Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Shelter and Baron?  (Read 4016 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Shelter and Baron?
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:58:30 pm »

I just realized something...  if Shelters are supposed to replace starting Estates, then in games using them, Baron is essentially useless.  The chief thing Baron has going for it is that it can make Baron/Estate magically turn into Silver/Silver with a +Buy, and if you don't have any Estates in your deck to begin with, it gets a lot harder to collide the two.  I mean, you could always use it to gain Estates and as a source of +Buy, but who just wants to accumulate Estates?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
Re: Shelter and Baron?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:59:15 pm »
+4

I'm willing to bet Donald X has thought of this.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:03:10 pm »

That might be why Baron has its Estate-gaining power in the first place.  I always thought that was weird.  Once in a huge while, you can pick up an extra Estate on the last shuffle that way, but it's soooo unusual -- because if you haven't gotten rid of your Baron by that point anyway, there's a good chance that +1 Buy, +$4 will enable you to buy that same Estate anyhow.

Anyway, if Shelters are the reason Baron can gain Estates, I would indeed expect Baron to be weak with Shelters, but at least they wouldn't be as bad as if you had to buy the Estates separately.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:13:31 pm »

On an unrelated note, I've always been impressed at chancellors wording and how nicely introducing tunnel didnt break the card. Good job Donald!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:13:11 pm »

Maybe Shelter has something like:
"This counts as Estate for all purposes"

;D

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:17 pm »

I just realized something...  if Shelters are supposed to replace starting Estates, then in games using them, Baron is essentially useless.  The chief thing Baron has going for it is that it can make Baron/Estate magically turn into Silver/Silver with a +Buy, and if you don't have any Estates in your deck to begin with, it gets a lot harder to collide the two.  I mean, you could always use it to gain Estates and as a source of +Buy, but who just wants to accumulate Estates?

Off topic but is Silver/Silver actually a good thing to go for with Baron?  I always thought the early Gold would be better.  I'm not sure though.  There are probably cases when Silver/Silver is preferable -- games where you only want to hit $5 consistently?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:45:43 pm »
+1

No, he meant that getting Baron/Estate in hand is equal to getting Silver/Silver +Buy.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:49:28 pm »

Nowhere has it been stated that ALL starting Estates are replaced with Shelters. Perhaps each player only gets one.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:50:25 pm »

No, he meant that getting Baron/Estate in hand is equal to getting Silver/Silver +Buy.

Ah, that makes more sense.

Tmwinand

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 10:50:54 pm »
+1

Hopefully all will be answered in 9 hours

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 12:18:31 am »

Maybe you can choose shelters over Estates. Anyway, even if Shelters don't interact with Baron, no biggie. Each expansion always changes things up a little bit. And, if you play prior Dark Ages, Shelters don't matter anyway, and Baron is just one card.

engineer

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »

Maybe shelters turn into estates.  "When you trash this card, gain an estate."  Just to make them harder to get rid of, you know.  And thematically, when you demolish your shelter, you have room for a new estate!  Or something.  And, oh hey, now you have estates for your baron!

PigFiend

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:50:39 am »

On an unrelated note, I've always been impressed at chancellors wording and how nicely introducing tunnel didnt break the card. Good job Donald!
Good job? I call it unintuitive.
Besides, would you open Chancellor/Tunnel as opposed to Young Witch/Tunnel? Hand 3 having your Tunnel and hand 4 having your Chancellor would be just as unlucky as if it was Young Witch.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.