Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Opening Quiz...  (Read 1625 times)

fp

• Thief
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
Opening Quiz...
« on: July 26, 2011, 03:26:07 pm »

One thing I plan to do soon is to set up an Opening Quiz where players can look at a board and choose openings and compare their answers to other (typically less experiences)( players. However, I need a few (8-10) more experienced players to set a seed (e.g. "correct answers") for the quiz. Please pm if interested. I hope to have it up by the end of the week.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Quiz...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 05:10:06 pm »

There can be no right or wrong answers...

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 05:17:00 pm »

I think there is a indeed a right answer (the one that maximizes probability to win), but it might depend on what your opponent does (my gut is that is unlikely in Dominion), and that in general there are many interesting boards, where it will be hard to give very conclusive proof that a particular choice is the absolute best.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 05:22:01 pm »

I think there is a indeed a right answer (the one that maximizes probability to win), but it might depend on what your opponent does (my gut is that is unlikely in Dominion)

Do you mean it's unlikely that it ever happens, or only that sets where it happens are uncommon? I'm nearly certain it happens in general. To pick the most obvious class of example that occurs to me, I think there are sets where Lighthouse would be part of a correct opening if your opponent bought an attack but not otherwise. (Like it would be a bad idea against a Big Money bot.)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 05:24:58 pm »

Sure, lighthouse against say, a sea hag or ambassador could be a good play.  Or opening lighthouse against an opponent who got a lucky 5/2 mountebank could be worth it.  But even the chance of lighthouse and a nasty attack co-occuring is pretty low.  And the lighthouse still has to be better than getting a silver and progressing somewhat quicker towards getting the nasty attack yourself.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.