Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #2: Feodum, Cultist, Ruined Market  (Read 185467 times)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #2: Feodum, Cultist, Ruined Market
« Reply #225 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:07 pm »
+1

Hey, does the Cultist remind anyone else of this guy?.

WheresMyElephant

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:10 pm »
+6

You guys are in luck because I found out what Donald's super-secret Ruins is. It's the ruined horse, "Tasty Stewed."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:07:15 pm by WheresMyElephant »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 07, 2012, 02:06:39 pm »

I was about to post it in the "really bad card ideas" topic, but I thought it wouldn't be relevant.

Let's ruin everything !

-Ruined Tribute- (Action)
The player to your left reveals and discards the top card of his deck. If it is...
an action card, +1 action
a treasure card, +$1
a victory card, +1 card

-Ruined Coppersmith- (Action)
The first copper you play this turn produce an extra $1

-Ruined Contraband- (Treasure)
+$1
When you play this, reveal your hand. The player to your left names two cards, you can't buy those cards this turn.
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:54 pm »

Ruined Counting House
0 - Action
Take up to 1 Copper from your discard pile and place it on top of your deck.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 07, 2012, 02:10:14 pm »

I was about to post it in the "really bad card ideas" topic, but I thought it wouldn't be relevant.

Let's ruin everything !

-Ruined Tribute- (Action)
The player to your left reveals and discards the top card of his deck. If it is...
an action card, +1 action
a treasure card, +$1
a victory card, +1 card

-Ruined Coppersmith- (Action)
The first copper you play this turn produce an extra $1

-Ruined Contraband- (Treasure)
+$1
When you play this, reveal your hand. The player to your left names two cards, you can't buy those cards this turn.

Ruined Thief - Each other player puts their deck in their discard.  They then go through their discard, and trash any and all Treasures they like.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 07, 2012, 02:21:02 pm »

Ruined Ruin:

(this space intentionally left blank)

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 07, 2012, 02:24:00 pm »

Ruined Thief - Each other player puts their deck in their discard.  They then go through their discard, and trash any and all Treasures they like.

You gain all of the trashed treasures if and only if Counting House, Coppersmith, Apothecary, Gardens, Trader and Watchtower are not in the supply.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2012, 02:25:47 pm »
+3

Ruined Workshop

Gain a Ruined Workshop
________

When you gain this, gain a Ruined Workshop
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Dark Ages Preview #2
« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2012, 02:26:09 pm »

I think the distinction is that "+1 Buy" enables you to get some benefit out of having the card in your deck, however niche a situation it might be when you want it.  But "+1 Card" (combos with specific other cards aside) only ever gives you what you would have had if you hadn't had it in the first place, so it doesn't really help.

+1 Card - Eats your action.
+1 Action - Eats a card slot.
+1 Buy - Gives you +Buy!  Now I can get two Provinces!
+$1 - Gives you a coin!  Now I can afford one Province!

Now, nothing says that all the Ruins cards have to be potentially useful, nor that they need to be roughly equivalent in strength.  But there IS a fundamental difference between the first two, which require combos to do anything for you, and the last two, which are simply meager benefits.

I'm not sure what you're saying here. All of them but the +1 Action one "eat" your action. And all but the + Card one "eat a card slot. All of them need some sort of combo to actually be useful. I don't see why +$1 is considered a "meager benefit" and +1 Card isn't. +$1 might be better than +1 Card most of the time, since it won't draw your other ruinses dead, but it's not a ton better, though I guess you might also buy it in a Minion or other draw-up-to-X deck with enough villages. But it's not fundamentally a whole lot different.

Ok, if you have a card that has "+1 Card" on it, then playing it will draw the card you would have had anyway if you hadn't had that that Ruins in your deck.   Thus, in the absence of specific combos (e.g., KC), the only real effect is to take something away from you:  your Action, specifically, or your card slot should you refrain from playing it at all.

But a card saying "+1 Buy" gives you something you might not have been able to have otherwise.  It takes away a card slot and your action, but you get a buy that you would not have had had you not had the Ruins in your deck.  It may or may not be a trade-off you would welcome, but it is a trade-off, as opposed to purely a negative.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:11 pm »
+6

Ruinn:

+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard 1 card.
----------
When you gain this, look through your discard pile (including this), reveal any number of Ruins cards from it, and shuffle them into your deck.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:41 pm »

But you're thinking of it as getting a ruin compared to getting nothing.

I think +1 Card, and even +1 Action are both better than a truly blank card (or a Curse or an Estate).

So maybe the rule for Ruins is more utility than a curse, less utility than a card you would spend money on.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2012, 02:35:04 pm »

Late to the party here, but I also laughed out loud at Ruined Chancellor. Actually, literally did so, which is a real rarity for me reading the internet. Well done.

Don't know if its true globally, but in colloquial English in England, ruined also means very drunk. So a Ruined Bishop would be pretty amusing to my game group.

Wonder if there'll be a Ruined Attack of some sort. Like Ruined Militia, that makes everyone discard down to 5 cards. Or maybe a Ruined Black Market that only sells Scouts.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:36:29 pm by Asklepios »

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #2
« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2012, 02:38:43 pm »

If a cultist chain is set up correctly (we'll figure out how to do that in a couple weeks),

1. Buy lots of Cultists.
2. Play one.
3. ???
4. Profit!

would be roughly my guess.  Seriously, aside from the obvious tricks to top-deck stuff, "buy more cultists" and "have less other cards in your deck" would pretty much be the gist of how to chain them.

It seems to really be a card that will snowball to a ridiculous degree though, possibly even worse than cursing attacks, and I think I'll despise games playing with it.

I agree with the way to chain the cultist chains but you would have to remember to build up a decent economy at the same time. This seems like a true example of a snowball card. An annoying one :P

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 07, 2012, 02:41:37 pm »

Query:  Are all the Looters going to be Action-Attacks as well?

Because if Shelters do protect against Looters, as I expect they will, it would be more interesting if there were some Looters that only Shelters could protect you against, and not Moat or Lighthouse.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 07, 2012, 02:46:26 pm »

I agree with the way to chain the cultist chains but you would have to remember to build up a decent economy at the same time. This seems like a true example of a snowball card. An annoying one :P

I would guess that building up an economy could be obvious - just buy silvers whenever you can't make $5 for a cultist. With ruins flying around, you'll be stuck in sub-5 land often enough.

I would guess that you want one cultist before getting gold, but I don't have an intuition whether you want to get a gold before your second cultist (if you can) or whether you want to drive the cultists until the ruins are all gone and only switch to Gold afterwards. My intuition is that stackable spammable attacks should be stacked and spammed, dammit, and that I'd probably pass on gold unless I expected the cultist I'm buying to not get played before ruins are out.

So I guess in that sense it would play sort of like a familiar, in how spammable it is. So three cultists before gold maybe?

metzgerism

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:22 pm »

Ruined Island

Set aside this and another card from your hand. Return them to your deck at the end of the game.
0 VP.

EDIT: Heck, in that vein, Ruined Monument: +1 VP.

Seems imbalanced at $0 though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:52:14 pm by metzgerism »

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #241 on: August 07, 2012, 02:54:58 pm »

I think +1 Card, and even +1 Action are both better than a truly blank card (or a Curse or an Estate).

So maybe the rule for Ruins is more utility than a curse, less utility than a card you would spend money on.

Agreed, certainly.  They're all better than Curses.  But that wasn't my point.  The point of my original post (which Hive asked me about, which is why I further clarified) was how the Ruins cards are different from each other.  The "+1 Buy" and presumed "+$1" ones are potentially useful on their own, while the presumed "+1 Card" and "+1 Action" ones cannot be in the absence of specific combos.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:56:28 pm by rinkworks »

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +457
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2012, 02:57:18 pm »

Why looters should always be attacks? Consider something like:

Treasure Hunter
Action - Looter
$4
You may trash a Ruins. If you do, gain a treasure card of your choice.
Otherwise gain a Ruins.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2012, 03:00:52 pm »
+1

Agreed, certainly.  They're all better than Curses.  But that wasn't my point.  The point of my original post (which Hive asked me about, which is why I further clarified) was how the Ruins cards are different from each other.  The "+1 Buy" and presumed "+$1" ones are potentially useful on their own, while the presumed "+1 Card" and "+1 Action" ones cannot be in the absence of specific combos.

So what you're saying is that the +Buy and +$ ones are the only ones you'd actually buy with "non-specific" combos? Because when given as a ruin, you'd probably more often want +1 Card than +1 Buy...

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »

So what you're saying is that the +Buy and +$ ones are the only ones you'd actually buy with "non-specific" combos? Because when given as a ruin, you'd probably more often want +1 Card than +1 Buy...

I disagree. +buy can be a big help on an engine board, to the point where you might plan on buying one anyway. I can't envision a scenario where I'd ever want the +1 card type ruin.

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure +1 Buy is the only one you might buy, seeing as it's the only one not every board has.  +$1 is a worse copper, +1 Card wastes your action, +1 Action wastes a card.

So, how will Chapel/Cultist compare to Chapel/Witch and Chapel/Mountebank as opening?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2012, 03:20:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure +1 Buy is the only one you might buy, seeing as it's the only one not every board has.  +$1 is a worse copper, +1 Card wastes your action, +1 Action wastes a card.

Pedantic Man!
Not every board draws you cards. Well, you say, it only gets the one card back, so that does nothing - true... normally! But there are two cards for which you actually get to draw EXTRA cards this way: Golem and King's Court. So, with no other +cards, but you COULD build some enormous actiony enginey awesomesauce, except that there are NO +CARDS CARDS AT ALL (like, no cantrips, no nothin' - I guess there are some kinds of +action cards that aren't cantrips, a la lighthouse, festival, fishing village), and there is at least one of golem and king's court, in that situation, you might want those ruined smithies (or whatever they will be called.

What do you mean that will never happen? Didn't stop them from printing Scout!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »
+1

I disagree. +buy can be a big help on an engine board, to the point where you might plan on buying one anyway. I can't envision a scenario where I'd ever want the +1 card type ruin.

By "given as a ruin", I mean in a looter game. Those games are probably going to be junkier (like curse games) in which case you're unlikely to be building an engine that needs +buy. +1 card at least gets your ruins out of the way on turns where you can spare an action.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:23:40 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2012, 03:29:16 pm »

Pedantic Man!
Not every board draws you cards. Well, you say, it only gets the one card back, so that does nothing - true... normally! But there are two cards for which you actually get to draw EXTRA cards this way: Golem and King's Court. So, with no other +cards, but you COULD build some enormous actiony enginey awesomesauce, except that there are NO +CARDS CARDS AT ALL (like, no cantrips, no nothin' - I guess there are some kinds of +action cards that aren't cantrips, a la lighthouse, festival, fishing village), and there is at least one of golem and king's court, in that situation, you might want those ruined smithies (or whatever they will be called.

What do you mean that will never happen? Didn't stop them from printing Scout!

Hey, in Harem/Nobles games, you'll be very glad of a Scout.  And they can help you get those Estates in hand for Chapel/Remodel/Ambassador.

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2012, 03:30:24 pm »
+2

guys, guys, I know what the last ruin is.

Ruined Throne
Choose an action card in your hand. Play it once.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.