Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28  All

Author Topic: Dear My Opponent: I am Sorry  (Read 326961 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Dear My Opponent: I am Sorry
« Reply #425 on: April 20, 2014, 11:22:40 am »
+5

In this game, my opponent got possibly the most brutal Swindler luck I have ever seen.
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140420/log.5066a4d70cf20e086dc89e71.1398006772445.txt

It starts bad: he gets 5/2 (opens Apprentice/Lighthouse, which imo is a bit questionable with shelters) and I get 4/3 (open Swindler/Swindler, which in hindsight is probably a bit overaggressive given that Lighthouse is present).

It gets worse: his Apprentice misses the shuffle.

It gets awful: On T4, my Swindler play hits his Apprentice, turning it into a Duchy. (At this point, he's incredibly far behind.)

Game over: On T6, he buys a replacement Apprentice, and on the next turn (my T7), my Swindler hits it and turns it into a Duchy.

Keep in mind that through all of this, not only are my Swindlers hitting the best possible target, but they're also dodging his Lighthouses.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 26, 2014, 07:40:42 pm »
+9

Dear yed,

I'm sorry. I really am.
I don't even know what to say about this game. The worst of it was that it wasn't clear at all where it would go or who would win, so resigning wasn't really an option. It got so silly there should be a couple of memes in there, but I haven't figured them out yet.

yed   plays Ambassador
yed   reveals Copper
yed   returns Copper to the Supply
yed   returns Copper to the Supply

This was turn 25. The crazy part? It was me, possessing yed, robbing him of his coppers.
Join the Dominion League!

dsc

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
    • less.ly
« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2014, 10:04:29 am »

stef! if this thread exists for schadenfreude (and auto-schadenfreude, because really, we all do it to ourselves), there is no way for us to partake in the collective pain without a log!

...okay, really what i'm saying is that this sounds awesomely ridiculously terrible, and i'm encouraging you to follow up. :)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #428 on: May 01, 2014, 11:29:21 am »

stef! if this thread exists for schadenfreude (and auto-schadenfreude, because really, we all do it to ourselves), there is no way for us to partake in the collective pain without a log!

...okay, really what i'm saying is that this sounds awesomely ridiculously terrible, and i'm encouraging you to follow up. :)

this
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 11, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140511/log.5158def5e4b0ee7f08a599e4.1399849579914.txt
This is why you don't go for money after winning the ambassador war if possession is on the board. Sorry cooledcannon.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 11, 2014, 07:18:39 pm »
+3

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140511/log.5158def5e4b0ee7f08a599e4.1399849579914.txt
This is why you don't go for money after winning the ambassador war if possession is on the board. Sorry cooledcannon.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #431 on: July 04, 2014, 11:36:07 am »
+1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140704/log.510d7890e4b0ac7a7a0be611.1404487835835.txt

I'm not sure what happened, but I played CR/big money and ended up with 7 Provinces on turn 14.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 04, 2014, 12:43:31 pm »
+4

I was playing with a 12 year old, and I managed to convince him to let KC, Goons, and Masquerade in the kingdom.  He was not happy.  He said he would never play dominion with me again.  We had to eat lunch, and after we got our lunch, he said, "We should play dominion while we eat lunch!"

After lunch, we played again and I set up an amazing engine, got Tournament (and all five prizes) from the Black Market, and crushed him with all eight provinces.  He said he would never play with me again.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 04, 2014, 12:44:42 pm »
+10

I was playing with a 12 year old, and I managed to convince him to let KC, Goons, and Masquerade in the kingdom.  He was not happy.  He said he would never play dominion with me again.  We had to eat lunch, and after we got our lunch, he said, "We should play dominion while we eat lunch!"

After lunch, we played again and I set up an amazing engine, got Tournament (and all five prizes) from the Black Market, and crushed him with all eight provinces.  He said he would never play with me again.

This belongs in the "Worst way to learn a game" thread.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 04, 2014, 12:45:38 pm »

This belongs in the "Worst way to learn a game" thread.

He's played plenty of times before.  In fact, he beat me the first game we played in this sitting.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 14, 2014, 01:29:08 pm »

I do my best to resign gracefully (unless I tell my opponent I intend to resign, and then he continues to play another 5 minute turn), I meant rage quitting from the perspective of being so angry I close my browser, instead of going back into the lobby and using my 1st player advantage to challenge some unsuspecting high level player.

Wait, the 1st and 2nd players aren't random on Goko?!?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #436 on: August 14, 2014, 01:45:19 pm »

I do my best to resign gracefully (unless I tell my opponent I intend to resign, and then he continues to play another 5 minute turn), I meant rage quitting from the perspective of being so angry I close my browser, instead of going back into the lobby and using my 1st player advantage to challenge some unsuspecting high level player.

He's talking about isotropic.  (post dated 2011)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #437 on: August 14, 2014, 02:00:29 pm »

Did isotropic not allow you to resign on your opponent's turn? I know if my opponent told me "I plan to resign" I'd still play my five-minute turn (if that's what it takes to play the turn optimally). If you want the game to be over, just resign.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 14, 2014, 06:51:43 pm »
+3

Did isotropic not allow you to resign on your opponent's turn? I know if my opponent told me "I plan to resign" I'd still play my five-minute turn (if that's what it takes to play the turn optimally). If you want the game to be over, just resign.

Correct.  It is one of the few things Goko technically does better than Iso.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2014, 12:34:31 am »
+3

Played a match of two games at a boardgaming tournament(vs 2 opponents).
First game: Torturer engine, but I trashed all of my money, so it was me buying Silver/engine parts while each of them takes 2 Curses a turn or discards their whole hand. I started numbering the Torturer plays to make sure they didn't miss one. Got to like 5 in a turn by the end.
Second game: I pulled out Goons/Watchtower as ammo after a Wharf/Bazaar engine, but I just couldn't empty those 3 piles. First turn I showed it to them, I picked up 10 points(one guy bought a Colony after and said "10 points, the old fashioned way"), then 24, then 50... I ended up with 176 points. People started looking over from the other tables when I started using Coin tokens as 50 VP chips.
Both opponents left the table before I could get their first names for the scoresheet.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #440 on: August 17, 2014, 08:14:11 am »

Did this tournament happen to be in Lancaster, PA?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 17, 2014, 03:09:18 pm »
+1

Played a match of two games at a boardgaming tournament(vs 2 opponents).
First game: Torturer engine, but I trashed all of my money, so it was me buying Silver/engine parts while each of them takes 2 Curses a turn or discards their whole hand. I started numbering the Torturer plays to make sure they didn't miss one. Got to like 5 in a turn by the end.

I always wait whenever I play a torturer.  People can't decide what to do as well when they don't know how many you're playing.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 21, 2014, 11:41:40 am »

First player advantage:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140821/log.516e5585e4b082c74d7d5fb7.1408635259592.txt

He can still win easy.  IW/Gardens is present which is a large source of points.  The larger deck size will significantly mitigate the damage of losing the FG split 6/4.  Can also IW/Feast to turn into Duchies.  You were certainly in a better position but your opponent clearly hasn't played enough Dominion to learn that that you could still draw 5 FG in a single hand that also misses the reshuffle.  Luck happens in Dominion.  Early luck is usually snowballs a game but by no means is it game over.  I could't count the number of games I've won after not resigning due to an opponents early luck.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 21, 2014, 11:47:35 am »

First player advantage:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140821/log.516e5585e4b082c74d7d5fb7.1408635259592.txt

He can still win easy.  IW/Gardens is present which is a large source of points.  The larger deck size will significantly mitigate the damage of losing the FG split 6/4.  Can also IW/Feast to turn into Duchies.  You were certainly in a better position but your opponent clearly hasn't played enough Dominion to learn that that you could still draw 5 FG in a single hand that also misses the reshuffle.  Luck happens in Dominion.  Early luck is usually snowballs a game but by no means is it game over.  I could't count the number of games I've won after not resigning due to an opponents early luck.
Yes I certainly wouldn't have resigned either. But I'd say the odds were heavily in my favor, maybe 70-30?

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #445 on: August 21, 2014, 12:04:11 pm »

70/30 isn't even that much worse than his odds were at turn one, being second player on that board. If he resigns t5 here he might as well resign t1.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:05 pm »

70/30 isn't even that much worse than his odds were at turn one, being second player on that board. If he resigns t5 here he might as well resign t1.

I am not that sure about that odds, my guess is more 60%-40% but I would need simulate that from given hand to get exact numbers. He  could get province on turn 5 which is nice. Likely followup is getting embassies which likely get province regardless of having 4 or 6 fools gold, what matters more is if playing them causes reshuffle or not. I would gain embassy+fg on turn 4 and would get tempo for lossing split 4-6. At turn 5 its hard to tell if province or getting embassy is better but one could try to get lucky 5 in turn 6/7.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 21, 2014, 03:30:40 pm »

for playing swindler every single turn after t8.  And eventually playing up to 6 swindlers in a turn.  Oh, and also playing militia every turn after t11. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2014, 03:34:04 pm »

I'm sorry I Swindled your worker's village twice before you played them, and at one point you had 4 potions in your deck. To be fair, you also opened Potion to get Transmute, so how sorry can I feel? I put 4500+ in my game name. You also Swindled my Silver into a Swindler, so thanks for that.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140823/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1408821646953.txt

EDIT: The next game deserves a post though. Sorry I gave you 10 ruins by turn 10, and you went for Mountebank.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140823/log.5061c5fdfca2f090db07a1da.1408823025462.txt
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:45:48 pm by KingZog3 »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 23, 2014, 03:45:21 pm »
+2

I'm sorry I Swindled your worker's village twice before you played them, and at one point you had 4 potions in your deck. To be fair, you also opened Potion to get Transmute, so how sorry can I feel? I put 4500+ in my game name. You also Swindled my Silver into a Swindler, so thanks for that.

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140823/log.51467e35e4b0de86766bf3f3.1408821646953.txt

transmute is a brilliant counter to swindler, because there is only one card with the same cost. I'm sorry if you lack the talent to see the underlying genius.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28  All

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.