Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #3: Squire, Hermit, Madman  (Read 138014 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #3: Squire, Hermit, Madman
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2012, 07:15:48 pm »
+1

But hermit is also going to be a passable workshop variant in engines with cheap cards. Gain a village, trash an estate is huge even before you decide whether or not you want to trade it for a madman.

Workshop has gotten a boost from Poor House, Squire, Hermit and Sage.

EDIT: Which reminds me - wouldn't it be ridiculous to Workshop a Feast?

Hard Mode: Hermit a workshop, workshop a feast, feast a graverobber, grave rob a Gold from the trash.

Or... Graverob the Feast - rinse and repeat.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2012, 07:15:51 pm »

I know it's not even that close, but every time someone writes "Madman" I see "Mandarin" and I have NO IDEA WHY.
Did you konw taht the fsirt and lsat ltetres of a wrod are the msot intmrpoat in demtierinng its inditety and in trun its mnenaig?
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:44 pm »

Note Hermit (paraphrase) says "Trash me.  Gain a Madman."  This is similar to Feast, which is why it can be TR/KC'd.  If it said "Trash me.  IF YOU DO, gain a Madman," then the Scheme trick wouldn't work.

I do not think you are saying this, but it's worth mentioning so other readers won't be confused -- TR/KC-Hermit can't get you multiple Madmen because that part of the card says, "When you discard this from play."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2012, 07:16:56 pm »
+2

I know it's not even that close, but every time someone writes "Madman" I see "Mandarin" and I have NO IDEA WHY.
Did you konw taht the fsirt and lsat ltetres of a wrod are the msot intmrpoat in demtierinng its inditety and in trun its mnenaig?

Stop that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2012, 07:17:32 pm »

nveer
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2012, 07:18:07 pm »
+1

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2012, 07:18:46 pm »

now you sapek my lgagunae.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2012, 07:20:20 pm »
+1

Ich kann nur ein bisschen Deustch sprechen.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »

Ich kann nur ein bisschen Deustch sprechen.

Halt!

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 08, 2012, 07:56:08 pm »
+7

I've confused Mint and Mint in real life games with the actual cards.

Umm... are you sure you don't mean Mine and Mine?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 08, 2012, 08:19:50 pm »

Umm... are you sure you don't mean Mine and Mine?
He means Mnie and Mnit

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #186 on: August 08, 2012, 08:23:14 pm »
+1

Untrue.  This is only true for very short words.  Try deciphering this, from Wikipedia:

"Anidroccg to crad–cniyrrag lcitsiugnis planoissefors at an uemannd utisreviny in Bsitirh Cibmuloa, and crartnoy to the duoibus cmials of the ueticnd rcraeseh, a slpmie, macinahcel ioisrevnn of ianretnl cretcarahs araepps sneiciffut to csufnoe the eadyrevy oekoolnr."

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 08, 2012, 08:33:04 pm »
+1

Untrue.  This is only true for very short words.  Try deciphering this, from Wikipedia:

"Anidroccg to crad–cniyrrag lcitsiugnis planoissefors at an uemannd utisreviny in Bsitirh Cibmuloa, and crartnoy to the duoibus cmials of the ueticnd rcraeseh, a slpmie, macinahcel ioisrevnn of ianretnl cretcarahs araepps sneiciffut to csufnoe the eadyrevy oekoolnr."

According to card-carrying linguistics professionals at an unnamed university in British Columbia, and contrary to the dubious claims of the uncited research, a simple, mechanical inversion of internal characters appears sufficient to confuse the everyday onlooker.

Was a challenge, but I did it without looking at anything else.  :)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #188 on: August 08, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »
+1

Guys, do you think Hermit/Hamlet is going to be the new Mine/Mint or Treasury/Tribute? Or are we saved by the cost difference?

Given that soon this will no longer be on iso, we'll be going by the picture, and not be almost-homophonic names, so I doubt even Mine/Mint will continue to be a problem.  Have you any of you confused Mine with Mint on Goko?

I've confused Mint and Mint in real life games with the actual cards.

I have multiple times confused Scrying Pool with Apothecary in real life games. Not because their names are similar, but because their pictures and effects are somewhat similar. Now guess who felt silly opening Potion / Chapel, trashing a bunch of Coppers on turn 3 to find out that the only potion card was Apothecary.

EDIT: punctuation.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:03:03 pm by Schneau »

shMerker

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 08, 2012, 09:44:49 pm »

I neevr siad taht tehy wree olny intromapt lteetrs for chensomperion.

Anyway I'm just saying it's not that surprising that ManDariN and MaDmaN are easy words to confuse in the context of this forum.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:47:39 pm by shMerker »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 08, 2012, 09:46:14 pm »

I like Madman's art, but I was hoping for something more simplistic, e.g.,

(Come on, please don't tell me I'm the only one who thought of that upon seeing Madman.)

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 08, 2012, 10:52:47 pm »
+2

Hermit is a card that will be much more powerful in the context of Dark Ages than in every-card Dominion. The reason being, targeted trashing. Trashing without decreasing your hand size is cool, and will be a decent use of the card outside of Dark Ages (I've decided "low-impact trashing" is a thing). But, when you're trying to hunt down and kill that one On-Trash card in your deck, Hermit can see over half your deck on average. This gives much better odds of being able to hit your target than, say, Remodel which can only target one of the other four cards in your hand.

In short, Hermit is not a actually a trasher. It is a guided missile for On-Trash abilities. This and Madman should be considered its primary purpose in life.

(This seems kinda obvious in retrospect, but I didn't notice anyone else explicitly mention it. Apologies if you're invisible.)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 08, 2012, 10:59:08 pm »
+1

Hermit will always be the old man digging through my trash. 

http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=181

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 08, 2012, 11:46:36 pm »

Hermit is a card that will be much more powerful in the context of Dark Ages than in every-card Dominion. The reason being, targeted trashing. Trashing without decreasing your hand size is cool, and will be a decent use of the card outside of Dark Ages (I've decided "low-impact trashing" is a thing). But, when you're trying to hunt down and kill that one On-Trash card in your deck, Hermit can see over half your deck on average. This gives much better odds of being able to hit your target than, say, Remodel which can only target one of the other four cards in your hand.

In short, Hermit is not a actually a trasher. It is a guided missile for On-Trash abilities. This and Madman should be considered its primary purpose in life.

(This seems kinda obvious in retrospect, but I didn't notice anyone else explicitly mention it. Apologies if you're invisible.)

I kind of mention it in my first post.  I said it looked like a spectacular combo-enabler for the set, picking out cards for on-trash benefit.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2012, 01:26:38 am »

Madman- strongest card in the game.
Or a big trap.

How? At worst it's a non-drawing village and of you activate it its power becomes awesome.

Which you can only get by not buying something on a turn. (just realized that you could have more than one hermit in hand when not buying and thus get more than one madman and only miss one buy)  Even so, they're only used once then you have to return to the supply. 

ETA:  All I'm saying is that it's a potential trap.  I think it's too early to tell.  At least for those of us not named Donald.
It seems to me that with the gimped workshop aspect of hermit (gain a card costing up to 3), while you may not get all of your utility out of the turn, there certainly seem to be a lot of cards in DA that are worth getting costing <=3.
(sorry, this post was a ways back, but I thought I should read through before saying something)

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 09, 2012, 01:39:39 am »

All the combos in this set are making my head hurt :(

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 09, 2012, 02:29:01 am »

All the combos in this set are making my head hurt :(

Same here. Too much to think about.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 09, 2012, 03:24:19 am »
+2

Yeah it occured to me in a moment of fridge brilliance that the discard-filtering-trasher wasn't just a cute new ability but as you say a guided missile for on-trash abilities. Also combos with chancellor! Hooray, I love things that make my favourite under achievers better.

We've seen only 9 cards so far and we've all already exploded with combo-tastic ideas. This is indeed the Johnny expansion. I'm glad I didn't see all of these cards at once, it would have been too much to handle.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2012, 03:32:56 am »

Yeah it occured to me in a moment of fridge brilliance that the discard-filtering-trasher wasn't just a cute new ability but as you say a guided missile for on-trash abilities.
Oh man, that hadn't even hit me yet.  Spot on, sirs!  Now I really want to play with Hermit and any/all on-trash Dark Ages cards.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2012, 07:02:18 am »
+1

Yeah it occured to me in a moment of fridge brilliance that the discard-filtering-trasher wasn't just a cute new ability but as you say a guided missile for on-trash abilities. Also combos with chancellor! Hooray, I love things that make my favourite under achievers better.

The Chancellor combo definitely makes my day.  Flip your deck, trash what you want.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.