Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Iso being down = preparing for Dark Ages?  (Read 28617 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Iso being down = preparing for Dark Ages?
« on: August 02, 2012, 12:38:54 pm »

Just had that thought.  Donald X has said (if I remember correctly) that Dark Ages cards will show up on iso concurrent with the previews, as long as FunSockets isn't officially released yet.  Could it be that the server trouble iso seems to be having is related to those forthcoming additions?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Iso being down = preparing for Dark Ages?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 12:44:31 pm »

It's doubtful.  Dark ages (and guilds) have already been implemented on iso for playtesting purposes.  I can't see any reason why the imminent release on the public server would cause problems.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:45:39 pm »

They will have been added a year or more ago when they started playtesting them. There was no downtime for card additions in the past.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:07:23 am »
+2

Just had that thought.  Donald X has said (if I remember correctly) that Dark Ages cards will show up on iso concurrent with the previews, as long as FunSockets isn't officially released yet.  Could it be that the server trouble iso seems to be having is related to those forthcoming additions?
I know nothing of this server trouble, but at this point I do not expect public isotropic to ever get Dark Ages cards.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 06:43:59 am »
+5

I know nothing of this server trouble, but at this point I do not expect public isotropic to ever get Dark Ages cards.

:'( :'( :'(
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:19:02 am »
+2

Does this mean Funsockets is ready to launch in 3 days with full functionality?

(I was assuming that we'd get Dark Ages cards on Isotropic as they are previewed/released since that's what happened for Hinterlands)

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:22:41 am »

No, that means that Donald does not expect public isotrioic to ever get Dark Age cards...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:08 am »

I would never presume to assume your intent or order you about, but I sincerely hope this means the previewed cards will debut on Goko, instead.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:32 am »

(I was assuming that we'd get Dark Ages cards on Isotropic as they are previewed/released since that's what happened for Hinterlands)

This is hard to believe, given lack of alchemy, cornucopia, hinterlands.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 09:18:43 am »
+2

No, that means that Donald does not expect public isotrioic to ever get Dark Age cards...

I got that... I was being half serious/sarcastic while expressing my displeasure that these cards won't appear on Isotropic considering that Funsockets Dominion probably won't be up and running until 2013 sometime (I'd bet on that).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:21:48 am »

I got that... I was being half serious/sarcastic while expressing my displeasure that these cards won't appear on Isotropic considering that Funsockets Dominion probably won't be up and running until 2013 sometime (I'd bet on that).

Yeah, that's extremely disappointing.  I'd love to know the rationale for it, but Jay's rationales have been lacking or missing in the past.  (I'm sure if it were the decision only of Dougz, that already-implemented cards would go up when revealed.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:22 am »

I know I have no right to complain but I have to admit I've really been looking forward to when dark ages was going to come up on isotropic....

massive disappointment.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 09:51:19 am »
+2

It was a cool fun thing that you got to play with two new Hinterlands cards each day as the previews showed up. I am glad you guys enjoyed that thing in the past. There are cool fun things in the present too, but not that one.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 11:04:25 am »

I'm happy that the previews won't go up on isotropic, because I'd rather learn the set playing IRL. But I'm sad that Dark Ages won't be playable anywhere online for a loooooong time (given that FunSockets doesn't have all existing cards yet, so it'll take a while to get to Dark Ages).

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:47 am »

The big problem for me is that I plan to spend a good bit of coin on Goko Dominion once that's released. And since I play online far more than IRL, I don't think I could justify the physical copy expense for Dark Ages. So I guess I won't be playing Dark Ages for a while.

Maybe I can convince a friend to buy it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 11:25:06 am »

The big problem for me is that I plan to spend a good bit of coin on Goko Dominion once that's released. And since I play online far more than IRL, I don't think I could justify the physical copy expense for Dark Ages. So I guess I won't be playing Dark Ages for a while.

Maybe I can convince a friend to buy it.

Hopefully "a good bit of coin" will only mean a few dollars per expansion.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 11:25:52 am »

I'd rather learn the set playing IRL.

If anything, Isotropic has taught me how terribly wrong I was playing the cards at home. Understanding of card interactions would be increased by having a computer work out the nasty logic until I "get it".

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 11:37:39 am »

The sting of this will be lessened if Dark Ages actually makes it into stores in August. However, I've learned to expect "unexpected delays". Are the GenCon copies still being shipped normally, or will they be air shipped?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 11:50:48 am »

I'm buying physical Dark Ages, I'd love to find in the box a serial number or code or such that buys me the virtual cards on Goko.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 12:15:12 pm »
+2

I'm buying physical Dark Ages, I'd love to find in the box a serial number or code or such that buys me the virtual cards on Goko.

thats somewhat confirmed

http://playdominion.com/base

(it references dark ages and the guilds)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
Xmas just got cancelled
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 12:32:08 pm »

We've got the physical version preordered (I like the social aspect of playing IRL as well as the fast competitive action on Isotropic) but past experience suggests that it will be a fair while before we're playing Dark Ages IRL down here in Australia.

Again not trying to have a go at anyone here.... the creator and designers of the various versions of Dominion are quite entitled to release them as they see fit.... I'm just expressing the disappointment of having wrongly got my hopes up....

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 12:44:12 pm »

We've got the physical version preordered (I like the social aspect of playing IRL as well as the fast competitive action on Isotropic) ...
How have you pre-ordered it? Is it an Australia-specific thing or a local store? I haven't found anyone willing to let me do the same.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 12:53:03 pm »

Dougz already mentioned what's going on with the server here:

So the basic problem is, the dominion server is hosted at my home (on a Comcast so-called "Business Class" connection) and I moved.  Got the connection set up in the new place on Friday, everything seemed fine, drove the machine over to the new place, changed the DNS to point to the new IP, all seemed well.

Then I started getting emails about connection problems at a higher-than-usual rate.  I poke around and discover lots of packet loss (a low rate constantly, plus frequent bursts of 50-60% loss).  Call Comcast.  A guy comes over Monday afternoon.  "Oh, the <something something> signal is way too low, probably a problem with the main splitter for the building."  He arranges for the maintenance team to come over Tuesday and fiddle the building's junction box.  They do that.  It seemed somewhat better, but then yesterday evening I start getting lots of packet loss again.  I called them this morning.  They're escalating, for what that's worth, they think it's a "line issue" rather than anything inside my house, I have a ticket number, but apart from that I'm just waiting to hear from them.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 07:45:15 pm »

....well, that's disappointing.  Fair, but disappointing.  Kinda hard to stay hyped for the spoilers now, though, since I don't know when (if) I'll get a chance to play with the cards.

EDIT: OH MAN SOMEBODY FOUND SOMETHING THAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE ART SPOILERS
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:55:51 pm by Tombolo »
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

cooperaa

• Steward
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 11:31:29 pm »

It was a cool fun thing that you got to play with two new Hinterlands cards each day as the previews showed up. I am glad you guys enjoyed that thing in the past. There are cool fun things in the present too, but not that one.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.