Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Did I get really lucky?  (Read 1433 times)

Auroch

• Steward
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Did I get really lucky?
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:20 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201107/27/game-20110727-075843-434c586e.html

Province game: Adventurer, Explorer, Golem, Grand Market, Island, Mint, Potion, Tactician, Vault, Venture, and Watchtower

I end with 7 provinces, and bought three on one turn and two each on two other turns. Vault-Tactician-Grand Market felt potent, and my opponent had no Tacticians, but I can't escape the feeling I must have gotten really lucky.

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Re: Did I get really lucky?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:10:12 am »

Island-silver opening is clearly asking for trouble here. It is not so much how lucky you got, but how unlucky your opponent were.

Your opponent drew Island-Silver-Copper-Copper-Copper on turn 3, and in next turn Copper-Copper-Estate-Estate-Estate, while you drew Island-Estate-Copper-Copper-Copper, although you didn't hit 5 or 6 on turns 3/5 it was ''game over'' anyway.
When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:19:32 am »

I'd say the first couple Tactician turns are a little lucky - you draw every relevant treasure in your deck on the first one and all but one on the second one - but I think the dominant factors here are probably Tactician vs. no Tactician and the amount of time your opponent spends getting Golems that don't seem very necessary to me. The pace of this game is such that it's going to end quickly once people start going green, and I think he spends too long getting action cards.

For your strategy, a second Tactician would be good at some point. I think that some variation on that is probably best, but I'm also intrigued by Tactician/Mint/Venture. added: Thinking about it a bit more, Venture can't work very well here because it's hard to run that and get +buy. Thus you'll get passed late anyway, I think.

(I also agree that this is probably not a board I want to open Island on.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:21:35 am by ackack »

play2draw

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:38:23 am »

I wouldn't say you were really lucky. Maybe you were a little lucky... but I suspect you won because you were the only person to buy a Tactician; it's a really good card!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 20 queries.