Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cost This Card #1- Jack's Court  (Read 3739 times)

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Cost This Card #1- Jack's Court
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:34:40 pm »

[Jack's Court]

Choose an action card from your hand. Play it thrice. Trash this card

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Cost This Card #1- Jack's Court
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:47:21 pm »

$5?

$4 or less seems bad. You wouldn't want it being used with say Ambassador, Swindler, Sea Hag, Young Witch or even Feast. $7 is silly for obvious reasons.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:49:44 pm »

At one point, I was thinking up cards for a possible Shakespeare-themed fan expansion, and I came up with a very similar idea:

Elsinore
$5
You may choose an Action from your hand and play it thrice.  At the end of your turn, trash all Action cards in play except for Elsinore.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 01:52:59 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 01:55:25 pm »

I imagine it would be broken with universities priced 5 and simply not worth it priced 6.

Blooki

• Bishop
  • I am constantly overmeditated...
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:04 pm »

At one point, I was thinking up cards for a possible Shakespeare-themed fan expansion, and I came up with a very similar idea:

Elsinore
$5
You may choose an Action from your hand and play it thrice.  At the end of your turn, trash all Action cards in play except for Elsinore.

This is just asking for Golem rage.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:45 pm »

I imagine it would be broken with universities priced 5 and simply not worth it priced 6.

So, we should give it a potion cost?

$2P I'd say.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:49:46 pm »

Make it a tournament prize. It'll be somewhat better than diadem/bag of gold, somewhat worse than followers/trusty steed. Being allowed a single one means you can't stack it, which is the main danger of having a cheap KC.

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:25:56 pm »

I'd say that Jack's Court is weak for a tournament prize -- much weaker than Bag of Gold. You'd get it late in the game, and there's a chance you could never successfully use it.

As a prize, I might suggest: +3 cards. You may play an action from your hand three times. If you do, trash this card.

Makes it more likely that you can play it with something (if you draw the card you want), and if you don't, at least it's a Smithy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 04:25:39 am »

I'd say it is somewhere between 5 and 6, maybe closer to 5 than 6.
Potion is sort of like a Silver and a half, so I'd price it at $3P.

I feel that this card may be a bit redundant with TR and KC out there, it's also a bit hard to price because it's a one-shot.
It may be superb when you draw it with Wharf and not so good when you draw it with Pawn. Then you have to decide whether you want to spend this card on a mediocre action or wait an entire shuffle for something better to draw with it.
Other one-shots like Feast, Embargo and Treasure Map have the same results every time you play them.

I'd give it a twist to remove the one-shot aspect, for example:

You may discard up to (2? 3? 4?) cards from your hand. If you have discarded any cards this way, you must choose an action card from your hand and play it as many times as the number of discarded cards or reveal a hand with no action cards.

This way, it still presents a choice to players, but they have to pay more for better effects, it also works as a voluntary discarder if someone wanted to play a Library.

You could also let the number of times you may play an action card depend on the number of empty piles, like City.
E.g.: You may choose an action card in your hand an play it twice. If there is one empty pile, you may choose another action card from your hand and play it; or if there are two empty piles, you may choose another action card from your hand and play it twice.

Keep in mind that both are just examples, but I'd be fun to provide some variable way to supercharge your cards, other than another fixed one-shotter, but that is just my opinion. I won't intrude on your idea further.  8)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 06:43:23 am »

I'd say that Jack's Court is weak for a tournament prize -- much weaker than Bag of Gold. You'd get it late in the game, and there's a chance you could never successfully use it.

As a prize, I might suggest: +3 cards. You may play an action from your hand three times. If you do, trash this card.

Makes it more likely that you can play it with something (if you draw the card you want), and if you don't, at least it's a Smithy.

The one advantage of it is that you get to control when you get it. Given that the other player reveals or doesn't his province, you will know whether this card will go straight into your hand, or into your next hand. This means that while JC might not be the first prize you pick up, it can come very handy if you get e.g. mountebank, tournament, province in your hand. It feels better than bag of gold, at least for some decks, because additional golds could gum up draw engines and bag of gold doesn't get you use that gold immediately. And if you get it late in the game, you won't be able to play it very often either.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:46:11 am by Fangz »

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »

... $7 is silly for obvious reasons.

Is it obvious? One mice thing about Dominion is that not all the cards are available all the time. Hence, making (almost) strictly worse cards (i.e. by costing Jack's Court at $7) is not unreasonable.

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:20:14 pm »

not unreasonable, but will not happen in practice. The reason might be more from the moral side instead of the game-play side. That aside, I think this card would make a good $5. Note this card is quite a bit more swingy than the original KC. If you draw it with a lack-luster action, whether should you play it? (say, even a market?) If not it is another dead card in hand. The only consistent play I see for this card is to get it only when you can control your draw. I.e., you can draw your whole deck, or you have enough minions. In that situation, the price of the card probably does not matter that much. It is better to be cheaper for some earlier adventurous play.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »

Note this card is quite a bit more swingy than the original KC.
Which is like the swingiest card in the game...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.