Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My Challenge #7 & #8 Cards: Flying Machine/Thyme and Incinerator/Grape  (Read 1165 times)

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile

For Challenge #7 (Villages) I submitted the following:
Flying Machine (Thyme) $4
Action - Reaction

Choose one: +2 Cards or +3 Actions.

When you discard this from play, you may put it on top of your deck.

When you discard this other than during a Clean-Up phase, you may reveal it. If you do, set this aside, then at the start of your next turn, return it to your hand.
As it turns out, Flying Machine was considered possibly too strong or too sticky to cost $4. I do feel it is probably on the strong end of the $4 cards, but I don't think it's strong enough to be a $5 card, even as it is now.
If I had to weaken Flying Machine, I think what I'm most likely to do is remove the top decking ability. That seemed to be the biggest problem when Flying Machine was reviewed, and given how reliable it is otherwise, I imagine I'd have to make the constraints on top decking very strict if I intend to keep it. It also seemed to be the most self serving part of the card, and I imagine being able to get +3 Actions with no strings attached, or having it fly back to your hand next turn when discarded would have more interesting potential. Would Flying Machine be more acceptable without top decking? What could change to keep the top decking?

For Challenge #8 (Non-Attack Interaction) I submitted the following:
Incinerator (Grape) $3
Action

Each player may trash up to 2 cards from his hand. +$1 per 2 cards trashed in total, rounded down.
Incinerator on the other hand, turned out to be far too weak. Originally it was this:

Incinerator $3
Action

Each player may trash up to 2 cards from his hand. +$1 per card trashed this way.

This was probably way too strong and I don't think the other players would ever opt in if it was like that. In the new version, two separate players trashing a card would still net you $1 but at least the choice didn't seem as dumb. Depending on what's in the kingdom, the other players could take advantage of the trashing such that it wasn't really beneficial (no good $4 cards, play Incinerator, trash 2 cards for +$1, other two players trash 1 card and 2 cards for another +$1, I have 2 Coppers left for $4 to buy a Silver and the "contribution" from other players wasn't meaningful). I'm just adding this point to address the idea that Incinerator would become too strong in 3+ player games (and the choice to trash is optional anyway).
I think Incinerator's in a good place personally, I actually tried it out once (but only once) with a couple of friends and it didn't seem too awful. If I had to strengthen Incinerator, I might just add +$1 to it. If anyone has suggestions or concerns though, I'm all ears.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.