Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #20 - Wrecking Crew  (Read 4532 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Clasic_Cards #20 - Wrecking Crew
« on: August 04, 2012, 06:12:10 pm »

Wrecking Crew (4)
Action - Duration Attack
Each other player discards a Duration card from play and cancels its effects. If any player can't, that player discards down to 3 cards in hand.
At the start of your next turn: +$2

• This is another remnant from the Weeping Angel project that never quite made it.
  • I spent a long time trying to figure out exactly how best to do this. I'm still not sure about the mechanics I came up with, but here was my mind-set: I want it to kill durations, but I don't want people without durations to get away without punishment. In this manner, I encourage people to purchase durations anyway. I made it a duration itself so it could always ensure some interaction. And finally, I put the attack on one turn and the coins on the other because it seemed like a good way to balance it rather than trying the traditional "get the same thing over two turns" method.
  • I also like the flavor that comes with the delayed abilities: destroy something now, grab the spoils after!
  • EDIT: Clarified what's actually supposed to happen.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:33:04 pm by Rush_Clasic »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Clasic_Cards #20 - Wrecking Crew
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 06:14:56 pm »
+1

This won't kill Durations.  As Duration cards are worded, you get the bonus whether the card is in play or not, e.g. Lighthouse says "at the start of your next turn, +$1", not "at the start of your next turn, +$1 if this is in play."  Leaving the card in play is just the way to remember that you get that bonus.

Edit: at least, I think that's how it would work?  Hmm.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:19:19 pm by eHalcyon »

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:31:03 pm »

I'm pretty sure you're right. In that case, the wording would be something like:

Each other player discards a Duration card from play and cancels its effects. If any player can't, that player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

*edits*
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:33:21 pm by Rush_Clasic »

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:04:56 pm »

This won't kill Durations.  As Duration cards are worded, you get the bonus whether the card is in play or not, e.g. Lighthouse says "at the start of your next turn, +$1", not "at the start of your next turn, +$1 if this is in play."  Leaving the card in play is just the way to remember that you get that bonus.

According to the isotropic coding, this is correct. You can remove an in-play duration card from play by returning it to the deck using Scheme. You still get the benefit of having played the duration card, though.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:18:34 pm »

Scheme doesn't topdeck duration cards you've played this turn ? They rather go in discard ?

And to the card, I hate the idea of cards that cancels durations effects. Sometimes it might be really frustating : Tactician, of course, but also wharf (which power isn't revealed on the turn you play it !!!) or merchant ship... or even fishing villages if they needed that action (though I keep thinking fishing village is a lot of cheat at this price)
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:26:43 pm »

I think any card that outright cancel out action cards isn't a good idea, no matter what type of action card they affect.

It just messes with the game's mechanics in a very bad way.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 09:29:36 pm »

Too swingy. I take your Tactician and you take my Caravan.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 09:40:27 pm »

At one point, it was:

"Each other player may discard a Duration card from play and cancel it's effects. If any player doesn't, that player discards down to 3 cards in hand."

From the responses, it seems like people would rather it be an optional thing... or not a thing at all, I suppose.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 10:22:22 pm »

It's too swingy now at 4.  If you add the you may, it's weaker then millitia because you give your opponents a choice.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:16:43 am »

It's too swingy now at 4.  If you add the you may, it's weaker then millitia because you give your opponents a choice.
You could add some sort of vanilla benefit to deal with this.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

razorborne

• Bishop
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 01:25:36 am »

"Now and at the start of your next turn: +$2"?

although I don't think it's a big deal that it can occasionally nerf tactician. yeah, when both of those come up, the tactician becomes really easy to attack. is that the worst thing? cards vary in strength from board to board. that's the nature of the game. Militia gets worse on boards with Library. Smithy gets worse on boards without villages. so, when this and one specific card come up on the same board, that specific card becomes a lot riskier. especially considering that it's generally a good card, so it occasionally becoming worse isn't the end of the world. the first time your opponent goes for tactician and you notice this is on the board and crush him is gonna feel great.

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 01:40:04 am »

I'd also argue that +$2 on the next turn is usually better than Militia's same turn, since buying bigger is generally preferable, and the turn after offers 5 cards plus those coins.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 01:55:35 am »

I'd also argue that +$2 on the next turn is usually better than Militia's same turn, since buying bigger is generally preferable, and the turn after offers 5 cards plus those coins.

I think this is also covered in the major card design post that has been linked in the past...

Getting something on the NEXT turn is actually worth less.  Part of the reason is simply that durations miss reshuffles more often.

Consider Caravan.  This turn, it essentially does nothing.  Next turn, is increases your hand size by 1.  That means Caravan is equivalent to a next-turn Laboratory.

Lab costs $5.  Caravan costs $4.

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 06:22:52 am »
+1

According to the isotropic coding, this is correct. You can remove an in-play duration card from play by returning it to the deck using Scheme. You still get the benefit of having played the duration card, though.

Actually this is wrong. Scheme is expressly reworded not to top-deck cards that are not going out of play, and in the secret history of Hinterlands, Donald X makes it clear this is to avoid a situation where a duration card would be removed from play before fully resolving.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 09:50:17 am »

On Isotropic you get the option to name the card, but it doesn't go anywhere if it's a Duration you played this turn.

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »

"Now and at the start of your next turn: +$2"?

although I don't think it's a big deal that it can occasionally nerf tactician. yeah, when both of those come up, the tactician becomes really easy to attack. is that the worst thing? cards vary in strength from board to board. that's the nature of the game. Militia gets worse on boards with Library. Smithy gets worse on boards without villages. so, when this and one specific card come up on the same board, that specific card becomes a lot riskier. especially considering that it's generally a good card, so it occasionally becoming worse isn't the end of the world. the first time your opponent goes for tactician and you notice this is on the board and crush him is gonna feel great.

Your benefit seems a lot like Merchant Ship.
A man on a mission.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 02:51:31 pm »

If you price this at 4 with the two turns of +2$, it would be strictly better than Merchant ship because of the lower cost and attack.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 12:01:45 pm »

Why don't you have the card give $1 this turn and $2 next turn. That seems like a good compromise. Giving someone a choice is weaker than either alternative.

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 12:05:40 pm »

Wrecking Crew (4)
Action - Duration Attack
At the start of your next turn: +$2

Don't know about the card, but I'm feeling a strong urge to listen to Overkill right now.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 20 queries.