Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #9: Terminal Silver!  (Read 44066 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenge #9: Terminal Silver!
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 03:11:25 pm »

Man, it sucks when you submit a card to a challenge and then the next day Donald X. has to go and preview a card that has the same unique mechanic. I won't say more to give away my card, but just know that I didn't steal the idea, promise!

There's still time to resubmit!

I thought about it but don't think I will. The cards are different enough besides that mechanic to make them both have reason to exist as cards.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 05:14:56 pm »
+1

Man, it sucks when you submit a card to a challenge and then the next day Donald X. has to go and preview a card that has the same unique mechanic. I won't say more to give away my card, but just know that I didn't steal the idea, promise!

There's still time to resubmit!

I thought about it but don't think I will. The cards are different enough besides that mechanic to make them both have reason to exist as cards.

I've been secretly hoping one of the Dark Ages cards is EXACTLY like one of the cards I have submitted or have on deck to submit in the future. Play testing would already be taken care of and it would be (almost) guaranteed to be balanced. In addition, I could brag that I've "created" an actual Dominion card that finds print! I think this would be more validation for an idea than winning a vote!

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 01:53:02 pm »
+2

Here is the ballot for Challenge #9!  Votes are due in a week.  New challenges coming on Monday.

--

Voting Rules:

Each person may cast votes as follows:  For each Challenge, you may fill your ballot out in one of two ways:

(1) Award 3 points to one entry.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.
(2) Award 2 points to each of two entries.  Award 1 point to any number of other entries.

Submit your votes via PM to me by Thursday, August 16, 2012, 10am EDT in the following format:

Challenge 1

3 CardName
1 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName
1 AnotherCardNameGoesHereToo

Challenge 2

2 CardName
2 AnotherCardName
1 StillAnotherCardName

Please use the above format!  One card per line, with the number of votes given before it, and no extra punctuation or anything.  This will make it easy for me to copy-and-paste your votes into the format my vote-counting script needs it to be in.

Do not submit votes for your own cards.  (If you do, my script will catch you anyway.)

By submitting vote(s) for a challenge, you will automatically earn 1 point for your entry in that challenge.  This is to incentivize contestants to submit votes.  (My script does this automatically, so don't worry that I'll forget to do this.)

Note that the supplied card names are for discussion/identification only -- they are not the card names that were submitted to me.  The proper card names will be revealed when the results are announced.  Whenever card text says "[This Card]" it means the submitted text says the card's own name there.

Inclusion on the ballot means that the card was deemed eligible for the contest.  You therefore do not need to consider eligibility when voting.  In some cases, this may mean a pretty loose interpretation of the eligibility requirements.  I tried to be fair but also forgiving when a submission came in that twisted the rules in a way I hadn't foreseen.

As a voter, you may use whatever criteria you wish in determining what your votes will be.  Be as forgiving or particular as you like concerning conformance to standard Dominion terminology.   For all winning cards, there will be a chance to tweak the wording as a community, if necessary, before they are canonized.

--

Amber
$1 - Action
+$2
Discard a Treasure from your hand (or reveal a hand with no Treasure).
If you discarded any cards this way, +1 Card.

Carnelian
$1 - Action
+$2

Emerald
$2 - Action
+$2

Jade
$2 - Action
+$2
You may gain a [This Card] in hand. If you do, trash a card from your hand.

Agate
$2 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player with fewer than 6 cards in hand gains a Copper in hand. If no player gains a Copper this way, discard this from play. Otherwise, play this again.

Onyx
$3 - Action
+$2
At the start of Clean-up this turn, choose up to two cards you have in play. For each you would discard from play this turn, shuffle it into your deck.

Pearl
$3 Action
+$2
You may choose to have each opponent draw a card.  If they do, +2VP.

Jasper
$3 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck. He gains a number of Coppers equal to the number of Action cards revealed. Discard all revealed cards.

Topaz
$3 - Action
+$2
Name a card costing up to $2 and then reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.
If any copies of the named card are revealed, trash them and discard the rest.  Otherwise: Discard the revealed cards and gain a copy of the named card, putting it on top of your deck.

Amethyst
$3 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player may discard a Treasure or Victory card; if he doesn't, he gains a Curse.

Sapphire
$3 - Action
+$2
Each player (including you) reveals the top card of his deck. if yours has or is tied for the lowest cost in $, +2 Buys.

Ruby
$3 - Action
+$2
You may trash this card. If you do, gain a card costing at most $4.

Zircon
$3 - Action
+$2
Reveal two cards from your hand.  The player to your left chooses one of them for you to trash.

Alaxandrite
$3 - Action-Attack
+$2
Trash a card from your hand, then draw a card.
Each other player gains a Curse and a Copper, putting one (their choice) in their hand.

Kyanite
$3 - Action
+$2
You may draw 3 cards. If you do, reveal 3 cards from your hand. The player to your left chooses one for you to discard. Trash the other two.

Citrine
$4 - Action
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
+$2
Discard 2 cards.

Iolite
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player discards an Action card (or reveals a hand with no Actions).

Turquoise
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player with at least five cards discards a Treasure card (or reveals a hand with no Treasure).

Apatite
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player discards a card from his hand that is not a Victory card (or reveals a hand with only Victory cards) and gains a Copper, putting it in his hand.

Beryl
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Draw 2 cards.
Discard 2 cards.
Everyone else discards a card and gains a Copper to their hand.

Aquamarine
$4 - Action Attack
+$2
Each player including yourself draws a card and reveals their hand.  For each hand revealed, choose one card and return it to the top of each player's deck.

Chalcedony
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player discards 2 different named cards and gains a Copper.
(If the player reveals a hand of all the same cards, they discard only 1 card.)

Malachite
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
When you play this card, you may trash it. If you do, +1 VP.
Each other player draws 2 cards, then shows you his hand. You may choose a card from each revealed hand costing up to $3 and trash it. Each other player then discards down to 4 cards in hand.
--
(Rules clarification: Attacked opponents do not see each others' hands.)

Garnet
$4 - Action
+$2
After playing this card, shuffle your discard pile and place it on top of your draw pile.

Labradorite
$4 - Action
+$2
Reveal the top card of your deck. Gain a card costing exactly $1 less.

Sunstone
$4 - Action
+$2
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck.
Discard all revealed Victory and Curse cards.
Put all revealed Treasure cards on the bottom of your deck in any order.
Put all revealed Action cards on the top of your deck in any order.

Moonstone
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Name a card.
Every other player reveals cards from their deck until they reveal the named card.
They discard it or put it on top of their deck, your choice.
They discard the other revealed cards.

Ametrine
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player with at least 4 cards in hand reveals a card from hand and either discards it or puts it on top of his deck, your choice.

Opal
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player may reveal a Victory or Curse card from his hand. If he doesn't, he may immediately buy a Victory or Curse card, putting it in his hand. If he doesn't, he discards his hand.
--
(Rules clarification: When this is played, each other player may play any number of Treasure cards from his hand, then buy a Victory or Curse card costing up to the total number of $ played. All Treasure cards played this way stay in play until that player's next Cleanup phase.)

Peridot
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
+1 Buy
Each other player reveals the top card of his deck and then puts it back. If the revealed card was not Copper, he gains a Copper, putting it on top of his deck.

Spinel
$4 - Action
+$2
Reveal the top card of your deck and either trash it, discard it, or put it back.

Tanzanite
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
All other players gain a Curse and choose to either trash a card from their hand or draw a card.

Melanite
$4 - Action
+$2
Reveal the top and bottom cards of your deck, then reveal a card from your hand. Place one of the revealed cards in your hand, one on top of your deck, and trash the remaining card.

Obsidian
$4 - Action
+$2
Gain a Silver.

Aventurine
$4 - Action
+$2
You may trash this card. If you do, gain a Victory card costing 5 or less.

Dioptase
$5 - Action
+$2
+2 Cards, discard 2 cards.  For each Copper discarded, +1 VP.

Ammolite
$4 - Action
+$2
You may reveal a Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing less than the revealed card.

Tourmaline
$5 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player may trash a Copper.
Each other player may discard a Copper. If he does, he gains a Copper. Otherwise, he gains three Coppers.

Axinite
$5 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player gains two Estates or a Curse, his choice.

Bloodstone
$5 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck. You choose 1 for them to place of the bottom of their deck and put the other back. If any non-Victory cards are revealed, gain a copy of one non-Victory card revealed this way.

Rhodonite
$5 - Action
+$2
+1 VP for every $4 you spend this turn, rounded down.

Serpentine
$5 - Action
+$2
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Discard the revealed Victory and Curse cards and put the rest back on top in any order.
If you discarded 1 or more cards, you may gain a Copper.
If you discarded 2 or more cards, you may gain a Silver.
If you discarded 3 or more cards, you may gain a Gold.
--
(Rule clarification: The Treasure-gaining clauses are independent. If you discard 3 cards you may gain any or all of Copper, Silver, and Gold.)

Hackmanite
$5 - Action-Attack
+$2
Choose one of the following:
Gain a Copper, each other opponent gains a Curse;
Gain a Silver, each other opponent gains a Copper;
Gain a Gold, each other opponent gains a Silver.

Amazonite
$5 - Action
+$2
Discard any number of cards.
Draw the same number of cards. You may set aside any Action cards drawn this way, as you draw them; discard the set aside cards after you finish drawing.

Celestite
$5 - Action
+$2
Look through your discard pile and trash up to 2 cards from it.

Howlite
$5 - Action
+$2
Choose one:  Gain a token, or gain a card costing up to 1 per token on your mat.  If you gained a Victory card, return two tokens to the supply.

Kunzite
$5 - Action
+$2
You may discard a Victory card costing up to $6. If you do, gain a Victory card costing up to $3 more than the discarded card, putting it into your hand.

Larimar
$5 - Action-Attack
+$2
Gain a card costing up to $4, put it on top of your discard pile.
Reveal a card from your hand or the top of your discard pile.  Each opponent chooses one: he gains a copy of that card, or you do, his choice.

Mica
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
+$2
Discard 2 cards.

Brandburg
$6 - Action-Attack
+$2
Each other player trashes a Treasure card from his hand. He then gains a Treasure card costing at most $3 less than it (cost of gained card must be no lower than $0), and may choose to put it in his hand. Otherwise he reveals his hand with no Treasure cards.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 04:13:50 pm by rinkworks »

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 02:08:17 pm »

So much +$2!!!!!  Time to start looking through them  :)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 02:14:42 pm »
+1

Recycler needs a jewel name
Hey, my birthstone is a recycler!

( I was born in Febtober.)

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 02:18:49 pm »

Recycler needs a jewel name

Oops!  Done.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 02:26:27 pm »

A lot of these cards are exactly the same, or very similar.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 02:34:23 pm »

I almost decided to submit Emerald this round. I mean it's so tempting! :P
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »

It was a very restrictive restriction.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 02:36:47 pm »
+2

Yeah, I think they all give +$2. What's up with that?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2012, 02:38:13 pm »

It was a very restrictive restriction.
Restrictions do restrict you.

I am glad that there are unique cards too.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »
+3

Carnelian
$1 - Action
+$2

Emerald
$2 - Action
+$2

I'll admit, I chuckled.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »

Mica was a total breath of fresh air after reading draw two-discard two-+2$ undercosted sooo much in the other entries.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 02:53:02 pm »

Mica was a total breath of fresh air after reading draw two-discard two-+2$ undercosted sooo much in the other entries.

I'd like to hear your argument for why this is worth so much.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 03:01:46 pm »
+1

If you open +2 Card, +$2, Discard 2, you get $6 as long as you draw 4 Coppers in a hand of 6. That means as long as you don't end up with all 3 Estates, you get guaranteed Gold. If you have Silver, the odds go up even more, and you could probably get a $7 cost T3/T4 fairly regularly. Think of how Embassy technically only gives you +2 Cards, not counting Embassy itself leaving your hand, and yet it's insanely good because of filtering.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 03:07:13 pm »

If you open +2 Card, +$2, Discard 2, you get $6 as long as you draw 4 Coppers in a hand of 6. That means as long as you don't end up with all 3 Estates, you get guaranteed Gold. If you have Silver, the odds go up even more, and you could probably get a $7 cost T3/T4 fairly regularly. Think of how Embassy technically only gives you +2 Cards, not counting Embassy itself leaving your hand, and yet it's insanely good because of filtering.
Also, discarding 2 cards from a selection of 6 is not much penalty. Probably there will be two green cards there, and if there aren't, maybe you discard a Copper and one green card. So in BM, it's an awful lot like +$2 +2 cards, which is very strong.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 03:09:43 pm »

First of all, with this many restrictions, I am looking for a card which is really out there and fun, not something that's oh yeah, that's solid. Also, I did submit cards here, so one of these is mine.

Amber - eh. Probably fine, but boring.

Carnelian - I'm sure this is balanced, but FAR too boring.

Emerald - Seriously? Duchess sucks, and this is basically worse. Also so, so boring.

Jade - Hey, a card! A card! And I actually think I like it ok. Supply trashing, or of course you can trash something else if that's more beneficial. A fine card.

Agate - This looks overpowered. The attack is a mixed bag, but you realize this normally nets you $4, which is way too good on a 2-cost. Also, Village+militia+this+copper = colony.

Onyx - So this is like scheme, but a terminal silver instead of a cantrip, and they're not guaranteed to be in the next hand, and it's two cards, and they don't have to be actions. You know, that actually probably makes this a little bit too strong. It is a very interesting concept of course, but I bet even just BM-this is good, and I would guess that in the right deck, you could use this to play some key card 3-4 (or more) times in a shuffle. But I REALLY like the concept. I wish it cost $4.

Pearl - 2 VP is so ridiculously good, sure maybe they get a zillion cards but I think there is a way to break this, beyond stacking it with discarders (which definitely does!) Would be fine if it was that THEY chose, but of course then it would need to be stronger.

Jasper - This is probably fine? It just forces a BM game, and is not so great for that BM game of course. Like, BM-this can't be better than BMU, but you can pick this up against an engine. In principle, I like cards that let you do that. I'm not so sure that I actually like this, because it seems like it might be too much. Hey, I do like being able to engine. I would love this if it were 'every player that revealed an action gains a copper' instead of 1 per action.

Topaz - Interesting. Looks like a very nice early-game trasher, but late game it basically MAKES you gain those cards. I guess you can use it like a gimped workshop too. I would guess this is too strong, because it goes up to 3. Shame, 'cause I like this too.

Amethyst - Okay, so they can discard a victory, in which case, no big deal. Or then he can cutpurse himself. Or then he can gain a curse. You know, I think this works. It's probably a bit boring, but I think it works.

Sapphire - So, half the time it woodcutters, with double buy, and the other half, it's just terminal silver? I am sure that there's some nice manipulation here, but especially 'cause you can't do this with your whole deck in hand, I want a better payoff.

Ruby - Another pile trasher. Well, a one-shot one-cheaper feast, and it looks like I would like it, but then I ask myself, how often, really, do you need 4s like this, and have 3 money? Eh, I think I still sorta like it.

Zircon - fake! Okay, that's just the name. Another early-game trasher, but this one is slow, and a terminal silver. Well, the terminal silver makes it better than the one-card trashers we usually see, but it can be bad late and, well, what deck am I building that wants this, really?

Alaxandrite - WAY too good. This is, well this is better than any 5-cost currently in print. Like, it is like mountebank, but you MUST trash and draw (well, this CAN be a drawback but usually won't be), and the opponent can't curse-moat it, and they can get one of them in hand? Still better than mountebank, even disregarding the cost.

Kyanite - I am sensing a theme here. Hmmm, seems too good, yeah, for sure, too good. Maybe wouldn't be if there wasn't the 'you may' clause, but that kills it, really.

Citrine - So this is a woodcutter that draw-front-filters two.... seems a lot better than something like nomad camp, HT without reaction, and just a bit too strong. Maybe even without the buy.

Iolite - Okay, another one like Jasper where you are killing engines. Wish this couldn't stack so well. Probably really really good, though again, ironically, BM-this can't be better than BM in a head-to-head.

Turquoise - Too close to cutpurse. Yeah, it can't hit multiple times, and in return, it hits other stuff out of copperless hands. I am sure it's probably balanced, but it's too close to cutpurse for me.

Apalite - replace their worst non-victory with a copper. A bit stronger than just giving out coppers, though mostly it will do the same. This is probably fine.

Beryl - This is like a combination of Citrine and Apalite, but because they can discard victory, sometimes this actually helps them, but this is still too strong

Aquamarine - Huh. Weird? Well, this probably messes them up, a good bit, especially if they are big money. It's like they always draw bad, right? Engines it can really hurt too, if they only have one village in hand. And then you get to mini-courtyard yourself, that's not so bad either. I think this is actually pretty strong, and I like it a lot.

Chalcedony - So, this is right out, just because it's stackable discard. I mean, you can't do it so often, but it's not THAT hard to get them down to only a copper that often, and they're just dead.

Hermalite - looks functionally identical to Iolite. These two should be combined.

Malachite - So... hm. Not too big a fan of the possible VP gain, and the other stuff just seems so... weird, but in a totally unspectacular way. I don't like it.

Recycler - needs a name-lift, rinkworks. Is this not almost entirely functionally equivalent to chancellor, except it costs 1 more?

Labradorite - Uh, interesting. Really terrible in a lot of decks, where there aren't 2s you want, but you do have 3s. Often hits something that makes you gain... nothing. And just generally does not seem useful enough.

Sunstone - A ha, interesting. Well, really terrible in Big Money, pretty awesome for engines, except it's a terminal silver and its only effect is filtering. Now it filters really well, but it still seems a bit weak.

Moonstone - So, name a victory card, and slam them all with it, or name a good action, and it misses the shuffle for them. I can get behind that. Also, can be used to chancellor the opponent, which is sorta awesome.

Ametrine - A terminal silver that most normally will be half a ghost ship. Fine.

Opal - Huh? Buy? With what? I guess the no money he has. Which basically means, gain a curse, right? But gain a curse or discard your hand is way too good here, or swingy anyway, and when it hits, way too good. I don't think I understand what this is trying to do though.

Peridot - So it's not stackable, but it's woodcutter that top-decks copper as an attack, which makes it a little better than the other things we've seen, and I think a touch, touch too strong maybe.

Spinel - Fine.

Tanzanite - Now this is a card that is out there, good. Is it too weak or strong? Hmm, well, it's really good for them AFTER the cursing phase, not too terrible before, doesn't stack well at all, I think it might be ok.

Melanite - What is people's fascination with the bottom of the deck? This is a fine card.

Obsidian - This is explorer which can't gain gold, essentially. As such, probably a little too good for $4.

Aventurine - Good-ish in alternate VP, great for duke, pretty bad otherwise. Too bland.

Dioptase - Filter 2 that lets you get 2 VP? Too easy to get into a infinite token kind of thing. Imagine a deck of KC-This-copper-copper-X. VP tokens are REALLY strong people.

Ammolite - how did this and Dioptase come in this order, because otherwise things look sorted by cost. But ok. Does this... combo... with scout? So, you probably need at least like a gardens for this to be useful, and it is REALLY useful once you start getting up to like Provinces. Hmm, what can I say, I like green, I like this.

Tourmaline - Well let's see, -$1 and gain a copper, or just gain 3? Probably this will end up getting lots of copper-flooded decks, and that's no fun. I mean, I like copper, but this is a LOT.

Axinite - ah-ha. So again we compare mountebank. This can't be moated, but doesn't give copper, and you can always go for the estates. This is probably good.

Bloodstone - Doesn't need the 'if' phrase. Probably weak. You get to make them have a card miss the shuffle, that's nice-ish I guess. You get to gain a non-victory. Well, that can be good, but mostly later, when you can't actually use the thing too much, and sometimes it's going to be bad. Compare with Jester.

Rhodonite - Too weak most of the time, too strong when it's strong.

Serpentine - So this helps you out in the greening stage, pretty terrible before. So alternate VP likes this too, and surprise surprise, I sorta like it.

Hackmanite - Copper vs curse, please, all day long. Well, until the curses run. Then something else, I dunno. This is actually a fine card though, really - you can have a curse-giver for 5, especially with the drawbacks it has.

Amazonite - Fine.

Celestite - Weak. I mean, it's good against cursers I suppose, but your discard pile isn't so big so often. Well, trashing two at once... eh, still looks a touch weak, but maybe fine.

Howlite - Seems too weak. I mean, it's going to be way too long before you can gain something with it. Okay, uber-strong with like KC, (though, hey, what isn't), but so weak so often....

Kunzite - This really does combo with scout! Pyramid-ing your victory cards from the bottom up, that is something new and interesting, I like it. Part of me is worried that it's too weak, because you get clogged, and another part is worried it's too strong, but I think... hmm, well seems to be ok actually, and if it is, I really like it.

Larimar - Terminal silver workshop with... a drawback, which is big-time mitigated in non-mirrors, but... I don't like that it cared about order of discard (even if it controls it), and it seems a little weak - I mean, compare to explorer if you gain silver, and if not, well, there aren't sooo many other cheap cards you so want.

Mica - Effect is strictly worse than vault, opponent doesn't get the buff, but... doesn't seem worth it. Also boring.

Brandburg - There's some wording issues, and I don't think this is at all strong enough to be $6. I mean, it is anti-mine. What happens if they get to chop copper, anyway? But this could definitely be 5, and I don't think it would be strong.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2012, 03:18:31 pm »

Iolite and Hematite are the same.

(ninaed by WW)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2012, 03:21:31 pm »

My faves
Ruby
$3 - Action
+$2
You may trash this card. If you do, gain a card costing at most $4.
Simple and elegant.  It's worse than Silver without the gaining effect, but you can get multiples of a cool 4$ you want, or just take advantage of the flexibility this card offers.  Want Village for a Rabble engine, but don't want to be a Village idiot while you wait for the 5$ drawing piece? Consider this.
Moonstone
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
Name a card.
Every other player reveals cards from their deck until they reveal the named card.
They discard it or put it on top of their deck, your choice.
They discard the other revealed cards.

This is a fixed Fortune Teller that can also zero in on KC's and discard them.  I like it.  I like Fortune Teller and wish it was good, so adding decisionmaking to that and powering it up is great.

Tanzanite
$4 - Action-Attack
+$2
All other players gain a Curse and choose to either trash a card from their hand or draw a card.
I love how I'm not sure whether I want 1 or 2 of these in notrash, and how I don't know if I want 0 or 1 of these in a trashing setup.  And I'm saying that about a cursing attack.

Ammolite
$4 - Action
+$2
You may reveal a Victory card from your hand. If you do, gain a card costing less than the revealed card.
I've tried to think of cool ways to encourage early Duchies, but they are tricky.  This one pulls it off well.  Compares fairly to Explorer and seems like it would have cool interactions with cards like Courtyard and Farmland.

Howlite
$5 - Action
+$2
Choose one:  Gain a token, or gain a card costing up to 1 per token on your mat.  If you gained a Victory card, return two tokens to the supply.
It takes 3 "Duchess" quality charging plays to get this up to Explorer quality, so I feel it's probably balanced.  And I like crazy engine cards, this seems neat.

Larimar
$5 - Action-Attack
+$2
Gain a card costing up to $4, put it on top of your discard pile.
Reveal a card from your hand or the top of your discard pile.  Each opponent chooses one: he gains a copy of that card, or you do, his choice.
Backwards Jester seems like a cool effect.  Isn't "put it on top of your discard pile" redundant?  I like how you can force divergent strategies onto eachother using the "drawback"

Mica
$5 - Action
+2 Cards
+$2
Discard 2 cards.
This is vanilla, but I'm just so glad it got costed correctly once!

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:32 pm »

Just looking at the trashers for now (because I like trashers). Disclaimer: one of these is mine, but not the one I like best. :P

Jade: Somewhat resembles Dark Ages' Rats. Doesn't decrease your deck size, so it can't trim your deck, but replacing an Estate with a Jade will almost always be really good--maybe too good, since it's like Workshopping a terminal Silver plus trashing an Estate, all while getting +$2.

Topaz: Very strong (trash 2-3 Coppers and lose no buying power? yes please) and swingy (name Estate, might draw 2 and trash them or gain one on top of your deck...).

Zircon: Some fun opponent interaction, and it's a pretty good trasher too. Not quite as good at trashing Coppers as Moneylender is, but the ability to sometimes trash Estates and later Curses is great. Seems balanced.

Spinel: Very similar to Lookout. A little weaker at sifting/trashing than Lookout is, but it gives you +$2, which is very helpful in early game. Seems balanced but doesn't bring a new idea.

Melanite: Also similar to Lookout. Seems a little stronger than Spinel. Maybe too strong: this card is awfully similar to "+$2, trash a card, draw 2 cards and put one of them back on your deck", which is really strong.

Celestite: Some Ascension-style (and now Hermit-style) dig-through-your-discard-pile trashing, although without the option to trash from hand. Like Counting House, it's so swingy based on whether you draw it with an empty discard pile.

Edit: Whoops, I missed some because I searched for "trash" and not "Trash"!

Alaxandrite (should be Alexandrite): This is beyond strong. Without the attack, it's strong, because it trashes a card without reducing buying power (similar to strong cards like Masquerade and Jack). Then the attack is an unblockable Mountebank. Yikes!

Kyanite: This is a more complicated, faster-trashing, and stronger version of Zircon, I guess. It's very strong: no reduction in this turn's buying power, plus you get to trash two cards. Then because of the "may", you can use it as a plain terminal Silver once you're done trashing.

Edit 2: I should be clear here that my favourite of this post is Zircon. (I'm still reading the others.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:53:25 pm by blueblimp »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2012, 03:24:31 pm »

Carnelian a.k.a. Strictly Better Than Strictly Better Than Strictly Worse Than Silver
$1 - Action
+$2

Emerald a.k.a. Strictly Better Than Strictly Worse Than Silver
$2 - Action
+$2

These are the cards to beat!

Guy Srinivasan

• Salvager
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2012, 03:26:35 pm »

Carnelian a.k.a. Strictly Better Than Strictly Better Than Strictly Worse Than Silver
$1 - Action
+$2

Emerald a.k.a. Strictly Better Than Strictly Worse Than Silver
$2 - Action
+$2
Strictly? Forge.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2012, 03:31:42 pm »

This was a hard, restrictive challenge.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 09, 2012, 03:38:25 pm »

Zircon - fake! Okay, that's just the name. Another early-game trasher, but this one is slow, and a terminal silver. Well, the terminal silver makes it better than the one-card trashers we usually see, but it can be bad late and, well, what deck am I building that wants this, really?
Hunting Party stacks, Alchemist stacks (assuming there's already a reason to go Alchemist), Double Tactician without other trashing, some Minion games, etc. Also worth considering whenever you might buy a Moneylender. I dunno, I can imagine myself buying this sort of slow-terminal-silver-trasher in tons of games.

(Disclaimer: it's not my card.)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2012, 03:41:51 pm »
+1

Strictly? Forge.
Then 'strictly better' doesn't apply to any card because of Possession. Can't we all agree to define 'strictly better' in a way that we might actually be able to use it to describe anything?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.