Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Railway Town/Fenugreek - My Challenge #7 (Village) card  (Read 2476 times)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Railway Town/Fenugreek - My Challenge #7 (Village) card
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »

Railway Town

$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have played Railway Town two or more times this turn, +1 Buy.
If you have played it three or more times this turn, +$1.
If you have played it four or more times this turn, +1 Card.
If you have played it five or more times this turn, +1 VP.

So yeah, the thematics of this one. These things start off as villages, but as more and more of them get connected together, they get bigger, more powerful and generally more useful to the national economy. They're railway towns!

I have no idea how it actually plays in practice.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
Re: Railway Town/Fenugreek - My Challenge #7 (Village) card
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 01:43:36 pm »

Railway Town

$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have played Railway Town two or more times this turn, +1 Buy.
If you have played it four or more times this turn, +1 Card.
If you have played it five or more times this turn, +1 VP.

So yeah, the thematics of this one. These things start off as villages, but as more and more of them get connected together, they get bigger, more powerful and generally more useful to the national economy. They're railway towns!

I have no idea how it actually plays in practice.

One of the problems I see is putting the +1 card at the fourth okay. If you have the drawing power to play 4 $5 villages, you probobly don't need the extra card.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 01:45:09 pm »
+2

In my analysis of this and the other card like it in the contest, the conclusions I reached were that you need to play 4 in a turn for them to be individually worthwhile at their price tags.  I think that's WAY too much.  Compare with other collision-dependent cards:  Treasure Map, Fool's Gold, arguably Tournament and Baron.  Their powers exceed their cost tiers with only a single collision.  Admittedly, you absolutely have to take into account their solo powers (Treasure Map is nothing, while Railway Town is still at least a Village), but it will be extremely unusual to be able to reliably chain 4 of these together per turn, especially once you start greening, and even when you do, it's not stupendous until you get to 5 per turn.  You'd almost always rather have four unfettered $5 cards (Festival, Bazaar, Market, whatever) that will reliably produce $5-level effects every single time.

My suspicion is that this type of card needs to achieve at least $5 power levels with only two in play per turn and exceed that with more.  For example, if the "two or more times" bonus were +$2, then playing two Railway Towns would be equivalent to playing two Bazaars.  Even that might not be enough, because wouldn't just having two Bazaars be generally better, as it wouldn't matter if you drew them together?  But you could make it work depending on what the bonuses were at the higher levels.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14:49 pm »

Yeah, it's an awkward one. It looks weak at 5 and overpowered at 4. The usual cost at such constraints would be 2+P, but it's even worse there.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 03:01:31 pm »

I think it's actually still weak at $4.  Two of these is less than two Worker's Villages.  Three of these is better than three Worker's Villages (usually), but only by +$1, and if you've got three Villages to string together, does the +$1 really matter?   That said, I don't think it would be out of line at $4.  Sure, if you fully activate them, they're stupendous, but then so are Conspirator chains.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:55 pm »

Let me take a crack at it.

Railway Town 2
$4 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have played Railway Town two or more times this turn, +$1.
If you have played it three or more times this turn, +1 Card.
If you have played it four or more times this turn, +1 Buy.

1= village
2= village+bazaar
3= village+bazaar+bazaar+(lab)
4= village+bazaar+bazaar+lab+(lab+peddler+workersvillage)
5= +11(6 net) cards, +4 coin, +10 actions (5 net), and +2 buy.

This quickly gets better than Workers Village +Workers Village + Conspirator [this combination is 3 cards and each added card is a conspirator]
3= workersvillage+workersvillage+peddler+(peddler)
4= workersvillage+workersvillage+peddler+pedder+(peddler+peddler)
5= +5 (0 net) cards, +6 coin, +7 actions (2 net), and +2 buy.

this looks too strong at 4, especially with gainers. If we move it to 5, we can switch the +1 coin and +1 card (2nd and 3rd play positions).

Railway Town 3
$5 - Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have played Railway Town two or more times this turn, +1 Card.
If you have played it four or more times this turn, +1 Buy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.