Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Holiday Village/Mustard (My Challenge #7 - Village Card)  (Read 3043 times)

Tejayes

• Golem
  • Respect: +132
    • View Profile
Holiday Village/Mustard (My Challenge #7 - Village Card)
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:54:39 pm »

HOLIDAY VILLAGE
---
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may put a Victory card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, +1 Buy, +$2.
--
$4 - Action

With this card giving me my best showing yet in the Design Contest (I thank my post explaining how it works  :P), I thought I'd start a topic to discuss how this could have been better.

This card was basically ripped straight from my now long-forgotten Locomotion fan expansion, where it was named Depot Village. That version did not have the extra buy. I put it on and thought that with the requirement to put a usually-crap card back on your deck, the net effect is exactly the same as Festival. Also, since you have to have the crap to put on for the effect, I decided that Festival was almost strictly superior. That's why I kept it at $4 and renamed it Holiday Village for its festivity.

What do you think? Do you think it is a better $4 card without the +Buy? What else could be altered to keep the holiday flavor alive?

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Holiday Village/Mustard (My Challenge #7 - Village Card)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:44:23 pm »

I was really interested in this card, but as simple as it is, it's a little bit tricky for me to pre-envision how the top-decking part will play.  It can whiff, especially in the middle game, so that's bad.  And if it hits, you've just Bureaucratted your next turn.  But a Festival benefit is pretty nice.  If it's priceable at all, $4 seems like the right spot.

I may playtest this myself at some point.  If I do, I'll post again here.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:24 am »

I liked it; you got points from me. I'd probably vote for it again, too.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:53:47 am »

I voted for it, and I would like to play with it, as well. The concept sounds like so much fun. Honestly I really like the card text as is, and if I played with it myself my only concern is the price (4 or 5?).

When playtesting I would be most concerned with the following at $4:

Gainers: Talisman, Workshop, Ironworks, etc. Getting multiple Holiday Villages early would be very nice, and some cards may make it too easy to do so at $4.
Dual Type Green: Great Hall and Nobels.

I am mainly concerned about the card being too swingy. But the games in which these cards appear is relatively small. 

Maybe with testing, if it is a really weak $5 or strong $4, you could weaken the card further by putting the vanilla bonuses after the conditional bonus, so you never get a free chance at drawing another Holiday Village:

HOLIDAY VILLAGE (B)
---
You may put a Victory card from your hand on top of your deck. If you do, +1 Buy, +$2.

+1 Card
+2 Actions
--

This way, if you don't put a victory card on your deck you get a Village; if you do, you get EXACTLY a Festival (since you draw the green card back in hand). This seems to be what you described anyway when you clarified your card and justified the price point at $4. This still gives you the choice (when you have a green card, anyway) between a Festival and a Village, and that choice itself it adds some strength to the card.

But, one version I was thinking about that would be interesting (and most certainly priced at least $5, probably $6) is:

HOLIDAY VILLAGE (C)
---
+1 Card
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+$2

Put a Victory card from your hand on top of your deck.
---

This is a much stronger version since you get the bonus even if you don't have green. This version would also easily combo with trashers to get rid of early Estates, and cards that discard, cycle, or reorder (Hamlet, Inn, Warehouse, Cartographer, Young Witch, Embassy, etc.) to avoid the penalty more often.

Honestly, I am not sure I like this better than what you have, but it is another direction to take the card.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:28:01 am »
+1

If you have a victory card in those 5, it is better than festival. It gives you a choice to get Festival and to know what the top card of your deck is. It also makes you have the "best 4 of 5" instead of a random 4 for your turn. Having the best stuff on a current turn is better than on a later turn. Moving a victory card to where it can miss the reshuffle is useful as well. It also gives you the choice to just use it as a Village. Any choice is better than no choice. It is too strong for $4 in my opinion. It needs to lose +1 coin for the bonus (as I said in the voting thread) or +1 buy for the bonus.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »

I suspect losing a coin is a good idea.  The $4 Villages are, generally speaking, pretty minor improvements to vanilla Village.  Farming and Mining often only ever get used as vanilla Villages anyway, and Worker's Village's +Buy isn't important all the time.  But money is huge.

Speaking of Mining, you kind of have to do a more severe thing to get the full Village+$2, so why should another Village at the same cost provide more for less?

I'd still rather nerf this and keep it at $4, though, then try to make it work at $5 where it would be too similar to Festival.

Still haven't tested it, though.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:23:25 am »

This was posted by Tejayes in his July 2011 Locomotion Expansion

DEPOT VILLAGE
---
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may put a Victory card in your hand on top of your deck. If you do, +$2.
--
Action - $4

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 12:59:00 am »

This was posted by Tejayes in his July 2011 Locomotion Expansion

DEPOT VILLAGE
---
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may put a Victory card in your hand on top of your deck. If you do, +$2.
--
Action - $4

It's already mentioned in the OP.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:17:32 am »

Oh... I guess I knew that at some point, but I forgot. I apologize. I didn't notice the same person started both threads...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:25:47 am by One Armed Man »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.