32 pm by Beyond Awesome »

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:19:31 pm »
+1

Yeah, I'm keeping all of mine together in one post in my own thread :)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:18:10 pm »
+2

Let us all stop making these threads.

Go here and post instead: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3819.0

:D

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 09:13:01 pm »
+2

I am for only one thread.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 11:44:10 pm »

Hermit/Madman: Looks very good. I'd probably purchase it after the first reshuffle or to open. That way the Madman comes up late enough in the game to be useful, but not too late. This card loves Tactician: Play the Hermit before (via +actions, I suppose) and then buy nothing after you discard your hand. Profit in the future with your +9 cards , +2 actions at the start of your Tactician turn after playing Hermit.
I do fear that you have to sacrifice a lot by not buying anything to get the Madman.

Squire seems good, but board-dependent. In a game with trashing and attacks? You need this card. If it is missing one or both of the above, it is still useful as an engine piece. To start off, the actions make it a decent village. Later when your engine is purring, use it for the +buys. It seems like a useful, albeit not shockingly good card. I'd say it's a better $2, but still not as good as Chapel and Lighthouse, at least. I don't remember the other good $2's off of the top of my head, but it's probably better than Hamlet, while serving a very similar role.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:57 pm »

I do fear that you have to sacrifice a lot by not buying anything to get the Madman.

I dunno, think about it in terms of "if you could buy a Madman, would you have been willing to pay that much for him?"
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.