Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The negatives  (Read 3144 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +234
    • View Profile
The negatives
« on: July 26, 2011, 07:43:57 pm »

This idea just came to me. I think it is a very nice card and has lots of uses! Some parameters can be further tuned though.

The negatives  Treasure/Victory

cost: -2
value: -1
VP: -2

When you buy this card, +1 buy. This card cannot be trashed in the buy phase.
When you trash this card, gain a curse.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:51:16 pm by timchen »

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: The negatives
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:26:37 pm »

I can't see the value of this. With most cards, it's useless: it turns provinces into a substantially worse than normal fairgrounds. With ambassador or masquerade, it's a horrible attack.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:31:12 pm »

For the Province, yes. But how about that when you are 3 points behind and there is only one Province left and you only have $6 in hand?

Or in turn 3, suppose you draw 2+P with Familiar the only potion-cost card on board. Do you want to take one of them and a Familiar?

Actually I have to nerf this card with the last line. Otherwise with 5-2 I will gladly open a Forge. Maybe even 4-3.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:24:42 pm »

Oh boy I always wanted to buy something which I could Upgrade into a Copper.

ED: Oh wait I misread it.  Could still Remodel it up into a Copper though!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:21:53 am by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Censure

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 01:11:12 am »

Why -$1? You do realize that you do not have to play coins in your buy phase if you choose not to, correct?

Very rarely would you ever sacrifice -$1 for a +1 buy.

On a positive note, I do really like the premise. How about this:

Slums:
$0 (Purple/Curse Card)

-1 VP. When you buy this, gain +$4. You cannot trash this card by any means,
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:16:11 am by Censure »

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:59:21 am »

Well, one reason is for fun. A card with negative price, negative value, and negative VP!

On the mechanics side, while it usually does not matter, it anti-synergizes with venture or adventurer. It sometimes becomes a decision whether you want to play it before HoP.

Also, the card you suggested should just be a Curse, since there is no function when it is played as a treasure. Also the +1 buy is necessary, or the +$4 you get when buying it is usually not going to be very useful.

Note that you can empty the pile of the negatives any time you want, because you get +1 buy whenever you buy one. It is almost never a good idea to do so, however.

The biggest use for the card, I think, is to overcome some bad draws. It's like, okay, I can take a hit by having one more useless card in my deck, but let me have some extra money to spend this turn. I would imagine there are lots of interesting strategies around this card. For example, how about a turn 3 possession?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:30:49 am »

For the Province, yes. But how about that when you are 3 points behind and there is only one Province left and you only have $6 in hand?

Or in turn 3, suppose you draw 2+P with Familiar the only potion-cost card on board. Do you want to take one of them and a Familiar?

Actually I have to nerf this card with the last line. Otherwise with 5-2 I will gladly open a Forge. Maybe even 4-3.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=370.msg4810#msg4810

minced

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 05:25:52 am »

This card is completely harmless when bought with watchtower - you trash it, then trash the curse you gain. Just buy it with watchtower in hand and a ton of +buy and it effectively lets you convert a buy into an extra $2. With hamlet and watchtower this card would allow buying provinces with *no money in your deck*.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 05:37:17 am »

You seem to have not read the whole card. For starters, when you buy the card you get +1 buy, so you don't even need a load of + buy to do that. Second of all, the card cannot be trashed in the buy phase, so you can reveal a Watchtower if you want but all it'll do is put your The Negatives on top of your deck.

minced

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 06:01:54 am »

Ah - got it, my bad.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 09:02:28 pm »

It seems the Nomad Camp is based on a similar idea! It is possibly milder, and more balanced though.

On the other hand, there is one thing I like this card better: I don't like the prospect of opening a Nomad, then draw only $2. I imagine, in lots of games (with a setup where you won't consider buying Wood Cutter any time & has strong $5s like MB as an incentive) it is gg. If you choose not to but your opponent did and pull out a second turn MB it is probably also gg. This is almost like the 2+P scenario for Familiar.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.