Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]  All

Author Topic: Dark Ages Preview #1: Graverobber, Poor House, Sage  (Read 157487 times)

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Ages Preview #1: Graverobber, Poor House, Sage
« Reply #275 on: August 07, 2012, 03:06:22 pm »
+2

And a Poor House deck is some rich bastard gaming the system, shuffling all his income to non-monetary assets and then proving his "poverty" to get handouts from all the poorhouses around.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2012, 03:13:52 pm »

The easiest way to game the system is to set up a conspiracy ...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2012, 03:14:50 pm »

Or hide it all in your Secret Chamber.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 07, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »

Just don't play at the airport.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2012, 03:25:56 pm »
+1

Just don't play at the airport.

Mattress
Action - $3

When you play this, put any number of Treasure cards from your hand on this card.  Return them to your hand at any time this turn, or discard them at the end of this turn.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2012, 03:52:13 pm »

Mattress
Action - $3

When you play this, put any number of Treasure cards from your hand on this card.  Return them to your hand at any time this turn, or discard them at the end of this turn.

Tactician would also love this.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Dark Ages Preview #1
« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »

Is it? but what you gonna buy with it? Unless you got Villages, how do you make good use if "always 4" hands?

Mint-PH isn't self-sufficient like Mint-FG is, but I was thinking that if the board is right for PH, then Mint-PH is probably a terrific way to ramp up such a deck.  The Mint perhaps becomes useless the instant you gain it, of course, but thereafter the PH gives you a reliable $4 which you can use to ramp up.  If there are Villages, you can use PH to get those Villages, possibly getting another PH on a turn where you don't have your original one.  You can even buy Silvers with your PH money without detriment, as PH+Silver is a $5 hand minimum, with which you can buy your Festivals, Torturers, Libraries, or whatever.

It just seems like a neat way to slingshot into whatever kind of deck you're really interested in.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2012, 04:12:21 pm »

THen later on trash the mint into a Province with Graverobber
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »
+1

If you want a PH deck, then Mint/Chapel is a good opening. Can't trash much faster than that.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »

Graverobber means you can take any card any player trashed? Is it removed from the trash then? Or can another player still get it with graverobber. Apprentice peddler grave robber or app hoard grave robber just became even more obscene. If you can take any card trashed by any player, just buy apprentice, let him trash the good cards and grave rob them
Poorhouse crossroads baron seems good too. (with minimal trashing)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 06:56:59 pm by verikt »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »

Graverobber means you can take any card any player trashed? Is it removed from the trash then? Or can another player still get it with graverobber. Apprentice peddler grave robber or app hoard grave robber just became even more obscene. If you can take any card trashed by any player, just buy apprentice, let him trash the good cards and grave rob them

You can't take Peddler without Highway, Peddler, Bridge, or BM+Quarry.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2012, 11:38:47 pm »

Played a game with Sage and Minion.  Fun!  I opened Sage/Monument, picked up a couple Silvers, but otherwise bought Sages with $3-$4 and Minions with $5+ until the stack was gone.  The Sages found Silver or Monument to help me buy Minions faster and cycled to get those Minions in my hand faster.  Then when the pile was gone and I was ready to actually use the Minion engine, it turned out to be pretty sweet how Sages would skip over Coppers and Estates to pull additional Minions into my hand.  They'd hit Silver or the Monument sometimes, but this was almost never a problem, as more often than not finding an extra $2 got me to the $8 threshold.  If not, I'd just use a Minion already in hand to cycle.

The result was that the Sages increased the effective density of my Minions, which in turn increased their effectiveness overall.  Snapping up Provinces was easy after that.  But what I really appreciated was that it made the Minion stack fun to play.  Minions on their own are pretty mechanical, but this made me think a little more about how to play the hands out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:40:07 pm by rinkworks »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2012, 11:46:19 pm »

Graverobber robs graves during your Action phase.  Peddler's cost drop only happens in your Buy phase.  You remembered the little cheat of Black Market to get Quarry into play, though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 07, 2012, 11:57:38 pm »

Graverobber robs graves during your Action phase.  Peddler's cost drop only happens in your Buy phase.  You remembered the little cheat of Black Market to get Quarry into play, though.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned Highway and Bridge.  And when I wrote Peddler the second time, I meant to write Princess. :P

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2012, 08:38:31 am »

A random thought occurred to me overnight. For the poor-man's province rush (trashing, poorhouse, some card draw, sifting, etc all at <=3) that has been mentioned on this thread, it would seem, that saboteur becomes devastating against that deck. It will be guaranteed to hit either a province or the duchy from the last saboteur strike.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2012, 08:46:31 am »

Yeah, that's why I mentioned Highway and Bridge.  And when I wrote Peddler the second time, I meant to write Princess. :P

And here I was just about to congratulate you on a fine tautology.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2012, 09:46:41 am »
+2

A random thought occurred to me overnight. For the poor-man's province rush (trashing, poorhouse, some card draw, sifting, etc all at <=3) that has been mentioned on this thread, it would seem, that saboteur becomes devastating against that deck. It will be guaranteed to hit either a province or the duchy from the last saboteur strike.

I hope you realize what that looks like.

Toskk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 09, 2012, 06:33:09 pm »

*bleh* Is it just me, or is Graverobber a *total* trap card.  >:( I've been testing it fairly extensively, and I'm pretty sure I have lost almost every game I've gone for it in now. I'm strongly suspecting that a sim will find that BM + Graverobber loses to BM, for one. It really seems the card requires a very specific deck: a high density of high-value action cards that you both want in your deck *and* want to trash.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 09, 2012, 06:35:25 pm »

*bleh* Is it just me, or is Graverobber a *total* trap card.  >:( I've been testing it fairly extensively, and I'm pretty sure I have lost almost every game I've gone for it in now. I'm strongly suspecting that a sim will find that BM + Graverobber loses to BM, for one. It really seems the card requires a very specific deck: a high density of high-value action cards that you both want in your deck *and* want to trash.

Wait for the rest of DA.

But I think it's pretty obvious that Graverobber is not a BM card.  There won't be much of anything in the trash for you to grab, and you also won't have any Action cards to expand.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 09, 2012, 07:06:13 pm »

Yeah. Graverobber seems like it is only useful when there are good things in the trash to fish out.

Useful when Dark Ages cards put lots of good stuff in the trash. Potentially useful when you have a consistent engine to draw it, use it to Expand something, and then get that something back immediately. A serious trap in BM+X.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2019, 04:16:40 pm »

This is the first of several previews by Donald X. Vaccarino, introducing the next Dominion expansion: Dark Ages.

There comes a time in every man’s life when he must preview Dark Ages cards. On second thought maybe that’s not as universal as I was thinking. Anyway, metaphorically, there comes a time etc. And that time for me is now. Actually it was a few minutes ago, when you were reading the cards. I figured I’d just let you keep reading though. Have your fun. I can wait. Okay then.

Dark Ages has several themes and mini-themes. It’s a big sprawling expansion. I am previewing three cards a day, that’s how big it is. It’s also the crazy combo expansion, and today’s cards demonstrate that without even trying.

Graverobber is the way to get things from the trash that you always knew I’d make eventually. What you didn’t know is that it would look like that. If you’re gonna take things from the trash, you have to make sure there are good things to get. Graverobber does this by rewarding you for trashing expensive actions – just the kind of thing you’ll want back later. And when you do take a card from the trash, it puts it on your deck, so you’ll draw it before the game is over. Of course if someone else has Graverobbers, maybe they’ll get that card first. It’s a competitive business in these troubled times.

Poor House says, build a deck with no money. Also a Village, no money and a Village. If you can’t trash your money, at least discard it somehow. And it costs $1. Why even have a card that costs $1 – aren’t you usually going to be paying at least $2 for it? Well sure, but you know. Not always. Anyway it’s cool to have a card that costs $1, I don’t know what to tell you.

There’s a tendency to want to show off the most exotic cards, but I don’t want people to think the set will just be non-stop confusion. So I’m also showing off a simpler card, Sage. Dig for a card costing $3 or more, that’s all there is to it. It will turn into something good for a while; then eventually it will start reminding you about those Provinces you bought. And of course sometimes a Sage just wants you to talk to another Sage.
Why didn't Donald X. post this?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2019, 09:20:07 pm »
+1

Why didn't Donald X. post this?
Probably theory just got to it first. At the time BGG was more the site.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2019, 11:41:50 am »
+8

I think the more pressing question is: why is this part of the forum a nest of matryoshka child boards, and not just all sub-boards of a "previews" board?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.