Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Clasic_Cards #18 - Ruins  (Read 1560 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Clasic_Cards #18 - Ruins
« on: August 02, 2012, 08:41:01 pm »

Ruins (6)
Victory
4VP
-----
Rather than pay this card's cost, you must trash 2 cards from your hand with combined costs equaling exactly 6 to buy this card.

• Desolate remains have a way of being quite worthwhile.
  • I have a lot of queries about this card. I plan on playtesting it tonight, but felt like posting it beforehand. My first question will inevitably be "Is the ability to trash cards as payment better, worse, or rather similar to paying coins?"
  • I put the restriction of two cards and exact cost because I wanted this card to require some planning rather than just be a trashing machine. You can still go "Gold + Curse", but you can't go "Estate*3".
  • I gave the card an actual cost of 6 because I didn't like the way it would play at 0. Remodling Curses into this wasn't my intention.
  • I have other thoughts about this card to address, but I'll wait to see what y'all point out that I missed.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Clasic_Cards #18 - Ruins
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:46:54 pm »

- Change the name.  "Ruins" is an official card in the upcoming Dark Ages expansion.

- This is a really neat idea.  I don't know how it would play or if it would work well, but I like it.

- You should put in some wording to prevent it being gained by other cards like Feast (which would be possible following Highway or Bridge).

- Trashing cards is definitely worse for your deck than paying the cost, as you are probably going to lose something good (Gold, two Silvers, etc.) to get this card.  I think the mechanic is very interesting.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »

This creates some interesting late game plays. Gold Silver Estate Estate Curse late game- trash a gold and curse into a ruins for a gain of +5 VP

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:52:05 pm »

- Change the name.  "Ruins" is an official card in the upcoming Dark Ages expansion.

Okay, link me to the spoiler section of the forums since I obviously haven't yet found them.

Quote from: 104339228 post=522532327
- You should put in some wording to prevent it being gained by other cards like Feast (which would be possible following Highway or Bridge).

I actually intended for that interaction, hence why I gave it a cost at all. It wouldn't be all that more powerful than, say, Feasting for a Duchy.

I didn't consider that I might want to reword the ability to take Bridge-type effects into account, though. That is, maybe it'd rather be worded:

"Rather than pay this card's cost, you must trash 2 cards from your hand with combined costs equaling exactly this card's cost to buy it."

Quote from: 104339228 post=522532327
- Trashing cards is definitely worse for your deck than paying the cost, as you are probably going to lose something good (Gold, two Silvers, etc.) to get this card.  I think the mechanic is very interesting.

Overall, I tend to agree. I bet you can build a kingdom where that is less true, though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:54:21 pm by Rush_Clasic »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:59:05 pm »

There is no specific Spoilers section, but here's the thread that started it:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=2652.0

Basically, the flavour text for the Dark Ages expansion mentions that there will be Shelters and Ruins.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.